Parents Please Wake Up

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Abuse is something that is done with malicious and cruel intent. Parents are not saying to themselves, "I'm going to feed my kids junkfood on purpose until they become obese!" It is unintentional. Therefore, this would not be considered abuse.

I have to disagree with this. Physical abuse isn't always done with malicious intent. Sometimes people get carried away when they are angry. Just because they didn't intend to harm their child doesn't mean that it is not abuse.

I disagree with this. Many parents occasionally get carried away and punish too severely, even when spanking. It is only when it becomes excessive or routine enough to cause long lasting damage that it is abuse. Calling an otherwise good parent that goes overboard once abusive is the same as saying taking your heathy child to McD (there I mentioned it!!) occasionally is abusive.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

A chunky healthy child would obviously not be a child fed to point of obesity and abuse, correct?
    Though the OP may have mentioned McD, I never have said or implied anything about McD.
    A bruise or broken bone is not the only way to abuse a child. This seems to be something we disagree on.

Abuse is something that is done with malicious and cruel intent. Parents are not saying to themselves, "I'm going to feed my kids junkfood on purpose until they become obese!" It is unintentional. Therefore, this would not be considered abuse.

Sorry, I must disagree. Abuse is something that causes long term physical or mental harm. Obesity can do this. It can, in fact, cause permanent physical or mental damage.

I think your just arguring now.

I previously posted what the state law says is child abuse. What your saying is not it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to be making the distinction between and abusive parent and a stupid one?
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Sorry, I must disagree. Abuse is something that causes long term physical or mental harm. Obesity can do this. It can, in fact, cause permanent physical or mental damage.

You have to start taking responsibility for yourself at one point, though. You can't just sit there and say "I'm obese because my parents fed me like **** for part of my life". You're obese because YOU made the choice to shove **** down your own throat, not exercise, or a combination of both.
  • ShrinkingHollyx
    ShrinkingHollyx Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I have to disagree with this. Physical abuse isn't always done with malicious intent. Sometimes people get carried away when they are angry. Just because they didn't intend to harm their child doesn't mean that it is not abuse.

WHEN THEY ARE ANGRY. Are there tons of angry parents out there getting carried away over feeding their children??

Oh yeah-- when I'm totally pissed at the kids, I force-feed Hershey bars....that'll teach the little snots.

LOL.
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You get into dangerous territory when you try to put your views onto other's parenting.... U.N. Convention on the Rights of a Child, which thank God the U.S. has not yet ratified....calls it abuse to circumcise your infant male children. It would be against the law to "indoctrinate" your children into your faith.

Someone mentioned "verbal abuse." What's verbal abuse? What I call verbal abuse, you may not. Spanking a child is physical abuse to some-- to others it's proper, biblical discipline.

I believe abuse is one of those things that when you see it you know it, I was verbally abused by relatives when I was younger and no, I do not believe it is up for debate, anything that is damaging to a child mentally or physically is abuse. Physically if someone hits a child and it leaves a bruise that is abuse, if someone is constantly calling their kids cruel names and doing significant mental damage, that is abuse.
  • bcattoes
    Options

A chunky healthy child would obviously not be a child fed to point of obesity and abuse, correct?
    Though the OP may have mentioned McD, I never have said or implied anything about McD.
    A bruise or broken bone is not the only way to abuse a child. This seems to be something we disagree on.

and therefore obviously must be laid at the feet of the parents-- ???

If the parents are the custodians of the children and resonsible for providing their food, then yes.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I disagree with this. Many parents occasionally get carried away and punish too severely, even when spanking. It is only when it becomes excessive or routine enough to cause long lasting damage that it is abuse. Calling an otherwise good parent that goes overboard once abusive is the same as saying taking your heathy child to McD (there I mentioned it!!) occasionally is abusive.
    [/quote]

Taking a HEALTHY child to fast food OCCASIONALLY is abusive???????

If the child is healthy and they eat unhealthy OCCASIONALLY its abuse??

Lady are effing nuts?
  • christibear
    Options

You have to start taking responsibility for yourself at one point, though. You can't just sit there and say "I'm obese because my parents fed me like **** for part of my life". You're obese because YOU made the choice to shove **** down your own throat, not exercise, or a combination of both.

Yes I agree, adults have to take responsibility but the choices that parents make nutritionally can (I am not saying always) but can affect someone forever, that is what I am saying. I am not saying my parents are the reason I am obese, it is my fault but it is definitely a contributing factor.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

WHEN THEY ARE ANGRY. Are there tons of angry parents out there getting carried away over feeding their children??

Oh yeah-- when I'm totally pissed at the kids, I force-feed Hershey bars....that'll teach the little snots.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • ShrinkingHollyx
    Options

Lady are effing nuts?

LOL. This thread is becoming too humorous for me to handle.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Until a certain age children simply do not have the mental faculties to think of the long term consequences of becoming obese. That's what parents are for. If a child is obese it is the fault of the parent(s).
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

If the parents are the custodians of the children and resonsible for providing their food, then yes.

So, a 35 year old obese woman, living on her own for, say, 15 years or so who suffered this "permanent physical or mental damage" bears no responsibility-- it's solely her parents fault for force-feeding her crap all her life.

She may have married, be raising her own kids....buys her own groceries...makes her own choices.... but Mommy and Daddy bear the blame for the permanent damage done to her in her childhood?

How convenient-- fits perfectly into our blameshifting culture we are in--

staggering.

Edited to add-- and this is despite all the people in this thread alone who have said that despite being fed HEALTHY food by their parents in their childhood, their formative years, they made BAD choices as adults and ended up obese. Is there some permanent damage we should charge those parents with?

Unreal.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Lady are effing nuts?

That is the exact opposite of what my post says.
  • bcattoes
    Options

So, a 35 year old obese woman, living on her own for, say, 15 years or so who suffered this "permanent physical or mental damage" bears no responsibility-- it's solely her parents fault for force-feeding her crap all her life.

She may have married, be raising her own kids....buys her own groceries...makes her own choices.... but Mommy and Daddy bear the blame for the permanent damage done to her in her childhood?

staggering.

Is the 35 year old obses woman a child?
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

Lady are effing nuts?

Nope pretty sure i read that correctly "same as saying taking your heathy child to McD (there I mentioned it!!) occasionally is abusive."

Are we to the point where you see you are wrong but cant admit it?
  • christibear
    Options

staggering.

Edited to add-- and this is despite all the people in this thread alone who have said that despite being fed HEALTHY food by their parents in their childhood, their formative years, they made BAD choices as adults and ended up obese. Is there some permanent damage we should charge those parents with?

Unreal.

No, she is responsible for the choices that she has made, but just as her choices will affect her kids, her parents choices undoubtedly affected her.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Lady are effing nuts?

Nope pretty sure i read that correctly "same as saying taking your heathy child to McD (there I mentioned it!!) occasionally is abusive."

Are we to the point where you see you are wrong but cant admit it?

No, she is saying that taking a healthy child to McD's isn't abusive.
  • ShrinkingHollyx
    Options

staggering.

You misunderstood the point she was trying to make by a longshot.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

staggering.

I'm referencing the dreaded "permanent physical and mental damage." If it's so permanent, he/she will still be suffering from it even after being out on their own for decades.... If it's all mom and dad's fault, they have a perennial excuse.

Yes?