How much do you pay for your gym membership?

Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    $60/month...every dollar worth it though. indoor b-ball, 2 pools, clean showers/locker rooms, lots of space.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    $25 a month for 24hr fitness. There are about 6 locations withing 5 miles of me!
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    $54 a month.
    We have a pool, hot tub, sauna.
    A full sized gymnasium.
    Tons of classes.
    2 floors of cardio equipment and weights.
    A fitness studio, spin room
    And a running track.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Free! Army base I'm stationed at has two I can select from.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    $67.95/mo.
    no initiation fee
    one year membership - was a bit cheaper per month for a longer committment (as in 2-5 years)

American Family Fitness
    gx studio
    cycle studio
    mind/body studio
    basketball courts
    raquetball/volleball courts
    lap pool
    fitness pool
    kids pool
    hot tub
    steam rooms in each locker room

endless selection of cardio & weight equipement (2 levels)

LOVE IT!

(Plus for 6 months I was paying an additional $620/month for two trainers, four days a week -- ouch! - but it really helped me, and I wouldn't change it for anything. now I have one trainer only twice a month - extra $100/month)

**I also have a gym in my neighborhood that I frequent since I moved in with my boyfriend, but I keep my gym membership at AFF**
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I pay $NZD68/month and for me it is completely worth it! I live in New Zealand and we have an awesome chain of gyms called les Mills. I adore the classes and I am quite happy to pay this much. This fee entitles me to general gym equipment (elliptical etc), group classes, shower/lockers/sauna etc. I have tried machines in the past but I find I get bored so the classes are the best option for me. I love BodyCombat which is all punching and kicking. I go 3 times per week so it costs roughly $5 per visit. It is also where I do my weigh ins!!!!

My gym also offers les mills classes -- haven't tried them but i hear they are great!!
  • irenep22
    Options
    19.99 per month plus 10 a month for 1 1/2 hrs of babysitting! not bad at all! ;)
  • Bentesmart
    Bentesmart Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So I currently work for a gym and have worked for a few other gyms in the past. With gyms you get what you pay for. Prices vary on a few different things, the quality of gym, the location can have a large impact as well. If you are getting a gym membership in SF for example, you will easily pay twice as much as in a residential area.
    If you are looking for a clean and sterile gym, this is another thing I would evaluate. There are some gyms that are based on the business model of Low Cost -- High Volume. The monthly cost is cheaper, but the gym is more crowded, because their strategy is sell as many memberships as you can, who cares if these people reach their goals. OR you can go for a Higher Cost -- Low Volume. These gyms usually have nicer facilities, are cleaner, have services such as towel service, friendly staff, and people that actually care about you reaching your goals.
    I am very serious about my fitness and a seriously into female body building. If a gym is CLEAN, CONVENIENT, and has the EQUIPMENT I need, I will gladly pay $120 a month rather than to travel farther (making it less likely for me to workout) and increase the risk for some serious cooties and infections. EW!

Everyone's needs and priorities are different though. Lower price does not always equal better gym. Wherever you see you being most likely to reach your goals is where you should join. Not to mention, if the gym is a bit of a monetary commitment, you are more likely to go because you do not want to WASTE that money.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    30 bucks a month, 24 hr gym. It was 45 but we did a couples package - my fiance and I - so instead of 90 (45 each) they drop it to 30 each.
  • TheMannon
    TheMannon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    $48/month at the local JCC - great facility with all the amenities, well-maintained, and never overly crowded.
  • SpencerGJackson
    SpencerGJackson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    $20 dollars a month! I use Planet Fitness. It's just a basic gym, nothing fancy
    Odd. Planet Fitness is $10 monthly here. (Southern California)
  • shellecollins
    shellecollins Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    $11 a month for Planet Fitness!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Sweetuselessnecrobro
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    $19.95 per month. When I joined a gym several years ago, it was a smaller local chain. This chain was bought out by a big national chain, so now I have access to a number of locations, all with machines, free weights, pool, hot tub, sauna, classes, basketball court. There's also a smoothie cafe that sells smoothies, juice, protein bars, etc.
  • Stacius
    Stacius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym anymore but the price I was paying for the "cheapest" gym was $48 per month. Tiny gym, no classes. Only cardio machines, free weights, weight machines and a tiny free area for bodyweight exercises. Good for someone who doesn't need much.

Before that the gym was $68 per week and it included classes, a sauna that is temperamental, a women's only area, large mixed area of weights and cardio machines. It had a rockclimbing wall but due to non-use it was removed.

I plan on joining a university gym when I move cities and this gym will be $62 per week on a 12 month contract. As far as I can see it allows you access to both gym locations, the gym ill be using mostly has a 25m lap pool (yay for tri training), classes included, weights, cardio machines etc. The other location has a 50m lap pool, indoor running track, and a cycle centre (to store your bike with neat services, but it costs extra)

Gyms in Australia aren't cheap for what you get :/