fake tan or real pale?

Options

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Tan = massively increased risk of cancer. WHY would anyone want to fake that?

Oh yeah, cos dark colours make you look slimmer... Pfft!

1. It doesn't work.
    2. Stop cheating and GET slimmer.

Yes I'm angry about the whole damn thing, that's because I work with a really lovely guy and have had to watch him suffer the most agonising torments due to skin cancer of the face.

The sooner this ridiculous liking for darker-than-natural skin goes out of fashion the better.

Bloody stupid idea.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    The sooner this ridiculous liking for darker-than-natural skin goes out of fashion the better.
    It's interesting from a sociological standpoint, I guess, because pale used to be the "in" look. It was a sign that you were high-class and didn't have to work outside for a living. Hence, in the US, the term "redneck" - a usually southern farmer who worked outside and often got sunburned on his neck while in the fields.

Now, tan is the "in" look because it signifies that you have time for leisure and CAN be outside instead of stuck in an office all day (or can afford the price of tanning beds or sprays, faking the time commitment that would normally be required to develop a tan by being outside). I'm not sure how that translates to "looking healthy" though.

Maybe in another 50 years pale will be "in" again because it will signify that we are affluent enough to stay inside and interact with the world virtually, like in some of those sci-fi movies.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    The fact is that a serious sunburn is worse for you than gradually tanning.
    The fact is that neither are safe. Some people smoke 60 *kitten* a day. Some people ride without a helmet. That's great. Good for them. No problem with that at all.

Encouraging others to do the same, in order to justify their own personal choices? That's not so great...
  • TourThePast
    Options
    It's interesting from a sociological standpoint, I guess, because pale used to be the "in" look. It was a sign that you were high-class and didn't have to work outside for a living.
    Exactly!

Somehow societal values have turned upside down, and not for the better.

In my world, making it look as if you have the resources (and the lack of imagination) to lie about on your *kitten* doing nothing but getting brown and crispy from head to toe under the sun all day every day doesn't constitute any sort of status symbol whatsoever...
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think tanning is amazing. But if you are that type of skin that turns orange and not brown it is probably not the best way to go. Spray tanning might be nice but then again you turn orange with that too... I don't have that problem.. of turning orange and I tan a lot in the summer time! Both fake and from the sun
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Don't damage your skin for a bit of color. Honestly I see people my age who tanned in beds when we were younger and they look older than they actually are. You will have your skin your entire life treat it very well.
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm very light and freckly and have tanned in beds and in the sun on and off for years. I was born and raised at the ocean and I honestly love the sun and being tan. Now that I'm a bit older I use sunless tanning lotions for a light, natural color. I also get my skin checked to make sure I don't have any issues from when I was younger.

It's a personal choice. I like being having some color, but I also like my good health, so switching to lotions was the right choice for me.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am incredibly pale by choice. I tan easily but it's not something I really want to do to my skin, just a personal preference. I get made fun of a lot lol the typical "casper" and "albino" stabs but I don't really mind. Not a fan of spray tanning either but really, I think being tan or pale just comes down to what you think looks best and whatever makes you feel more confident!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, so I have a quick question...what is your opinion on fake tans? I am Irish and Dutch so my skin is sooooo pale. I really want to get a fake tan sometimes but I am afraid of skin cancer and it might look obviously fake. sometimes I use the tanning lotion but that doesn't really work.... for new years I might be wearing a dress or skirt and if I am going to show my legs they are going to be so WHITE but I could wear leggings....ahh so many decisions but seriously are fake tans worth the risk? or are they just trashy?

Irish and British here and I am practically "see through." I tried tanning but I always end up red, burned and splotchy no matter what I do. I then peel like crazy and have a barely there tan. Ugh.... and my hubby fears skin cancer for me because he read/heard the paler people are the more likely chance they can get it (not sure about that though...???) Spray tan wears off too fast on me. I guess I stay white, even though tanned fat looks better than white fat, haha :laugh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im ghastly and I LOVE IT!!!!! I know some tanning bed lovers who are younger than me and look way older,and then some just look like ummpa lumpas
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I'm pale too, but I embrace my paleness :bigsmile: I do tan a little during the summer... it's enough for me... I use sunblock, but still tan a little... I'm good with it... doesn't bother me at all
  • agthorn
    Options
    Irish and British here and I am practically "see through." I tried tanning but I always end up red, burned and splotchy no matter what I do. I then peel like crazy and have a barely there tan. Ugh.... and my hubby fears skin cancer for me because he read/heard the paler people are the more likely chance they can get it (not sure about that though...???) Spray tan wears off too fast on me. I guess I stay white, even though tanned fat looks better than white fat, haha :laugh:
    Your husband is correct. Both of the people I know who personally have had skin cancer are redheads.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    www.doctoroz.com/blog/susan-evans-md/dangers-tanning-beds

UVA and UVB rays both can cause cancer. There are many articles about the subject. With what we one know about these harmful rays ... Tanning is just too much of a risk ... Period.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I don't bother trying to tan. People can just get over it that I'm pale. Some guys even prefer it.

I think a woman with fair skin is hot. Just my 2cents.
  • agthorn
    Options
    UVA and UVB rays both can cause cancer.
    Yep - tanning beds are predominantly UVA rays, and the industry has tried to claim that it's a "safer" tan but they've been forbidden by the FDA to advertize anything like that because UVA causes cancer too. It also is the type of UV radiation that contributes more to skin wrinkles, so there are going to be a lot of wrinkled women walking around in 30-40 years even if they don't get skin cancer.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I actually love pale complexion and refuse to date men who purposely tan. My last boyfriend was a tad insecure about his paleness, but I tried to reassure him that it was definitely a preference of mine and I wasn't just saying it because I liked him a lot. He got a lot of flack for it growing up so he couldn't believe someone preferred it.

On women, a fake tan can look okay or even good, if done right. My best friend tans even though she has a natural tan, because it evens her skin. I just dont find it appealing on men.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I like the tanned/sun kissed look depending on the season. It tightens the skin, creates contrast for muscle striation visibility, and complements dark features.
  • Vera1987
    Options
    I love my pale skin! It took me a long time to except it, but I feel that its who I am and I just look plain weird tanned. Lol. Don't cover up your natural beauty, learn to love it. <3
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have 4 scars from having skin cancer removed. Spray tans are the only way for me to go now. Honestly I still miss tanning beds........they are so relaxing. But not worth cancer!!!!
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally pale but have been using the beds. I hate that people don't believe that I'm full Italian because of my skin. Not to mention it feels sooooo good in the winter and I feel so much better about myself with a tan.