How much do you pay for your gym membership?

Options

Replies

• turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just joined a local gym that has daycare, and paid $119.00 plus tax for 14 months, and bonus- I get two free months for signing up two of my friends! Score!!!
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    Mine is $60 per month. It has a weights room, a cardio room, a spinning studio, lots of classes including dancing classes, a pool, with aquabiking classes, a jacuzzi, 2 saunas and a hammam.
    It's pretty expensive but I love it so much!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    OUCH!!! I joined 24-hr fitness in California. I pay 26.99 monthly with no contract. Paid 26.99 initiation fee to join along with first and last months fees. I can use any of their gyms regardless of location.
    All classes are included in the monthly membership fee. And of course the huge benefit of this gym is their hours. Very convenient..
    I know they are always changing their fees...
    I'd check your contract again. You probably can't use Super Sport or the one just below it. You can probably only use the Sport gyms in locations that have them and pay a fee for the others. I used to work for 24hr Fitness in San Ramon (Headquarters are stationed there) and know that Super Sport membership costs more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sotobeth
    Options
    I paid a $50 joining fee and now pay $39.99/month for the whole gym (no pool). It has an indoor track, treadmills, ellipticals, weights, and Nautilis equipment plus more. All classes are also free to members. I thought I'd only use the track but I have found myself using the elliptical and the Nautilis.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    $256 with an extra three months free if you join by the year. I know it is more by the month but don't know how much more. This gym has bikes, treadmills, steppers, climbers, all of the weight machines,various classes and personal trainers. In terms of decreased pain and increased flexibility, it is worth every penny. Unfortunately paying for the gym is the easy part :) Doesn't help at all if I don't actually USE it.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I use the local YMCA (Since they are by FAR the cheapest 'gym option). Lifetime Fitness wanted a $150.00 'initialization fee' and a $75.00 administrative fee (both those fees were just at the start up) and THEN the $94.00 a month for my husband and I. All the other 'big name' gyms in my area had similar 'start up' costs which really is what steered me away from them.

So, the YMCA is $53.00/month for both my husband and I.
  • clankp22
    clankp22 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    $14.99 a month at LA Fitness. That includes use of all the facilities (pool included) and all of the classes. My gym has just been remodeled and all of the cardio machines have their own TVs built in. :)
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My husband and I pay $75 a month for our gym membership. Yes, there are cheaper options in our city but this gym is right in our neighborhood (a two minute drive). This made it worth it to us. They have good hours 4am-11pm which is great for my husband as he works nights.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm a Planet Fitness member. I got there Black Card membership for $1 joining fee and $20 per month which gives me 24/7 access toll of their locations, unlimited guest visits (I can bring 1 guest every time I go), unlimited tanning, red-light therapy and massage, and free access to their trainers and training classes.

They don't have a lot of the other stuff like pools, tracks, etc. They have tons of cardio equipment, a 30 minute circuit area (weights and cardio), a 12 minute an circuit, smith machines, cybex weight machines, dumbbells, etc. Everything that I need in a gym.
  • pyknicpie
    Options
    I live in a small town in the UK and our gym, which is quite modern, charges me £40 ($60+) a month
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I pay $39.
    Maybe look and see if your town has a comminuty center or a Y? They may not have an indoor track (which is flippin awesome btw--I would probably pay the extra for that lol) but maybe treadmills for the winter months.
  • KerriPerske
    Options
    I'm privileged to have free employee gym membership. Of course, there are down falls of this. They are only open during off hours, as the gym is used for rehab, and the equipment is limited.
    But hey, It's free!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I pay $40/month and that includes my whole family (husband, 2 young boys and me). They have a great pool with kid area so we take our two young boys (2 years and 4 months) for family time. :smile: They also have an indoor jungle gym for our boys and daycare for when we workout (we haven't used that one yet though). It's a community center and I love it!
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did pay £8 a week for use of the local leisure centre but its never open when you want it and I think its expensive for what it is. SO - I cleared out my garage, bought a weights bench, some free weights and a treadmill. Now I just added a turbo trainer for my bike. so although its cost me something like £400 (the treadmill alone was £180 secondhand 3 months old and was £480 new) it costs me nothing to use as much and as often as I like!
  • califitgrl
    califitgrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OUCH!!! I joined 24-hr fitness in California. I pay 26.99 monthly with no contract. Paid 26.99 initiation fee to join along with first and last months fees. I can use any of their gyms regardless of location.
    All classes are included in the monthly membership fee. And of course the huge benefit of this gym is their hours. Very convenient..
    I know they are always changing their fees...
    I'd check your contract again. You probably can't use Super Sport or the one just below it. You can probably only use the Sport gyms in locations that have them and pay a fee for the others. I used to work for 24hr Fitness in San Ramon (Headquarters are stationed there) and know that Super Sport membership costs more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is true. I went to a Super Sport in O.C. and the desk guys was sure to let me know my membership was All Sport which didn't include Super Sport though he still let me work out for that day. I live in San Diego though and there are only 2 Super Sports and countless Sports. A new Super Sport is opening next year near my job so I'm considering upgrading if I like it. Like I said earlier though I pay $20 per year now and the upgrade will be $20 per month (still a good deal for Super Sport supposedly) but I'm not sure I will want to pay 12 times what I pay now.
    LOVE 24 Hour Fitness ... absolutely necessary for the odd hours I work out, natch.

I paid ~$550 for a 3-year contract some years back. It hurt, but there was a clause in the contract that allowed me to renew annually for $99. I'm currently paying $99/year for All-Club Sport access, which basically means I can work out at any 24 Hour Fitness that's a Sport Club and below, and group classes are free. Plenty for me!

Great deal!! I love 24hr Fitness too!! Mine though is a Super Sport so end up paying more for all club pass but still think its a good deal! No contracts here...

@velvetkat
    Have you been to a regular Sport? Do you find a big difference between the two?
  • fond
    fond Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is from $10.00 to $20.00 a month. The $10.00 has pretty much all a person would need.:tongue:
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My Gym has a $85 sign up fee and with all taxes it's $65 a month. Pool, hot tub, steam room, yoga, pilates, full gym, kick boxing...all classes are included.
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just sign up for OneLife fitness..theres 5 locations in my area and one of them has an indoor pool and rock climbing wall..I paid $49 reg fee then it $39mth plus $9 per child in the kids club 1 yr contract but since i signed up after the 20th they gave me a mth free.. The gym by my house has 50 classes,media room,tanning,cardio and weight training,basketball..also they are open from 5am-11pm most days of the week for those people who need to workout before/after work!
  • Cyndipe
    Options
    Twenty dollars a month at urban athletic
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    $74 for a family pass