breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Nursing tank tops have been my best friends for six years and counting (no; I'm not nursing a six year old. I've had three babies in succession. Nursed while pregnant, and tandem nursed too). :-)
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I never found public breastfeeding to be offensive in any way. I'm happy that mom's choose to breastfeed wherever the hell they can. Boob milk is far better than any formula so I would prefer the babies out there to get boob fed wherever and whenever they can. And mom's that breast feed in public ...crying out for attention?!?! ARE YOU FOR REAL? I'm not capable of breast feeding but my wife has for all 3 of our kids and the LAST thing my wife wanted back then is more attention. She would much prefer to just hide under the blankets all day. Maybe I'm due for my next dose of cold meds, but your ignorance is making my head pound.
    I mean seriously... public pooping vs public breast feeding ...isn't even the same game... it's not even the same league!

i'm gonna find a wall to bash my head into ...
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Making some low fat air-popped popcorn. I'll sit back and watch the anvils fly past.

it is definitely one of those topics!

the reason i posted this is because i'm against it in public. i understand it's natural and it's the best for your baby. i am a nursing student so i've been taught that over and over. i don't think it should be done in public however. it's not because it's sexual at all, it's just because it should be a private thing between you and your baby. i don't care to see you take your breast out in public and have your baby latch onto it. if i'm in your hospital room or your house, i have no problem with it. but i dislike seeing it in public. i also know i will not breastfeed my future children so that might also have something to do with it as well.

Bottle feeding, then, and for that matter-ALL eating in public should be kept in private, then, right? *rollseyes*

It is so ludicrous that people actually feel this way. A baby is hungry when a baby is hungry. Would people rather hear a baby screaming bloody murder because it isn't "an appropriate time" to feed when mom is out busy running errands? That, my friends, would be neglect...

The private thing for me is that it involves a personal part of a woman's anatomy. No, eating shouldn't be done in private, but when a baby is feeding from a woman's breast, it should be (in my opinion). But at the same time, if a mother is out in public and her baby cries, she should either prepare the baby a bottle or find a place to breastfeed. Both take time. It's not like bottles are just ready to be used either. It all takes time.
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Making some low fat air-popped popcorn. I'll sit back and watch the anvils fly past.

the reason i posted this is because i'm against it in public. i understand it's natural and it's the best for your baby. i am a nursing student so i've been taught that over and over. i don't think it should be done in public however. it's not because it's sexual at all, it's just because it should be a private thing between you and your baby. i don't care to see you take your breast out in public and have your baby latch onto it. if i'm in your hospital room or your house, i have no problem with it. but i dislike seeing it in public. i also know i will not breastfeed my future children so that might also have something to do with it as well.

Why would you not breastfeed? Should babies not be feed in general in public? Is that what is wrong? I am just confused because you say you know it is best, but then say you are not going to breastfeed. Why would you not do everything you can for your baby? I feel like you dancing circles around why you really don't like it.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

It sounds like you are jealous then. Sometimes nursing is a private bonding thing, sometimes babies just get crazy hungry with little warning - and you can't ask them to wait.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options

So a breastfeeding mother should never go into a public place with her baby or else should bottle feed when she chooses to?
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    I just want to say that every women who is/are getting mad at the issue better be voting . This is the least of rights that are being fought and argued over and being taken away.

my issue with breast feeding if it is covered with a blanket or something that covers the breast, no worries, go for it. But if I see a full out breast and the mother does not care and she gets mad because I am surprise that I can see her breast, don't get mad at me. I don't get flashed often.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

just curious, if you are open to responding ... why no breastfeeding? is this a hard and fast decision? truly just curious, not judgmental.
  • christine24t
    Options

Why would you not breastfeed? Should babies not be feed in general in public? Is that what is wrong? I am just confused because you say you know it is best, but then say you are not going to breastfeed. Why would you not do everything you can for your baby? I feel like you dancing circles around why you really don't like it.

It would just make me uncomfortable breastfeeding my baby, that's all. I couldn't deal with the soreness and cracked nipples and everything I've seen from my clinical experiences. I know it's best but it's just not for me, and that's my choice to make for myself and my future children.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Bottle feeding, then, and for that matter-ALL eating in public should be kept in private, then, right? *rollseyes*

It is so ludicrous that people actually feel this way. A baby is hungry when a baby is hungry. Would people rather hear a baby screaming bloody murder because it isn't "an appropriate time" to feed when mom is out busy running errands? That, my friends, would be neglect...

The private thing for me is that it involves a personal part of a woman's anatomy. No, eating shouldn't be done in private, but when a baby is feeding from a woman's breast, it should be (in my opinion). But at the same time, if a mother is out in public and her baby cries, she should either prepare the baby a bottle or find a place to breastfeed. Both take time. It's not like bottles are just ready to be used either. It all takes time.

um ... maybe you just don't realize, but if a baby is breastfeeding, by definition, it isn't using a bottle.
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    North Americans are so weird about tits.

indeed..and I don't know why ...
    cue janet jackson and the fall out from that! ...i never understood the big deal. Do people REALLY think that a kid seeing a boob will forever destroy their lives? Are those people THAT naive?
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

So do you have an issue with bathing suits, certain types of clothes (short skirts or low cut tops) or things like that? What about for men? What parts of man can be showing, in your opinion (speedos, etc). How consistent are you? Is it the nipple that bothers you?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

But why? Because some adults are turned on by them they shouldn't be used for their purpose? Breasts are solely designed for feeding babies. There are people out there with a foot fetish ...should be ban flip flops too?
    That's called brainwashing.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that every women who is/are getting mad at the issue better be voting . This is the least of rights that are being fought and argued over and being taken away.

my issue with breast feeding if it is covered with a blanket or something that covers the breast, no worries, go for it. But if I see a full out breast and the mother does not care and she gets mad because I am surprise that I can see her breast, don't get mad at me. I don't get flashed often.

Honestly, myself and all of the nursing mamas I knew couldn't really care less if you saw our breast. I mean, trust me, I did my very very best to be extremely discreet for my own comfort but I also wouldn't have cared if someone looked over during that nanosecond when I was putting the baby on or taking him off.
  • christine24t
    Options

um ... maybe you just don't realize, but if a baby is breastfeeding, by definition, it isn't using a bottle.

Oh no I understand. What I meant was that whether a baby is breastfed for bottle-fed, they both take time to prepare (either by making a bottle or getting the baby to latch on, etc.)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    as long as the mother covers herself appropriately, there is zero issue here. kids need to eat. and it isn't in any way appropriate for people to expect them to FEED THEIR CHILD in, say, a public bathroom. if you don't wanna eat in there, why does the kid have to?

This, exactly! Thank you! :drinker:

A busy mother, out shopping for her family, shouldn't have to spend 20-30 minutes in a tiny cramped cubicle (whether it's a bathroom stall or a changing room) when she needs to feed her child.

I remember seeing an interview with one Occupy Wall Street protester, and they were halfway through a rather long interview before I realized that inside the sling she was wearing, her baby was happily nursing away as she talked. Baby was held in the sling and covered by a blanket, Mom was talking and gesturing with both hands, they were both able to be doing their thing. No fuss, neither she nor the reporter even mentioned the baby, it was the most natural thing in the world. Women should be able to take care of their children without being shut away in a harem or hidden from the rest of the world.
  • christine24t
    Options

So do you have an issue with bathing suits, certain types of clothes (short skirts or low cut tops) or things like that? What about for men? What parts of man can be showing, in your opinion (speedos, etc). How consistent are you? Is it the nipple that bothers you?

I am a very modest person, so yes that might have something to do with it! I don't like low-cut shirts or super short shorts, or speedos on men. I even just responded on the bikini thread that I don't like bikinis or tankinis. I don't really even like seeing naked people in the locker room at the gym!! Maybe that is why I feel the way I do! Regardless, it is my feeling on the topic.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I used to have some lady walk in to my office twice a day and close the door to pump. She never asked me if it was okay never bothered to say anything.
    I felt like THAT was wrong. Whether it was to pump or dink around she shouldn't have been randomly coming in my office and closing the door unless it was to speak to me privately.
    In all honesty I would refuse to do it in public myself, I wouldn't want everyone watching me!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't have to breastfeed, but please don't judge women who do.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    what a bunch of prudes....