40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    ruralife wrote: »
    When I first got progressives I had to take Gravol for the nausea I felt for two days. I stuck it out and just didn't take off the glasses. Now, I don't notice any of the issues that at first were annoying.

What kinds of proteins do people choose throughout the day, and what size serving? Please don't say eggs, because that's not the answer for me, and I'd rather save the fats in cheese for recipes I love.

I didn't have a problem getting used to my glasses, it is just that to read with them I have to hold the book about 14 inches away. With a book that is possible, but 99% of the time I'm reading off my laptop. So the glasses go on top if my head.

I use a lot of plain Greek yogurt mixed with seeds and nuts for protein at breakfast. But chicken and turkey also play a big part with me for the other meals. Feel free to look at my diary to get an idea of how it works out for me. Or if you like pictures, check out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1216261/whats-for-supper#latest

&

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1251741/whats-for-breakfast#latest

Larro
  • larrodarro
    Options
    I forgot today was the first day of early voting here, so Margie will have 10-12 hour days right on through to election day. I kept calling home and she wasn't in from work yet. After the third time I tried, it dawned on me why she wasn't home. She was still at work. {I'm a big dummy}
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    I am off to the gym to lift!

Welcome to all the new cool kids....and have a great day everybody!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    sorry to be MIA, but was away for work (2 back to back conferences) and at the end of each day, my brain was totally fried. Information overload! They were both good, and it was nice to be away, but it was also great to be home.

I quickly read through some of the posts and looked at Larro's pictures. Love them!
    Carmel - sorry to hear of your coworkers heart attack. I certainly hope she is recovering well. Scary stuff!
    -
    Red - quite an ordeal you have been through. Glad to hear things are healing nicely and you are getting back to your "old self".

Kelly - sorry to hear about your husband's ordeal. As someone mentioned, don't forget to take care of you!

Curious - your life sounds wonderful! A perfect Californian lifestyle...IMO. :)

Beeps - love that you are still giving 'er at the gym! You go girl!

Welcome to all the newbies! It really is a great thread. Lots of interesting info and great support!

The food at the conferences was fabulous, so I really had to control myself. What I did was skip out on supper and usually went for a great long walk. I only ran once while I was away, but I walked every day. I knew they were good walks because my feet were sore by the end of the walks.

Am really feeling awful. My weight continues to climb and I have little energy to get my workouts in. Having said that, I did get my strength training in yesterday. It was a good workout, but it was tough. I was determined to get it done.
    Have been trying to do the not eating until noon thing since I've been home. Hoping that will get rid of some of last week's bloat.

Sorry if I missed anyone. I will try to keep in touch a bit better.
    Have a great day all! :flower:

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning kids....Hope all of you are well today.

Despite the bad news yesterday, I had a chance to call the hospital to speak with my CW and she was annoying as usual and she told me she will appoint someone to shake my chair until she returns (lol). I remember how stupid I used to feel after going to the ER scared I was having a heart attack and to find out it was gas. In her case she thought she had gas and kept putting it off and hers was really a heart attack.

My feet feel great since I have been working out in Mizuno's. Bye bye Nike. Extreme fit was more cardio last night and she added a TABATA circuit which really had me winded. She said she had to do something to slow me down. Well it worked. I was drenched and able to release that bad energy.

I was reading the post and see so many newbies.

Redfisher--Welcome aboard. I am happy to read despite your adversity, you are near goal. Hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you continue to recover.

Ruralife--I eat quinoa which is high in protein and low fat. Hope that helps.

Kate--Glad you made it back to the gym. I know you were elated. As Beeps would say LIFT HEAVY THINGS...which I am sure you did.

Mygnsac---Oh my chocolate avocado pudding. Hmmmmmmmm yummy.

CG---I can't wait to get a motorcycle. Kayaking is on my bucket list. Next time take me with you. How are you doing with your new glasses?

KellySue--Of course you are tired because your hubby's health and welfare is being impacted which is affecting you. I am glad Jake will be there to keep your company and you have vacation. Despite all this I am glad you are still trying to stay active and watch your intake. Hugs my friend.

KJG---been missing you. Glad you are back

Emma-Glad you are back. We missed you.

Nick--20 laps....Sweet....What's on for today?

Beeps---Lift Heavy

Larro--please dazzle our visuals with something from the ranch.

If I forgot anyone, forgive me.

Have a splendid day.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good morning All! Welcome to all the new people! WOW! we are growing in leaps and bounds lately! No work out for me today. I had Jake this morning before I went in to work. He keeps me busy! He's very active, but boy do I love him!! :heart: :heart_eyes:
    Hubs is finally ready to go to rehab so now we are just waiting to see what facilities are available. If all goes well, he could be there sometime today. :relieved: It will be closer for me to go to see him and since I will be on vacation starting tomorrow I will have lots of time to visit with him.
    I wish I had time to reply to all of you, but I always check in from work because I have a crummy computer :unamused: at home and I just don't have that much time, but I read everyone's posts and appreciate all of the well wishes and encouragement!! Thank you so much and I hope everyone has a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Well, my good intentions of eating my packed lunch yesterday fell through as I was pulled into a meeting that ate up most of the afternoon. I wound up eating my lunch for dinner. And, today I have to attend a Birthday party for one of my co-workers for lunch at Round Table...this group I work with loves Round Table. I'll have a piece of pizza and some salad, and then get back on the wagon tomorrow.

I did manage to walk about 2 miles yesterday. Will keep that up.

Thanks for all the welcomes. You seem like a nice group of people.
  • korkyrn
    korkyrn Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello,
    I would love to join this group. I'm 40 years old and just started getting back into the fitness groove about 2 weeks ago. I am down three pounds so far and my ultimate goal is to lose 50 lbs. In the past few years I have really let myself go. I just completed my BSN degree which took away any extra time that I had so now I am ready to focus on me and get back the body that I once had. Please add me as your friend if would like:) Let's do this!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sdereski --->>> "Am really feeling awful. My weight continues to climb and I have little energy to get my workouts in. Having said that, I did get my strength training in yesterday. It was a good workout, but it was tough. I was determined to get it done.
    Have been trying to do the not eating until noon thing since I've been home. Hoping that will get rid of some of last week's bloat."

It will! It will! It will!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    caramel - i don't even know what a "muzuno" is! I like my VANS for weight-training. Cheap and flat.

KellySue - i hope you enjoy your holidays....some extra time with hubby sounds nice!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got my lifting in-and-done, plus 150 minutes of walking.

That is it this week fir uber-long workout days....gotta get back to the job hunt. I will still lift every morning, though!

BOOM!
  • nanraj
    nanraj Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am newbie to the boards here. I am a 40 yr old female, looking to lose 15-20 lbs and keep it off. Hope I can join you all.

-Nan
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Good Evening Cool Kids.

I had a busy day, starting early and going late. I set the alarm so I could get my cardio in before going to town. I changed up my logging today, doing 20% more exercise than I logged. That is 6 minutes for every 5 logged. I'm not trusting my calorie burn numbers.

My '13 Camry has finally rolled over 15K so I went in to get the tires rotated. Pleasantly surprised to learn it was covered by the warranty. After that did the week's shopping. I found 2 David Gilmour CD's at the Habitat for Humanity thrift store for a buck each. I saw a nice weight bench at the Goodwill store for $35. I would have bought it if I had the room and time, but I was on the car, and I had to get to my dentist appointment anyway.

Then tonight at work I injured my shoulder. By clicking z to advance comments on Tomahawk Nation, the FSU sports blog. You know you are old and in the way when......

Larro
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hey Kid's!
    Wow I'm so sore. After a week off ( due to Josie's fever ) I went back to the gym Monday. I dropped the weights on a few of the machines I've had been doing. The machine squat I dropped to 40 lbs. but da-- must have done too many reps. I did my normal 3 reps of 10. Then 34 minutes of the elliptical.
    Yesterday just managed 45 minutes of yoga << thought the stretching might loosen things up. Did I mention I often have to carry Josie ( 40 lbs. ) up and down a flight of stairs? I know my form was okay since my back and shoulders don't hurt just the front of my upper legs. I even soaked last night.
    Anyone got one of those toilet raise thingies? LMAO

Anyway I'm going to try to push myself to go back today. Wish me luck.
    Hello Newbies! Chat with everyone later
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.
    You know the drill. Wednesday morning means laundry and dishes. I got my workout in, {shoulder is better this morning} plus recorded the Notre Dame/FSU football game to a DVD from the DVR this morning between buzzers. I will admit it was much less stressful watching it this time than it was Saturday night. Yes, I am one of those guys. I record every Nole football and basketball game on the DVR then transfer then to DVD, skipping through the adds. I don't ever seem to have time to go back and watch the old games, but just knowing I have them makes me feel better.

The cleaning lady will be here shortly, so I need to get back to it. I like to have most of my part done when she gets here.

You guys have a good day.

Larro

View from my back deck this morning:

10612771_831009920277466_6363275148314915232_n.jpg?oh=87d56e868fec59680c70dc951baaa2a5&oe=54F40AB6&__gda__=1420553230_ee49412db23d7ee82dedc8f88e56ba39
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day Cool Kids!
    The thread is getting really long, and it's great. So much determination here.
    I got to ride in again today. I'll likely get rained on for the return trip, but there is a strong (20 mph) tail wind predicted, so I'll feel really fast! :p
    A CW brought me a serving of risotto with peas & pancetta. Very sweet and thoughtful ... we have a lot of foodies here at work ... 367 calories. I may have to take the long route home! I have managed to avoide the halloween candy all week.

redfisher, that sounds like a really long and difficult recovery. I'm glad to hear you're on the road back. Keep in touch with us. We'll help!
    Beeps, how's the job hunting going? I know it can be hard, and sometimes feel invasive, so I'm glad to hear the optimism in your posts, and super glad to hear you're pushing your own workout envelope!
    Mygnsac, Sac! Makes sense. I like it there -- travel there for conferences pretty regularly. The pudding looks awesome. Sorry you were attacked by pizza!
    Kate, great news about the new clothing size! That's my next stop too. I'm still holding onto my 12's. I cracked up at your plea for a toilet seat raiser. I know that quad burn feeling. Love/hate it!
    Larro, sorry to hear about your cavity! Hope your dentist is a good one. The view from your deck is priceless. I'm with you on the mistrust in workout calories. It's a good idea to have your own formula.
    sdereski, happy homecoming. I wonder what's up with you're funk? Can you go for a run? I know it will get better after you get back to your 'normal routine' at home.
    Caramel, I think I'm going to go online and order some Mizunos right now! Maybe there will be a place I can put a plug in for your referral. Are you near a body of water? I'm connected to kayakers all over the place, and bet I can find you a paddle buddy with a spare boat! It's nice to hear your CW will recover.
    KS, whenever you post after Jake-time, you just glow! He's quite the healing force. Good news about your hubby. I hope you find a place you like.

Welcome to all the new Cool Kids!

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot! :flowerforyou:
    Thanks for the tip Myg
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, hope all of you are well.

I am on borrowed time today so I can not give individual attention at this time.

I agree our group is growing by leaps and bounds. I hope everyone enjoys their stay.

I meet with my personal trainer today and will take extreme fit afterwards. At the count of 3 everyone say BIOFREEZE. Yes I am going to need it after the torture, I mean workout...(lol).

Have a great day.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Yesterday's pizza party at Round Table was fun. It's always nice getting away from the office once in awhile and catching up with my CWs. We all work on different projects and don't often get a chance to get away together. I had a late breakfast and wasn't terribly hungry, so I just had half a piece of cheese pizza and some salad from the salad bar. It's incredible how much food some of my CW's can put away in one sitting. I'd be in misery the rest of the day if I ate that much. One of them ate 3 pieces of pizza, a huge salad, 2 garlic sticks, 10 cinnamon sticks with a cup of icing on the side, and 2 sodas...then complained the rest of the day about how full she was. notallthere.gif

I have to go to a periodontist after work today to have them evaluate a problem tooth. I've had lots of dental problems this year and I'm over it!

I was good today and brought my breakfast and lunch to work. As soon as I finish with lunch I plan to throw on my walking shoes and walk around the city for a while. I usually walk over to the nearby Capitol Park and just walk through and around the park. One trip around the park is a 1/2 mile and I usually shoot for 2 trips. There are lots of walkers, woggers and joggers out there at lunchtime anymore. I can't wog or jog, but I love to walk.

Better close and get to it. You all have a great day! flowers.gif

• ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    A big hello to everyone... glad to hear from you all and see the new people joining the thread. :)
    It has been a crazy busy week again & feel too short on time. I have been doing better about reaching my workout goals. I do not also get it done at the time of day I plan but I have been getting them in some time. It kind of drives me crazy because I used to be like clockwork that my lunch hour was my workout time and it just does not work anymore. I am trying to adjust and go with the flow as long as I commit.

I am trying to learn more about HIT workouts... anyone have any luck or experience to share? The other night I did cardio and pushed myself really hard throughout at different intervals.