WOMEN ONLY! IUD Question

Options

Replies

• Izzywishes
    Options
    I had the Mirena fitted, it hurt a bit and I had mild cramps afterwards for a few hours. Took a while for the bleeding to settle down, still have regular periods each month but a lot lighter than my normal ones.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options

a serious question though....how does ParaGard work? their website doesnt seem to be very informative and just keeps telling me its hormone free, can be removed whenever, you'll get your natural period and something about a monthly self check

The copper makes the uterus an inhospitable environment, by changing the cervical mucus (makes it thicker) so that sperm can not reach the egg, and by changing the lining of the uterus so that a fertilized egg can not implant, and there for you have a period normally because you are ovulating normally.

Both versions are very effective.
  • cocobeanus
    Options
    I have had no kids, got the copper IUD about 6 years ago. The procedure was slightly more uncomfortable that a normal pap but I agree the cramping immediately afterwards was a bit rough. You will want someone to drive you home.
    I do believe I bleed a bit more heavily and have more cramping than I did without it but for me it was worth skipping the hormones and not having to worry about pregnancy. I have fairly mild periods naturally. If you have heavy, painful periods usually the copper IUD is not recommended. Also the copper is the one they are more wary to give to ladies who have not given vaginal birth not the Mirena.
    I have had many friends with or without children say great things about the Mirena. I felt a little odd about having no period, also the copper is good for 10 years and Mirena is 5 yrs I believe. My husband is going to have a vasectomy if we are still sure about not having children when my IUD is close to expired.
    Good luck! birth control choices are hard and most of the options put all the responsibility/burden on us as women. I have been happy with my IUD and though I don't think you should be afraid you should discuss your concerns with your doctor or provider.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I have been considering the copper IUD as well because after a blood clot from the NuvaRing I can not do anything hormonal. I'm not worried about the pain so much as I don't like the fact of spotty periods. My friend has Mirina and when she has a period it's totally unexpected & heavy. I don't want that! I wanna know, so I can be prepared, not always wondering "what if..."

We used to put copper in our mares water buckets to help with moodiness when they came in season. Same principal? lol
  • cocobeanus
    Options
    This is great if you are super responsible and not bothered by the possibility of getting pregnant. My husband and I tried it for awhile and eventually got pregnant. Most women are really horny when fertile and all it takes is that extra glass of wine with dinner and oops..NFP is not for me.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've asked for an IUD from several doctors, and have been told that since I haven't had children, I shouldn't get one. I know this isn't a universal opinion, particularly outside the U.S., but finding a doctor to give you one in the U.S. can be difficult. Also, if you're not completely monogamous, it is my understanding they increase the risk of contracting some STIs. Have you considered trying a different oral contraceptive?
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well here is my story:flowerforyou: I LOVE my Paraguard IUD and wish I would have gotten it sooner. I got the Mirena IUD after the birth of my son and yes it was uncomfortable I got light headed, nurse had to bring me juice, and bascially put me into a calming meditated state(she turned the lights out and kinda talked me through to relax me and held my hand during insertion). I have had 2 children via C-section so my cervix was basically very unconfortable during insertion-doc told me it may have been a little easier had I had vaginal births:grumble: After 2 weeks with the Mirena and all the spotting I had (my body did not agree with the hormones that were in that thing) I went back to the doc and had it removed and switched out for the Paraguard-this time insertion was so much better and doc said because of the spotting my cervix was slightly dialated which made for a more comfortable experience. Both times I took an 800 mg Ibuprophen about an before going in to just kinda numb the pain a bit and it also helped with the slight cramping you may experience after insertion. I had one little issue after the Paraguard and that was that the string was a little too long because my husband could feel it. I went back to doc and she cut it and after that I have been very happy with my choice. Yes you may have crampier cycles and maybe a little heavier bleeding, but after losing 50 lbs and with exercise it has lessoned the physical PMS symptoms. 7 years later and I still love my Paraguard!!!!
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena IUD put in almost a year ago. It really hurt and took the doc a long time to get it in. She said this had to do with the fact that I've not had children so my cervix was not being very "elastic" to allow for insertion . . . After it was in I had horrific cramps and nearly passed out but fortunately they subsided within an hour.

I still have frequent cramping just on the right side . . . I'm not sure what that's about but I'm hoping that will subside once it's been in a little longer. My periods have almost completely stopped (thank god!) and not having to remember to take a pill every day is really nice. Even though the cramps are a pain in the *kitten* (err the uterus?) I'm really glad I did it.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I got a Mirena IUD put in a few weeks ago & I love it so far. I've never had kids, so I was really worried about pain during insertion- the planned parenthood dr kept having to tell me to breathe lol. I did end up passing out, but I swear that was low blood pressure & not because I am a huge sissy-- it really didn't hurt. I was very aware of my cervix for a few days, & I think I'll have them trim the strings, but I haven't had any real cramping or spotting that they say is the norm for the first six weeks. I did have a period at my usual time, but it was very, very light with the regular amount of cramping.

I chose this over the copper, because even though this one does have hormones something like 95% of women have no periods with it. /fingers crossed I'm not one of the 5%, lol.

Also, I have several friends with it who had bad reactions to BC pills (like I did) & it didn't adversly affect them. My cousin had a paraguard implanted after her first kid, then removed so she could have her second- it took her about six months & she did have a miscarriage (that they do not think was related to the IUD). She had Mirena installed after her second & third kids, got knocked up again within three months both times. She has it again now, hopefully for a while lol.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

a serious question though....how does ParaGard work? their website doesnt seem to be very informative and just keeps telling me its hormone free, can be removed whenever, you'll get your natural period and something about a monthly self check

The copper makes the uterus an inhospitable environment, by changing the cervical mucus (makes it thicker) so that sperm can not reach the egg, and by changing the lining of the uterus so that a fertilized egg can not implant, and there for you have a period normally because you are ovulating normally.

Both versions are very effective.

The copper itself is also toxic to sperm. So after thickening the mucous to make it difficult for them to move, it also damages their motility so that they can't make it to the egg.

I got my Paraguard 8 weeks post partum. I have had it for over 18 months now. Insertion was uncomfortable, but not painful. I was able to carry my baby in her car seat and drove myself home. I don't remember any pain, just some mild cramping, and I was home alone with a newborn. My periods are heavier and longer, but I have no cramping. I am ultra sensitive to hormones, so I did not want Mirena. After I came off BCP, I didn't have a period for more than 6 months and it took a year and a half before I ovulated again, even though they aren't supposed to affect you once you stop. I didn't want to take any more risks with my future fertility, so I decided on something with no hormones at all. I have no regrets at all, I would definitely do it again.
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my reasoning for not wanting NFP, CocoaBeanus. I would be bothered by getting pregnant, and I don't want to work so hard at BC. I'm for easy fixes.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I had the Paragard inserted after I had my son (7 months ago), honestly it did not hurt (I took a pain killer before going to my OBGYN's) also my cervix was still dilated from the birth, they do say it hurts a lot when you haven't had kids.
    I chose Paragard because It doesn't have any hormones, some people get heavier periods but I haven't noticed any changes in my flow. I love it
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my reasoning for not wanting NFP, CocoaBeanus. I would be bothered by getting pregnant, and I don't want to work so hard at BC. I'm for easy fixes.

thats fine, but honestly its not hard at all once you learn how to do it.....its the easiest birth control I personally have ever used and I personally feel more confident that i'm not going to get pregnant than i did when i was using a pill ......but to each their own! Anyhow your question was not related to NFP, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of it as another choice......but liek i said since its not what your question is regarded i'll refrain from posting anymore on it
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have pretty much made up your mind that you will

1) get the Paragard and try it and if you find it doesnt work for you then
    2) find a different low dose oral BC

I know you said one of the reasons for wanting to do Paragard is the no hormones that will affect your weight. Just wanted to point out this forum from a few years ago where several woman complain of weight gain caused by paragard or other copper IUDs

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/birth-control/TPJ6JN7FDCJOTQN53

I havent really read through it but there are two posts that stuck out :

"I found this article on wikipedia about paragard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragard

It mentions that ParaGard prompts the release of leukocytes and prostaglandins by the endometrium.
    And then i found this article on prostaglandins:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostaglandins

Which mentions among many other effects that prostaglandins control hormone regulation.
    So, how come then doctors say that copper IUD does not mess up hormones? It does change hormone balance and therefore the different side effects we experience: weight gain/loss, heavy/light periods, low/high sex drive, facial hair, yeasts, everyone has their own story. In my case it was low libido, weight gain, yeast, puffy face. "

and another that had some good advice

"I noticed some of my symptoms decreased after I started regularly taking a super multivitamin with iron, zinc and a B complex (which, as posted before are used to combat copper toxicity). Before finding this thread I had read the literature about copper toxicity. I'm a med student and from a biological standpoint, this explanation makes sense.

Here's my take, if you have slight symptoms take the vitamins, they may help and allow you to keep the IUD."

so basically, really the only way to find out if it works for you is, like you said, to try it! Everyone is going to be different and have different side effects, but hopefully you'll find something good that works for you! Good luck!
  • divergrrl
    divergrrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had the paragaurd for 10 years and my cramps and periods were intense and painful. I was used to this anyways. I got the Murina 4 years ago and have very light to no period, very little cramping!! The hormone is localized so its not coursing through your body!! I love love love it!!! Get Murina!!
  • bgrune131
    Options
    Thank you, Soccerella. And believe me, I'm really not trying to knock your NFP, but I just don't think that would be something for me. I had a friend who was doing that and recommended I try it as well, and not a week later, she was pregnant. However, she didn't care if she got pregnant or not (her husband sure did though, that was rocky). But, yeah. It's to each their own, and I think that I have pretty much made up my mind on getting the Paragard. I mean, I keep reading things, and I feel like the positives outweigh the negatives. But who knows. I think I'm on the lowest hormone BC pill there is, and I am still not a fan. Maybe I'll give it one more month or so until I'm 100% sure I want Paragard...because it is a big decision.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Soccerella. And believe me, I'm really not trying to knock your NFP, but I just don't think that would be something for me. I had a friend who was doing that and recommended I try it as well, and not a week later, she was pregnant. However, she didn't care if she got pregnant or not (her husband sure did though, that was rocky). But, yeah. It's to each their own, and I think that I have pretty much made up my mind on getting the Paragard. I mean, I keep reading things, and I feel like the positives outweigh the negatives. But who knows. I think I'm on the lowest hormone BC pill there is, and I am still not a fan. Maybe I'll give it one more month or so until I'm 100% sure I want Paragard...because it is a big decision.

As Soccerella mentioned, it's not that difficult if you are willing to put in the brief time. But you should also use the three methods of showing fertility, and not just one or two (don't know what your friend was doing - and just to clarify for any reading, NFP is not the rhythm method or day counting or other silly myths like that). Many people only use one or two fertility signs and it can lead to pregnancy, or simply do not really research it and start using it without really knowing what they're doing. But If you are using three indicators, and have regular cycles, it is just as reliable as many popular forms of BC. It was just another suggestion for reliable non-hormonal birth control.

If you want to try the Paragard, I personally think it's a better choice than hormonal birth control. I do not use hormonal birth control for many reasons and if I was comfortable with the idea *might* try the Paragard, I just don't like the idea of having something implanted within me that I cannot remove myself.
  • bgrune131
    Options
    I know, Veganbaum. I am that person who doesn't want to put in that brief time though. I want something that is simple and I don't have to think twice about it. I'm glad that it works for others though!
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Like a couple of girls have said I also have implanon. I'm on my second one now. It was a really short simple procedure to insert it. THe most painful part was the local! I was really scared of having something in my arm...freaked my out but with all the hassles I had with depo I thought Id give it a try..

I did think about an IUD BUT, the thought that it only stops implantation not conception freaked me out. I also did not like the idea of something "hanging out" down there
  • adc45
    adc45 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've had mine almost 2 yrs now. I have 3 kids and felt no pain whatsoever getting it put in. I guess it's different for everyone! I have very light periods, if any at all, no cramping, it's just fabulous. Good luck with your decision!!