WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• justkate2
    justkate2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Having written earlier on that being a grandmother is the best, I've suddenly realised why so many people have 'joked' about wishing they could have skipped having children and gone straight to grandkids. My DD#2, who I have always been closest to is shutting me down and out. She is at a crisis in her life and I really want to help her, but she doesn't want my help (not that I could do much for her). The short version of the story is that her and SIL have been married for 11 years and have spent all of that time trying to get pregnant. They have spent thousands and thousands of pounds on IVF treatment - eight rounds in total - all unsuccessful and they have finally decided that it's just not going to happen. So, my daughter has decided to throw herself into her career, move to Germany and separate from her husband.

It's really difficult to watch someone else's life fall apart - especially when you love them so much. My DH and I love our SIL so much too - he's like an extra son and I feel desperately sorry for him. He just has to go along with what my DD decides.

For the first time in two years I have felt like eating the refrigerator today! My old demon comfort eating is trying to raise it's fat, ugly head. I will beat it though. My intentions are a stompy walk in the rain; a hot bath and a cuddle with my DH who makes my life so much better.

Love to you all.
    Amanda x
  • justkate2
    justkate2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Amanda, was going thru the posts from yesterday and saw yours. WOW did that hit home Yesterday I too had a huge disagreement with DD#4 Her and her husband have been having problems ( Ill just say that the holidays were awful due to " anger issues " I think you can figure that one out ) So we did not see him over the holidays she came alone with her two children. He had moved out and they started couples counseling last Friday. So yesterday daughter #2 gets a call from her she is furious with me because she claims that I was saying mean things about her behind her back. Then she proceeded to say that Her husband is the only person who has always been there for her. To say the least I was angry but I think more hurt than anything. I have always had a wonderful relationship with her and have been there whenever she needed me. I think she feels the need to blame someone and has picked me But to tell you the truth I really cant go thru this kind of drama and stress again. Decided last nite ( after I cried and ate and cried and ate ) I need to focus on me and let her make her own decisions. Its hard but I know I dont deserve the things she said about me. Im taking it a day at a time and will see what happens. Anyway enough about me I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone because I know that it helps to have someone going thru the same thing as you. Hang in there we will get thru this and so will our daughters Kate :cry:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Robin your grandbaby is precious.
    Got the MRI results.Lots of damage,arthritis,acl damage,inflammation,tears,have appt with a n ortho dr on thurs.
    Possibly surgery.just had knee surgery 1 year ago on the rt knee.
    Could use prayers and support.
    Thanks!
    hugs
    jane
    /quote]

i am so sorry jane....will prayer for you....having had knee surgery i realized how you must feel, along with the recovery and therapy it take a while to be mobile again....is there a second opinion??is this definite???/good luck
  • Pam3
    Options
    good morning lovely ladies,

im off to bible study class, then run some errands, no gym or workouts today:sad: :sad: but i'll make up for it tomorrow(spinning and weights)....had a good day with food, logging and workouts yesterday:flowerforyou: ....i will check back in later.....have a good day all
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A big step forward this morning. DBF had the breathing tube taken out, but he is very confused and the nurse was a bit concerned about his behaviour and wondered whether he is violent because he keeps hitting the bed. I explained no, but sometimes very determined if he doesn't get his own way. He's never been violent witht me - had one abusive husband, so wouldn't even entertain going out with him if he ever laid a hand on me and he knows that too.

He does understand that he is in the hospital, but the nurse doesn’t think he understands yet that he had heart surgery.

I’ll go in and see him a little later, but I'm going to try to get to aquafit class this morning as I need something to relax.

Lots of chores lined up for the day - checking my GF house and DBF's apartment and I must get some gas, so I hope the price is good today. But I need it whether it is good price or not.
  • pecanpiej
    Options
    Well, I am new (just joined yesterday) and for the first time in years I feel that I might actually be able to do this. I have already made some friends and am very happy about that because the wonderful friends that live near me don't want to work on their weight and I need to be in a group who haven't given up. I am going on a Washington DC trip later this year with my Grandson's 8th grade class and want to have enough energy to keep up. I know this weight is holding me back from the life I want to live, so it needs to go. It is nice to see a group that addresses the needs of women who are 50 plus. This is so much fun!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for the well wishes and the ideas about staying warm. Barbie, we use a heating pad at home to warm our feet. Lol

Robin- the Grandbaby is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy.

I'm on my IPad and haven't figured out yet how to take notes and post. So, let me say Gratz to all who are doing well and send a warm hug to those in need.

Amanda- sorry to hear your daughter is struggling with life.

Hubby is having a routine procedure today, so I am sitting in the waiting room. I think I already had what ever windfall I am getting as I sit here typing on the IPad I won at work. Lol. Hopefully, hubby will get on disability soon. FYI for those newer - he was a teacher and got hurt on the job breaking up a fight at school and can't work any more. So on top of everything else we are now a single income family.

Anna's hip doctor is Canadian. He took us knowing it would be years for him to get paid because he knew he was the only one who could help her.

Have a great day all,

Jeannie
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options

Another question: when a food goes into your list of recent foods and then after a while it is no longer there, is there some way you can retrieve that. Like there are times when I make something and put it in the freezer. I don't get around to finishing it up until after it is no longer in the list. When I go to search for it, I find lots of other things like it, but I'm not sure of my exact item. For example, say I make a meatloaf. There are lots of meatloaves in the database. If I don't eat it in a certain time, it gets deleted from my "recent" foods list. And then I'm not sure which meatloaf that is in the database is the one that I'm having. Does this make sense?

Michele

michele, i know what you mean...what i do is use the recipe calculator and save my recipe there(i dont save it to the MFP database)......hope this helps.....oh i think that persons diary must be private...if not it would say "view...."

I don't know if you noticed that if you look at the bottom, you can go through probably 4 pages of your recent foods. That doesn't always catch it for me, but it helps. Also, yes, if you can't see the diary, they have made it private, and no one else can see it either. They are just commenting based on the post that you see.

I went swimming yesterday. I am a slower swimmer than any of my swim buddies, and sometimes I let that bother me, but last night while doing laps, I just thought about Barbie's quote that I was lapping everyone that was on the couch! :laugh: And also, I always remember what one of my swim buddies tells me, "Anything that we do is better than nothing."

Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday. No time for individual comments, so it's back to work for me! Mary
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Low Fat Blueberry Yogurt Muffins

Nutritional info is listed in the MFP food database, under "Generic - Low Fat Blueberry Yogurt Muffins" so you can easily add to your food diary. 109 calories per muffin

Makes 20 muffins

2.5 c. whole wheat flour or a combo of ww and white
    2 t. baking powder
    1 t. baking soda
    1/4 t. salt
    1 c. granulated sugar
    2/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
    1 egg
    1.5 c. fresh (or frozen, partially defrosted) blueberries
    1 c. non-fat plain yogurt (or a "light" blueberry yogurt of any brand)

Oven 375, spray muffin tins with PAM - or - use paper liners

Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt in large bowl.
    In separate bowl blend egg, sugar, yogurt and applesauce.
    Fold wet ingredients into dry, then fold in berries.
    Fill muffin tins about 2/3 full, sprinkle sugar on top if desired.
    Bake 20 - 25 minutes.

Yummy. I add more berries than the amount called for, sometimes double, lol.

:^) jb
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies. Hope everyone started off their day on track. Had a steep fall off diet last night.... back on track this morning. Cleaning Day. Off to be productive.

Sarah
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    @rjadams....your granddaughter is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!:love:

Ditto! she really is!!
  • NorthwestLadybug
    NorthwestLadybug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies!

I'm really enjoying reading through these posts, getting to know a bit about each of you. I like the fact that, although weight and health are definitely central topics to this board, they are not the ONLY topics discussed, and it seems that you are all so interested in the many facets of each others' lives. That is, after all, more what real life is like...

The rest of this week should be high stress for me, as I'm waiting to hear about two jobs, one at Microsoft and one at Disney. The one at Disney is actually in a division that I helped start about (gasp!) 30 years ago (Disney Interactive), so it'll be interesting to see what comes of it. I find that my age often works against me -- not that any hiring managers would ever admit that! -- and that it comes down to me and some 30-something male whipper-snapper, who usually wins out. So I'm trying to just "be Zen" about everything and take what comes (or doesn't). If neither one works out, I still have my own consulting company that I can re-focus on.

I just got off the phone with a "life coach" whose services are offered through my husband's company. He's the one who told me about MFP in the first place and our weekly calls keep me accountable. But it's my FRIENDS here who keep me inspired! I'm starting to believe that I CAN actually lose this weight this time and re-claim my youth -- er, I mean my HEALTH!

The Seattle snow has melted and life here is returning to normal after last week's "snowmageddon." That means I can actually get to the gym. So off I go! Thanks again for your collective positivity and support!

Carol
  • Lululagrand
    Lululagrand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Fabulous & Fit Fifties ladies!

I'm new and always look on the Sunny Side of Life! Started Monday & lost 2 lbs just by paying attention to tracking! Imagine what a little interaction could do :)
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Well .....a late good afternoon folks.

I've been reading through back posts ..... and wish all of you with new additions to the family ...congratulations! :heart: What joy these little bundles bring !! And ...All of you that are feeling under the weather or who have loved ones in poor health, :flowerforyou: I do hope that recovery is on the cards. It so often seems an endless round of doctors, hospitals and treatment but hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel.:flowerforyou: All of you that are struggling with ups and downs of life in general and family life too, I hope it all turns out OK. It's hard to stand back and watch family go down paths that you wouldn't entertain.

:noway: So...here I am this afternoon ....with two mousetraps ready to bait!! (It says biscuit, chocolate or bacon on the packet)
    Neither of our cat's has owned up, but I think it's the little Himalayan!!, to letting a moose loose in the hoose!!
    It's actually gone to ground in the lounge, under the skirting board radiator system. Sooo ...tonight we intend to bait the traps, place them strategically and shut the doors. In the hope that "Mickey" ...or could be "Minnie", is feeling peckish. We've asked cats to assist but as always, they do their own thing! I fear that if it's not caught, it's going to cook behind the radiator housing and begin to ....hummmm! Of course ...it may have escaped altogether by now and has scurried off somewhere else!!

A lot has happened since I last logged in ......last August would you believe!!
    :love: I, too, have a new grandson. Finley James was born on Halloween. He's so gorgeous but did give us a scare. We travelled south to see the new addition and found ourselves looking after his brother(Now 21/2) for three days while he was admitted to hospital with severe jaundice. All turned out well and now at 3 months ...you could just hug him to bits.

:glasses: DH and I went on our Alaskan cruise in Sept. and had a great time. We even went on the Zip line at Hoonah ....breathtaking ...literally!! It took 1 1/2 hours to get to the launch site and I think less than 2 minutes to reach the base!!I lost my hat on the way down ....so if you're in Alaska and see a large brown bear wearing a cute brown hat...it's mine!!!
    And ...I did only put on a few pounds ....haven't lost them either. YET!!!

:love: And .....#1 son & DIL announced in Sept. that they too were expecting a new addition to the family. A bit of a shock that one, as #1 GS is 13 and GD is 9. They struggle financially too but manage! So even more of a shock was the call that said it was twins!!
    So ...I'm in good company then, with Amanda having been there, done that and had the T shirt!! It's a boy and a girl... due end of April!! They're cooking niceley at the moment. Quick changes in the transport situation have taken place, bedroom rearranging is on going too.It's going to be a tight squeeze. We're housing double ...car seats, bouncers, cots etc 'til they're required.

:glasses: We're on cruise countdown again! We're off to China for a tour and then a cruise in 4 weeks time.. The tragic Costa disaster hasn't put us off but things seem to have gone in 3's!! the Costa tragedy, then the wing worries with the A380 plane...yep we're booked on one and now with bird flu flaring up ....in China......Oh dear!!!

Anyway ....sorry to prattle on! It helps me "Not Eat"!!!
    It 's good to be back with a great bunch of MF Pals.

BFn
    :flowerforyou: Jackie
  • scompton54
    Options
    Hi everyone

I didn't lose any weight this week, but I didn't gain either. Yesterday was the food portion of my grade 10's final evaluation so my calorie count for yesterday was brutal ( 3 kinds of cake, 2 different kinds of fish and chips amongst other things) Even with just taking a mouthful, it's a lot of extra food, fat and sugar I wouldn't normally eat. Today was kitchen clean up day and tomorrow exams start so no more cooking for a couple of weeks and then it all starts again.

I've had a month of really good, energetic working out and have met and surpassed my goal of 360 minutes a week, but this week, I am having a lot of trouble getting going. I just feel tired and sore. I think part of it is the time of year. I know that many will see this as blasphemy, but I actually wish we had more snow so I could get out X country skiing more. Right now it's about 2 hours away and I can't get there every week.

I've had my son and DIL with me for most of the last month which has been great in one way but difficult in another.....we have been hanging out and cooking and eating together a lot which is fun and delicious but not always so good for weight watching. Since they are on holidays, it's more "party time" for them and red wine is my downfall, quite apart from the fact that making good choices tends to slip after a glass or two of wine. They both just finished teachers' college (out west, I hadn't seen them since last Christmas) and are interviewing now for international schools. They taught in Asia for 2 1/2 years and while I got to visit them in Thailand, there was a 2 year gap between our times together. Now they are looking at Europe or South or Central America so it will be another long distance. I am excited for them and just a little jealous that they are about to have a great new adventure in somewhere warm. My two daughters both live in Montreal, my hometown, which is 6 hours away so I see them more but not as often as I like.

A couple of you were saying how hard it is to stand by while your adult kids go through hard times. I can honestly say that I have worried more about my kids since they got launched than I did when they were little, when a kiss or hug or story book would solve everything. I know we all have to go through hard and easy times but somehow I want my kids to be exempt! On the whole though, I am so proud of how independent and successful my children are being, I just wish they could be so a little more closely to me.

Anyway, I'm going to fight the malaise and head to the gym this afternoon and kick some butt....my own, I think :smile:

Sarah
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Welcome Carol and Lulu! A good attitude goes a long way on this journey, so you are starting off well. Good luck with the job search, Carol! Sounds like you've found some good options.

Sarah: Heading to the gym or getting exercise is the very best medicine for anything you are worried about, I find!

Jackie: Wow! You've had and are having a great year of travel! I am sure the China trip will be great. Look forward to hearing all about it and the twins...What an exciting time for you! (Hope you get the mouse too!)

To those of you who are struggling with the scale moving down TOOOOOOOOO SLOWLYYYYYYYYY, I can tell you what NOT to do better than what TO DO! At this age I find that all calories are not the same and the time of day that I eat them matters. My "WHAT NOT TO DO" List INCLUDES:

Eating carbs, especially simple carbs, at night...dinner or after dinner (I do best when I limit them to breakfast and lunch only)
    Eating any sweets in the evening, no matter the calorie count
    Sitting too much during the entire day
    Having wine or alcohol of any type
    Not eating enough vegetables throughout the day

NOW, after saying this, I will tell you I obviously do these things more than I should or I wouldn't have any weight to lose! BUT when I really am focused on dropping weight, I avoid doing the 5 things on the list above, and the scale will move down. As with everything, easier said than done!:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: I am just trying to avoid these 5 things MOST days and working on being more consistent each day.:drinker: I would be curious to hear others' tips of "what not to do" or..."what to do" ... that work for you. The simplest I have heard is, "Move More, Eat Less"!

I have been out doing heavy pruning, dragging and hauling of limbs on some property that our Garden Club maintains. I am heading back out for the afternoon but wore my HRM this morning and it says that I burned 812 calories just this morning!! I don't think this kind of activity is "light gardening"!

Have a great day, Dear Ladies! Kackie:heart::heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just popping in to say HI......I have no Idea where yesterday went, one thing I know that without internet at work and being able to keep up with everyone at lunch makes this much harder:wink:

For those of you having "issues" with your kids, {{{Hugs}}} I'm sure at some time all of us have experienced something sometime with our kids, some more than others....which leads me to

AHHHH the baby pictures are Lovely:bigsmile: they do start out so small.

My audit went so smoothly....of course he had to arrive early as our office was sitting down to lunch, so I set him up next to me with the stacks of files and let him do whatever he had to. I just pulled the report from my email, and it looks like what I expected, of course when your company is in Chapter 11 paying past due taxes, etc gets a bit challenging:huh:

I don't have time to comment on everyone right now, but know I'm thinking of all of you and with all of us pulling together we can do this...so drink your water:drinker: and get up and get moving which is where I'm headed right now, the bike and treadmill are waiting for me:drinker:

:smile: Laura

Jackie- another trip...I think I can have my suitcase ready in about 5 min and I'm ready to go:wink:
  • kleinbuenstorf
    Options
    Good evening everybody, :flowerforyou:

It was a good day, walked my 5 miles and my bum right foot did just fine!!! :happy: Had healthy food and logged everything !!!
    Now, if I just would loose some !!! :grumble:
    Oh, well I'll just keep going!!! :laugh:

Welcome to all the newcomers, I know you'll like this great group !!
    Salad Sistas - had a yummy salad tonight: Romain, Mandarin Oranges, Cranberries, Pecans and fat free Feta. Dressing: Orange juice, Olive Oil, Vinegar, Salt, Pepper and Green Onions!!!
    Sue - I really have seen a huge improvement in my flabby thighs since I walk 5 miles every day @ 4 mph!!
    Amanda - I'm so sorry you have all those worries and I'. glad you still can think of positive ways to get through!! Hang in there!
    Pecanpiej - You can do it!!!
    Jeannie - hope your husband is doing well and that things are going to work out for you !!
    Carol - Welcome !!! Hope your week is going to be AWESOME and that you'll get the job that's just right for you !!
    Lululagrand - Welcome and congrats on a great beginning !!!
    Jackie - Good luck on the " hunt " !!! Congrats on the new addition to the family and I'm glad he is okay!! Your travels sound wonderful and I'm sure you have wonderful memories !!
    Kackie - Love your "what not to do list".
    Laura - sooo glad your audit went well !!

Have a wonderful and relaxing evening, :flowerforyou:
    Desiree
  • Pam3
    Options
    hi girls,

today started out very nice, breakfast and lunch logged and healthy, was active running errands and things around the house(my house is now the market, and have been having lots of showings)my dinner was a homemade turkey burger with roasted sweet potato,but then i started eating some fig newtons(i dont know why I bought them my son wont eat them)i want to kick myself for eating the WHOLE box....over 1000 calories.....i know WHY i ate them, there is so much going on for me now, my oldest is moving to new orleans, (i will miss much)we will down sizing ...though i have been planning for the move for a while, it still something i wish i wont have to do......GOSH just writing this here is making me feel better.....i didnt workout today(no time)i feel better when i exercise everyday, but wednesday is bible study class and errand day...thanks for listening....be well all...tomorrow is another day:flowerforyou:
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone:happy:
    fairly new at this site. but after reading posts....I get good advise, suggestions and inspiration. we all fall .....we all get up.
    Keep the good news coming....keep the advise flowing.....lessons learned are VERY helpful. Good night all. Have a good day tomorrow.:flowerforyou: