40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    WhataBroad - Pancake *kitten*?! I have that!! :laugh:

I love to run too and love cardio in general, but I'm thinking I may need to back off a bit to make more time for strength training.

Solobiker - I so get where you're coming from! It's great to live by the mountains!

Expecting 60's in the Denver area this weekend!! Great fall weather to do all kinds of fun stuff!

Have a great night!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Wow! I feel like I have fallen off the cool kid wagon! So many new folks on the board...welcome!

Was away for a work conference. 2 nights in Toronto and never set foot into a store. Was really hoping I would get a bit of Christmas shopping done. O well.

Got my lifting in today. Noticed I was able to go a little heavier which made me happy.

Beeps, you look fantastic! Those arms!

Kelly sue...wow! What a difference. You also look great! WTG ladies!

Good clean eating day today. Need more of those. :tongue:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Cool Kids!! Did some aerobics and resistance training today. Gets the blood flowing first thing in the morning!!!

Beeps!- Love the "Fuschia" shoes! You look great by the way!

No big weekend plans. A hair appointment tomorrow morning and then groceries- Ugh! I plan on getting some lifting in there somewhere as well!

Have a great day!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm still pretty sore from Wednesday's work-out...I think today isn't a "10-to-1" complex, but rather a "5 times" complex. I'll be lowering the weight just to make it through.

NO company this weekend!! That means I have a weekend "off" for the first time in 6, and tonight, I don't even have meetings! That's my first free "night" in 5.

PAJAMA-TIME!
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    I'm glad you started this thread.. Being 40 and over requires more patience and dicipline. It is just simply harder to lose when your body is preparing for hormone changes etc,...I have been 30lbs over weight for almost a year and it has extremly frustrating, very hard to lose as I'm also dealing with fluctuating hormones...but aim really determined and look forward to the support.
  • acoustictones
    Options
    You ladies and gents are all awesome. Just thought I'd share the following. This 64 year old great grandpa is a BEAST, and he didn't even start working out until he was 55. You'll see his before picture around 1:47 in, and then some amazing things he can do now all the way through the end. Very, very cool and inspiring: http://youtu.be/NPG94VMWPww

David
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday cool kids!

Well I finally got my Halloween stuff up! lol Not done yet but will finish today! We were the Avengers last year so who knows what we will be this year! My hubby was Thor, I was the Black widow and my boys were Captain America, Hulk and Iron man!

So far the boys will be the Iron patriot, Bat Man and A Red Mega Force Power ranger! I am working as a witch tomorrow! Should be fun!

We are all still getting over this cold/virus thing but better!

Take care everyone and have a super weekend! ;)

Chelle
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    acoustic - that was f*cking awesome!! grandpa is ripped!!

Beeps - enjoy your PJ time!!!

CHRISTTY - diet is key in this... log EVERYTHING you put in your mouth and start lifting if you aren't already!

Today was superset day... my legs were burning but it hurt so good!! gonna need extra stretches today =) Run after work today and then pajama time for me too =)

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!!
  • Onemoodycuss
    Onemoodycuss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What does one do to join the 40+ club? Is there an application fee?
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this on the message boards again! I've had an MFP acct for a while, but have only recently been 'active' esp on msg boards.

Could someone explain how I can continue to see this board, because it's not like a group you can join, right?

btw -- I'm 47, trying, like everyone else here, to beat the clock! Began this most recent journey from obesity to fitness appx 4yrs ago from an all time max of 202 --- I'm 5'1, so that was pretty damn high! --- last year at this time I was down to 125 and could really see that light at the end of the tunnel. Then, a series of 'that's life' issues allowed me to derail until I was back up to 145... and man is it ever a struggle to lose it again!!

I'm finally down a few pounds, and am back on track with my exercise: running 2-3x wk, lifting 3x (just started Strong Lifts 3wks ago). It's great to commiserate with and cheer on others who share the issues that pending 'mid-life' can bring ...
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Christinemac- click on "Community" and then on "My Topics". Anything that you have recently posted in will show up.

Welcome to all of the new people!!
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yo Cool Kids! Happy Friday!

Today is my 15th wedding anniversary. :) We are going to go out tonight and I am going to enjoy myself. However in anticipation of tonight I have been saving some extra calories each day this week. I figure I will go over but it isn't everyday that you celebrate 15 years with someone. :D

I wish I could have excercised more but this darn pinched nerve is hindering any kind of lifting or anything other than walking at a moderate pace (per Dr orders). I am so afraid of losing any muscle gains. Call me vain but I like the way my legs are looking. I guess this gives me time to work on getting my arms/shoulders/back looking like some of my idols on here. :)
  • solobiker
    Options
    Happy 15th bkw

Awesome day here. I don't sleep well...have not in several years so since I woke up at 2 am I decided to hop on my spin bike at 4 forabout 45 min before getting ready for work. After work wrnt for a walk then fid an arm workout described by Beeps. This workout reminded me of one I sometimes do with a deck of cards. The clubs are curls, the spades are dips , hearts are some form of plank or situps, and diamonds uusually cslf raises. I start with the dack face down. Turn up 1 card at a time and that is your exercise. For example if i turn up a 10 of spades then I do 10 dips. It kind of mixes up my routine a bit.

Have a great weekend!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    princessofred - I really enjoyed reading about your family's halloween costumes....sounds very FUN in your neck of the woods!

WhataBroad - I hope you have a good weekend, too!

Onemoodycuss - I'll accept $50 for entrance, for sure!

christinemac - everyday, for all of us, is "one-day-at-a-time" - sounds like you are ON TRACK!

bkw99508 - happy 15th anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful time.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!!! :drinker: :drinker: I read some of the posts yesterday but didn't have time to post. Welcome to the newcomers!!!! :drinker:

I did Bikram yesterday! I am always so happy when I can fit it in. I lift today. Then on to see my granddaughter cheer at an event in downtown. That should be fun, it is her first one and will be too cute. She is 5 and LOUD!!! :laugh: :love: I am going to Sea World tonight with my daughter for the Halloween festivities so lots of walking and screaming!!!! :noway: I am participating in a 2 hour Zumba master class with a singer who does a lot of songs for Zumba workouts, Watatah. That should be a lot of fun. This coming week will be a very busy one at work, Zumba work and personal stuff. Gotta love October!!!

Bkw Happy Anniversary!!!!:drinker: :drinker: How long has it been since you've had the pinched nerve? You don't lose muscle fast. Do your walks as prescribed, you will get back in shape quickly once you get the ok. :flowerforyou:

Solobiker, I've heard about the deck card workout. Awesome!!!

Christine, welcome!! Just hang in there and don't give up!!!! As Beeps said, one day at a time.

Whatabroad, what % of macros is recommended? I couldn't figure that out. I know for proteins in 1.15g/lb and that stays the same for training and rest days. He recommends eating more fat on rest days than trng days and more carbs on training days than rest days but what %? Are you cutting or slow bulking? I want to cut. For that I understood than on trng days you eat 10% about TDEE and 30% below on rest days. correct? this can be confusing and my problem is the lack of patience to figure it all out. That might be the reason I don't see the results I want. :grumble: :mad:

HAVE AN AWESOME WEEKEND!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Checking in as I am nearing my 45th birthday and my goal is 160 by then, ultilmately I'd like to be 150, but there are holidays between now and my January birthday and I'm a realist. I'm NOT going to lose 2lbs/wk during the annual eating season.

I hope that I still climb trees makes me a cool kid. (There were apples up there and I wanted them for a pie.)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got my scheduled cardio in-and-done. ZOOM!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    44 here. i get up and run at 3 45 in the morning. i am a personal trainer by day and a kick *kitten* mom the rest of the time. im considered a cool mom...therefore i think i fit right in here!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Alf - I did a custom, I still have 28lbs of fat to go so I don't add anything to training days and I am -30% on my rest days. If you are looking to cut, then leave as is suggested? The beautiful thing with these calculators is they are meant to take the guess work out! =)

Bkw - happy 15th! Hope you had an awesome time out celebrating! And as Alf said, you'll be fine, just keep up with fast paced walking until it's better.

solo biker - wow, crazy sleeping pattern there. What did you do with those 2 hours in between?

crazy4lulu - welcome! You look fantastic BTW! How long have you been a personal trainer?

I did a HIIT session and then a 6 mile hill interval run... made them hills my ***** today! I really like to go for a run after HIIT, my muscles are revved and ready. Housework that gets neglected all week is what's planned for the rest of my day and then tomorrow is active rest. Looking forward to chillaxing.
  • solobiker
    Options
    Another great day...still not great at the whole sleeping thing but oh well. Did a HIIT workout for about 40 min this morning and a walk this evening. I hope to head up to the mountains...or at least the foothills for a hike tomorrow. I think I need to eat more as I am pretty hungry. I have been trying to keep my calories 1200-1500..

On fun notes, I have been trying to get some gifts done for the holidays. I do woodworking and sewing...ahhh so much to do and so little time. :-)

Whatabroad, as for my sleep pattern and what I did with those 2 hours, I waited thinking that I may fall back to sleep, then I was trying to decide if I wanted to work in my sewing room or workout.