breastfeeding in public

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
Just saw a news article about how some women staged a breastfeeding protest in Target stores across the country. What are your thoughts about this? Is it okay or should the woman find a private place to breastfeed in?

Replies

• loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's okay.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.
    I'd prefer they take advantage of a private spot.

Just 'cause its natural doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.
    Other natural things I prefer not to experience others doing in public:
    urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    clipping toe nails or finger nails
    clearing a nasal obstruction with a finger
    flossing or using a toothpick
    etc
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I'm all for women breast feeding. Only in America (the issue was a Target in Texas and also in the Midwest where the "bible belt" is) is it usually an issue. Anywhere else around the world it's not uncommon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Breasts are for feeding babies.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised people care.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.

urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    etc

OMG. There is always some idiot comparing this nasty crap to breastfeeding.
    Seriously?
    When was the last time to took a dump to offer nutrition to your child?
    Grow up.
    They're boobs.
    Every mammal on the planet has them.
    You probably have no trouble drinking milk from the boobs of COWS.
    You *SHOULD* have no trouble with a child getting optimal nutrition-no matter if it happens in public or private.
    Perhaps YOU should go to the freaking nasty *kitten* bathroom to eat so that babies can eat in peace away from your annoying chewing.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Making some low fat air-popped popcorn. I'll sit back and watch the anvils fly past.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    etc

lol sodomy? Really?
  • kmaclpn
    kmaclpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am pro Breastfeeding, I work on Maternity and we sell new moms apron like things so they can cover up while in public.. you should be able to sit on a bench in a mall and feed your baby YES but discreetly and have the baby and breast VERY hidden
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I'm all for women breast feeding. Only in America (the issue was a Target in Texas and also in the Midwest where the "bible belt" is) is it usually an issue. Anywhere else around the world it's not uncommon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

ahahaha, we're not prudes here. the employee offered the mom a dressing room and she flipped out and said the employee invaded her privacy.... um... ok. personally, so not to make myself or others feel uncomfortable, i always did it in a bathroom stall if i had a hungry baby and was out and about. (yes, my own babies...)
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If you can see her bare breast then it is probably not appropriate but a woman holding her baby to her chest with everything perfectly covered doesn't bother me at all.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think it is natural, but if a mom chooses to have her boob out in public, she should be prepared to deal with people who will stare. People like to stare at things I guess. I am a woman so if I saw it I would just think, oh, baby is hungry, but some people get really freaked out by it.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I nursed my kid when and where he was hungry. I tried to be considerate but it's wasn't really about anyone else. People were always very supportive. I fly with him a lot and always tell the people sitting with me that I plan to nurse him. It's either that or a screaming kid. They are usually pretty appreciative of my boobs at that point.
    Honestly the reactions I got were extremely positive from both men and women. Oddly enough especially the older grandparent generation. They were like nursing cheerleaders.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with breastfeeding in public. When I did it, I kept as covered as possible because it's my preference. My favorite method is wearing a tank top under my shirt, so I could pull that down while pulling my shirt up, so there was hardly anything showing. To each her own, though.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Making some low fat air-popped popcorn. I'll sit back and watch the anvils fly past.

it is definitely one of those topics!

the reason i posted this is because i'm against it in public. i understand it's natural and it's the best for your baby. i am a nursing student so i've been taught that over and over. i don't think it should be done in public however. it's not because it's sexual at all, it's just because it should be a private thing between you and your baby. i don't care to see you take your breast out in public and have your baby latch onto it. if i'm in your hospital room or your house, i have no problem with it. but i dislike seeing it in public. i also know i will not breastfeed my future children so that might also have something to do with it as well.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I am pro Breastfeeding, I work on Maternity and we sell new moms apron like things so they can cover up while in public.. you should be able to sit on a bench in a mall and feed your baby YES but discreetly and have the baby and breast VERY hidden

You work on the maternity ward with itty bitty teensy weensy babies that don't care if they're covered. Older babies care not for blankets.

I prefer to throw blankets on the heads of people who feel the need to stare....

:)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    etc

lame.

as long as the mother covers herself appropriately, there is zero issue here. kids need to eat. and it isn't in any way appropriate for people to expect them to FEED THEIR CHILD in, say, a public bathroom. if you don't wanna eat in there, why does the kid have to?
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Do what you got to do, but just remember to be discreet and sympathetic to others around you.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's beautiful. It's how nature made us. We Americans are just so ridiculously hung up.