WOMEN ONLY! IUD Question

Options

Replies

• Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    First off I want to caution Mirena has hormones. So if you are trying to avoid that it's not an option.

Paragard has no hormones. I used it for about 5 years but in the beginning I had problems. You need an experienced doctor to insert it. This is highly important. My first one "fell out". My second was hanging out my cervix. The third was the charm, inserted by an experienced doc.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have Implanon and love it!
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I got the Canadian equivalent to the Paragard (the Nova-T I believe it's called) inserted two years ago and I have not had any issues with it. I was given two vaginal suppository pills that help to soften and dialate the cervix prior to the procedure - one the night before, one the morning of. As the doctor is inserting the IUD, it is uncomfortable in the sense that it's like having one somewhat bad menstrual cramp, or for those like myself who have given birth, it is very much like a labor pain (which to me felt a lot like an annoying menstrual cramp).

After having it inserted, I got a ride home, took a couple Advil, put a warm pack on my lower abdomen and that helped a lot. For the first three months, my periods were heavier and lasted a few days longer, but after that they are exactly the same as they were before. If given the choice between the IUD and the pill - IUD all the way. I no longer have to worry about missed pills or when I had a long term partner, the use of condoms.

One note though - my doctor, who is also a woman and also uses the same IUD - advised me not to cut the strings, as some doctors will. The strings are long and they will wind themselves in between the crannies of the cervix and vaginal wall so they're out of the way. The strings feel a lot like fishing line and when they get cut, the ends of them can be very sharp, which could jab your partner during intercourse. (I also know a woman in which her and her husband learned that one the hard way - she said it was very painful for him). I didn't have any issues between myself and my partner.

Good luck with finding the method that works for you! I myself am happy with the copper IUD and any of my friends who have asked, I have recommended it. :)
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I made my appt. for the IUD in January! I guess I will find out for myself how it works for me! I'm excited, yet nervous! Thanks for all the comments!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I did think about an IUD BUT, the thought that it only stops implantation not conception freaked me out.

As stated in a couple earlier posts, the IUD does work to stop conception by thickening cervical mucous and damaging the motility of sperm. It also starts and inflammatory response and attracts white blood cells, and the white blood cells attack sperm. It is pretty much an urban myth that it only stops implantation. Stopping implantation is a 4th line of defence. It may happen if anything gets past the first 3, but it is not the primary way the IUD works.

http://www.medicinenet.com/iud/page2.htm

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/birth_control_intrauterine_devices_iuds/article_em.htm
  • Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    Just something to think about- I came off BCP in September after developing a blood clot in my leg. I am now doing natural family planning. The method I am using is Billings Ovulation method. It is working wonderfully for us!!! It is not for everyone though, as it uses abstinance for certain days of the month, but all in all, it is a great way to avoid or acheive pregnancy (depending on how you use it). The best part is that it is natural, and it is absolutley FREE! If you are interested, just google it and it has lots of info on the principle of how it works. You have to be trained and followed by a cretified instructor for the first while (my instructor and I talked weekly for the first 2 months over the phone, and now it is every 2 weeks.) ANyway, just throwing that out as an option for you, as I felt almost hopeless when I talked to my doctor about non-hormonal options. The only options were the copper IUD and condoms. Because DH and I want to TTC in the next year or so, I didn't find it worthwile to have the IUD inserted, nor was I very excited about more spotting/heavier & more painful periods. Anyways, something to think about.
  • Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    Whoops I am sorry-I didn;t read the previous posts and I see somebody mentioned NFP. Please disregard.
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    I personally love paraguard because it is hormone free. And IUDs are said to be most effective in preventing unwanted pregnancies. And you don't have to think about it for five+ years. It is awesome...
    But what would be even more awesome is if they came up with something non permanent for men!

agreed!!
  • chichi74
    chichi74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Paragard is the way to go if you want safe, reliable and non-hormonal birth control. I stopped my bcp a few months ago because it made me hungry, moody and my periods were all over the place. Although I've never had kids, my obgyn told me that Paragard would work for me. The procedure was painful, but quick. The drive home was very uncomfortable...If I were you, I would ask someone to drive you home that day. My cramps were so severe, I though I was going to pass out...I took an 800 mg motrin once I got home and after a couple of hours, I felt 100% better. Now, I am so happy I did it. Just the fact that I don't have to remember to take the bc pill every day is a huge plus. My periods last a little longer and they are much heavier, but to me, it's a small price to pay to be off any type of hormones. Good luck!
  • jaime_lynn_
    jaime_lynn_ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ive had paragaurd for going on 3 years. i have had no issues at all. It wasnt comfortable to get put it, but it wasnt very painful, and it only lasts a second... and i dont have to worry about getting pregnant for 10 years??? hell yeah, sign me up..i mean seriously a tattoo hurts worse, it is SOOO worth it
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I had an iud put in, no pain, except for the initial discomfort for a few secs
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I had an iud put in, no pain, except for the initial discomfort for a few secs
  • looking4au
    looking4au Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on your particular pain tolerance. I found it uncomfortable while being put in and some cramping that afternoon, but nothing that would make me stay in bed and take pain meds for.
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I will say I am anti-IUD 100% I had this put in after my son.... I had no problem right after it was done... it was uncomfortable yes but not painful.. however I got pregnant on the IUD and have a miscarriage from it wasn't the result I was looking for. I wan't birth control not an self abortion pill.. That may sound really blunt and harsh but it is how I felt... and I know it doesn't happen to many women but it did to me and I regret ever getting it. Good Luck with your decision though. Everyone is different. If I were you I would try NUVA RING
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on getting sterilization surgery when I can afford it, but I understand that it isn't for every one. I don't want kids ever, so that's my choice. They have new, less-invasive procedures now, but I think it's pretty painful, too.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-information-permanent-sterilization-procedures-for-women
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I got Mirena after the birth of my twins 3 years ago. I will not be getting a new one when it expires in 2 years. It took over a year for my bleeding to stop. I litterally bled at all times for over a year. I got rashes from it being continually damp in that area because the bleeding wasn't enough for a tampon so I continually had to wear pads. After the year mark my ob put me on a birth control pill in hopes that it would regulate my period. It took 3 horribly hormonal months but it got it figured out. Now I have a week and a half period and approx 2 and a half weeks of non bleeding. I hate it and can't wait for it to be over. The only thing good was that I don't have to worry about getting pregnant again until I am ready. And the only reason I haven't had it taken out is because it cost me 400 bucks to have it put in with insurance and to have it removed costs 300 bucks. I am getting my 700 bucks out of this stupid form of birth control if it takes all five years. As for my husband he felt it poking him for 2 years. Made him not want to continue and "gun shy" in a way which also sucks. Hope this helps you.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i had an iud n it hurt to put in :/ im a wuss tho lol but it caused nothing but problems but mine was a dif kind i had a merena and it caused me to gain weiht and terribly hard to take off :/ i got it taken out tho n i personally feel way better and will never do it again >.<
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I was born holding my mothers IUD. True story.

Not that it's relevant. But, just a thought. I have heard from friends that it hurts like hell the first day, then after is okay.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I got pregant on an IUD, without hormones...luckily, I love the boy to death :heart:

Anyway, it cramps for about 2 to 10 seconds...it's not really that bad...much easier than labor, for sure
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have paragard and i love it. The first few months after you get it you bleed more than usual during your periods and sometimes you have cramps, but not so bad, you will survive. In my situation after tree months everything went back to normal, i have a year using it and its the best, i highly recommend it :)