Parents Please Wake Up

Options

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Many people seem to be commenting that while it's good to talk about these things, we actually need to do something about it. Do you know why healthy food is so expensive and junk food is so cheap? It's the U.S.D.A. (for those of you who don't know, that's the United States Department of Agriculture). The U.S.D.A. subsidizes corn and wheat and at a much higher level than any other foods (hence when everything is made with enriched white flour and corn syrup). The farmers that grow the unhealthy stuff are essentially getting rewarded by the government, allowing them to continually expand their farms, leaving less land and no money for the "healthy" food farmers.

I encourage you to do more research on funding for farms in this country (or in your own country for all you UK folks on here) and start educating others about it. If we can change who this government funds food production, then we can make fresh fruits and veggies affordable for everyone as they should be.

Look for local farmers markets in your area as well. In my city there is one everyday of the week at a different location around town. On Thursdays there is one right down the street from my house and I find the produce there to be much cheaper than produce at the grocery store.
  • AZakery
    Options
    I disagree. I think that fast food is healthy in moderation. Especially if you fast all day.. Then you can use all them calories in one sitting.. mmmmmhmmm yum.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Maria, I agree with you 100%. Its nobodys business what someone else feeds their kids. Feed yours what you want and leave it at that.

Actually, it is my business what your kids eat. If you kids are too fat to work, end up on medicaid, and then get so fat they have a heart attack, we all pay for that with our taxes. Obesity is driving up the cost of health care in this country at an alarming rate. Type two diabetes hardly existed 40 years ago! Now it's a friggin' epedemic! Additionally, I also have to work and live with your kids, and they will the ones carrying on this society in the future. Do all of you ignorant people really think America will remain a "super power" with a bunch of little fatties running around? No. China's healthy children are going to kick our fat kids butts.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Many people seem to be commenting that while it's good to talk about these things, we actually need to do something about it. Do you know why healthy food is so expensive and junk food is so cheap? It's the U.S.D.A. (for those of you who don't know, that's the United States Department of Agriculture). The U.S.D.A. subsidizes corn and wheat and at a much higher level than any other foods (hence when everything is made with enriched white flour and corn syrup). The farmers that grow the unhealthy stuff are essentially getting rewarded by the government, allowing them to continually expand their farms, leaving less land and no money for the "healthy" food farmers.

I encourage you to do more research on funding for farms in this country (or in your own country for all you UK folks on here) and start educating others about it. If we can change who this government funds food production, then we can make fresh fruits and veggies affordable for everyone as they should be.

Look for local farmers markets in your area as well. In my city there is one everyday of the week at a different location around town. On Thursdays there is one right down the street from my house and I find the produce there to be much cheaper than produce at the grocery store.

Agreed-- the stuff they're throwing in our food is gross-- we saw excerpts of Food, Inc. that someone else here mentioned earlier-- shocking what goes on in our food production-- scary.

It definitely takes some time and effort to plan and shop and cook healthy meals-- on a tight budget with a large family, it's very, very difficult-- near impossible. not entirely impossible-- but very, very, very difficult--

Also considering that some yahoo is going to call you abusive if you don't.....
  • Marla64
    Options
    Maria, I agree with you 100%. Its nobodys business what someone else feeds their kids. Feed yours what you want and leave it at that.

Actually, it is my business what your kids eat. If you kids are too fat to work, end up on medicaid, and then get so fat they have a heart attack, we all pay for that with our taxes. Obesity is driving up the cost of health care in this country at an alarming rate. Type two diabetes hardly existed 40 years ago! Now it's a friggin' epedemic! Additionally, I also have to work and live with your kids, and they will the ones carrying on this society in the future. Do all of you ignorant people really think America will remain a "super power" with a bunch of little fatties running around? No. China's healthy children are going to kick our fat kids butts.

Do you really think it is anymore? Obama took care of that--

Your position is absolutely ridiculous, with all due respect-- unless my kids hurt someone, what they do-- and specifically what they eat-- is none of your or anyone else's business-- funny you should mention China-- communist sounding people like you belong there.
  • Marla64
    Options

China's healthy children are going to kick our fat kids butts.

and newsflash-- they already are. and it isn't because we have McDonald's-- they have 'em there, too--

Maybe, just maybe, it's because the parents there demand success from the children-- somehow I doubt little Johnnie-san is allowed to spell cat with a K over there because correcting him might hurt his little self esteem.

Somehow I doubt Chinese children are told every soccer game ends in a tie when they're young because to lose a game would be too hard for their wittle egos to handle.

Sure, they're kicking our *kitten*-- and it has everything to do with our ridiculous "self-esteem" culture where we teach our children that everything they do is beautiful and perfect and right-- I'm okay, you're okay-- and we can't even look at 'em the wrong way or some people like the dopes in this thread will scream "abuse."
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    wow, this topic is still going????
  • Marla64
    Options
    It's not just fast food that make people fat. I grew up heavy, and my parents never went to any type of restaurant.

My son was a chubby boy, and it was not due to fast food either.

In reality, many people do not know how to make healthy choices -- parents. Also, they carry around their own pain. We do not walk in their shoes so we cannot judge them.

Teaching (education) on how to make better choices and counseling can help people lose weight.
    Without that, people will find it hard to lose weight.

My problem with that is who teaches? Who foots the bill? Go online and find out anything you need to know and pass it on to your kids if you're inclined.

When I started this journey nearly four years ago, my eating underwent a huge change. My home is limited to white tortilla chips and salsa for snacks-- very, very rarely will we buy potato chips-- maybe for the Super Bowl-- packaged cookies? Nyet. If my kids want some cookies, they can bake 'em-- our home is not void of all "junk" food-- we'll buy the occasional bag of Hershey's kisses if they're on sale....around the holidays, especially, to make some pretzel treats.

Emphasis on "treats." I had a friend who was so extreme he'd accuse parents of poisoning their kids if they fed 'em birthday cake on their birthday-- you know, I'm not ever going to be that kooky or extreme.

Again I'll say-- it is not rocket science to know how to feed yourself and how to feed your kids. The hard part is the self-control.... and that's something you have to conquer within yourself.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's easy to make a pirate hat simply by folding a piece of newspaper! Arrr!

http://www.uggabugga.com/Arts & Crafts/Origami/Origami - Hat Instructions.htm
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Do you know the trick about the story and turning it into a shirt?
  • Contrarian
    Options

No! Please tell me!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

What would be more appropriate project for a family night? This, or a pine cone bird feeder?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

azdb.jpg
  • Demwitted
    Options
    wow, this topic is still going????

I was just thinking that. It's gotten kind of weird and far from the OP....
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im bumping this to read later,I have to go to McDonalds to pick up dinner for the kids
  • Contrarian
    Options

What would be more appropriate project for a family night? This, or a pine cone bird feeder?

If everyone makes a hat, you could play pirate family!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Im bumping this to read later,I have to go to McDonalds to pick up dinner for the kids

naughty.gif
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

If everyone makes a hat, you could play pirate family!
    True, but what about the birds?!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

win!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

Is the shirt in proportion to the hat/ship?