breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    Options

The private thing for me is that it involves a personal part of a woman's anatomy. No, eating shouldn't be done in private, but when a baby is feeding from a woman's breast, it should be (in my opinion).

It's no more a "personal part" of a woman's anatomy than it is a man's except that society (and people with messed up heads-in my opinion) have made it such taboo. But ONLY when they're nursing babies. Have you seen the covers of magazines? There is MUCH more breast showing on most magazine covers than a person could even get a glimpse of if they STARED and tried to see a boob while watching a woman breastfeed.

mag_cover_maxim_print.jpg <<yes, yes

160Maxim_tab.jpg <<yes, yes

164Maxim_tab.jpg << yes, yes

breastfeedingphotos3.jpg << no, no???

breastfeedingphotos5.jpg << no, no???

Really... we live in a back a$$wards world.
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When I was nursing my daughter I was very discreet. I had a blanket that had a snap around the neck so it was easy to keep it in place without disturbing my daughter or just hanging out there. I DID want to feed my child the best way possible but i didn't want some random person staring at my breasts. While I was pregnant there was a woman who would walk through the store I worked at with her breast hanging out nursing her baby (and I worked in a motorcycle shop so lots of guys wandering around) and it was awkward for my coworkers (male and female) to interact with her. I would never want to not nurse my child but I can try to keep the other people around me in mind in the way that I do it.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I really think this is a cultural issue... I've only seen people worried about it in the US. In many other countries women breastfeed at the table, on the bus, on a park bench, no problems. I can't say personally because I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure I would prefer a crowded bus with wandering eyes to a bathroom stall.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am pro Breastfeeding, I work on Maternity and we sell new moms apron like things so they can cover up while in public.. you should be able to sit on a bench in a mall and feed your baby YES but discreetly and have the baby and breast VERY hidden

Exactly right.
    In Mexico, it is very common in small towns for moms to breastfeed in public, but covered with an apron-like piece.
    Babies love the cozy feeling, and no one complains or peeps. Many don't even notice there is a baby being breastfed.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I am American, and I HATE our views on censorship...

Same here. Americans are bass-ackwards about nudity. Weird.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Ok one last post and I swear im leaving this topic alone. Had enough of it on babycenter. I will always try to be considerate of those around me. That's why I shower and brush my teeth daily. I don't have to but I do. However a womans right to bf in public is legally protected. Like it or not.

To those without children I think sometimes you underestimate the power of a mothers instinct. If my kid is hungry and I have the power to feed him there is nothing you can do or say to stop me. And if you try...gods help you!
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would have went to my local Target but I didn't have a car. It's okay to nurse in public. When my daughter was 5 months old she got hungry at Target so I pulled out my nursing shawl and started nursing and I kept getting looks from employees. I had one employee ask me to stop and I told them when she got done eating I would stop. lol

How rude of that person. Wow. I can't even....
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I nursed in public but I always covered up with a baby blanket or shawl and I would normally try to find a nice out of the way place to nurse:tongue: it's all in the presentation:flowerforyou:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yeah ... I'm fairly pro nudity.
    :)
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.
    I'd prefer they take advantage of a private spot.

Just 'cause its natural doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.
    Other natural things I prefer not to experience others doing in public:
    urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    clipping toe nails or finger nails
    clearing a nasal obstruction with a finger
    flossing or using a toothpick
    etc

OMG. There is always some idiot comparing this nasty crap to breastfeeding.
    Seriously?
    When was the last time to took a dump to offer nutrition to your child?
    Grow up.
    They're boobs.
    Every mammal on the planet has them.
    You probably have no trouble drinking milk from the boobs of COWS.
    You *SHOULD* have no trouble with a child getting optimal nutrition-no matter if it happens in public or private.
    Perhaps YOU should go to the freaking nasty *kitten* bathroom to eat so that babies can eat in peace away from your annoying chewing.

THIS!! ^^^^^^
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    fvl9xf.jpg

disgraceful :wink:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't have to breastfeed, but please don't judge women who do.

I don't at all. I think it's a great thing! I just don't want to see it in public.

thing is, that's not up to you. thankfully.

I wouldn't try to ban it either! Imagine all the backlash I'm getting here x a million! It's just my own feelings on the matter!
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm all for women breast feeding. Only in America (the issue was a Target in Texas and also in the Midwest where the "bible belt" is) is it usually an issue. Anywhere else around the world it's not uncommon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

ahahaha, we're not prudes here. the employee offered the mom a dressing room and she flipped out and said the employee invaded her privacy.... um... ok. personally, so not to make myself or others feel uncomfortable, i always did it in a bathroom stall if i had a hungry baby and was out and about. (yes, my own babies...)

I think also we have to think, a breast feeding mom is lacking in sleep & has some sort of postpartum stuff goin on & someone asking is she needed a more private spot she may have been more emotional than a normal person with sleep may have responded. I think you should be able to breast feed in public, i dont think your breast should be hanging out, but with a receiving blanket thrown over your shoulder & its covered, go right ahead! The most important thing is that the baby be fed..
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options

The private thing for me is that it involves a personal part of a woman's anatomy. No, eating shouldn't be done in private, but when a baby is feeding from a woman's breast, it should be (in my opinion).

It's no more a "personal part" of a woman's anatomy than it is a man's except that society (and people with messed up heads-in my opinion) have made it such taboo. But ONLY when they're nursing babies. Have you seen the covers of magazines? There is MUCH more breast showing on most magazine covers than a person could even get a glimpse of if they STARED and tried to see a boob while watching a woman breastfeed.

very good sorry i missed this one
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

I don't at all. I think it's a great thing! I just don't want to see it in public.

I just posted this to see the general consensus about the topic! I had a feeling I'd be in the minority (or the only one lol) but I like to educate myself on different topics and see different sides of the issue.

Novel idea coming up: if you don't want to see it in public, then by all means feel free to NOT FREAKING STARE if you happen to see a woman preparing to nurse her child in her space. :)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public as long as it is done in a discreet manner. It is a natural part of life!
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Well done!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

@frugalmomsrock, I just LOVE that you posted those pictures. Perfect illustration of how ridiculous people's objections to public breastfeeding are. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    As a long time nursing mother I personally see nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public...BUT not everyone is as open to me and I personally don't like making people uncomfortable because I think something is okay. I've nursed many times in a dressing room st a store or in the bathroom because other people do not need to feel uncomfortable with what I'm ok doing.

Only if the dressing rooms and bathrooms were completely filled would I do so in an aisle. And I'm VERY comfortable feeding my children in public...done it at parks, under trees on a walk, etc. But there are private places to do it at stores.

As ok with doing it in public as I am I also don't feel that exercising my right to do so at the expense of someone elses insecurity is right either!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I just posted this to see the general consensus about the topic! I had a feeling I'd be in the minority (or the only one lol) but I like to educate myself on different topics and see different sides of the issue.

Novel idea coming up: if you don't want to see it in public, then by all means feel free to NOT FREAKING STARE if you happen to see a woman preparing to nurse her child in her space. :)

or maybe just don't go out into a public area where a recently pregnant mother might possibly be with a potentially hungry baby.