Break up or make up?

Options

Replies

• JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You deserve better and so does your son if he were going to change he would have by now. You're better off without him!

God Bless you and your journey!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Getting married isn't going to make it any better. If he's like this now, he will only be worse as time goes on. Sadly you know inside what is best for you and your son.

This a thousand times over. A house build on sand cannot stand, and will quickly be swept into the abyss of the sea. You can do bad by yourself. Whatever path you choose, good luck. Just remember: Never, ever be a fool for anyone, for any reason.
  • shkytalhick
    Options
    If it were me I would have left him a long time ago. Think of the example he is setting for your son on what is appropiate behavior towards a woman you love!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Is he on the juice or is he a natural D-canoe
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Leave 'em. They never change. Save yourself the heartache.. I know this from experience. Much love <3

While I agree that she should dump this loser I don't think it's fair to make the blanket statement that we never change.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Where does this "people don't change" statement come from? People change...all the time. I change and grow every year.
    I think people need to want to change though.

There is a difference between accepting his apology and hoping he will change and being proactive about dealing with the issues. Again, I say seek couples counseling for the sake of making things work for your son. If he does not want to work on the relationship then that is a different story.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Ok, this thread is a perfect example of why the divorce rate is so high.

1st off let me say the obvious - this is why having children at such an early age is so hard. (my daughter is 23 with a 1yr old and is having some of the same issues and this it what I've said to her),

Relationship themselves are hard...now throw a baby in there and it gets harder 10 folds. Relationship are a team thing. Both sides have to work at it. Get some counseling if he'll agree. Men can change, they just have to want to. I changed so I know it's possible.
    As long as he is not hitting you or the baby I would say try to work together to a solution. If he gets in front of a 3rd party they may be able to talk to him. They may say the same things you are but coming from somebody else it may get thru.
    You have to do everything you can to give that baby a stable home with a good mom and a good dad. After you have tried everything and things don't change or get better you may have no choice but to move on. But for the babies sake...try everything and try HARD.

I like this. It's very true. I'll admit I've been in this boat and after leaving my man, upon reflection, I realized he wasn't always the @sshole. I was very much the bzzzzzzzotch, too. I'm talking about ME, not the person that wrote the thread. We get so caught up in what we want without consideration of what the other person wants. I'm sure if we hear his side of the story it may be just the same, just the other way around. You can't change a man, but I believe he can evolve should he choose and become a better man. That's always the possibility. I got back with my man and we're married now because we came to 'terms". LOL
  • Rethinkmyname
    Options
    Dump the ***** like a bad batch of potatoes. This whole stay together for the sake of the kids is not going to help anyone, leave him, sue him for child support, and find yourself someone more attractive that treats you and your son like the sun shines out of your *kitten*. Take care, make things better for yourself
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So, from what I've seen, you've received five pages so far of the same advice (to leave). Given what you've shared with us (in a couple paragraphs), I'd be inclined to say the same, but ultimately you are the one who needs to make the final decision. I'd hope that if you were together with this guy for a while, he can't be all bad (but only you know your feelings and how he treats you on a daily basis...not us, based on what you've told us when you are angry and on the verge of leaving him).

My suggestion would be that you both seriously consider couple's counselling. I think you need to figure out what you need from each other to be happy, talk about it, and come to an agreement regarding if these things are something you can both provide to each other or not. I'd never suggest staying with someone "for your child", but I feel very strongly that you should exhaust all opportunities to work things out (not saying you haven't already) before going your separate ways.

Something to consider, although it's no excuse, is that you guys are pretty young, and both probably have a lot of growing up to do (and you are going to be forced to do it quickly now that your little one is here). If there is a strong older male figure in his life, you might want to reach out to him in hopes that he can talk some sense into your fiance. Maybe hearing it from someone he respects will help him realize what he's at risk of losing here and the seriousness of the situation; that it's time to grow up, be a man, accept his responsibilities and help re-prioritize the things in his life.
  • sunflower_yogi
    sunflower_yogi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    leave. now.
  • lynnarnsdorf
    Options
    Sweetie...LEAVE...you are worth so much more than how you are being treated...and your son as well.
  • Jhulet
    Jhulet Posts: 32
    Options
    Leave him, he obviously cares nothing for you or his child since he just wants to play xbox. You are better off without him and there are plenty of men out there that would love to have a woman like you and a son. Find a real man.

Agreed! And I agree with all the others who have said much of the same! There are real men out there, you don't need to settle for a selfish and clearly abusive boy. Besides, as others have said, I too, think you already know what you should do. If he will act like this, there is nothing to say it won't escalate and turn physical as well.
  • shasha_84
    Options
    Leave him! You are gorgeous and could do so much better than someone like that. Marrying him will not fix the problem, it will only make it harder to get out.
  • Laureen74
    Laureen74 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Leave - this isn't love! You don't want your son growing up in this type of environment!
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As long as he is not hitting you or the baby I would say try to work together to a solution.
    As someone that left an extremely abusive relationship that was emotional and verbal abuse, not physical, I can honestly say that this is terrible advice. Getting physically hit would have been no less abusive than the way that my ex husband broke me down to the point that I couldn't even speak without his permission. It has taken me over 10 years to get most of my self confidence back and now I am with someone that truly appreciates me and encourages me to speak out.

Abuse is a fundamental betrayal of trust. There is no reason to stay in a relationship like that, especially with a young child.

Amen... so glad you found yourself someone truly worth staying with..
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing I'd suggest...make sure when you talk to each other, *YOU GUYS* are the ones talking.

What I mean, is as time passes, you will both have people/friends whispering in your ears what you should say, ask/sue for, do, demand, etc. As helpful as this might seem, it's easy for people to offer advice when they aren't in the middle of it all, when they don't have to deal with the repercussions, pay for the lawyers, or see how their suggestions are affecting you, your son or your partner/ex.

No one benefits when you both try to stick it to each other, so that *other* people on the sidelines can live vicariously through your fight. I've found those people are usually driven by anger and past experiences, as opposed to thinking about what's best for you. There is a lot of give and take when you are in a relationship, and a lot more when you are out of one with a child.

If you do end up splitting, I've always tried to follow something I read in a shared parenting brochure; "every child has the right to believe BOTH of their parents are super heroes". I really believe this is important.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Leave and fast. That is no environment to raise your son in. I watched my best friend walk away from her childs father because he was cheating and although it wasnt easy she is much happier and better off now.

Some men can change, but in this case, if nothing has changed over time and he is throwing you out with your child...then nothing is going to make him change. I promise. Get out while you have the chance! Good luck girl, be strong!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Nevermind about what I wrote previously. I must've missed the part where you said, "He's done this about 100 times." I'd rather have people work things out, but he seems immature if he doesn't trust you're @ your mom's. The video game thing was trivial, but the thing where he doesn't believe you're with your mom then cusses you out, that's pretty horrendous. The fact he doesn't trust you means he's untrustworthy himself. He's not ready for marriage.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having problems. It will get old feeling like you are his mother. When you can only depend on yourself for your baby, the house, etc. it will feel like you are raising 2 kids. Not exactly husband material. You will grow to resent him and when he is doing something right it won't matter anymore. You always know there is going to be another time when he does it again. Hugs to you!
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Some quick advice if you have the time?

I am engaged and we have a 2 month old son together. I am 19 and he is 22.

We have been having the same problems for a long time now. I would have left him a long time ago, but I became pregnant and thought he could change. My fiance likes to put his friends before me, and now it has turned into me any his son.

Yesterday, on Christmas, he bascially kicked us out so that he could have a friend over and play xbox. We fought and fought and I ended up going to my mothers. Then he gets drunk tonight and calls me getting mad at me cause I am sleeping and he doesn't believe me. He flips out and then gets over it. Then he gets mad cause when he called me he didn't make any sense because he was so drunk, I told him I was going to bed. Then he texts me (perfectly fine) things like "f**k you", "I'm done". Then he calls me and just talks more crap to me.

This is maybe the 100th time this has happened and I am think I am ready to leave. Actually, I am 90% sure I want to leave tomorrow. Everytime he does this, he apologizes and says he will change and I try again because we have a son together. But it always ends up bad at least a month later.

Opinions please? Thank you.

The exact definition of insanity is; doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results!
    Sounds like he has a lot of growing up to do and unfortunately you cannot force anyone to. I think the best advice would be to think of you son's best interest, sure you were willing to let him treat you not so great before but now you have a son, who do you love more him? Or your son? Do you want your son to grow up think this type of behavior is ok, because not only will he grow up to treat girls the way he saw his dad treat his mother but it is also possible he will treat you with no respect as will.