How much do you pay for your gym membership?

Options

Replies

• jimstofer
    Options
    If you have a 24 hour fitness near you, Costco.com sells 2 year memberships for $300 (then, if you have a flexible benefits program at your place of work, you can have your doctor write a note saying you need the gym and you'll save another 28-35% because of pre-tax benefit).
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    About $100/month for both my husband and I. Includes whole gym, and 3 pools. (Lifetime Fitness)

Ditto - Lifetime Fitness. but I use everything - the cardio equipment, swimming pool, weights, spin classes, yoga classes, etc... it's worth it. I am there 6 days a week. Nice showers, and all the towels you can use. I use their spa for massage, mani/pedi, too :-)
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I just sign up for OneLife fitness..theres 5 locations in my area and one of them has an indoor pool and rock climbing wall..I paid $49 reg fee then it $39mth plus $9 per child in the kids club 1 yr contract but since i signed up after the 20th they gave me a mth free.. The gym by my house has 50 classes,media room,tanning,cardio and weight training,basketball..also they are open from 5am-11pm most days of the week for those people who need to workout before/after work!

I loved OneLife - unfortunately I moved out of the area so had to leave.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    My work has a partnership with a company that can get us cheap deals. I went with a 1 yr membership to 24 hr fitness $189 & no startup. It's for all locations except super sport. I love it! I also talked em in to extending that deal to my SO.
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I pay $319 for two years (through Costco) and I get way more than my money's worth. I LOVE 24 hour Fitness!

Yep, prepay is the way to go-if you're going to use it!! I got a three year pre-pay at 24 Hour Fitness for $549 with first year guaranteed renewal of $49/year. Not sure if it will increase after that (only first year is guaranteed).

I also belong to Anytime Fitness and pay 19.99/month. Not as many amenities (pool, basketball, stuff I wouldn't use anyway), but has personal training and Fitness on Demand classes.

Good luck!
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    LOVE 24 Hour Fitness ... absolutely necessary for the odd hours I work out, natch.

I paid ~$550 for a 3-year contract some years back. It hurt, but there was a clause in the contract that allowed me to renew annually for $99. I'm currently paying $99/year for All-Club Sport access, which basically means I can work out at any 24 Hour Fitness that's a Sport Club and below, and group classes are free. Plenty for me!

Great deal!! I love 24hr Fitness too!! Mine though is a Super Sport so end up paying more for all club pass but still think its a good deal! No contracts here...

Thanks! Yeah, I almost walked away from the rep when I heard how much the 3-year plan was, but once he said $99/year, I was all ears (I didn't mind the contract because I knew I was in it for the long haul ... I'd been to other gyms, and this by far was the best suited for me). He should've led with that "catch". :laugh:

We don't have any Super Sports in this state, although not sure how many more amenities I really need. They'd probably be nice to visit on a guest pass when I'm on the road though. ;)
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    zero dollars. But I (1) live in a building with a gym, (2) own my own spin bike, (3) run and bike outside (own a road-bike), and (4) own a set of bands for strength training, and a set of push-up bars. ;-)
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I pay $29.99 for the 2 of us at LA Fitness. Keep an eye out on the local gyms and see if they run any specials. My gym offers them DAILY. You might also want to consider a recreation center or YMCA, as those tend to be cheaper (I used to go to one, but ours closed down for renovations).
  • Plove2011
    Plove2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I pay $33 monthly for a family gym membership and $29 for another (Gold's Gym). I save a ton of money not eating out so it's worth having the convenience of both. The family gym is close to work so I can go at lunch and the other I workout with my boyfriend. He prefers the Gold's atmosphere and we're not taking in a ton of calories eating out.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    $10 at Planet Fitness.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    There's a full gym in my office at work (no pool but there are classes) and it's $25/month but if you go 8+ times in one month the fee is waived so basically....nothing! I also have a free gym in my apartment complex.

I used to pay $29.95/month for a local chain gym and I could go to any location (8+) and all classes were included. I loved that place but I moved out of the state
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    $35/ month with 2 $15 gym upkeep fees that are due in November and April. Not bad if I do say so myself!!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    There's a full gym in my office at work (no pool but there are classes) and it's $25/month but if you go 8+ times in one month the fee is waived so basically....nothing! I also have a free gym in my apartment complex.

I used to pay $29.95/month for a local chain gym and I could go to any location (8+) and all classes were included. I loved that place but I moved out of the state
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I pay fifty~four dollars a month. Two pools, spa, sauna, classes, indoor track, you name it, my gym has it...decent hours, too many kids at times, eh....But, I love it. Four Seasons Athletic Club here in Bloomington/Normal IL.
  • lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I pay 10 dollars a month and once a year a 55 or 65 dollar payment
  • MommaNa
    MommaNa Posts: 15
    Options
    I belong to a 24 access gym - $39.95 then I get a 5% discount because of health insurance...
  • needsalotofhelp
    needsalotofhelp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    $35.00,for my husband and I because my husband is in school. Also my gym is a basic one also
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    Monthly pass - $41.80. It includes pool and fitness room, sauna, hot tub. My husband just got the pass as a Christmas gift from his parents for 1 month as I wanted to go swimming.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    OUCH!!! I joined 24-hr fitness in California. I pay 26.99 monthly with no contract. Paid 26.99 initiation fee to join along with first and last months fees. I can use any of their gyms regardless of location.
    All classes are included in the monthly membership fee. And of course the huge benefit of this gym is their hours. Very convenient..
    I know they are always changing their fees...
    I'd check your contract again. You probably can't use Super Sport or the one just below it. You can probably only use the Sport gyms in locations that have them and pay a fee for the others. I used to work for 24hr Fitness in San Ramon (Headquarters are stationed there) and know that Super Sport membership costs more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is true. I went to a Super Sport in O.C. and the desk guys was sure to let me know my membership was All Sport which didn't include Super Sport though he still let me work out for that day. I live in San Diego though and there are only 2 Super Sports and countless Sports. A new Super Sport is opening next year near my job so I'm considering upgrading if I like it. Like I said earlier though I pay $20 per year now and the upgrade will be $20 per month (still a good deal for Super Sport supposedly) but I'm not sure I will want to pay 12 times what I pay now.
    LOVE 24 Hour Fitness ... absolutely necessary for the odd hours I work out, natch.

I paid ~$550 for a 3-year contract some years back. It hurt, but there was a clause in the contract that allowed me to renew annually for $99. I'm currently paying $99/year for All-Club Sport access, which basically means I can work out at any 24 Hour Fitness that's a Sport Club and below, and group classes are free. Plenty for me!

Great deal!! I love 24hr Fitness too!! Mine though is a Super Sport so end up paying more for all club pass but still think its a good deal! No contracts here...

@velvetkat
    Have you been to a regular Sport? Do you find a big difference between the two?

They tell me the difference is the racquetball courts. I have an allsport near me but havent been as the super sport is closer and newer. As soon as my Last hip is repaired I will be able to use the racquetball courts as I love to play!
  • chrisc16
    Options
    I don't pay anything. I bicycle around the neighborhood about 5 miles a day, and use resistance bands for strength training 3 times a week.

Apart from the cost of the bands, about $85, it's zippo!