Parents Please Wake Up

Replies

• christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    what about the parents that don't have access to a grocery store? or, if there's one close by, they have to take their 5 kids under the age of 10 on the bus (which costs money) and transfer a few times? or, if there's no money for the bus, they have to walk 3 miles in the snow with their kids because there's no babysitter? or, if there's a babysitter available, how are they going to pay for it when they don't have a job and are on food stamps?

perhaps there's not a grocery store nearby, but a convenience store that sells canned junk? that's where most of the people that i work with do their GROCERY shopping.

junk food keeps kids fuller longer. for me, a big mac meal is going to keep me fuller than a piece of fish and some vegetables. parents buy their kids junk food in the area i work with BECAUSE of this. if they have a set amount of food stamps - let's say 500 a month, because that seems to be the average around my area for a family of 5 (an adult and 4 kids) - junk food is simply going to fill them up longer. many of the families i work with, who are absolutely destitute - once that food stamp money is gone, that's it. i had a mother tell me she was going to go sell plasma to try to get her child a nice Christmas dinner. my hubby and i easily spend 400 a month on food for the two of us, and we mainly buy generics and on sale.

and activity, sure. what about the gangs that shoot people? around here, that's pretty normal. or people who just mug you on the street. there are rec centers, but they cost money to enroll. most parents that i work with don't want their kids outside unless they're home.

education is key here. parents simply need to be educated on the choices for their kids, and access to nutritious foods needs to be improved, particularly in urban areas. and calling this child abuse? no. i work with kids who have been raped by their fathers, had the crap beaten out of them, neglected, been crack babies, etc. that's abuse. this is simply lack of education and lack of access to nutritious foods. unless you've been in this situation (maybe you have, i was just too upset to read through the whole thing) don't bother calling it abuse.

/gets off soapbox

Hear hear! I think the OP that it's important to educate children about food and exercise had some great points, but the numerous comments about feeding kids fast food being abuse go over the top. It seems these days whenever we want to make a point we say things that amount to "If you don't raise your kids this way, it's abusive" because we know people stand up and take notice about child abuse. Not everything that gets labelled as abuse is.

I agree, but there are some extreme cases of childhood obesity where it is abuse, is your 8 year old is morbidly obese, thats abuse. But just taking kids out for fast food is not abuse. I think a healthy relationship with food starts with teaching kids moderation and that can include fast food.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    My parents taught us healthy eating very young, and we had no video games and had to play outside. As a child and adolescent I was thin because of this. We didn't have treats in the house like sugary foods and high fat foods, as they were treats like you said. We had treats once in a while.

I remember always looking forward to Halloween xD
    So, as a child who was raised as the opposite as you, and for those who say the opposite of what you said is bad - I'm telling you, it's not.

I gained due to hectic working schedules in retail management and my own damn laziness. xD

Thank you! Totally can't stand the blaming of childhood-- we didn't have great eating habits, either-- but adulthood brings with it responsibility--

Totally agreed on the issues someone mentioned of childhood activity-- as kids we played touch football, stickball, tag, hide and seek-- these days they're playing Madden on Xbox and are glued to their iPods, et cetera--

if there's anything parents could/should to to encourage healthy living in their kids is to take their gadgets away and kick their arses outside. You encourage them to sit on their behinds with all of their electronic toys, and then complain when they're fat as if somehow it's simply because of what they're fed? What really irks me is when people then complain about the school food-- somehow the schools should be responsible for our kids eating, et cetera--

madness all the way around--
  • CharityEaton
    CharityEaton Posts: 499 Member
    just a question.....do you actually have children???

Just like adults they too sometimes just want to eat the things they shouldn't...and that is totally OK! life is about living! If we teach our kids moderation.....in EVERY aspect of their life then they will have the confidence to make good choices in all that they do.

But if you completely forbid things from them then they will find a way to lie and sneak things.....I would much rather allow them to have the things they like in moderation and learn a healthy way to manage their "junk eating" then for them to go to a friends house and binge eat.
    So yes, I feed my kids nuggests, mac n cheese, pizza whatever with a pile of veggies and a piece of fruit! They are also perfectly capable of passing up dessert if they feel they have had too much unhealthy choices for the day. It's all about balance. I also don't think it is a very smart thing to post such a strong opinion of other people parenting....you have no idea whta they are going through so you really shouldn't judge from the outside. Just because you see a cart full of junk at the store and a child wlaking beside it doesn't mean that is ALL they ever eat...maybe it is a special occasion! Just sayin......judging from the outside is not a true way to evaluate someones lifestyle.
    I reccomend that you read the following books: Good Calorie, Bad Calorie and Why we get fat and what we can do about it
    both are by Gary Taubes.
    Good reading.
  • christibear
    My parents taught us healthy eating very young, and we had no video games and had to play outside. As a child and adolescent I was thin because of this. We didn't have treats in the house like sugary foods and high fat foods, as they were treats like you said. We had treats once in a while.

I remember always looking forward to Halloween xD
    So, as a child who was raised as the opposite as you, and for those who say the opposite of what you said is bad - I'm telling you, it's not.

I gained due to hectic working schedules in retail management and my own damn laziness. xD

Thank you! Totally can't stand the blaming of childhood-- we didn't have great eating habits, either-- but adulthood brings with it responsibility--

Totally agreed on the issues someone mentioned of childhood activity-- as kids we played touch football, stickball, tag, hide and seek-- these days they're playing Madden on Xbox and are glued to their iPods, et cetera--

if there's anything parents could/should to to encourage healthy living in their kids is to take their gadgets away and kick their arses outside. You encourage them to sit on their behinds with all of their electronic toys, and then complain when they're fat as if somehow it's simply because of what they're fed? What really irks me is when people then complain about the school food-- somehow the schools should be responsible for our kids eating, et cetera--

madness all the way around--

Yes adulthood brings responsibility for how we eat, but for some their healthy relationship with food was already formed and its a hard relationship to break, I haven't broken it yet. I was an active kid, and I still enjoy being active but I was in NO WAY taught moderation. Even though I rode bikes and loved to walk (as a middle and high schooler I walked several miles everyday) I was always heavier because of how I ate, not because I wasn't active.

Teaching kids about proper nutrition and exercise is key.
  • CharityEaton
    CharityEaton Posts: 499 Member
    one more thing...no matter what our upbringing we are ALL capable of learning new things and making horrible mistakes all in one day.
    It happens but I think passing the buck off on your upbringing is a little silly.
    The diet and health industry is a forever changing thing and the information that we have today is completely different from what our grandparents and parents were taught. Just look at how the Food Pyramid thing has changed just in my 32 years of life!
    It started as the 4 food groups then the pyramid thing with all the squares, then the pyramid with the long strips and now the "my plate" thing.
    Yes, parents need to think about what their kids are eating but as an adult you have all the power required to change yourself...stop blaming your past and take a step forward. it is NEVER to late to LEARN and it is never to late to change. Begging parents to change on MFP is not going to get you anywhere...we are all here to make healthy living a part of our life so don't you think we are doing that for our families as well?
  • Marla64
    one more thing...no matter what our upbringing we are ALL capable of learning new things and making horrible mistakes all in one day.
    It happens but I think passing the buck off on your upbringing is a little silly.
    The diet and health industry is a forever changing thing and the information that we have today is completely different from what our grandparents and parents were taught. Just look at how the Food Pyramid thing has changed just in my 32 years of life!
    It started as the 4 food groups then the pyramid thing with all the squares, then the pyramid with the long strips and now the "my plate" thing.
    Yes, parents need to think about what their kids are eating but as an adult you have all the power required to change yourself...stop blaming your past and take a step forward. it is NEVER to late to LEARN and it is never to late to change. Begging parents to change on MFP is not going to get you anywhere...we are all here to make healthy living a part of our life so don't you think we are doing that for our families as well?

Indeed--

It ain't rocket science-- "education?" Is there anybody alive who can't tell that an apple is better for you than Apple Jacks?
  • christibear

Its not passing the buck, its understanding why some of us are the way that we are in regards to food. I said I take responsibility for what I eat, but I also know that my relationship to food was developed as a child and teenager, and it is a hard relationship to change.

Its not silly, its silly to say that parents do not have a permanent affect on their kids, they do not get all of the credit and none of the blame it does not work like that.

I love my parents and I am changing the way I approach food, and I have made great strides with my relationship to food, but I know that the way I was raised to eat will affect me for the rest of my life at least a little.

You may call it blame but I call it understanding how I got the way that I did.
  • christibear

Indeed--

It ain't rocket science-- "education?" Is there anybody alive who can't tell that an apple is better for you than Apple Jacks?

But if you were not raised with fruit, like I wasn't its not that easy to just change your mind. Its not, I'm sorry. I cannot even eat apples because I never ate them as a child and now the texture makes me ill, and I cannot help but think if I was raised to enjoy fruit would that be the case, I don't think it would be.

I know that I am responsible for how I eat not but its not as cut and dry as "your an adult let go of your childhood."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Begging parents to change on MFP is not going to get you anywhere...we are all here to make healthy living a part of our life so don't you think we are doing that for our families as well?

Everyone is not. I've ready many posts that say something like "I have kids so I have to have junk in the house" or "I have to cook 2 dinners now because I have kids". A parent knows that food is so unhealthy that they shouldn't eat, but they continue to feed it to their children. It's defies common sense.
  • Marla64

Indeed--

But if you were not raised with fruit, like I wasn't its not that easy to just change your mind. Its not, I'm sorry. I cannot even eat apples because I never ate them as a child and now the texture makes me ill, and I cannot help but think if I was raised to enjoy fruit would that be the case, I don't think it would be.

I know that I am responsible for how I eat not but its not as cut and dry as "your an adult let go of your childhood."

I'm sorry, but it is that easy-- the question was do you know it's better for you? The education part is obvious-- unless you've lived under a rock, you know healthy food from unhealthy-- basic healthy food-- fruits, veggies, et cetera. Whether you were raised with it and/or have to develop a taste isn't at all the issue-- it's do you know what's good for you and what's not?

If you do, which as an adult I would think we all do, then the responsibility is yours to make the wise and responsible eating choices -- difficult? Maybe. Hard habits to break? Undoubtedly-- we all do, or we wouldn't be here. But our responsibility just the same.

Responsibility to our family? Sure-- but that's entering a topic that's very sensitive and personal-- and others need to stay out.
  • Well I have to be one of the few who TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. When I married my bodybuilder husband, he was super healthy (still is, of course). I still don't eat as healthy as he does, but at least I don't eat junk all the time or eat fast food (hardly ever). We vowed that our chidren would BE TAUGHT...as PARENTS SHOULD DO...what's healthy, what's not, how much to eat, when to STOP, and staying active and exercising daily (even if it's just for a bit).

Our daughter is the healthiest child in her class at school...but we don't buy her the "easy" school lunches (which would save me so much time). I make her lunch every single night for school the next day, and you can be darn sure that it's VERY healthy...but also VERY good-tasting. I've been doing this every single day of her life since she was born...starting around 12 months, while she was still exclusively breastfeeding. She self-weaned at about 20 months of age, so she's had a "homemade lunch" (haha, literally!) since the day she was born.

And I wouldn't have done it any other way.

PARENTS...wake up. You are giving your children a death-sentence. They are learning from YOU. They want to be like YOU. They want to please YOU. Give them a positive role-model to look up to...you're #1 in their book!

how can you sit here and assume that these parents need to wake up and accuse them of giving the children they love a death sentence????? some parents CANT afford to buy the expensive foods and single parents who have to work may not have the time to prepare gourmet foods you and your bodybuilder husband can afford. shame on you for making assumptions. Instead of complaining next time you see someone at the grocery store while you are stocking up on your healthy foods and they are strugglilng to buy the cheaper foods so their kids they love can survive, throw them some money and help them out so you can stop feeling the need to accuse parents of giving their kids a death sentence for money they may not have

PARENTS THESE DAYS NEED TO WAKE UP and show their children what is healthy and what is not. They need to show them what to eat and what not to eat, just as much as they need to show them how to tie their shoes.

HEALTHY FOOD doesn't have to be expensive. We spend about $30 a week for two-three HEALTHY meals per day, feeding our family of THREE. We have SALAD at dinner instead of FRIES. Healthy? Yes. Cheaper? Most definitely. We don't eat ANYTHING gourmet. I am SUCH an awful cook it's not even funny. So don't presume that we're buying expensive foods that "oh poor pitiful me" can't afford. I HAVE bought groceries for the person in front of me at the grocery before, when I noticed they were struggling to buy the basics. HEALTHY FOOD DOESN'T HAVE TO BE EXPENSIVE. You can buy healthy food that is CHEAP, too. I guarantee, if you STOP buying the junk, you will have more money for the HEALTHY food than you'll know what to do with.

My husband and I got married having NOTHING...between the two of us, we worked FOUR full-time jobs, and currently, he works one full-time job, I work one full-time job, and I also own an additional business that I started from the ground up, which we both work in. Is it HARD WORK to make the choice to put HEALTHY FOOD on the table? Do we have to work THREE JOBS to make things happen and have what we want in our lives and our children's lives? YES IT IS, and YES WE DO. That is the choice that we made, and we sacrifice certain things in order to make that happen.

Shame on YOU for making assumptions. I'm pretty PROUD of the CHOICES I make daily, in order to ensure that my kids are HEALTHY, ACTIVE, and not sitting in front of a boob tube, gorging on JUNK. I wish some parents (married, single, in between, illegal aliens, extra-terrestrials, or whatever kind of parents they are) would TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for their CHOICES to stuff junk into their kids, under the pretense of the "can't afford it pity party".

You CAN if you WANT to. You have to WANT it bad enough.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Maybe you just don't like apples. If you don't like ANY fruits or vegetables then that would likely be psychological and you may need help to overcome it.
  • christibear

Indeed--

I'm sorry, but it is that easy-- the question was do you know it's better for you? The education part is obvious-- unless you've lived under a rock, you know healthy food from unhealthy-- basic healthy food-- fruits, veggies, et cetera. Whether you were raised with it and/or have to develop a taste isn't at all the issue-- it's do you know what's good for you and what's not?

If you do, which as an adult I would think we all do, then the responsibility is yours to make the wise and responsible eating choices -- difficult? Maybe. Hard habits to break? Undoubtedly-- we all do, or we wouldn't be here. But our responsibility just the same.

Responsibility to our family? Sure-- but that's entering a topic that's very sensitive and personal-- and others need to stay out.

Well I am glad that it has been that easy for you, but for some people its not. I would undoubtedly say that I am a food addict and I am not addicted to fruit. So while 90% of the time I love to eat healthy sometimes its hard, I am talking about mental and physical cravings and I know this addiction stems from when I was a child, so like I said it is not as cut and dry as your an adult eat better, at least not for some of us. I have had cravings so bad they kept me up at night, and I am not placing the blame but I understand that it started as a child, plain and simple.

I do not understand this, I am not saying anything about your responsibility to your family, only about my parents responsibility to me, I had great parents for the most part but when it came to healthy choices my parents did not live up to their responsibility and that is something that I WILL have to live with for the rest of my life.

I make healthy decisions but they are not EASY decisions and no just because something is better for you does not mean its an easy decision to make.

And my father was in the army, and he was a martial artist, he knew how to make healthy decisions and he didn't, and I take responsibility for how I eat but my relationship with food has been a hard one to change maybe not for you but thats good for you for me for a long time it was a daily struggle and I still get severe cravings.

This is not a cut and dry, easy to define subject and anyone who thinks it is, is kidding themselves.
  • christibear

Maybe you just don't like apples. If you don't like ANY fruits or vegetables then that would likely be psychological and you may need help to overcome it.

I understand that, but my point was I would probably have a very different response to some flavors and textures had I been raised on them.

*Edit, there were some fruit I did not even know existed until I was an adult, and there were very few that I had ever tried as a kid.

There are some fruit I love but it took me a while to get used to the texture because I was not used to eating them.
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Young or old we eat what we want. Filling the refrig with fruits, vegs, low fat whatever, Isn't going to stop school trading and just plain not eating. How healthy is not eating at all? Children are influenced more out of the house then in. It's called fitting in or finding persons like themselves. At any age we can decide when we want to control how much we eat 14 or 40. Blaming other people for our own choices is like saying we are not in control of ourselves. "Only I can hurt me, should I choice". Power, will and choice are ours to control.

LOL I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. :) I think parents play a HUGE role in how there children eat. Yes, they may not eat the most nutritiousness stuff when they are around, but parents still control what goes on the dinner table and what they serve them for breakfast, snacks, etc. And when a parent teaches a child about good nutrition and teaches a kid to make healthy food choices it has lasting effects.

alot of kids can and do burn those calories off with sports. Moderation is the key and also not making blanket statements about how everyone should eat this or that. My neice eats like a horse, good food and bad and still look extremely skinny. My children are all fairly healthy, at decent weight levels, and eat good food as well as junk. The point is each child/ person is different and not everything is the parents fault. Maybe the better request would have been please pay attention to your children so you know if their having a problem with junk food, a lack of activity, or with portion sizes.

But what happens when these skinny children grow up and get jobs and stop participating in childhood sports? They have not been taught proper nutrition so they continue to eat unhealthy foods and soon are obese and develop obesity related diseases. I beleive we need to teach our children how to be healthy for life rather than how to be skinny children.

If they choose to become inactive after grown there is nothing a parent can do about that. This society of education teaches children about this subject at school so it's not like they don't know at that point that they need to be active and have a balanced diet.

Im sorry but this is wrong, the "education" you get from schools, the barely existent education that you go to lunch afterwards and eat pizza and tater tots, do you really expect that elementary schoolers (which is when I learned the food pyramid which by the way was never brought up again after elementary school) do you really expect them to ignore 18 years of unhealthy eating habits and change just because they are adults with a sedentary lifestyle, its true that children learn what they live, and how you are raised to eat and how you are raised to approach food will affect how you live for the rest of your life. Its your responsibility to change but responsibility also goes to their upbringings at home as well as what they ate at school.

The food pyramid" is no longer taught because nutrition experts no longer consider it a healthy way to eat. For one thing, it contains WAY too many grains.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
  • spookiewon
    I think parents are the biggest influence in a child's diet, but in my household, it was more about body image. My mother was so afraid her 3 girls would be overweight like she was that she forbid sweets & grilled us about our weight. Not surprisingly, this led to secret binges, then guilt, then years of bulimia.

Love is key. Love your child, regardless of his/her weight. Educate your child on healthy choices & the reasons to choose them. Be a good role model in your own diet. Enjoy occasional treats with your children. Make some sweets available daily so they don't feel the need to be greedy or eat in secret. I have 2 boys & keep sweets available. They rarely choose to eat them.

Hear hear. And make sure it's always about health and NEVER about weight. ALL children are beautiful and should NEVER believe otherwise.
  • SpringFlower78
    SpringFlower78 Posts: 25 Member
    Well said you are absolutely right. I remember going to McDonald's all the time.by the time i was 9 i had two 20 gal trash cans full of McDonald toys.At 12 i was 155 pounds. Not only is it unhealthy it is expensive. and honestly i have see myself making that mistake with my children to. fortunately tho both my girls love healthy food to like carrots ,fruits, yogurt and such, so lately they have had fast food once this month. and i plan on making it a bi monthly treat . my girls are both very active and i want them to stay healthy . I know my parents didn't do it on purpose but now there is more facts and education about this subject so there is no excuse for me to let my children suffer from being overweight. :flowerforyou:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I know I am probably the exception and I agree 100% that parents should always teach their children good eating habits.

But, when growing up for my first 5 years I was raised vegan. From then on i was raised vegetarian and even on my birthday, no cake, junk food, candy, etc. I didn't even have soda till I was almost 13! When I moved out at 16 my in shape gymnast body went to hell! I was just so happy to eat all of this junk food and not have anyone tell me what to do.

I am finally down to 115 after going from 105-135 over 3-4 years. Yikes!
  • spookiewon
    You can feed a family of 5 very well on $500. Our budget for 4 people for a month is $500, but that includes our food, cleaning supplies, toiletries, alcohol, and dog food. My family is not going hungry, there is plenty of food in the house for the humans and animals. I do get the point that they can't phsyically get to a decent store - I have gone to the food desert stores - disgusting is the only way I can describe it.

I live in New York, and my budget for food for just my fiancee and I is $400 a month. That's just food, it doesn't include any other house stuff. We eat healthy food at home, and thankfully I have a good job and can afford it. If I lived in NYC where I work, my monthly food budget would EASILY be double that. Food isn't cheap everywhere, but even going off your quote, $500 a month is a lot of money for some people. More than many can afford.

What are you talking about I live in the village and I feed my self on like 50 bucks a week....

Which would be $200/person/month or $1000/month for a family of five. He's doing it cheaper in New York.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I live in Houston and my boyfriend and I spend 150$ a week on groceries. :O

We must be fatties then
    You can feed a family of 5 very well on $500. Our budget for 4 people for a month is $500, but that includes our food, cleaning supplies, toiletries, alcohol, and dog food. My family is not going hungry, there is plenty of food in the house for the humans and animals. I do get the point that they can't phsyically get to a decent store - I have gone to the food desert stores - disgusting is the only way I can describe it.

I live in New York, and my budget for food for just my fiancee and I is $400 a month. That's just food, it doesn't include any other house stuff. We eat healthy food at home, and thankfully I have a good job and can afford it. If I lived in NYC where I work, my monthly food budget would EASILY be double that. Food isn't cheap everywhere, but even going off your quote, $500 a month is a lot of money for some people. More than many can afford.

What are you talking about I live in the village and I feed my self on like 50 bucks a week....

Which would be $200/person/month or $1000/month for a family of five. He's doing it cheaper in New York.