What's your Job?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and I am a CSR (customer service rep) for a finance company. I do like my job, BUT i have zero time! I work like 45+ hours a week. I'm taking online classes for Elementary education. I want to have a career where I have time to spend with my family and future children. So elementary ed is perfect for me. Hours are 7ish till 3 or 4 and you have summers off!

I am in the work field right now and my only advice is choose a career where you can still have a life and family, bc no matter what you decide you need time for yourself and time to workout and family time. Right now I don't have that so I get depressed. If I want to work out I have to get up at 5am OR go after work at 7pm and If I had children I would only see them for like 30 mins while I get them ready for daycare, (bc I work) or to put them to bed at night. That's what keeps me motivated to finish for elementary ed.

Good luck!

You clearly know very little about the schedule of an elementary (or any) school teacher. June, July and Aug are full of trainings, seminars, and planning for the upcoming school year. School days are more like 7am to 7pm or plan on spending your weekends grading papers and planning. Not to mention in the US, you are underpaid, undervalued, and carry the weight of the world on your shoulders. You see these kids more than their parents. A lot of times, you are a parent, nurse, counselor, maid, and any other caregiver role you can think of...to these children. So unless you are passionate about education, don't plan on this being the career for "family" time.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE being a teacher. I loved it for 10 years in public education and I'm absolutely IN LOVE with being a college instructor...but I'm PASSIONATE about education. And from your post, it seems you may be falling into the "pitfalls" of what society thinks teachers are....it's not about summers off and shortened days.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Got my BS in biology, and worked as a Soil Technician for the USDA for several years. My job was spending 8-10 hours in corn or soybean fields in the late spring, summer and fall, (and farmers are generally NOT fans of the USDA) taking samples of the plants and soil, occasionally the air or nearby water, and then the winter was spent analyzing and creating spreadsheets for the scientist to decipher. Worked in tall corn until the day before my son was born (mid August), and have been a SAHM for the last 7 years. "Real" job paid well, with great benefits, but I won't return to it. Hate the politics. Don't regret my degree....will probably get my substitute teacher certification when my youngest goes to school, and a bachelors is required for that. If I had to do it again, I'd probably be more specialized in my classes....more of an emphasis on nutrition or food chemistry, I think.
  • Julianne8104
    Julianne8104 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Got my degree in History and American Studies and Master's in American Studies... (*cough, should have gotten an MBA)... Working as a Management Analyst for the Govt... weird how things up eh?
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Bachelor's of science in Advanced mathematics, my job title was HR projects manager for TJX in Framingham Massachusetts.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I do quality control for a gravel pit. Just started this in 2010, before that I was sitting in the office running the scales. Been with the same company 26+ years. Got alot of flack from co-workers, going from a cushy desk job to working out in the field, but I have no regrets. It's helped me get stronger & in better shape. Can't beat running up the side of a pea gravel cone for a cardio workout!
  • Chichidiva
    Chichidiva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in Nursing and I love it, although somedays are so fraustrating! I went back to get a BSN and have one semester left (by God's grace). 2 years from now, I plan on getting into the Nurse Anesthetist program at the Baylor College of Medicine! It is the reason I became a nurse initially. I pray things work out!
  • Pirate1974
    Options
    I have worked in education now for 12 years. Began as a volunteer, became a para-educator (classroom aid), then taught for 5 years, assistant principal for 1 and now a principal for 4 years. All at the middle school level. Have loved the journey but am finding that at each level after teacher, you tend to move further away from working with students and more working with adults which can be much more difficult. Would like to find a way to really impact and help at-risk youth and families. Working on a plan that would bridge the gap between where the schools leave off and help with some follow through for families and students and helping them connect with agencies that can help and then helping them follow through. I would like to be able to help knock down the barriers and limit the risk factors that get in the way of some students and their ability to focus on school and education.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am a maintenance coordinator for a property management company. We manage over 650 condos, houses, commercial properties, and apartments. If something is broke, I will make sure I send out someone to fix it. I also do some light accounting work since we're down a bookkeeper and decided to divide up the responsibilities between everyone in the office. Small office - 5 people. I enjoy it :)
  • Mocha02
    Options
    I dont think I've answered this forum so here goes. Plus, Im at work bored... lol

I entered the Air Force (active duty) first because I needed money for college. I was in the Logistics (Supply) career field. While on active duty I was obtaining my college credits but finished the rest of my college education after I finished my first enlistment. (After 5 years).

My first degree is a B.S. in Criminal Justice. Right after I received my post baccaulearette degree in Paralegal Studies. I became a paralegal and worked in various law firms for approximately 5-6 years. During the last 2-3 years of working as a Paralegal I rejoined the military on a part-time basis in the GA Air National Guard to earn some extra income due to divorce and having to support my daughter. So for about 3yrs I was holding down two jobs (one weekend a month paycheck in the guard paid me like I was working for the entire month!). Then I no longer desired to remain in the law field and went to work at the base on a full time basis while still in the Guard. :happy: During that time I had received my Community College of the Air Force degree in Logistics and I am now enrolled in a Master's program for Logistics Management at Ashford University.

I knew I would probably get bored with just working on base, so I dabbled into a couple different community involvement and bike clubs which led me to the night life for a bit. I started to promote for parties and clubs on the side. Eventually creating my own promoting business (Mocha Promotions). I used to promote for parties every week, which put me finishing my Master's degree on hold. The promoting business eventually became tiresome and now I just do it on occasion.

In addition, I also tried out modeling. Found out that is something I enjoy doing and since I have always been physically fit, I figured, well why not try something else. Afterall, Im still young or young at heart at least. :wink:

So here I am trying to become a fitness model as a side hussle. Along the way while the doing the research in fitness, I am finding myself more and more intrigued with the whole bodybuilding world and all the fitness competitions. So I may end up competing at an event some day soon if I have the drive enough to do so! (I enjoy the idea of competiting amongst younger women my height and weight---that would make me feel good about myself!).

I guess you can say I am always trying new things just to say I've done it. And that I was actually good at it. There is still more stuff in store for the future...I know I havent experienced enough stuff yet. Here's to hoping!! :drinker:
  • afalls11
    afalls11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My first degree was in travel and tourism management. I spent 10 years in the travel industry working for a tour wholesaler (funjet Vacations). Loved it. Got to do a lot of traveling to various destinations in order for me to sell you the perfect vacation. It was so much fun. Worked my way up in the company to being in marketing. Traveled to so many places free and now I know how to find the deals and ever pay regular price on anything... Love it.

Now working towards BA in marketing, business management, and a minor in international business. I now work at a major company as an international sales coordinator selling generator parts. Big move from travel to generators, but hoping to move overseas once I finish my degree. I still miss the travel industry.

Anita
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    mommy, wife, maid, cook, taxi driver, counselor, best friend, dog walker, laundry washer, homeschool teacher......AND VERY TIRED!! lol
  • skinnnybride
    Options
    3-4 year old Preschool Teacher...have a degree in Elementary Ed & would love to teach a bit older (probably 2nd or 3rd grade) but jobs are limited here
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a bookstore manager at an allied/trade institute. Went to school for a pharmacy technician (like an idiot) and never found work in my town. :/
    ONE of these days, I'd like to either pursue my love of baking and open a bakery OR study marine biology. I'm the daughter of a fisherman, sue me. :) And I love jellyfish!!