Why are you fat???

Options

Replies

• mom2BandD
    mom2BandD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was underweight in elementary and high school. Got to university with no parents around and got up to a low to healthy weight. Tried a birth control called depo provera = automatic 20 lb weight gain after 2 doses (6 month period). Went off the BC and lost it all. Gained a bit due to trying to eat like I had a metabolism of a teen/university student. Lost weight pre-wedding. Baby 1, gained 43 lbs and lost all but 5 lbs in about 18 months by eating healthy, BF and exercising regularly. Baby 2, gained 30 lbs, longer recovery, very needy baby, baby born in winter vs summer (I live in a Canadian climat that gets very cold in January/Feb, little guy was born in Jan). Breastfeeding and summer workouts = 20 lbs lost and then it stopped even though I changed nothing. I discovered I had developed post-partum hypothyroidism.....read a metabolism that is slow as molasses and even with meds its VERY difficult to lose. My weight stayed the same despite doing regular exercise that first year, year 2 I trained for and did a try-a-tri (triathlon), and training and doing a 50K bike a thon and then last year doing 6 running races (2 x 10K and 4 x 5K). I regained some weight (about 5 lbs). I then got sick of being flabby and not losing weight and posted about it here and found a Beachbody coach who hooked me up with Shakeology, I did a fitness challenge and won TurboFire and working out with TF, changing my diet to be even more healthy, sleeping enough, MFP accountability, Beachbody coach accountability and accountability to some ladies I am in a message board group with and of course lots of H2O I have lost an additional 23 lbs since Aug 2011.
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    I have no excuse really, laziness and I just loved eat crap all the time. I just lived on fast food and junk food without caring what it was doing to me.
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i am fat because: I had literally never eaten out before i got with my husband who lived right in town and ordered out ALL the time :) so ofcourse, i helped him eat it. In one year i finished xray school, got my first job, got married, 4 mos after i got married, i was pregnant, bought my first new car, bought a house, and then my water broke at 31 wks with my son so he was born at 33 wks 2 mos premature. All in one year. Then the following year, i was under super stress as my son had been in the hospital a few times and stopped breathing on me once (all the while i still have to work full time). I was stressed to the max!! Ontop of all that, i no longer had time to work out. Im sure i snacked too much with all the stresses, but now i have two beautiful children ages 3.5 and 7 mos and I am ready to regain control of my body and get healthier to live longer and be able to have more energy to keep up with my young kids :) My husbands also losing weight which helps motivate me although he doesnt have nearly as much to lose as i do :)
  • Sweetncgal78
    Sweetncgal78 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Im fat because:

I was physically and mentally abused from a very early age by my alcoholic mother and her many boyfriends. My parent's nick name for me was Lard Azz from as early as I can remember. Even before I became over weight, they always called me that. Finally at age 16 (about 175lbs) I married to get away from my mom. Then was with my husband for 15 years and he physically and mentally abused me 100 times worse than my parents ever did. I would have never left him either but when he started hurting our son, I developed a strength Ive never known and was out of there, but no before gaining 125lbs over that 15 years.

Now Im happily remarried and suffer from PTSD. So my entire life I have self medicated with food. Yea it wasnt alcohol or drugs like the rest of my family... Its worse, because at least with alcohol and drugs I wouldn't still have to have it daily to survive while trying to overcome the addiction.
  • fluffsman
    Options
    Stress eating and bad eating habits.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am fat cause I love food. A little too much.

I love cheese, gravy, pasta, breads, butter, sauces, and creamy things. I have a terrible sweet tooth.

I eat when I am depressed, feeling down, or bored.

So as you can see...It is all my fault baby. I am learning how to enjoy food without shoving it down my gaping maw 24/7. I am learning how to cut back on sweets and live with only so much butter and cheese.
  • tmjones0822
    Options
    I currently work at a bank. So my day consists of sitting on my butt for 10 hours. And not only do I work at a bank, I work at a bank inside a grocery store! :happy: So you can only imagine how easy it was to gain weight. I have to change everything, what I eat, how I exercise, ETC! I need help and motivation! Its so hard some days.
  • mama1229
    Options
    I am fat for a lot of reasons. I have a hormonal imbalance with an insulin resistance, so I get hungry faster after eating, I crave carbohydrates and the weight all centers in my center. I also eat too much. I love food. I love pretty much all food. I have not come across any food that I do not like. Works in my favor with veggies, not so much with pastas and cakes. I am also kinda lazy. I do housework, work work, and mommy work, but dont take the time for work out work.
    WOW...You just described me to a "T"!
  • MGardiner001
    Options
    I ate too much and spent too much time on my couch. I even sat at my jobs and in school! I would like to blame it on genetics and all that other good, ahem, bad stuff, but in truth I have no one to blame but myself.
    I'm changing that now though. I got myself here and I WILL get myself out!
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    I wish I had an obvious answer. I've been overweight since I can remember. 140lbs in the third grade (but still the fastest and strongest girl in school-go figure...). I'd like to blame genetics, but my five older brothers had no weight issues. Even as a competitive athlete as a teen I still was never below 180. And as a teen I spent a couple of summers at weight loss camps, so I know the ins and outs of nutrition, "starvation mode", "good fat v. bad fat" etc. etc. Now in my 40's it 's been a life long yo-yo. I've had my slimmer moments, (through determination) but they have been fleeting. My thyroid's been checked, it's fine. All I can say is that calories love me...I HAVE to count calories and exercise... I wish I could be one of those who eats what they want when they want, but that's just not my lot...
  • pinkdawn72
    pinkdawn72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Many reasons. I have horrible eating habits. I love to cook and then eat what I cooked . I didn't move enough. The main reason is I just didn't care enough about myself. I wasn't fat as a child or as a teenager but boy did I think I was. When you wear a size 3 as a teen and your mother tells you that you "might be pretty IF you weren't fat" that messes with your head just a little . She was a horrible example taking laxatives, water pills, and going on crazy crash diets as well as giving laxatives and water pills to me as a child. That caused me to have some major health problems. Not to mention she was abusive in more ways than I can count.
    I started gaining weight in my twenties, went up and down on the scales ALOT. I lost weight after all my kids were born but then would gain back + some. Until my early thirties when I just gave up. I put on most of my weight in the last six years.
    I cut my toxic momster out of my life almost 2 years ago. Then I started working on myself. I am a MUCH happier person. I am starting to try new things, feel better about me, and I want to be the best me I can be. So now that all my emotional baggage is gone I decided to work on the pounds I am lugging around. Hopefully I will be a success story on MFP one day. :)
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Alot of honest, candid posts.

I was always thin as a child, teenager and in my 20's. I grew up in Florida, surfing everyday, biking to/from the beach, ran cross-country. In college I was in AROTC, so we had to do PT 3x a week, plus my metabolism was just naturally fast. I could eat 2 large Domino pepperoni pizzas or 12 Taco Bell Supreme Taco's ("extra sour cream please") by myself and not gain an ounce. In retrospect the bad habits were starting to develop but the repercussions were still years away. I never ate breakfast, ate fast food for dinner, lunch was typical college fraternity house food - ramen noodles, hot dogs, left over pizza, etc whatever was cheap. Had to save my money for beer every night out at the college bars.

After college I was an Army officer for 4 years, so more PT 5 days a week, unless we were in the field or deployed - usually for months at a time, so food consisted of MRE's, water, and maybe one hot meal a day. When we came back from the field or deployments it was beer, pizza, Whopper's, etc, but again I was still physically active so the bad habits hadn't had any effect yet. I was a lean, muscular 195 lbs with less than 10% BF.

After my military obligation was up, I was sick of being required to run and exercise so I didn't. I got a job as a consultant which required me to travel Monday thru Friday, so breakfast was coffee and what ever was free at the hotel, lunch was order in to the office, and then after a 12 hour workday sitting on my butt in meetings or in front of a computer, it was restaurant food and beer/wine. Gotta love expense accounts, steak and wine every night.

My wife and I didn't have kids yet, so weekends were for decompressing and going out to eat with my wife. Heineken's and football on TV during the days on Saturday/Sunday, more nice restaurants and beer/wine at Saturday night and maybe a home cooked meal Sunday night. That's when the lbs started showing up.

My wife and I had or first child when I was 30, so I gave up the traveling consulting job for a stressfull Fortune 500 project management job. I was still skipping breakfast, still eating out at lunch or sometimes skipping that, and coming home to a huge dinner and beer. Weekends were still beer, football, etc at home and taking care of a newborn/toddler.

After hitting 255lbs and around 32% BF, I went on Atkins, plus using some Herbalife products my sister in law was selling at the time, but I never really adopted sustainable healthy eating. I lost 50 lbs in about 3-4 months and felt good again, and slacked off the diet.

Went back to my old ways, skipping breakfast, either skipping lunch or eating restaurant lunches, and a big dinner with beer/wine. Pasta, meat and cheese became my go to food choices.

I got up to 270 this time and 35% BF and size 42 pants. Due to my 6' 1" and height and broad shoulder build, I could carry it well and hide it under business suits and Tommy Bahama shirts, but I was out of shape and my BP, liver enzymes, cholesterol were starting to head upwards. I quit going to the doctor because I didn't want to hear what I already knew.

So last February I went on a balanced diet comprised mostly of lean protein, lot's of fruit/vegetables, healthy fats, and whole grains, cut back on the alcohol significantly, watching my macro's and calories, logging everything I ate, and began exercising on my wifes elliptical. I lost 70 lbs and now wear size 32 pants, 12% BF, and eat healthy everyday. At 39, I'm stronger now (I lift weights now) than I was on the Army, weigh the same as I did when I was 26, same pant size, have ab's again. I still track all my calories and macro's on MFP sticking to my 2500 maintenance calories for that last 9 months.
  • efranz12
    efranz12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I come from a family of food pushers. And every family get together involves food. Not necessarily bad food just lots of it. I mean I can say "no" to a bowl of ice cream 3 times in a row before I finally get in and ask for a "tiny bowl" and then I'll be given 4 or 5 huge scoops, not a tiny portion. And then comes the guilt "Don't waste food" "You aren't going to finish that?". Makes it hard to have healthy eating habits especially if you're trying to lose weights.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake was greater than my calorie expenditure. Really just that simple. Oh, I could try and explain and justify it, but it all would just sound like excuses to me, and besides it's in the past and I'm only interested in looking forward.
  • Hotmess2012
    Options
    Wow, big family like mine. We have a total of 5 children and my weight has gone between 145 and 202 throughout those pregnancies. 1 lb a week is awesome, how are you managing that with such a large family, I'm sure you have your hands full.
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OH BOY. Well the responsibility of being fat is all on me. I made the bad choices that got me here. But there is history of why I ate the way I did or wanted to.

My Mom became Anorexic when I was 3. She used to keep certain foods out of the house so when I could get my hands on something special I felt the need to eat all of it. Watching her focus on her own weight so much made me focus on it too. I went through puberty earlier than most girls and had curves. I noticed I was bigger and thought I was giant. I quit dance, something I loved, because I was ashamed to be so "fat" next to all these girls with their ribs sticking out. So from then on I was always bigger than most girls but felt like an absolute pig.

I actually started on the road to very fat once my parents separated. My Mom, little sisters, and I all moved to an abused women's shelter. I had to leave school and move and deal with my insane father every two days and unstable mother at the shelter. In this shelter they constantly had food. They got many donations and food from the food bank. I remember they had over 100 packages of coffee Oreos in the basement. This is where my binge eating began. I would stay up later than everyone else in the house reading and once they were asleep I would eat all night long. All during this I was trying to diet, using my mom's habits of eating egg beaters and nothing else.

From there on I was a binge eater. I also started purging and restricting. So from then, around 12, to age 18 it was just a constant cycle of binge eating and gaining weight/restricting and losing weight/purging and maintaining my weight. Diagnosed with EDNOS around this time. My mom became an alcoholic and basically reverted to a 21 year old. It was very stressful. She, although unintentionally, encouraged my bad habits and gave me tips. I then met my current boyfriend and he seemed perfectly happy with my body which made me relax a little but I still binged. Gained about 40 pounds.

And then I got pregnant. During my pregnancy I gained about 30 more pounds and they never really went away. I gained another 25 or so. I got postpartum depression and became suicidal and all I did was binge. I stopped restricting/purging at all. Gained a little more weight. Then my boyfriend and I moved and we started eating out constantly with little or no real food in our house besides things for our daughter. That brought me to where I am today. I'm in a much better place because I know my old habits didn't work and will never work and I have completely let go of my old weight loss mentality.
  • Luvlynamazing
    Options
    I am fat because my husband is rail thin and can eat anything and I thought I could do the same. I am a late night snacker and was just plain lazy...
  • ObeyNooNoo
    Options
    Having three kids, no energy, got lazy, eating crap food for comfort...etc.
  • ObeyNooNoo
    Options
    I am fat because my husband is rail thin and can eat anything and I thought I could do the same. I am a late night snacker and was just plain lazy...

LOL, My husband is also rail thin. He eat so much but have a fast metabolism. He just can't gain weight. I get tempted and eat with him...but got fat lol.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I worked as a phone operator on the 10th floor of a building where the elevators didn't work and the breaks were short or skipped, fridges were broken, food and bags were stolen, and the only chow available was vending machine or greasy cafeteria. After that, I got hooked on video games and lasagna. Fml.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!