Parents Please Wake Up

Options

Replies

• seehawkmomma
    Options
    Sorry you find my way of speaking annoying but I'm too old to care to change that now.
    I too am a parent and believe abuse should not be taken lightly or for granted, and I DON"T.
    A lack of education on nutrition to the point of making a child obese and sick is abusive. If you are parent and doing this it is your responsibility to educate yourself and get your child well.
    Hitting your child and over feeding them can both be abusive and can both not be abusive, and both can have just as negative affects on the child's life.
    [/quote]

I'd rather see a chunky healthy child than a bruised one.

How can someone who doesnt know that they are doing anything wrong educate themselves?

Like someone eles stated they need to be judged but only to educate and be positive change in the world.

I see your point of view but I disagree with you once again.

"Child abuse is the physical, sexual, emotional mistreatment, or neglect of a child.[1] In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of Children And Families (DCF) define child maltreatment as any act or series of acts of commission or omission by a parent or other caregiver that results in harm, potential for harm, or threat of harm to a child.[2] Child abuse can occur in a child's home, or in the organizations, schools or communities the child interacts with. There are four major categories of child abuse: neglect, physical abuse, psychological/emotional abuse, and child sexual abuse.

Different jurisdictions have developed their own definitions of what constitutes child abuse for the purposes of removing a child from his/her family and/or prosecuting a criminal charge. According to the Journal of Child Abuse and Neglect, child abuse is "any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation, an act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm".[3] A person who feels the need to abuse or neglect a child may be described as a "pedopath".[4]

I dont see anything in there about how if you feed your child McDonalds its abuse.

Again I think healthy eatting is the proper way to go. I just dont think its abuse.

just saying.
  • ShrinkingHollyx
    ShrinkingHollyx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sorry you find my way of speaking annoying but I'm too old to care to change that now.
    I too am a parent and believe abuse should not be taken lightly or for granted, and I DON"T.
    A lack of education on nutrition to the point of making a child obese and sick is abusive. If you are parent and doing this it is your responsibility to educate yourself and get your child well.
    Hitting your child and over feeding them can both be abusive and can both not be abusive, and both can have just as negative affects on the child's life.

How can someone who doesnt know that they are doing anything wrong educate themselves?

Like someone eles stated they need to be judged but only to educate and be positive change in the world.

"Child abuse is the physical, sexual, emotional mistreatment, or neglect of a child.[1] In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of Children And Families (DCF) define child maltreatment as any act or series of acts of commission or omission by a parent or other caregiver that results in harm, potential for harm, or threat of harm to a child.[2] Child abuse can occur in a child's home, or in the organizations, schools or communities the child interacts with. There are four major categories of child abuse: neglect, physical abuse, psychological/emotional abuse, and child sexual abuse.

Different jurisdictions have developed their own definitions of what constitutes child abuse for the purposes of removing a child from his/her family and/or prosecuting a criminal charge. According to the Journal of Child Abuse and Neglect, child abuse is "any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation, an act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm".[3] A person who feels the need to abuse or neglect a child may be described as a "pedopath".[4]

I dont see anything in there about how if you feed your child McDonalds its abuse.

Again I think healthy eatting is the proper way to go. I just dont think its abuse.

just saying.
    [/quote]

This.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Maria, I agree with you 100%. Its nobodys business what someone else feeds their kids. Feed yours what you want and leave it at that.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If a child is being abused then how they are being raise is reason to be judged. How a child is raised is not anyone's place to judge. How are those not contradictory?
    Never judge? That's ABSURD!
    I judge, because it's this very attitude that has caused the nation, including out kids, to become a nation of obese, miserable people. We need to judge!
    [/quote]

I hope you realize some of my posts in this thread were meant to be taken somewhat tounge-in- cheek. The fact is as parents it seems we're judged on every little thing. It's somewhat redic.

My weight loss journey actually started when I became a mother. I realized that my life, my physique,health issues were not ones I wanted my son to inherit. So I changed for him. Both my kids are happy, healthy and active. It's important for me to model proper habits for them... that includes eating certain foods in moderation. I see real abuse every day. Improper nutrition because of lack of education is not abuse.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Maria, I agree with you 100%. Its nobodys business what someone else feeds their kids. Feed yours what you want and leave it at that.

Do you realize how few threads there'd be on this forum if it were that easy?? Ha.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

just saying.

[/quote]

A chunky healthy child would obviously not be a child fed to point of obesity and abuse, correct?
    Though the OP may have mentioned McD, I never have said or implied anything about McD.
    A bruise or broken bone is not the only way to abuse a child. This seems to be something we disagree on.
  • dapst3r
    Options
    First, I agree with a lot of what is being said here. I have to ask, has anybody sat down and watched Super Size Me? Even with daily exercise fast food and the chemicals used in them is harmful to your body period! I feel as though fast food should not be the norm due to parental laziness, nothing beats a home cooked meal.
  • ShrinkingHollyx
    Options

A chunky healthy child would obviously not be a child fed to point of obesity and abuse, correct?
    Though the OP may have mentioned McD, I never have said or implied anything about McD.
    A bruise or broken bone is not the only way to abuse a child. This seems to be something we disagree on.

Abuse is something that is done with malicious and cruel intent. Parents are not saying to themselves, "I'm going to feed my kids junkfood on purpose until they become obese!" It is unintentional. Therefore, this would not be considered abuse.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Abuse is something that is done with malicious and cruel intent. Parents are not saying to themselves, "I'm going to feed my kids junkfood on purpose until they become obese!" It is unintentional. Therefore, this would not be considered abuse.

I have to disagree with this. Physical abuse isn't always done with malicious intent. Sometimes people get carried away when they are angry. Just because they didn't intend to harm their child doesn't mean that it is not abuse.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

EXACTLY right on the nose.

I see what your sayin BC but ABUSE is done with cruel intent. These parents are NOT being cruel. Unless you know each one of them personally?
  • Aloha2TheSkinnyMe
    Aloha2TheSkinnyMe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    BCATTOES.....are you Stacy. She bailed early, she usually sticks around and comments on everything , wouldn't miss a chance to put in her 2 sense (kind of like you). Just curious if you are one in the same?

No, I don't know the OP but I agree with much of what she said. I have personally known children whose lives were made miserable and lonely due to obesity. And I have a special needs grandson born with congenital GI problems. He is frequently hospitalized at a promient east coast (US) children's hospital. Since he is often on the GI surgery ward I have seen the children in the bariatric surgery ward and it is hearbreaking. Food can definitely be an instrument of abuse for children.

Do you realize that a lot of HEALTHY foods cause GI problems? I will forever be on medication so that I can eat fruits and vegetables without being in severe pain or vomiting. GI problems happen to all different people, so that was quite an odd comment.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps addressing parents on a health and fitness forum may be preaching to the choir.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

I have to disagree with this. Physical abuse isn't always done with malicious intent. Sometimes people get carried away when they are angry. Just because they didn't intend to harm their child doesn't mean that it is not abuse.

WHEN THEY ARE ANGRY. Are there tons of angry parents out there getting carried away over feeding their children??
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My daughter had Ramen noodles last night for dinner and a pop tart this morning for breakfast. Sue me.

I freakin' hate it when people say "Parents you should be doing xyz". I find with parenting especially it's just best if people mind their own business. If my kid's eating McDonald's every day someone says something about it. If I'm giving them nothing but veggies and brown rice I'm "depriving" them. Can't win in this situation.

I know exactly what you mean. And I honestly don't believe that the OP actually has children, based on her post, I truly feel that she just harbors some resentment towards her parents. It irks me when people blame their parents for their own shortcomings. I hear it all too often, and its usually out of the mouth of a hypocrite!

I believe how parents raise their children is their own business but the children are apart of the "their" and how someone raises their kids will affect them for the rest of their lives, FOREVER, period. I do not need to have kids to know the way I was raised has and always will affect me, how do you not see that. And its not necessarily blame, like I said earlier, its understanding why you are the way that you are in some aspects, yes adults are responsible for their own actions but that does not mean that 18 years of your life do not have a significant affect, those who say you need to have children to understand are rude and ignoring the fact that everyone was somebodies child and they know how their parents affected them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps addressing parents on a health and fitness forum may be preaching to the choir.

Said that, like 8 pages ago. I found the original post offensive actually.
  • ShrinkingHollyx
    Options

WHEN THEY ARE ANGRY. Are there tons of angry parents out there getting carried away over feeding their children??

This.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Sorry, I must disagree. Abuse is something that causes long term physical or mental harm. Obesity can do this. It can, in fact, cause permanent physical or mental damage.
  • ShrinkingHollyx
    Options

Sorry, I must disagree. Abuse is something that causes long term physical or mental harm. Obesity can do this. It can, in fact, cause permanent physical or mental damage.

I disagree with you.
  • Marla64
    Options

and therefore obviously must be laid at the feet of the parents-- ???
  • Marla64
    Options

Oh yeah-- when I'm totally pissed at the kids, I force-feed Hershey bars....that'll teach the little snots.