Quit telling people to "suck it up"

Options
1235»

Replies

• whip67
    whip67 Posts: 32
    Options
    You're kind of a d-bag aren't you, herpderp? :)
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    To everyone who is whining about being told to suck it up...SUCK IT UP. It's meant in a supportive way.
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm shocked to see so many jerk responses to your post. And, some of them are rude beyond belief.

If someone is a jerk to you, block them or delete them.

Unfortunately, there is a jerk everywhere you go. In a way, we have to learn to live with them. We can do this by ignoring them.

Keep your eye on your prize and ignore everyone else. There are enough people out there who do care and want to help you work through things.

Working through things is so hard. It's taken me years to get to where I am now. I'm sure alot of people felt the same towards me. Guess what? I don't need them as friends.

In the end, though, you have to learn to let the past go. I know it's hard, but you need to find a way to do this. The future is a new page. If things are very hard for you, you might want to talk to a counselor. I did, and it helped alot. I also watch the biggest loser. Watching those people deal with their pain has helped me to deal with mine and to start to move past it.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    To everyone who is whining about being told to suck it up...SUCK IT UP. It's meant in a supportive way.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    This has been educational.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You know, I love MFP because I see so much support, and then every now and then you get a hard *kitten* telling people to get over their problems, suck it up, and lose weight. While they're probably telling the bitter truth, they should know it's not that simple, and it's not that nice.

First, not trying at all to be a hard *kitten*, I just want to say that I spent my first months on here whining about how I couldn't fit in consistent exercise, etc. A friend messaged me telling me in a kind, but hard *kitten* way that she didn't think I was ready to take this journey. That was when my switch flipped...boy did I want to prove her wrong! So we all respond differently and of course we would prefer encouragement over being told to suck it up, but most of us are here for results and I appreciate it no matter which way the support comes!

I like the approach your friend took. It's a lot less obnoxious than telling you to suck it up, it might have been true, in which case it still sounds better than, "Sorry, you're going to be a couch potato forever!" because it holds out hope that someday you might be ready, and as it turned out, it motivated you to prove your friend wrong. I'd respond much better to that approach than to some cyber hardass trying to bully me. I'm contrary, I only take orders from myself.
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    BTW, there are alot of supportive people on here. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • nazey25
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with enabling people to make poor choices. There are just different ways to deal with different types of people. And some people may need a bit more encouragement rather than the cold hard truth, that can come across as belittling. Just be respectful...is it really so difficult?!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    seriously??

internet-memes-end-of-conversation1.jpg
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    WOW. The first response reminded me why I never bother to come on these boards anymore!

MOCKING her? Really? I love how you have expressed your disagreement with her statement.

I don't care which way you believe but outright MOCKING HER?

Immature bullsh|t.

OP: I'm with you. I take encouragement with a pat on the back better than a militaristic GTFO it.

And with that, I'm back off these stupid boards.
    ... Except I came in to edit and ended up reading more of the same.

MFP years ago had caring individuals invested in helping each other, supporting each other.
    Today is appears to be full of trolls.

*smdh*

PRECISELY!!! Some people just can't help being RUDE!!! Bless the OP for having the gumption to post this and it did need to be said. . :flowerforyou:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    seriously??

internet-memes-end-of-conversation1.jpg

omg bad *kitten*.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Gene Simmons said it best: Lick it Up. When things don't go your way, just lick it up and move on.
  • nazey25
    Options
    It's also clear that there are some people on here that are only here to make rude comments and create drama. They have no interest in actually participating in MFP for what it has to offer (otherwise their profiles wouldn't be blank). So I guess for those of us who don't like seeing that kind of behaviour we should just ignore the morons who have nothing better to do with their days!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    As a trainer, I usually have to tell them to "buck up" and "suck it up". Let's face it, if you really can't do it, you won't. If you don't think you can and someone shows you that you really can, it's much easier to believe rather than hearing "yes you can". When I've heard people say "I can't" and the reply is "yes you can", the next usual words following are an excuse as to why they can't.

In the words of Yoda "Do or do not. There is no TRY".

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I could be wrong, but I would think that people expect to be pushed like that from a personal trainer. (Of course, I would also expect that if they told you that they had shin splints, or a slipped disc or something, you would in your professional capacity give them exercises they could do, and not tell them to suck it up until they were injured.)
    But the same behavior is not appropriate from everybody.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    WOW. The first response reminded me why I never bother to come on these boards anymore!

MOCKING her? Really? I love how you have expressed your disagreement with her statement.

I don't care which way you believe but outright MOCKING HER?

Immature bullsh|t.

OP: I'm with you. I take encouragement with a pat on the back better than a militaristic GTFO it.

And with that, I'm back off these stupid boards.
    ... Except I came in to edit and ended up reading more of the same.

MFP years ago had caring individuals invested in helping each other, supporting each other.
    Today is appears to be full of trolls.

*smdh*

PRECISELY!!! Some people just can't help being RUDE!!! Bless the OP for having the gumption to post this and it did need to be said. . :flowerforyou:
    Bless the OP for making a divisive post that gets everyone up in arms, eh? This whole thread is hypocritical.
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like the saying "Suck it up so one day you won't have to suck it in" It's firm and inspiring at the same time. At least, I think it is!
  • whip67
    whip67 Posts: 32
    Options
    Gene Simmons said it best: Lick it Up. When things don't go your way, just lick it up and move on.

It's only right, now.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fists are flying. I'm locking temporarily while I clean this up.

Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Update:

Regarding the clean-up, I'm not even gonna try. But I will add my perspective, if it has any bearing.

I heard a great phrase a while back, and it stuck with me. Regarding something blunt and rude said to a stranger in a forum, someone remarked "that showed a great deal of courage.com"

I do think that things are said on the message boards that would not be said directly to another human being in a shared physical space.

And I'm saddened by defenses of rude behavior along the lines of "this is what the internet is" or "get off the boards if you can't handle it." Typing at someone is not an excuse to throw away consideration, thoughtfulness, caring, compassion, or any of the other values that allow us to socialize constructively with each other.

And while I strongly agree that different people respond to different sorts of motivation, there are several modes of communication that MyFitnessPal has decided it will not tolerate: specifically: attacking, mocking, insulting, and belittling. There's far too much of that in this thread to make it worth salvaging.

Disagree with each other all you like. New ideas aren't generated without a little friction. But add a soupçon of respect and you'll probably avoid locked threads, warnings, strikes, and rants from yours truly.

OK, taking my soapbox off my high horse now. I'm getting a nosebleed up here.

Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.