40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,945 Member
    Options
    Sardines?!?!?

Yuck.

Eggs are a good idea....egg whites give great satiety for little cals.

Nice blue eyes, larro.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of new cool kids!!!!!! Welcome!

What a great day for eating healthy and exercise for me!!! I wish every day is like today!! I started by 5am doing Jillian Michael 30 day shred (I joined a challenge this month and it is an extra little workout) followed by Pull exercises weight training. Then off to work, packed my snacks, a nice salad, etc, then after work Bikram yoga. I just love the way I feel after it.

I agree with the food suggestions Curious. Although I don't like sardines. LOL I make my own Greek yogurt. It's so creamy. I add some berries, chia seeds and nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I haven't done IF in a couple of days, I struggle with it. So the past 2 mornings I've scrambled 1 cup of egg whites with veggies and have a half cup of whole grain old fashioned oats and I've been full until lunch time! Fish, chicken etc are low cal depending in how it's cooked and can pack a lot of protein and keep you satisfied. I'm going yo stick to no more than 1500 of healthy foods and see if that helps to speed up my weightloss,

Good night!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    At a bar. Second and last drink. Deadlifts before 6am. Can't wait .
  • alishaspringle
    alishaspringle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Larro, on the new family member. Where my parents have a home in Avon Park, it was in the 30s this morning. Did you drop down to freezing? (Of course they are off snowmobiling the wilds of Michigan @ -22 F so I guess the cold doesn't faze them!)

I've been maintaining weight well, but it is probably time to pare down my calories, a la Beeps et al.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Larro, on the new family member. Where my parents have a home in Avon Park, it was in the 30s this morning. Did you drop down to freezing? (Of course they are off snowmobiling the wilds of Michigan @ -22 F so I guess the cold doesn't faze them!)

We got down to 22F up here in the Panhandle last night. Today was nicer though.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    -3 here in central Maine. More snow on the way. the snow is so deep, the snowmobiles don't even want to go. I am off to a Linus Quilt project sewing day, will have to exercise later tonight.
    Larro, I had to show my husband your tree planter thing. Pretty neat. He is a tractor fanatic. He is a manages a tractor store and sells. He loves the old tractors though. It's like a drug user working at a drug store. He finds out where all the old dead ones are.
    Hope you all have a nice relaxing weekend.
    Oh, we went to the little town store (out in the country, you get gas whatever and there is usually a little grill in the store) Mike wanted to go. I was thinking there is nothing there for me, but I got a egg mcmuffin type sandwich and didn't touch his chips, soda, or pile of extra fries on his plate. I did however, have 2 bites of his burger, stayed within my calories, and even had enough for a fiber one protein bar(caramel nut, so good).
    Yea, me....
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    yesterday was -22C which I think is around -8F, today is a veritable heat wave, it's a balmy -9 which I think is 16F or so.

Off to my kettlebell seminar later today, should be good. Taking oil of oregano and vitamin c to fight of this cold, which of course chose now to make an appearance. First time getting sick this winter and it's the one weekend I have something planned! Here's hoping the cold medicine and vitamin c hold it off.
  • MBL512
    MBL512 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    sajerd wrote: »
    This is for MBL512- I think that you should not try to go all out for a hard core exercises routine, but rather start with more gentle but consistent classes. Try gentle yoga, stretching, aqua aerobics if you can find it. Or fun Zumba or similar. If you have a community Ymca or other gym, start there. If do classes rather than relying on yourself to go solo. And I would search first for the right exercise classes and see who is taking them, maybe you know people already taking those classes, or just get to know them and take the opportunity to make new friends there. Don't complicated and double up the task by trying to talk friends into going to new exercise classes with you. They will become extra weight for you to carry. Just my two cents. Good luck. I used to hare exercise and in my 20's and 30's avoided it. It's tasked a long time, but now I exercise 4-6 x week and it is so important to me and my mental health. I particularly like spin class, hot yoga and a small group class with a trainer 3x week.
    Nope, nothing hardcore. Can't handle that right now. LOL You aren't the first one to suggest not burdening myself with depending on a friend to go with me. I would agree with that after giving it some thought. I have been going solo to the gym a few times a week. I think I really just need to work on changing my thinking about what I am doing. I am focused about the calories burned, but I want to just think of it as something fun. A structured class is what I need. I go to Planet Fitness, btw.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Larro, I had to show my husband your tree planter thing. Pretty neat. He is a tractor fanatic. He is a manages a tractor store and sells. He loves the old tractors though. It's like a drug user working at a drug store. He finds out where all the old dead ones are.

What kind of tractors does he sell? I have two Kabota {17 & 23 HP} and an old Ford {40 HP} But I'm always on the lookout for more, if the price is right. I waste a lot of my time at tractorbynet. It has lots of good tractor information but I use it more for old fashioned social media. It was over there that I started my first What's For Supper??? thread. Although I will admit the one on MFP gets a lot more traffic due to the nature of this site. {It's all about food}
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sorry about duplicate post trying to learn to upload pics....
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    ueximr0q2ek6.jpg
    5ae9kcg2wpnt.jpg

Ice Fishing on Lake Eau Galle in Wisconsin! Happy Saturday Everyone. The bite was slow but we had a great time. (Thanks Larro for the tips on posting pics... I think I got it down now).

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Larro, Mike sells Kioti and Massey Ferguson's new and whatever they may have in on trade used. He loves the old Allis Chalmers, and most any older ones. We use at home though a Agco with a cab and snowblower. He has lots of old tractors and attachments and visits a tractor board of buddies that post tractor stuff.
    I had a nice day at the sewing Linus quilts project. Not very many people showed up, which was a shame, but we got 28 small quilts done. Have a nice weekend everyone.
    Love the ice fishing pictures.. burr.....
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Well I did my kettlebell seminar today. 3.5 hours of instruction and working out a bit at a time, till the end, then it was 50 squat jumps, 100 burpees with pushup then 200 ab exercises of your choice. I did 30 burpees straight then switched off with the core exercises. Did 10 burpees to 25 core. Holy exhaustion! This was after doing a 10 minute long set of swings earlier and jerks and snatches. Off to have a hot bath with Epsom salts.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    What kind of foods do you guys eat to keep the calories so low but not be starving all the time? I'm eating oatmeal, nuts, dried fruit, quinoa, homemade low cal/fat muffins or bars and then just whatever I make for the kids for dinner and I'm trying to keep to either greek yogurt or nuts for a snack in the evening.

Hey furballs ... I haven't scrolled ahead to see what others have offered, but here are my thoughts.
    The nuts & dried fruits are pretty high in calories.
    If your greek yogurt is flavored, it's going to be high in sugar.
    Try cooked beans and whole fruit. Especially apples. Very filling due to pectin and full of fiber.
    I personally avoid oatmeal, muffins & bars due to the high carbs.
    "BAS" = Big *kitten* Salad. Lots of that. And by lots, I mean LOTS. Use seasoned rice vinegar for dressing if your calorie bank account runs low, otherwise add a little olive oil & lemon juice.
    Then there's the usual carrot, celery, jicama, radish, etc. snacks. Cut them up and keep them in a snap-tight or jar with a little seasoned rice vinegar for flavor.
    Sardines.
    Hard boiled eggs.
    Water.
    53 here, get to a Target and buy Kodiak Power cakes, high protein, 30 grams carbs, best if you make them with skim milk and an egg instead of water to up the protein even more to 20 grams, and they are SO good, you will never know they are not the bad kind. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kodiak-cakes-power-cakes-100-whole-grains-flapjack-and-waffle-mix-118426861
  • 3furballs
    Options
    What do they taste like?
  • alf1163
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    Well I did my kettlebell seminar today. 3.5 hours of instruction and working out a bit at a time, till the end, then it was 50 squat jumps, 100 burpees with pushup then 200 ab exercises of your choice. I did 30 burpees straight then switched off with the core exercises. Did 10 burpees to 25 core. Holy exhaustion! This was after doing a 10 minute long set of swings earlier and jerks and snatches. Off to have a hot bath with Epsom salts.

Holy Guacamole!!!! That's awesome!!!! I've been doing a 90 day lifting program in my Oxygen magazine and next month there are a lot of kettlebell Exercises. I've never used them, I've only used Dumbbells instead but I know it's not a substitute. The gym has them but I'm not sure I want to use them in front of everyone if I don't know what I'm doing. LOL. I have another week to think about it.

• alf1163
    Options
    Ruby, cute picture!!!! Nice bright smile!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Pic of this yumminess I just cooked! gyduc80jpkjt.jpg
  • Misslubey
    Misslubey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,I have never posted before ,I am going to be 47 in May !!! I am 5' 4 and now am close to 150lbs , I can't quite believe it ,have been to scared to get on the scales for the last few months ,really want to lose 25lbs by the summer ,nothing fits me anymore ,gave up smoking 3 weeks short of a year and it's just been creeping up and up , heeeelp !
  • alf1163
    Options
    Misslubey wrote: »
    Hi,I have never posted before ,I am going to be 47 in May !!! I am 5' 4 and now am close to 150lbs , I can't quite believe it ,have been to scared to get on the scales for the last few months ,really want to lose 25lbs by the summer ,nothing fits me anymore ,gave up smoking 3 weeks short of a year and it's just been creeping up and up , heeeelp !

Welcome!! Dont despair! You can do this!!! What is your plan? Summer is around the corner. Congrats on quitting smoking!!!! I know how hard it can be!!!