WOMEN ONLY! IUD Question

Options

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i have mirena IUD and have had no kids, my sister has normal copper IUD with no kids. neither of us have had any problems, i have light to no periods which is due to the hormones in Mirena, she has normal to heavy periods.

When I had the first one fitted in 2006, was not particulary painful, just like smear test with period cramps, but i did feel very sick and had cramps on and off for a few weeks afterwards. It was replaced 2 weeks ago, took painkillers beforehand, felt a bit sick rest of day but nothing too bad. Its definetly worth it for 5 years of not having periods / worrying about contraception!
    if you are worried about it, take some painkillers before hand, have someone drive you to Dr just in case, and plan on spending rest of day laid in front of TV!!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i had the mirena. It wasn't NOT good for me.. but thats just me!
    Caused weight gain, hair loss, anxiety, and a list other lady problems... I got that bad boy out and it took me 2yrs to get my body back to normal!! It wasn't fun for me. But its small percentages that it doesn't work with their body.
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I'd go with the Mirena simply because of the hormones. Paragard has zero hormones and that's what I'm wanting. I can't go completely off of BC because I'm not ready for children with my husband yet. So, it's either stay on the low dose BC pill I'm on currently (& paying $45/mo.)...or get the Paragard IUD which will last me at least 10 years, but can be taken out when I want to start having children.

I already have anxiety, but that's just my personality. LOL.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    if you want something completely non-hormonal have you ever thought about natural family planning? We've been doing that since I had to go off birth control for medical reasons and two of my friends who had their IUDs removed are using it as well too. Its primariliy what people use to achieve pregnancy, but can also be used to avoid it just as easily

http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps40.html

i realize this is a controversial subject and many women dont want to go this route, but just thought I'd through it out there since you keep stressing a no hormone birth control method and assume condoms are out of the question
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I'd go with the Mirena simply because of the hormones. Paragard has zero hormones and that's what I'm wanting. I can't go completely off of BC because I'm not ready for children with my husband yet. So, it's either stay on the low dose BC pill I'm on currently (& paying $45/mo.)...or get the Paragard IUD which will last me at least 10 years, but can be taken out when I want to start having children.

You should take a look at the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.
  • jojoof4
    jojoof4 Posts: 120
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for over 3 years and I rarely get my period. It hurt the day it was placed, but really not much more than monthly cramps. It works for me, but everyone is different. Good luck with whatever you go with!
  • soccerella
    Options

You should take a look at the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

yep, or there are a variety of other ones similar or other free resources on the web that explain natural birth control
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely no natural family planning. I'll stay on the hormones, if needed...but just looking at other options. I like to have a birth control of some type in place. Whether it's BC pill or IUD. If I do decide on the IUD, then I'll know. I suppose I won't know how good it is or is not until I try it! :)
  • loorana
    loorana Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the persons body. I had Mirena before and it was uncomfortable when it was inserted and for the rest of the time I had it. I ended up keeping it for 3 months and then I couldn't deal with it anymore. I couldnt work out because I felt pain and I couldn't be intimate either because he would feel it and I would feel pain. To me it was the worse but I have a co worker that had a totally different experience and she loves it. so...with that said you would have to try out to see if it's for you. Good Luck!!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options

just be sure and ask the doc how long you can expect before you can get knocked up =)
    some of them it can take a few yrs or longer
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena (progesterone only) version of the IUD.

If you have not had any children insertion can be painful, it's much much less painful if you have had a child.

The Copper (Paraguard) version is known for heavier and longer periods. The Mirena is known for shorter/lighter periods, and some women don't have a period at all with it. The hormones are very localized with the Mirena unlike the pill which is systemic hormones.

The great thing about both IUDs is that you can get pregnant right away after removal, the return to fertility is immediate.

I am reaching the 5 year mark with my Mirena and even though my husband is getting a vasectomy I'm getting another one because I enjoy the shorter and lighter periods.
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I have the Mirena and I absolutely LOVE it!

It didn't hurt at all to have it inserted, but according to my Dr., the fact that I've had two kids, naturally, helped in that regard.

There was mild cramping for a few hours afterwards but nothing a few Motrin didn't take care of.

I don't know about the non-hormone one but I don't have a period anymore with my Mirena and that is the best thing ever.
    I am exactly the same.:smile: (except I only have one child)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I have the Paraguard and I absolutely love it! It didn't hurt getting inserted, but I did have some serious cramping on the car ride home (felt like I was going into labor). I wish I'd had someone drive me! Other than that, it's been a year, and I've had no problems! Good luck!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I personally love paraguard because it is hormone free. And IUDs are said to be most effective in preventing unwanted pregnancies. And you don't have to think about it for five+ years. It is awesome...
    But what would be even more awesome is if they came up with something non permanent for men!
  • jodielin
    Options
    I have had the Merina IUD for 4 years now and would highly reccomend it. The insertion was no worse than a normal pelvic exam (YUCK!... but quick). I had some spotting the week it was put in. My periods became gradually lighter over the course of the next year to virtually non-existent today. Ask your doctor, but I believe the small amount of progestrone that you get with the Merina IUD has been shown to have health benefits with regard to lowering the chances of getting uteran cancer. I have had 4 children, so I don't know if this changes the degree of pain or not associated with the insertion. Before the Merina IUD, I had a coper IUD for 7 years. I still had heavy cycles with the copper IUD, but I would say that both IUD's did the trick and neither of them were uncomfortable.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely no natural family planning. I'll stay on the hormones, if needed...but just looking at other options. I like to have a birth control of some type in place. Whether it's BC pill or IUD. If I do decide on the IUD, then I'll know. I suppose I won't know how good it is or is not until I try it! :)

Why no to NFP?
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of going off of my BC pills (I've been on them for about 10 years), and I've been looking into getting Paragard. I feel like BC pills are not helpful in my wanting to lose weight, however I don't want to be pregnant either...so, I feel like a hormone-free IUD would be a good solution. Any thoughts? Does anyone have Paragard?

I've read on WebMD that it hurts to get put in...and that scares me a lot. I want to hear what people NOT on WebMD say though. I feel like I should've stayed away from that site....

This may not be a very pleasant thing for some to hear but.........The IUD does not prevent conception. It prevents a fertilized egg from implanting. Many people do not know this.

Actually an IUD works in several ways. The FIRST way it works is by not allowing sperm to reach the egg due to the change in the mucus. The second way it works is to stop implantation if fertilization does occur. The mirena has an additional method because it stops ovulation in SOME women. So it is important to know if this is something that you are comfortable with.
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I got it right after i had my twins- I loved it at first. never had a problem with it, but then almost 3 yrs later it was imbedded in my uterine wall, they had to go in and remove it.. The pain i felt having it removed was far worse than giving birth to twins naturally. I bled for weeks, by the second week my husband thought i was going to die.. I looked like hell, white pale not eating just bleeding and hurting. the doctors finally got the bleeding to stop, and the infection gone.
    I can say now that im glad its been removed. love making with my husband doesn't hurt anymore like it had when i had the IUD, Now i use the Nuva Ring and i can say I love it, been on it a year and never a problem.. No pain, no office visits, light cycles the way it should be..
    Wish you the best in what you chose to do..
  • soccerella
    Options
    just be sure and ask the doc how long you can expect before you can get knocked up =)
    some of them it can take a few yrs or longer

definitely! and do some research online from women who have actually achieved pregnancy afterwards. MY one friend who hard Mirena thought it would only take a few months for things to get out of her body and get pregnant, but shes still trying and just started charting to try to figure things out

a serious question though....how does ParaGard work? their website doesnt seem to be very informative and just keeps telling me its hormone free, can be removed whenever, you'll get your natural period and something about a monthly self check
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I have had the Paragard IUD for 6 years now, It did hurt when the y put it in and the more you move apparently the more pain it causes. I was able to drive my self home and walk and stuff. Went camping that weekend too, I do know that my periods were a bit more painful for the first 6 months after putting it in. After that 6 months the returned to normal, I am enjoying having it in and not worrying about pregnancy for now, and for me there is no pain when having relations with my hubby either :).

Good luck!