Lose 10 pounds challenge in Jan

Options

Replies

• MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with this challenge is it's inaccuracy and the possibility of someone getting bummed out from what they think are lack of results. The challenge should be Body transformation, not weight loss.
    Please let me explain why.
    Lets say you want to loose 25 lbs. So you start cutting back on your calories. You then decide to take up some sort of exercise program. Lets say Cardio with some weight training. This way you tighten your muscles while loosing body fat which will net much quicker results.
    Heres where the problem comes into play. ( I am also using my own personal experience here ).
    Even though you are loosing Body Fat because of Calorie cutting, you are actually weighing more on the scale for the next few weeks. This is because you are weight training. Muscles are heavier than fat. So, You will loose the Challenge by the weight gain or no change in weight you are seeing, yet you will look better in the mirror and your clothes will start to fit better.

So I would recomend the Challenge to be a "Body Transformation" Challenge. This way the winner would be the person who transformed there body in that period of time.
    The other problem with this type of Challenge is that the more overweight you are, the quicker the pounds come off in the beginning. So if someone has 80 pounds to drop, and someone else has 20, The person weighing more will loose much more in the same time period. Which may get a little frustrating to the person with less weight to loose because although they may be working just as hard, they are not seeing the same results.

I dont want to come off as nit picking. I just want to see everyone succeed in there goals and clarify and, or suggest along the way. I hope no one minds :)
    Good luck to all!

I don't want to get into an argument on here :noway: but the initial weight gain from training is (I believe) caused by water healing the muscles, they don't weigh heavier than fat - 1lb = 1lb whether it be fat, muscle or feathers. This 'gain' is lost after the muscles get used to training.

Having said all that, I was gonna dust off my 30DS DVD today but am now wondering whether to bother lol!

I am new at replying to peoples comments so I have no idea if this will work out or not. Even though I agree with what you are saying to some degree the problem is for me is....
    There are some people who can not work out for various reasons, or some that can work out more than others. I can not do the JM 30DS. I can not do a push up. I am joining this group because I can watch what I eat and walk on my treadmill.. I can try to lose a few lbs. I may not lose ten, I am not doing this to be the winner. I am doing this so if in the month of Jan. I can lose one lb then I would have succeeded. One pound a month over a year is 12 lbs, and that would be 12 lbs less than when I started and that would have to be nothing other than a good thing. If this group was about exercising and body "Transformation" then I would not have asked to join. But because this group is about trying to lose 10lbs this month and getting in more water than I did in the month of Dec, then I think I am in the correct group..Maybe you could start a group that you feel suits you better, I am sure there are lots of people on here who would love to do that. People who have lost most of their weight and need to firm up. Good luck to everyone.
  • Happyhealthyliz90
    Happyhealthyliz90 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    SW = 205.5 lbs (Sunday, January 1)
    Week 1 = xxxlbs (Sunday, January 8)
    Week 2 = xxx lbs (Sunday, Jan. 15)
    Week 3 = xxx lbs (Sunday, Jan. 22)
    Week 4 = xxx lbs (Sunday, Jan. 29)
    Total lost = xx lbs (Thursday, Feb 1).
  • lisajuliette
    lisajuliette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    SW - 183 lbs (Sunday Jan 1)
    Week 1 - xxx lbs (Sunday Jan 8 )
    Week 2 - xxx lbs (Sunday Jan 15)
    Week 3 - xxx lbs (Sunday Jan 22)
    Week 4 - xxx lbs (Sunday Jan 29)
    Total lost - xx lbs (Thursday Feb 1)
  • youcannick
    Options
    Hi everyone

My first post, WHAT A GREAT SITE WELL DONE !!!!!

SW - 203 lbs (Sunday Jan 1)
    Thank You
  • youcannick
    Options
    sorry did not know photo would load as shown, but yes it is me!!!

nick
  • PaulC9554
    PaulC9554 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join if still taking on...

SW - 303.6 lbs
  • Jeaniece1
    Jeaniece1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Here's hoping for great weight loss in January!

SW -190.4 lbs (Sunday Jan 1)
  • sugardreams
    Options
    SW -236 lbs (Sunday Jan 1)
  • brobin41101
    brobin41101 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    SW - 185 lbs (Sunday Jan 1)...My weight is still doing the yo-yo thing...:tongue:
  • looking4lisa
    looking4lisa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    SW – 214 lbs (Sunday Jan 1)

12300055.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • heatherjf
    heatherjf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to join =)
    SW - 215 (Sunday Jan 1)
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    SW - 238 pounds (Sunday Jan 1)
  • meana717
    meana717 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    SW - 196.6 pounds (Sunday Jan 1)

Sorry I was late, we were out of town without computer access...
  • abtruse1
    Options
    Yes you are correct a pound is a pound. This article can explain it better than I can.
    http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/f/gainingweight.htm
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with this challenge is it's inaccuracy and the possibility of someone getting bummed out from what they think are lack of results. The challenge should be Body transformation, not weight loss.
    Please let me explain why.
    Lets say you want to loose 25 lbs. So you start cutting back on your calories. You then decide to take up some sort of exercise program. Lets say Cardio with some weight training. This way you tighten your muscles while loosing body fat which will net much quicker results.
    Heres where the problem comes into play. ( I am also using my own personal experience here ).
    Even though you are loosing Body Fat because of Calorie cutting, you are actually weighing more on the scale for the next few weeks. This is because you are weight training. Muscles are heavier than fat. So, You will loose the Challenge by the weight gain or no change in weight you are seeing, yet you will look better in the mirror and your clothes will start to fit better.

So I would recomend the Challenge to be a "Body Transformation" Challenge. This way the winner would be the person who transformed there body in that period of time.
    The other problem with this type of Challenge is that the more overweight you are, the quicker the pounds come off in the beginning. So if someone has 80 pounds to drop, and someone else has 20, The person weighing more will loose much more in the same time period. Which may get a little frustrating to the person with less weight to loose because although they may be working just as hard, they are not seeing the same results.

I dont want to come off as nit picking. I just want to see everyone succeed in there goals and clarify and, or suggest along the way. I hope no one minds :)
    Good luck to all!

This is my 4th time in this challenge and its really just about a target to aim for. Theres no winner just a place for MFP users to challenge themselves and weigh in each week with others. My previous 3 times I've lost 8-9 lbs a month, the 10 gives me something to aim for. If I had less to lose I would join one other challenges and so on.
  • watup
    watup Posts: 6
    Options
    SW: 44 pounds
    Jan 8th =
    Jan 15th =
    Jan 22nd =
    Jan 29th =

Goodluck ppl!!! :D
    Xxx
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I burnt 350 calories on the wii before :D

i gained a few lbs yesterday but i think its just water weight (drank ****loads lol) so I will not weigh myself till next week otherwise I get discouraged and that's not good.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I need this challenge !

SW - 230 lbs (Sunday Jan 1)
  • rjmatthews
    rjmatthews Posts: 13 Member