40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Morning Kid's!
    Down to 169 lbs. this morning. Whoop under 170! Down 43 lbs.
    Shoulders bothering me a little after lifting Wednesday. Damn you derechos! I blame them because I had to help with some large tree limbs they brought down; bothered me ever since. Thursday I did all cardio. Then proceeded to eat back most of my exercise calories. Pleasantly surprised with the 1 lb. lost considering.
    BMI down to 26.5
    Waist to height ratio down to .45
    Hello Alf! I recently stopped doing these side leg lifts in the pool when my hips were bothering me; that seemed to help me. Hope you can get some relief with the PT.
    Carmel- I'm freezing thinking about it. LOL
    Beeps- Keep up the lifting.
    Kelly Sue- Glad you found a new home. Though I don't envy all the packing/moving. LOL. I think we end up helping my Mom move once a year.
    Larro- I'm with you on the southern/soul food. I like to eat.
    Hello Newbies! and sorry if I forgot anyone.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me fello 40 something peeps....it's all good in the hood
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    46 years old, 5 pounds left to lose before maintenance. Got a husband and two cats.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids -

44 in two days. I started this latest weight loss journey on 7/31/12, exactly 27 months ago. I started at 202 lbs and who knows what body fat %. I hit my goal 3 days ago (I took some weeks and months off over the past two years) - 5' 7.5", 160 lbs. Body fat will be confirmed on 11/7, but I think I'm between 10-12% given my vascularity and ab definition. 6-7 days a week of running and heavy lifting for over two years, but I'm in the best shape of my life. Next goal: 158-160 lbs and 8% body fat.

If I can do it, ANYONE CAN! Get after it!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hey cool kids! I want to be cool, too, so I am a newbie posting for the first time in this thread. Turn that "like a virgin" song off, please. I just moved in from O-B-City. I lost a little junk moving here.

I am a father of 3 cool kids and a husband of 20 years to a cool wife. My goal is to get my bodyfat down, keep my muscles up, and keep getting younger by the minute. I may not reach the last goal, but I am doing good on the first. I go to the gym 6 days a week. I enjoy steady state cardio, heavy weights, Jeep adventures in the desert (I live in AZ), and joking around and not being too serious about much of anything, unless I have to. I like making good memories.

So, I hope you get what you want, or at least what you need ...
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween Cool Kids!

Sorry I missed yesterday. Got swept up at work, and never have time after. Quiet morning today thouh. I had to drive since it's storming today. :( Which also means I don't get to climb back on the big motorbike that threw me back in January. We finally got it all put back together. I'll admit that I'm fairly nervous about getting back on that horse :\ , so I don't mind putting it off a couple more days. Our building is having a potluck at lunch, and I'm surrounded by bowls of candy and cookies!!! Aaaaaahhhh! Keeping the office door closed.

We're hunkering down for Halloween. Couple of friends coming over. One is bringing apple bbq shredded chicken at only 200 cal. per serving! She's a dear. We'll watch a scary movie. Should be fun.

I am, of course, proud of my Giants...but deep down inside I wouldn't have minded seeing the Royals win. It was a great story, and a nail-biting series!

Caramel, cool sculpting sounds interesting. I'll do some research too! Your posts have been sooo full of energy they practically vibrate on the screen. I can hear the guitar from here. LOL I want you as my PT!

Mrbyte, I feel your pain. After my accident I was down for many months. Just starting to climb back up. It can be maddening, but so important to go slow and smart. Hang in there.

Mygnsac, rain is here on the north coast! Stormy weather is a good mood-setter for Halloween. I'm in the sme boat you were in yesterday, not packing my own food. I picked up a breakfast burrito (a good organic one!) at the co-op, so I won't be ravenous when the potluck starts. The soup you described sounds divine. I might have to make a batch of that this weekend!

Larro, I love the shooting house! Your trees are in very neet rows. Is it a farm? Thanks for the funny shower story. ;) You crack me up.

Kate, the alone time at the gym sounds lovely. Shoulders are so delicate, but it looks like your routine has some good strengthening exercises for them.

Sdereski, nice job on the back to back runs! I hope you post pics of the beautiful mermaid! I, too, am pretty freaked out about the 50 shades of Q! It's on at 2 every day here, so I hear him alot. Sad day for the CBC.

KS, congratulations on the new house!!! I can't imagine the packing. I've also been in my house for close to 20 years. I guess it's a good opportunity to refresh. Don't get too crazy. Slow is steady, and steady is fast.

Welcome fit4lifemom. Hope you kick your cold and hang around with us for awhile.

Wecome olystacy. Being at peace with your body is the biggest NSV (Non Scale Victory -- learned that one from Caramel).

Beeps, Rock On!

Alf, so glad to hear from you! I'm a Nov. baby too :flowerforyou:

Have a great weekend everyone, I'll likely be AWOL till Monday. Crab and Mussel seasons open tomorrow, and we're taking our pots & rings out on the kayaks! Thank you ocean.

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    It's Friday!! It has not been a great morning, but hopefully the afternoon will be better. I was all set to go to the gym this morning, and then thought about sleeping in since I was on the phone with hubby until almost 11:00 last night, but I did manage to get up and go and did some cardio and some weights. I am glad I went, but it didn't help with my stress this morning, but after talking with the social worker at rehab and talking with my hubby and found out that he was able to get through his therapy session this morning, I am feeling a bit better. It has been a crazy ride that is for sure!!
    Tomorrow I will be heading to see hubs and spent some time with him. I would like to be there when they come for therapy, but not sure I can get myself up and around that early- that and I have to take my recycling to the recycling center and can't do that until 8:00. It will take me an hour and a half to 45 minutes to get to where hubby is, but being that it is early Saturday, traffic should be light so hopefully I can make good time.

I hope everyone else is well. Wish I had time to comment on everyone. Have a good one! :kissing_heart:
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Happy Halloween cool kids.

It was so surreal driving into work and seeing the work-bound business people walking the streets made up as zombies, clowns, vampires, etc. I'm wearing an orange shirt and that's as dressed up as I'm getting. There are a couple people in the office today with gory outfits dripping blood and guts. Yuck. Mostly I've seen lots of superhero co-workers. In past years our office really got into it and had division decorating contests, with each division picking a theme (looney toons, crayons, 70's stuff, harry potter, etc.) and I was responsible for posting all of the pics on our Intranet site, but we had to stop that last year and this year. Just too busy with actual work! So some staff are just doing their own thing.

Yesterday we had a retirement party for one of our retiring managers. There were actually some healthy food choices along with the usual not-so-healthy. A like-minded friend and I munched on a bunch of sugar snap peas and cherry tomatoes during most of the party and then we had a small glass of punch and a mini cupcake. Not too bad.

I didn't get the memo, but my section of the office is having an all day potluck today. They realized this morning that they forgot to invite me (I don't sit near them and sometimes they forget about me...how sad is that?!) and they were all apologetic and insisted I eat with them. They served breakfast a couple hours ago and I had a couple mini spinach quiches, a deviled egg, and some kind of evil (good) sweet biscuit thing. Don't know what's in store for the lunch half of the potluck, but I'll check it out.

Larro, that large shower of yours sounds great. My dad already had a large shower, and the size isn't changing. They've just reconstructed the whole thing so he doesn't have to step down into it, and are adding safety features like hand rails. They finished installing the tile yesterday. It's looking really nice. They think they will be done by next Wednesday. Woo hoo!

Curious, the rain is catching up with us now, but we're just drizzly at the moment. The heavier stuff is supposed to arrive later this afternoon. We sure need it.

Back to work. Y'all have a wonderful day, and be safe if you are partying tonight!

desismileys_0042.gif
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good afternoon Cool Kids.

mygnsac, I had a Halloween party at work last weekend. There was about 50 people and they had all done a pretty good job with their costumes. It was mostly young folks, and the ladies were in sexy costumes more than anything else.

Curious, yes the trees are planted in rows. They were planted on 1-1-2000. I have pictures of the house construction from 12 years ago, and they were all about knee high. The land was in row crops and we were able to get it in a conservation program. We got cost sharing for the cost of the trees and the planting, and got paid $1048.00 a year for 15 years. {the money has always gone to Mamma since the land was in her name when we got on the program} It just came off the program this {or last} month, and I'm able to sell the pinestraw for the 1st time.

Kate, congrats on being in the 160's. Go easy on that shoulder. When I first started lifting I had a little shoulder problem. I just worked around it, lifting light enough it didn't hurt until it had healed.

sdereski, glad you got in two days of runs. Have fun with the trick or treaters.

Caramel, you rock girl. I get tired just reading about your workouts.

Alf, welcome back. You sure look great on that beach.

KellySue, glad your DH got through his PT. When Mamma was in rehab the lady in her room refused to do hers about half the time. She would just tell them, "no, I'm not doing it. You can't make me." But she had had a stroke and it had effected her behavior. That is what her husband said anyway.

Beeps, I have to agree. I always say do what ever blows your skirt up {as long as it doesn't effect me}. But I heard that he didn't always ask if the woman wanted to be hit before hitting her, and he didn't always use a "safe" word. But Q isn't the same without him.

Hello to everyone else, and welcome to the newbies.

Now for the Larro Ranchero news:

I lived through the 1st half of the FSU game last night, but it was a close thing. With 2 minutes to go in the half, we trailed 21-0. From that point on we out scored the Cardinals 42-10. We have not looked good, but we still haven't lost. The rest of the games should be pretty easy wins, so unless we screw up, we will be in the four team playoff. And the best news is that hoops season starts this weekend. It's just an exhibition game, but I am by far a bigger hoops fan than football. We are not as good in basketball as football and baseball, but I still follow the team.

I spent an hour and a half helping getting Mamma's plants inside. The forecast is for lows of 36F Saturday and Sunday nights, so it had to be done. I also planted a couple of blueberry bushes while I was over there. Now I'm going out to start clearing up posts and stakes from the garden so I can till up a spot to plant greens.

Then I will be grilling hot sausage for supper. I'll be glad to get back to work so I can rest.

Hope everyone has a scary night. Don't eat too much candy.

Larro
  • Kate7294
    Options
    Hey Kid's!
    Realized today I can't do push ups. My son said "You can't even do a sissy one". That's just sad. Seriously going to have to work on strengthening this body.
    Cold and rainy here today. Not much else going on.
    I'll check back later.
  • debbiesue1972
    Options
    First week of a commitment to get back the healthy and fit body I had back in the day. I am 42 years old and a Type II diabetic. My goal is to lose the belly fat and completely reverse my diabetes. I am currently working out 4-6 days per week and eating a clean, non processed, vegetarian diet. I have been vegetarian for 24 years but ate the processed junk and not the good stuff. Love the way I feel and ready to get the healthy and athletic me back.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids...

Welcome DebbieSue...I was on Glyset for about a year and with the weight loss I no longer takes diabetes meds. You can do anything you set your mind to. I was vegetarian for 7 years before I went to RAW and veganism. I love our group because we cheer each other on and check on each other.

Kate..I can relate about strength. My upper body is still kinda weak. Do modified push-ups on your knees until you can execute on your toes. It takes time and does get better. I do them on my toes now every week in extreme fit and during my PT. I am rooting for you. You are doing great with your weight.

Larro...how's mom doing? When I read your posts I am exhausted. I often wonder do you find time to sleep? If only the walls could talk when you watch the games...

KellySue..hope you had a chance to rest and your DH is recovering.

Beeps---Did you lift this weekend? I am sure you were busy as usual.

Sdereski..Hope you and your GD had a great weekend.

Alf...Don't forget we need updates on how you are doing.

MrB...Hope you are recovering more and more

It's a new month with many of us going back an hour and the holidays are almost upon us. Last year I did a 10 week holiday challenge at work and with the gym to lose weight and I lost 10lbs. I am eagerly waiting for the announcements so I can sign up this year also. My gym features a 90 minute bootcamp class on Thanksgiving each year and I am there each year with bells on. This week I train 4 days in a row. I am focused and ready for the challenge. I bore easily and my PT knows it. The more crazy my training is, the more I like it.

Have a great night.

• Kate7294
    Options
    Hey Kid's!
    13 pounds till goal! My husband told me yesterday he is going to have to get used to me being thinner. Said it feels like cheating after more than 15 years with the heavier me. LMAO! ( He doesn't care for really skinny women. Always says he's going to buy them a cheeseburger ). Wore my size 8 jeans yesterday and they weren't too tight even when I wore my tights underneath. It was only 44 yesterday. Someone stole my water bottle from the locker room yesterday; so now I'll have to buy a lock and a new one. Good thing I don't keep any money in there.
    Having some computer issues so may not be able to check in as often. Surprised it's letting me now.
    Carmel- Send me some of your energy. I think we can bottle it and sell it! LOL
    DebbieSue- Good luck with getting your diabetes under control. While I'm not vegan I've managed to beat the pre-diabetes I had in 2009.
    Anyway Hello everyone else! Hello newbies!
    I'll try to check in again soon.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning all! Hope everyone had a good weekend! I visited with my hubby on Saturday. When I talked with him last night he said that he was feeling pretty good and was bored! Hoping that we have finally turned the corner and he will be able to really start hitting therapy hard so that he can come home! Our goal is to have him home by Thanksgiving. Sunday I just did some packing. Still waiting for the utilities to get turned on so we can do our home inspection to make sure everything is in decent shape.

DebbieSue- Welcome. I also have type II diabetes. When I started with the weight loss-seriously- two years ago, I was on three different medications for my diabetes and I am now down to one that has been cut down to just half a pill twice per day. I hoping eventually to get off from it completely- last A1c was 5.7 I think. It can be done!! Good luck and we will all be around to support you.
    -
    Caramel- thanks for the good thoughts as always. I didn't get tons of rest, but got lots done.

Made it to the gym this morning. On Mondays I do this workout that I think is circuit type stuff- (run 1 lap, do 10 squats, run 1 lap, do 10 push-ups, run 1 lap, do 10 sit-ups- repeat 3 times), then lunges, dips, planks, more sit-ups, leg pulls and some v-sit twists. Great workout, but some days it is harder than others!! Anyhow- Most of it I do on the indoor track and I am usually by myself so not too many spectators. Not the case today!! I had a couple other gentlemen up there who probably thought I was crazy.

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    CRAP!! I just lost my post! :s I'll have to write later...gotta get to work!
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Made it through Halloween (which is also DHs birthday) down half a pound. Just keep plugging...
    Congrats on your diabetes progress Kelly Sue. That is quite an accomplishment.
    Happy frigid Monday - it was 33 at 6:30a. Brought my lunch and got through a ton of laundry and work so the week can go easier than the last weeks. Hoping to make it to swim a couple days this week.
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Don't really know anybody in here so not sure if I'm cool but I am 40 so... here I go haha.

Friday, took the kids Trick or Treating. Was amazed at how many people could push a stroller while smoking. Pretty impressive... lol

Ran 3 miles Saturday felt achy. Woke up Sunday decided to run 3 more. Felt great. No idea why it was different. Down 11 pounds overall since my MFP do-over. 25 more to go.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

Hello everyone. Welcome to all the new guys. We take all comers here. {Hell, they took me}

I got my cardio and lifting in this morning. Only had one phone interruption. The dad of the kid who is doing the community service owns a nursery and he is giving us plants which his kid is planting. He called to let me know he wouldn't be bring the plants tonight like we had planned. But that worked out for me anyway. The Civic Center {where I work} is a polling place for tomorrow's election, and I 'volunteered' to set up the tables and chairs for Margie. I will move Taekwondo to the smaller room and get started on that as soon as I get to work. That way Margie's staff won't have to wait around to bring out the equipment.

We had frost the last two mornings. {31F and 30F} It toasted the flowers and pepper plants. I had one of the last peppers in my salad last night.

In case any of you were wondering about the extent of my craziness, I got up, did my cardio, ate breakfast, showered, shaved and went to work Saturday morning. The only problem was my event was on Sunday. I worked a couple of hours to cover my gas, but I could have slept in. Then on Sunday I forgot about the time change, and almost got out the door before Margie said something about it. She saved me from getting to work an hour early.

Everyone have a good day,

Larro
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Cool Kids,
    That was a pretty fun weekend, though a bit indulgent. It was the opening weekend of crab season -- we have dungeness here -- so B & I loaded traps on our kayaks and headed to sea! Ended up with 4 crabs for our trouble, and they became crab enchiladas (indulgence #1). My tenant / housemate asked to invite a friend to enjoy our bounty, and he brought good beer (indulgence #2). Other than that (which was kinda huge on the caloric scale), it was a nice weekend. We did lose a chick though :'( . I suspect the calico that came scurrying out of the yard when we pulled in the driveway.

BTW, that was B's first time back in a boat since his accident. He may be able to return to work p/t next week.

KS, great news about your hubby getting through PT. It's hard, but it will get him home! Your training circuit sounds like a really good workout! Hope your new house passes muster (where does that saying come from, anyway?)

Mygnsac, Using peas to handle the party was super smart! It's nice there were healthy options.

Larro - pinestraw! that's the stuff you see in rolls for erosion control and whatnot, yes? Funny to hear about frost in FL. We've had none here yet. Funny story about your mixed up schedule :)

Kate, push ups are very hard! Even the "sissy" ones. You can try doing them against a wall, then a table, and work your way up to it. Congrats on being so close to goal!

Debbiesue, welcome. As you can see, you've got a cheering section here. You can beat this.

Caramel, the holiday challenge sounds great. It really helps to have the motivation of a deadline, and winning!

Nickpnh, good job getting organized for the week! You can now focus on what makes you happy & Healthy! Sounds chilly where you are!

Baltar, congrats on your 11 lbs! That's cool, and I suspect you are too! Strollers and smoking - ugh!

I'm stalled on weight loss, but as the earlier part of this post suggests, I totally know why. Digging in this week. I need a scale victory.

Cheers everyone!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good morning cool kids,

Let me try this again....Never did have time to get back here yesterday. After work, my plan was to run, however I forgot my sports bra...so I went for a nice long walk. Did about 4.5 miles, at a pretty good pace. It was such a lovely evening....not a bit of wind, and rather mild temps. Once I got home, I didn't stop. Cleaned the B&B rooms, did the laundry and got everything ready for the new guest arriving tonight.

Started following my reset diet I followed last year. At that time, I lost 11lbs. Am hoping for similar results. It is basically clean eating, but for this lazy slug, it provides you with a menu plan for 3 weeks and the recipes. :) Today is day 2.

Halloween was fun, my granddaughter was SO excited. She told me she "practiced". Apparently, she practiced well because she came home with a bag full of lute! When I picked her up for dance the next day, she was still excited...but told me "I even slept." I noticed that even though she had a bag full of candy, she wasn't eating any, she was just thrilled to have it. :D

Halloween night a group of us did a haunted trail walk that was very well done! We were all impressed, even though we had the bejesus scared out of us. We also had a good laugh.

Curious - sounds like you are living my dream life. :) I also love all the different food combinations you put together - it all sounds delish.

KS - so glad to hear your husband is making it through his PT. Am sure it is difficult, but in the end, hopefully he will be pain free. Congrats on the new house as well! You do have your work cut out for yourself now - packing, unpacking!

Carmel - i agree with Curious, wish we could bottle your energy.

Larro - it sounds like you are creature of habit. Either that, or you love work! :laugh:

I am going to try this picture thing. I didn't take any pics of the beautiful mermaid, but my son sent me a picture of a beautiful little princess. <3

ueaoxf12p3dn.jpg