breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think it's inappropriate, no matter WHAT the circumstances, to take your tits out in public....maybe that's just me. Mothers can breastfeed all they want, but it's really not necessary to do it in front of the entire world.

And this is why so many young mothers go straight for the formula - some skewed perceptions about what breasts are for.

And most of the girls that disagree with it on this thread are around 21 or so... such a shame.
  • annalynne1983
    Options
    Aah I have to stop reading this and do something constructive!

I think the posters who've said if you don't like it, don't look, make an excellent point, and the ones who've said it's one of those grey areas where people have different opinions and different things they're comfy with, get over it. Also I totally agree that I'd rather see someone breast feeding over bottle feeding any day. If I can't breastfeed my children, I'll be pretty gutted. That being said, I'm never going to presume to judge people's choices about bottle vs breast feeding. I know people who would have LOVED to breastfeed their ADOPTED babies! You just never know what's going on in someone's life.

If we all stopped getting judgmental and hung up with what other people do, seeems like there's no more problem - but then I'm a live and let live person!

Oooh and the poster who made popcorn while debate raged, very cool :-) LOL!!!!
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm all for breastfeeding in public, but prefer for it to be done discreetly. Discreetly can be achieved without a cover. In this particular case at Target, I think the issue is that she was sitting on the floor, blocking aisles. She said they harassed her by walking by and shaking their heads, did they say anything to her after that? I would stare at someone sitting on a floor at Target bottle feeding too. I don't care to see anyone's boobs, but I would choose that over her having to feed her baby in the bathroom.

And seriously, to the people that think formula feeding mothers (without a medical reason of course) are selfish and shouldn't have children? Mind your own f*cking business. My son is healthy and happy and does quite well on his formula. I do everything for him but I'm selfish and/or shouldn't have children because I'm not breastfeeding? My kid may be bottle fed, but at least he'll be open minded and tolerant.

Excellent! I think it's rather hypocritical for the booby brigade to judge any other mother for exercising her right to not breastfeed.
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    As a mommy who is unable to breastfeed due to medical issues, I have to say I would rather see a baby being nursed in public then being bottle fed, because I know that baby being nursed is not only eating but getting an incredible bond with his/her mother. Breast is best, period, and if you CAN breastfeed but dont WANT to because its "weird" or "uncomfortable" I think you should probably rethink the choice to have kids...

Being a mother means doing everything in your power to give that child the best you can in life, and that includes breastfeeding.

Very well said! If you chose to not do whats best by your child and breast feed because you are worried about a little cracking on your nipple, then that is just plain selfish. A cracked nipple is nothing compared to the pain of pushing a baby out after laboring for hours.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

And seriously, to the people that think formula feeding mothers (without a medical reason of course) are selfish and shouldn't have children? Mind your own f*cking business. My son is healthy and happy and does quite well on his formula. I do everything for him but I'm selfish and/or shouldn't have children because I'm not breastfeeding? My kid may be bottle fed, but at least he'll be open minded and tolerant.

Thank you! It really offended me to read that people believed I shouldn't have children because I don't want to breastfeed, and I'm worried about my own discomfort. That's my own deal. Formula is not evil. Is breastmilk better? All signs point to yes. But it is my own choice whether I want to breastfeed or not. Just because I don't want to breastfeed doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to have children.
    And just because I am young and childless does not mean I don't deserve to have an opinion on the matter. I'm 21. I'll put that out there. I'm nowhere near having children, although I definitely do want them. I've had my mind made up about not breastfeeding for many years now and it's my own choice. I wasn't breastfed and I'm fine, so my children will clearly be fine too.
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options

As long as the weightloss is done healthfully and while getting proper nutrition, baby doesn't suffer. :)

Oh I know. :) I just wanted to point that out. I have seen a few posts where mothers expect to get rid of weight way to fast while breast feeding.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    That is what they are made for so there is no reason to hide it. Yes use a blanket etc for some modesty but it makes me mad that it would be restricted.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

And most of the girls that disagree with it on this thread are around 21 or so... such a shame.

I'm so proud that I am bringing up three lactivists and two manlactivists. :) My 14 and 12 year olds are already freaking awesome about breastfeeding...my five year old is convinced she's having 10 kids and breastfeeding them all.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I think it odd that kids are being sexualized younger and younger ( I saw an article on 6yr olds pole dancing for goodness sake) and yet in general breast feeding gets such a negative response. It's natural and if I had a baby I wouldn't bring my baby into a nasty public bathroom ( or myself for that matter), I wouldn't stop what I'm doing to run to my car to feed or hide becasue some people are grossed out. I know people who are grossed out by the word moist but, if it is appropriate for the conversation I am gonna damn well use it. If my baby is hungry and I can feed them then I am gonna do it.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Is this just an American thing? Because I haven't noticed this level of anxiety in other parts of the world.

If your baby needs to eat, feed it. If you're concerned with modesty, cover up, move to a private space, or something else. If you're concerned /offended by someone breastfeeding, look somewhere else.

Seriously, in many places where I've lived, it's not uncommon to see people urinate/defecate/have sex in public... but Americans are offended by breastfeeding a baby? Seriously?? Weird.
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Thank you! It really offended me to read that people believed I shouldn't have children because I don't want to breastfeed, and I'm worried about my own discomfort. That's my own deal. Formula is not evil. Is breastmilk better? All signs point to yes. But it is my own choice whether I want to breastfeed or not. Just because I don't want to breastfeed doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to have children.

Um, if you are worried about your comfort, definitely do NOT have kids. lol!
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think it's inappropriate, no matter WHAT the circumstances, to take your tits out in public....maybe that's just me. Mothers can breastfeed all they want, but it's really not necessary to do it in front of the entire world.

And this is why so many young mothers go straight for the formula - some skewed perceptions about what breasts are for.

So sad for them--for everything that they and their baby are missing out on by not nursing and they don't even know it and all because society just can't stop the constant policing of women's bodies.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I was a part of the local nurse-in. I am PROUD to serve a cause to normalize breastfeeding. Breasts were made for feeding children. Not men's playtoys. Breasts are overly sexualized, and this has caused society's aversion to nursing in public. Why else would it offend someone to see a woman feeding her child in public?
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

True that. Pregnancy and labor are definitely NOT the most comfortable things I've done in my life. :)
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options

True that. Pregnancy and labor are definitely NOT the most comfortable things I've done in my life. :)

Thats for sure!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I was a part of the local nurse-in. I am PROUD to serve a cause to normalize breastfeeding. Breasts were made for feeding children. Not men's playtoys. Breasts are overly sexualized, and this has caused society's aversion to nursing in public. Why else would it offend someone to see a woman feeding her child in public?
    woop, woop! Winner winner chicken dinner!
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Not to mention sleep deprivation, the constant worry, never being able to go the bathroom uninterrupted, cleaning up all kinds of bodily fluid, having to make dining choices for the kids. Parenting is not for the selfish!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Is this just an American thing? Because I haven't noticed this level of anxiety in other parts of the world.

If your baby needs to eat, feed it. If you're concerned with modesty, cover up, move to a private space, or something else. If you're concerned /offended by someone breastfeeding, look somewhere else.

Seriously, in many places where I've lived, it's not uncommon to see people urinate/defecate/have sex in public... but Americans are offended by breastfeeding a baby? Seriously?? Weird.

Yes, yes it is. We're a paradoxical mess.
  • mommamindi
    Options

I dont think anyone said you shouldnt be allowed kids, and if its my post you are talking about, I said maybe you should RETHINK having children, not that you shouldnt be allowed. I stand by my opinion...having a child means you do everything in your power to give your baby the best. Every single time I give birth I mourn the fact that I cannot physically breastfeed because as a mother it is my job to give my baby that. Are my children happy, healthy, and highly intelligent even on formula OF COURSE but breastfeeding offers things that formula doesnt....one of those things include immunities...I mean if I could simply save myself from having to be up all night and day with my three week old son because his big sister got him very sick by breastfeeding I would do it, but alas I cant...and here I am cradling my son in one arm and using the other to type, because if I set him down he will scream because his tummy hurts.

Am I comfortable...hell no...my arm is asleep and my shoulder is aching, but being a mommy means being uncomfortable when your child needs you ;-)
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.
    I'd prefer they take advantage of a private spot.

Just 'cause its natural doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.
    Other natural things I prefer not to experience others doing in public:
    urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    clipping toe nails or finger nails
    clearing a nasal obstruction with a finger
    flossing or using a toothpick
    etc

Being a ****head....oh but your allowed to in public. What an idiot.