Parents Please Wake Up

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's easy to make a pirate hat simply by folding a piece of newspaper! Arrr!

http://www.uggabugga.com/Arts & Crafts/Origami/Origami - Hat Instructions.htm
    What would be more appropriate project for a family night? This, or a pine cone bird feeder?
    If everyone makes a hat, you could play pirate family!
    True, but what about the birds?!

Pirate family could make bird feeders together. "Arr. Is it a pinecone ye be needing?"
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

What would be more appropriate project for a family night? This, or a pine cone bird feeder?
    Pirate family could make bird feeders together. "Arr. Is it a pinecone ye be needing?"
    Are there pirates in areas that have conifers?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Pirates are everywhere. Also, there are conifers in the tropics. Belize, for example.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Pirates are everywhere. Also, there are conifers in the tropics. Belize, for example.
    Well, shiver me timbers!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I kind of figured there might be some opposition to what I said, and it makes me hesitant to post on this site. I'm one of those people that simply HATES drama and negativity. I never dreamed, though, that there would be so many hateful people on a topic I was hoping most of us would agree on.

I just logged on about 40 minutes ago and I'm shocked to find so many responses to this post (almost 400? WHOA!). I'm trying to get caught up on reading it, but it will take me a while. I'm a little unnerved at some of the venom that has come my way because of the post. But I will happily endure it if it helps even just one parent start to think about making healthier choices for their children.

Thank you to those who have given the words of encouragement! I really appreciate that. And though I probably won't be addressing everyone's comments (that would take me way too long lol) know that I'm reading what you all are writing and absorbing what you're saying.

I really am glad (though shocked) this post blew up like this. Even though there seems to be some negativity, the fact that there is such a response to this makes me hopeful that others care about this issue as well.

Thanks to everyone for your comments! :)
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Sorry, I must disagree. Abuse is something that causes long term physical or mental harm. Obesity can do this. It can, in fact, cause permanent physical or mental damage.

You have to start taking responsibility for yourself at one point, though. You can't just sit there and say "I'm obese because my parents fed me like **** for part of my life". You're obese because YOU made the choice to shove **** down your own throat, not exercise, or a combination of both.

Until a certain age children simply do not have the mental faculties to think of the long term consequences of becoming obese. That's what parents are for. If a child is obese it is the fault of the parent(s).

I'm not talking about obese children, numskull, I'm talking about obese adults who blame their parents for their issues.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Maria, I agree with you 100%. Its nobodys business what someone else feeds their kids. Feed yours what you want and leave it at that.

Actually, it is my business what your kids eat. If you kids are too fat to work, end up on medicaid, and then get so fat they have a heart attack, we all pay for that with our taxes. Obesity is driving up the cost of health care in this country at an alarming rate. Type two diabetes hardly existed 40 years ago! Now it's a friggin' epedemic! Additionally, I also have to work and live with your kids, and they will the ones carrying on this society in the future. Do all of you ignorant people really think America will remain a "super power" with a bunch of little fatties running around? No. China's healthy children are going to kick our fat kids butts.

Riiiight because eating junk food once in a while is going to make kids fat. Last time I checked both of my kids are pretty damn lean and active. Again, mind your own. China's going to kick our *kitten* because we've borrowed a ****ton of money from them not because we're all fatasses.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    You know what's great about this thread? I think it's fair to say that everyone who posted had a point. Some were more zealous than others, but they all had good thoughts about the issue and/or the problem.

Just like training ourselves to eat healthy and exercise, there are always obstacles in the way with our kids. It's the rare person who knows all the "right" stuff to do and can actually do it 24/7.

Hopefully we all keep learning, teach by example, and share what we learn with our friends and family.

(Like the Prell commercial...I told two friends, then she told two friends, and so on, and so on - You're older like me if you remember that one!)

I totally agree! I've only read up to page 4 (of 17 -oh my! lol) right now, but reading the responses so far, I see that there are so many people passionate about this issue! And I think that's wonderful! Though there seems to be some disagreement about some of the issues, most people have made vary valid points. It's all wonderful "food for thought". :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think this thread should have been left at "Yes. Some parents are idiots, and some non-parents are idiots, and many many people make rubbish food choices because they are too stupid to have any idea what food even is any more beyond marketing and bright colours and shoving stuff in their face".

How about that?

The thing I object to is mentioning it ON HERE. Because I would put money on anyone who actually bothers to be here being a bit more educated about food than that, and therefore already doing the right thing by their children, or at least starting to. That fact makes the whole thing sound like a bit of a bizarre rant against the OPs own parents, and not really a conversation the rest of us should even be party to.

That's my take anyway.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I think this thread should have been left at "Yes. Some parents are idiots, and some non-parents are idiots, and many many people make rubbish food choices because they are too stupid to have any idea what food even is any more beyond marketing and bright colours and shoving stuff in their face".

How about that?

The thing I object to is mentioning it ON HERE. Because I would put money on anyone who actually bothers to be here being a bit more educated about food than that, and therefore already doing the right thing by their children, or at least starting to. That fact makes the whole thing sound like a bit of a bizarre rant against the OPs own parents, and not really a conversation the rest of us should even be party to.

That's my take anyway.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But just because someone is on this site and on the forums doesn't automatically mean they are making healthy food choices for themselves and/or their children. I'm sorry if you find this post offensive or think it's a "bizarre rant" against my parents. That wasn't my intention at all. My mom and I are good. She knows the way she raised us wasn't the best way to go about doing things, but she's eating healthier now than she ever has been before, and I don't hold any ill will against her for the way she raised me. I love her very much and know she did the best she could with what she KNEW. Bottom line is, she didn't know any better. This post wasn't meant as an attack on anyone, but simply as an expression about the current situation in our country when it comes to childhood obesity and an opening of a dialog about it. If this post makes just want parent want to start feeding their kids a bit healthier foods, then why would anyone not want that?
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Also,....I can't stand when parents say, "You are NOT leaving the table until you finish the food on your plate." If they're full.. they're FULL! If they don't like it... they shouldn't have to eat it. When I was a kid..I had to eat what was on my plate. It was LIVER! Thank goodness for dogs! Blah!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

How about that?

That's my take anyway.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But just because someone is on this site and on the forums doesn't automatically mean they are making healthy food choices for themselves and/or their children. I'm sorry if you find this post offensive or think it's a "bizarre rant" against my parents. That wasn't my intention at all. My mom and I are good. She knows the way she raised us wasn't the best way to go about doing things, but she's eating healthier now than she ever has been before, and I don't hold any ill will against her for the way she raised me. I love her very much and know she did the best she could with what she KNEW. Bottom line is, she didn't know any better. This post wasn't meant as an attack on anyone, but simply as an expression about the current situation in our country when it comes to childhood obesity and an opening of a dialog about it. If this post makes just want parent want to start feeding their kids a bit healthier foods, then why would anyone not want that?

It's probably a culture clash, I am from the UK, and where I live you just don't really see obese children. In fact I can think of maybe 3 out of the many hundreds I know, and none of their parents feed them badly, and none of them have even slightly overweight parents, they are just children who really like food. Most people I know struggle to get their children to eat at all. It's one of those things we always talk about, how our children won't bl00dy eat anything!
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options

How about that?

That's my take anyway.

I agree. I wondered why it was on mfp in the first place since people are here to keep themselves accountable of their food choices.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Im bumping this to read later,I have to go to McDonalds to pick up dinner for the kids

:laugh:
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    Nvm
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I need this in "my topics" to read in the morning.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

How about that?

That's my take anyway.

It's probably a culture clash, I am from the UK, and where I live you just don't really see obese children. In fact I can think of maybe 3 out of the many hundreds I know, and none of their parents feed them badly, and none of them have even slightly overweight parents, they are just children who really like food. Most people I know struggle to get their children to eat at all. It's one of those things we always talk about, how our children won't bl00dy eat anything!
    I have to agree with this at my daughters school there is about 2overweight kids and I don't know anyone who would eat at McDonald's everyday so I think our cultures our quite different
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I kind of figured there might be some opposition to what I said, and it makes me hesitant to post on this site. I'm one of those people that simply HATES drama and negativity. I never dreamed, though, that there would be so many hateful people on a topic I was hoping most of us would agree on.

I just logged on about 40 minutes ago and I'm shocked to find so many responses to this post (almost 400? WHOA!). I'm trying to get caught up on reading it, but it will take me a while. I'm a little unnerved at some of the venom that has come my way because of the post. But I will happily endure it if it helps even just one parent start to think about making healthier choices for their children.

Thank you to those who have given the words of encouragement! I really appreciate that. And though I probably won't be addressing everyone's comments (that would take me way too long lol) know that I'm reading what you all are writing and absorbing what you're saying.

I really am glad (though shocked) this post blew up like this. Even though there seems to be some negativity, the fact that there is such a response to this makes me hopeful that others care about this issue as well.

Thanks to everyone for your comments! :)

I think everyone who replied cares about this issue, just have different ideas about how to do it

The comments some people made about people taking responsibility for themselves after childhood is a very valid point - but I don't think it's fair to accuse everyone who says that factors in their childhood led to their weight problem of making excuses. Explaining why a problem is as it is, isn't making an excuse, it's identifying a reason. When you know the reasons why you have a problem you are a step closer to being able to fix it. Lots of people try to lose weight and repeatedly fail, because they haven't addressed and dealt with the underlying emotional issues that led them to have the problem in the first place. So there's nothing wrong with saying that childhood problems/parental attitudes etc are the cause of obesity in some adults - the difference lies in where those people go from there, i.e. address the problem, find a way to deal with it, and move on in a better way, versus wallowing in self pity over it. There's a huge middle ground between denying that childhood has any influence over us (which is not true at all!!) and wallowing in self pity over childhood issues/using it as an excuse for doing nothing (which I don't see anyone on the thread advocating! and the fact they're on this site at all means they're doing something about it!)
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

I think everyone who replied cares about this issue, just have different ideas about how to do it

The comments some people made about people taking responsibility for themselves after childhood is a very valid point - but I don't think it's fair to accuse everyone who says that factors in their childhood led to their weight problem of making excuses. Explaining why a problem is as it is, isn't making an excuse, it's identifying a reason. When you know the reasons why you have a problem you are a step closer to being able to fix it. Lots of people try to lose weight and repeatedly fail, because they haven't addressed and dealt with the underlying emotional issues that led them to have the problem in the first place. So there's nothing wrong with saying that childhood problems/parental attitudes etc are the cause of obesity in some adults - the difference lies in where those people go from there, i.e. address the problem, find a way to deal with it, and move on in a better way, versus wallowing in self pity over it. There's a huge middle ground between denying that childhood has any influence over us (which is not true at all!!) and wallowing in self pity over childhood issues/using it as an excuse for doing nothing (which I don't see anyone on the thread advocating! and the fact they're on this site at all means they're doing something about it!)

This
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maria, I agree with you 100%. Its nobodys business what someone else feeds their kids. Feed yours what you want and leave it at that.

Actually, it is my business what your kids eat. If you kids are too fat to work, end up on medicaid, and then get so fat they have a heart attack, we all pay for that with our taxes. Obesity is driving up the cost of health care in this country at an alarming rate. Type two diabetes hardly existed 40 years ago!

I grew up in the 60's and 70's when fast food was not the norm, parents still cooked dinner and families ate together, and type 2 diabetes was commonly referred to as "adult onset diabetes" because it was extremely rare for a child to contract it. Sadly nobody calls it that these days. I will never understand parents that try to justify feeding their children poorly.