40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Hope all had a good day. I got my shopping for the week in. Found some nice shirts today. {surprise surprise} I need Doctor Who to turn my closet into a tardis. {bigger on the inside than on the outside}

Once again I am stacking low calorie days trying to overcome a high calorie weekend. My job isn't conducive to good healthy eating.

I'm suffering through a bad game by the Giants tonight. It looks like Buster and boys will have to find some Game 7 magic if they want another championship.

Here is a picture of Sister and BIL's young peacocks. Royal looked like the young male, {the blue one} just with the big tail.

Larro

10703988_10202540753787308_7071448561069407757_n.jpg?oh=4fcc94c3666208d2afc9f6f358072024&oe=54E85A5E
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hello cool kids, Back from my weekend away and having company for a couple of days afterward. The weather for the run was perfect. I walked / ran the 5.7 mile course with my bff. We talked the entire way. :smile:

Hiked on Monday -one of our favourite hikes. we did it in 65 minutes, which is awesome. It is quite a climb and usually takes us at least 75 minutes, so we did well.

Dark and wet all day yesterday. It poured rain all day. :disappointed: Today is drier, but still dark and overcast. The gales have started and the lake has been rather "noisy" these past two days. :smile:

Have a guest coming next week to photograph the gales, so keeping my fingers crossed for high winds when he does arrive. The gales are really something at times. I love all the lakes emotions, but one of my favs is when it is "roaring". will try and post pictures. How do you post pics now? Same way?

Love the pictures all! I must say Kate, you look wonderful. :smile:
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good morning Cool Kids!

Bruce took a phone video of the chicks yesterday, but I can't seem to upload it here. Maybe just stills work.

The radar shows a big green & yellow blob of weather heading our way, but I rode to work without getting wet, which is a nice start. Riding in the early hours means I get to see owls! Beautiful barn owls floating by like little pale ghosts in the dark.

Kate, those pictures are priceless! Wouldn't it be nice if restaurants posted the nutritional info?!? I've been only to one that does. Cracking up about the bloomers! But isn't that the "in" look? Pants below your but with your undies showing? (Or maybe that's just the boys.) B) Maybe you're just super cool!

Baltar, welcome. I hope you get your nerve issue resolved. Custom insoles maybe? It's frustrating when you're hobbled. The protective father motivation should help!

Beeps, way to keep your priorities straight! And thanks for the movie tip! I go so seldom that I don't see previews, so don't have a clue what's good to see.

MrByte, how did you get hurt? Total bummer. I absolutely know what that's like. It's been one of those years. :\ Hey! Happy milestone b-day!

Larro, those birds are beautiful! Being a 5th generation San Franciscan, you can bet I'll be glued to the radio tonight. So exciting! A tardis! That's totally what I need too!

Sdereski, I really love your description of the lake and the gales. It sounds captivating. I bet you can just sit and watch the lake all day -- presuming you can watch it from a warm dry place! Congrats on the run! It sounds like you had a great time sharing it with your bff.

My office is having a Halloween potluck on Friday. I think I'll make quinoa with roasted butternut and pomegranite seeds. I should follow Larro's lead and bank a few low cal days in preparation!

Hello to all the rest of you as you check in today. Have a great day everybody!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Greetings Kids...Hope you are well and in good spirits.

MrByte--I wish you a speedy recovery. I am sure your healthy lifestyle is indicative of you aging rather well. I totally agree, there are no excuses for not working out especially if you are healthy and injury free.

Larro--You know how to make me smile. The peacocks are soooo beautiful. You and your beloved hound....PRICELESS.

CG--Everyone I told the story to could not stop laughing. I am glad VS was running a sale that I took full advantage of. The things a girl goes through when she loses weight. CG you are full of surprises. You ride a bike, you hunt, anything else you want to share with us? (hmmmm) my inquiring mind would like to know.

Beeps--Lift heavy today. How was the movie?

Kate-- OMG the pictures are priceless. Everyone looks so happy in the photo. You look terrific. I also dislike when nutritional facts are not listed. It is hard to figure out what you had and guestimating tends to work more in our favor to give us an excuse to eat MORE...lol

KellySue--Hope you are well. How's hubby?

One minute we have a ton of newbies and then they leave. Oh well what can you do.

I have a double hit tonight. I have my training session and then extreme fit. I saw this ad for coolsculpting. I have been investigating it and watched a few videos and did some research on it. It is less evasive than traditional plastic surgery, however, the results are not drastically visible. The cost is way less. In the meantime I will enjoy my NSV's (non-scale victories), new clothes and sneaker shopping until my consultations and my final decision is made.

Hello to everyone else.

Have a great day.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    Movie was great! Go see it.

No lifting for me, today....i had an early morning meeting.

Think i will just curl up and finish my book club book.

:)
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    curious and caramel, I started having shoulder issues years ago when I was throwing strollers around on a vacation. Also, lifting things into a pickup from the side into the bed is very hard on the rotators. Don't do that if you can avoid it. Put the gate down.

I hurt my meniscus on a strenous bike ride that I probably shouldn't have done. I was excited to be in Tahoe with my bike and I rode that day fairly hard and I'm not a regular biker and it caught up to me. I didn't know I did damage until I tried to squat. Those are my current issues I'm trying to heal up. I also have several damaged discs but they are currently not flared and not bothering me. Those can take me out for several months to as long as 10 months(the longest in recent decade) at a time when in acute flare up. Surgical candidate but trying to avoid anything invasive like that until I'm crawling in pain.

The rotater has just gotten worse with activity so I'm resting it best i can right now. Knees doing better. I hope to be back in the gym within 3 weeks. Then I'll take it easy for a few months in there and not stress the injuries to much.

Hope all cookkids doing well!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi all.

I packed some breakfast to bring to work today, and then proceeded to leave it on the kitchen counter at home. I decided I'd just wait until lunch to eat, and was about ready to gnaw off my arm. I get too hungry when I skip breakfast (back in the day I never ate breakfast, but my body yells at me now if I skip it).

We went to La Bou's to pick up some lunch today and I'm having a bowl of their yummy kale, potato and italian sausage soup. I'm also having a half sandwich on walnut wheat bread with turkey, cucumber, avocado, mixed greens, and roasted red bell pepper. About 1000 mg sodium (ugh) and 600 calories, which is ok since I skipped breakfast. What I should be doing is going for a walk! Definitely bringing my meals tomorrow.

Looks like we may get some much needed rain on Friday. It's only supposed to be about 1/4 inch, but our weather people are all excited. We've been in a pretty bad drought and it doesn't take much rainfall to excite them. We'll probably have a bunch of soggy trick-or-treaters.

Larro, those peacocks are beautiful!

Better close now and finish inhaling this lunch. Happy Wednesday everyone!
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Hello boys and girls.

I was too busy today to post earlier. I did my usual cardio, plus laundry and was able to squeeze in an hour in the shooting house. Which is indeed a blind, made from scrap tin and lumber. I didn't see anything, but it was nice to sit and enjoy the quiet.

Congrats to Buster and the Giants. This was one of the best games I've watched in a long time. I heard someone say it had been 34 years since the road team had won a game seven.

Hope everyone had a good day today, and will have a good one tomorrow. I'm off again until Saturday. Maybe I can get more done than I did last week.

Larro

This is the shooting house. It's a few hundred yards behind the house in the longleaf pines.

1924832_835436856501439_8797309255365910491_n.jpg?oh=ca0fdea18a055fb78a69b732bcd857e1&oe=54ABF805

16403_835437163168075_2841516032457172623_n.jpg?oh=849a5ca3188b58692691890b91a1e1bc&oe=54E4096F
  • caramelgyrlk
    Options
    Morning Kids, hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

Welcome all newbies. Hope you stick around.

MrByte--What are you doing to keep yourself sane? I understand about surgery as being the last resort. Please take care of yourself and do not over do it.

Larro--the shooting house reminds me of an outhouse. You take very nice pictures.

What's happening to our group? There are days you have pages of stuff to read and as of late, it's been sooooooooooooo quiet.

I trained with my PT yesterday and it was very weight focused with little cardio. After that I went right into the studio to do extreme fit. It is no secret I like hard rock and the trainer likes bubblegum music. I asked him to play my music so I could get in my focus zone. Needless to say I got through both circuits 3 times thanks to Metallica, Disturbed, Godsmack, Five Finger Death Punch, Powerman 4500, and Mudvayne. There is something about electric guitars that adds fuel to my fire when I am at the gym. I was wired when I left class and was ready to work out more. I walked for about 30 minutes and at that point I had to stop because it was getting late. I will knock off today to rest up for tomorrow's activities with my PT.

Have a great day everyone.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hey Kid's!
    I lucked into a babysitter yesterday *** Thanks Mom. Managed to go to the gym alone. Whoop! Did my machine squats ( only 5 sets of 5 this time), rotary, precor inner, precor outer, glute extensions, bent arm lateral, atlantis knee raises, lat. pull downs, machine presses ( my shoulder started bothering me again :( ), and 37 minutes on the elliptical.
    I always seem to be having these shoulder issues. I guess I'll never be able to lift heavy. Though my sister whose in nursing school ( 5'2" size between a 0-4) checked my blood pressure the other day and said I had more muscle tone than she does. :smiley:
    Ended having to carry a sleeping Josie ( 40 lbs. ) through Kroger yesterday to pick up a prescription. Glutton for punishment I also got some apples, and frozen carrots. Ended up having to go thru a second line just for the apples. Though last night's pot roast was delish. Of course by the time I got home tantrums came in full swing.
    This morning Jonas ( our Junior in high school ) couldn't find his collared shirt for his trip to Radford University. I ended up sending him in a plain tee with one of my husband's 2x ones folded up in his bag. LOL deserves him right if they make him wear it.

Sdereski, Carmel, Curious, Beeps- Thanks for the compliments. At 15 lbs. to goal I think things are finally slowing down a little. Though I weigh less than I have in over 15 yrs. So I'm pretty happy.
    Larro- Love peacocks though have heard they are just fancy chickens. LOL
    Carmel- Hoping for a mp3 player for Christmas here for gym use.
    MrByte- Take care of yourself.
    Hello Newbies!
    Caarmel- This long one was for you. LOL
  • sdereski
    Options
    Good Morning Cool kids,
    Not too much to report. I did get a run in yesterday, right after work. The sun had come out and although it was cool, it was nice weather to run in.
    Didn't do too much once I got home. Sat down to watch the baseball game and fell asleep for while. I rarely nap, but boy, did that feel good. Woke up in time to watch the Royals tie the game and the Giants win it in the end. There was a moment when I thought KC would tie it up again, but it was fleeting. Good game after the previous night's blow out. I was hoping for KC though. :disappointed:

Well, for the Canadians on here that are CBC fans.....the Jian story just keeps getting better. That man has fallen so far off his star, I don't think he will ever get back up. Too bad, because I really enjoyed him on "Q". Now, what people do in the privacy of their bedrooms is really their own business, however, I do have a problem when people enjoy pain, or inflicting pain on others. There is just something really strange about that - makes me wonder what the heck happened to them that they enjoy this.

Carmel-you continue to kick some serious butt, daily! Awesome!
    Larro - love the peacocks. So beautiful!
    Curious - your bike ride to work sounds so peaceful. What a beautiful way to start the day.
    mrbyte - those are some serious injuries you have. Take the time to heal, otherwise, it will be a lifetime of struggle.
    mygnsac - that lunch sounds absolutely delicious and well worth the 600 calories!

Another clear, frosty morning in Northern Ontario. Almost time to get my tires changed.

Have a good day all. :flowerforyou:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Back at work after my "ahem" vacation. Spent most of it either visiting or talking to my hubby on the phone. He finally went to rehab last Friday, but has been a bit resistant to PT due to his pain level. I think he is slowly starting to come around though. Not sure how long he will be there. He has a follow up appointment for his hospital stay on November 19th and the rehab staff are planning that he will be going from there= Yikes!
    For those who don't know- I also bought a house! It needs a bit of work before we can move in, but it will be great once that is done. I have awesome family and friends who have already volunteered time and skills to get the work done! I am starting to pack now to clear some of the 17-18years of stuff from my house so I can get that sold as well.
    Needless to say, I am feeling a bit crazy and overwhelmed at the moment- :anguished: Hoping it will all come together.
    I did try to keep up with my exercise and have been able to keep my weight stable overall, but the food business has been tough. Lots of grab and go kinds of things. :disappointed: Now that I am back at work it should be a bit more routine though.
    I hope that everyone is doing well. Too many posts for me to read today, but I will try to sift through at some point.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Morning cool kids.

I woke up this morning thinking it was Friday. What a bummer. I am ready for the weekend!

I'm doing good this morning. Remembered to bring both my breakfast and my lunch to work, so no guesswork on what to eat today, and I should be able to take a nice long walk at lunchtime today. It's getting really cloudy out there, but they say the rain won't start until tomorrow, just in time to soak the little trick-or-treaters.

My house is such a mess right now. We are having the master bath remodeled and there is construction paraphernalia all over the place. We are in week 3 of this project, with 1-2 more weeks to go. I will sure be glad when it's done. It's my Dad's bathroom, and I've been pushing him to have it redone for years now. He's getting up in his years and he needed a shower that was easier to get in and out of. It's going to look really nice when it's done.

Seems like not many of my fellow newbies stuck around. That's too bad.

Time to get back to work. Have a nice day everyone! :)

• fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hey cool kids,

have not seen this thread before. Hope it is ok to jump in as a newbie.

I also wish it was Friday, but it will come soon enough. This week has been about working the nutrition and trying to get over my first cold since the last cold and flu season. I have been pleasantly surprised at my lack of cravings for my old comfort foods.

have a great Thursday!
  • larrodarro
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good afternoon kids.

fit4life, welcome.

mygnsac, you guys will love the bigger shower. About five years ago we added on to the house, and Margie's brother was in a wheelchair and living in a nursing home. We made the addition handicapped accessible on the off chance he would come to live with us. He has since died, but we love the roomy shower. I remember when we first moved into the house 11 or 12 years ago. I had never had a shower with a door. One day I dropped the soap and when I bent down to pick it up, my butt hit the door and knocked it open. Cold air.

KellySue, congrats on the new house. I hope the rehab will be able to help your husband so he can get back home.

sdereski, most nights I work until 2100, so Q is on the local NPR station for my drive home. I have always enjoyed the show. It was shocking to hear just what a perv the host was.

Kate, glad you got some solo time at the gym.

Caramel, I used to listen to music when working out. These days I record sports talk and watch it {plus The Daily Show from the night before} while I'm doing my workout. All the FSU hate on ESPN fuels me.

I slept in and it took forever for me to finish my cardio and lifting. I didn't eat breakfast/lunch until 1300. But I did increase my weight {with intro reps} for the approaching month, and got through it pretty well. I have tonight and tomorrow night off, and I picked up a rotisserie chicken yesterday, so all I have to figure out for supper is what sides to go with it. FSU is playing a rare Thursday night football game tonight, and we have lost more of them than we have won through the years. I hope we get a big lead so my heart can have an easy time with it.

Last night's game was one of the best I've ever seen. I thought the Giants had blown it when the Royals got to third base on that line drive to center field in the 9th. Both Buster Posey and Bruce Bochy played for FSU, so I was pulling for them. But lots of respect for what the Royals did. Bumgarner's pitching in the whole series was for the ages.

Today is Thursday, so here are my numbers for the week:

22.2% Body Fat
    56.6% Body Water
    24.7 BMI
    176.6 Pounds

Like most weeks when I have a lot of good eating customers on the weekend, I gained a couple of pounds by Monday, then spent the rest of the week getting back down to my goal weight. I really need to get my will power in line when confronted with southern and soul food.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Larro
  • olystacy
    olystacy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would love to join! I am a 44 year old female who loves racquetball, zumba, hiking and walking. I love cardio and hate weights but know I need to do some strength training. I am about 10 lbs from being where I would like to be but overall have come to peace that my body will never be perfect. It has birthed 3 babies, helps me kick *kitten* in my job, and allows me to enjoy life with my kids as an active and fun mom.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    I loved Jian G on Q!

I miss him, already.

Allegedly, he beats women. Totally uncool.

As a lawyer, though, I am reserving judgment....and this could be a cool court case if it doesn't settle - I highly expect it will settle.

Q isn't the same without him!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I'm baaaaaaaack!!!!!! How is everyone??? This month has been "bad" for me as far as nutrition and fitness. Everything was ok until I went to PR. All hell broke loose there and ate poorly, etc etc etc. Then of course come back and continue with the abuse. Not good at all!!!! I am determined to redeem myself next month, my birthmonth. Why not?? I need to!!!! My hips? Well, they really didnt find anything major. I have been doing physical therapy. I continue to be in pain, not as bad though. But then again I havent exercised as much other than teaching my Zumba class twice a week.

This site is looking really strange. I really think I have a bug in my computer. It is acting really strange lately.
  • sdereski
    Options
    Happy Halloween!
    Got another run in yesterday. 2 days in a row...woot! woot!
    Yes, Beeps, I miss Jian's voice on Q as well. Just like I miss Peter Gzowski's voice. Not sure if it will ever be the same, however, as you said, it will be a very interesting case to follow.

Welcome back Alf! Sorry to hear you are still in pain. I hate to say "chalk it up to aging", because, darn it, we should not hurt!!!

Welcome oly!

Larro - you have to be the most consistent individual on here. You do well, despite enjoying that southern comfort food. :smile:

Am heading to my son's to hand out treats tonight. They are taking my granddaughter out for the first time. She is going to be "a beautiful mermaid". She is so darn cute, and excited about her first halloween out trick or treating! She is also excited about her new baby that is coming. She already kisses mommy's belly and talks to it. :heart: Initially, she said she wanted a baby sister, now she told me it didn't matter, she would welcome a baby brother as well. lol. Good thing!
    Enjoy the day!
  • caramelgyrlk
    Options
    Happy Friday Kids....You know how WIRED I am when I work out first thing in the morning. I ran in a tank top @ 47 degrees this morning and it was breath taking to say the least as my PT cheered me on. My burn was not high today due to more weight lifting, however, she knew how to push my buttons by doing a TABATA series the last 15 minutes of training. I often take for granted how far I have come not only mentally but physically. It was rewarding to get several high fives this morning and more confirmation that my hard work is indeed paying off. Thank you all for being on this journey with me. I appreciate it. Take time to reflect on your journey to appreciate where you are and recognize you are a different person today than you were yesterday. Hugs---KYM (This was my post from this morning on my feed and decided to post it here also)

Alf--We missed you and hope you get some relief soon.

Sdereski--Glad you got your run in.

KellySue--Despite all of your trials, you have managed to hold on and that is commendable to say the least.

Larro--Glad you enjoyed the game. Never thought about listening to anything besides music when I am training. Hmmm food for thought.

Kate--You are too kind.... :blush: I hope you get the best MP3 player there is. I love your outlook on things.

Mr Byte---I can tell you are very focused and eager to get back into what you love. One day at a time and before you know it, you will back full circle.

Beeps--What's on the docket for today?

Welcome newbies.

I have so much energy now I can hardly stand it.

Have a great weekend everyone----KYM