40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• sajerd
    sajerd Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 48 years old. 5'4" and until three weeks ago was 180lbs. I have always been active, exercised regularly, eaten clean and healthfully, but as I've gotten older the weight just slowly creeped up. I finally went to my doctor after trying every diet strategy known with no success. She turned me on to MFP. I really am optimistic that this could be the key that helps me pull it all together. At times I would ramp up the exercise, but would probably increase eating to compensate. Or I would totally clean up the diet, but the exercise would fall off. Now I am tweaking both. I've increased exercise to six times a week, and am tracking calories as scrupulously as possible at 1250. I'm down almost 10lbs already. I hope to get to 140 eventually. Some support comment over forty crowd would be helpful. Thanks, all.
  • MBL512
    MBL512 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Any ideas or super practical suggestions for how to start up an exercise routine? I despise exercise actually. I have forced myself to exercise hard and heavy, but my only goal was weight loss. I want to learn to really love it, and to not do it only for the weight loss alone. I am wanting to drop about 5-6 more lbs, but getting more toned would be my true goal. I do have some endurance issues, so hard core cardio has always been hard for me. Thanks guys! Oh, and I am 46 yrs old.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    MBL512, I think the best option is to try something new. If you find something you enjoy you will find time and stick with it. Join a team, or fitness classes, try something new at the gym or community centre.
  • FEves
    FEves Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    MBL512 wrote: »
    Any ideas or super practical suggestions for how to start up an exercise routine?

Is there someone you can exercise with? Sometimes that helps to get going! Last night I did the UFCFit workout with my husband. It was tough but we both were laughing at different points because it was difficult and we couldn't get the moves right. It sure made the time go by fast! I also like walking with a buddy - I go faster and for a longer time. :)
  • 3furballs
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    It is pretty near impossible for a woman to put on 3 lbs of muscle in a year.....don't believe the hype!!

I know serious bodybuilding women who can't do that!!!

Sooooo, most poundage increase (in women....) is FAT. Pure and simple.

Eating back calories (from "exercise") is waaaaayyyyy too imprecise, for me. I never do that!

I aim for 1,400 cals per day, when trying to lose poundage. 1,600-1,700 has me maintaining. And i am 5'9" tall!!

I get very few calories next to my 6'3" husband. I blame testosterone....and surely wish women produced TONS more!!!

So then if I set my goal to 1400 cal and do my regular exercise, I'm likely netting 700-900 cal a day, that seems really low. I know figuring out the calorie burn from exercise isn't completely precise, but I've got a decent idea with taking my heart rate throughout and then rounding down so most days with walking and working out it's a 400-600 calorie burn. Just not sure what will work best for me. I maintained for 4 years without problems and having ice cream most nights! The 5lb gain from 135-137/140 was actually over a few years of increasing my workouts, I went from a size 8 at 135lbs to a size 4/6 at 137-140lbs so I'm pretty sure it was a muscle gain over time.

• MBL512
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    MBL512, I think the best option is to try something new. If you find something you enjoy you will find time and stick with it. Join a team, or fitness classes, try something new at the gym or community centre.

That is a good idea. The fitness class would be a commitment, even if only for a month or so. I keep going back to the same old tiring routines, and I get obsessed and hate every second of it.

• MBL512
    Options
    FEves wrote: »
    Any ideas or super practical suggestions for how to start up an exercise routine?

Is there someone you can exercise with? Sometimes that helps to get going! Last night I did the UFCFit workout with my husband. It was tough but we both were laughing at different points because it was difficult and we couldn't get the moves right. It sure made the time go by fast! I also like walking with a buddy - I go faster and for a longer time. :)
    My husband is not an option, and I simply just don't know anyone around me who can go to the same gym. I probably just need to make more of an effort to find a work out buddy. Sounds like you had a boat load of fun last night!!! Now, that would make working out fun for me, and not such a chore.
  • psbeard
    Options
    Been reading and trying to keep up! Busy Lil group here! It has been a difficult week for me. But in spite of my weaknesses...I have lost 2.8 pounds! I am praying my scales weren't tricking me when I go for weigh-in tomorrow! Tomorrow will be hectic, so many errands to run! At least I will get my walking in!
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Any ideas or super practical suggestions for how to start up an exercise routine? I despise exercise actually. I have forced myself to exercise hard and heavy, but my only goal was weight loss. I want to learn to really love it, and to not do it only for the weight loss alone. I am wanting to drop about 5-6 more lbs, but getting more toned would be my true goal. I do have some endurance issues, so hard core cardio has always been hard for me. Thanks guys! Oh, and I am 46 yrs old.

Hey MLB, I recently joined our local gym. I was very athletic in my 20s & 30s, and already familiar with proper form & technique with free weights & various gym machines, BUT I couldn't figure out where to start when I returned. I had one session with a Personal Trainer who, after some testing, set up a 4 day per week strength training schedule for me. So it's mixed up. I can do it on my own. I love it and don't get bored. I just needed someone to tell me what to do LOL :p . I'm pretty good at following orders.
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hang in there really Cold Kids!
    So many of you are in the grips of these cold, cold storms. Stay safe! Keep warm! Log your shoveling calories!
    Larro, you definitely have a future in outdoor haute design!
    Beeps & 3Furballs, if there's anything I've learned it's that there isn't a formula that works the same for any two people. I'm on the 1200 cal/day track. I know that for me, I can eat some of my exercise calories back, but only about half if I want to continue to lose. If I eat them all back, I maintain.
    I'm looking forward to seeing lots of baby pictures from y'all!
    KS, so touching about your DH & Jake. So glad they got to have time together. Hope you kick but in your contest!
    Hi Ruby! Good to hear from you.
    Hello to you other Cool Kids and welcome newbies.

Today I peddled in to work, and I have Hard CORE at lunch, then my general strenght training program (mentioned above) this eve. That will make my exercise cals close to 2000 today! I hope I can walk tomorrow. Might ride Buttercup to work instead of peddling. ;)

Have an awesome day everyone.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,966 Member
    Options

So then if I set my goal to 1400 cal and do my regular exercise, I'm likely netting 700-900 cal a day, that seems really low. I know figuring out the calorie burn from exercise isn't completely precise, but I've got a decent idea with taking my heart rate throughout and then rounding down so most days with walking and working out it's a 400-600 calorie burn. Just not sure what will work best for me.

My $0.02: It was you who said that you have "gained 10 lbs" in the last 6 months. For sure that is FAT gained. (Maybe 1 lb of muscle gained....if you are a newbie weight-lifter....maybe only 0.5 lbs of muscle gained, if you have been weight-training for some time...)

I think most people OVERestimate their calorie burn (by a TON) and UNDERestimate their calorie intake (also by a LOT).

To clearly lose the fat, you could measure and weigh your food (to have a decent idea of intake) - and I usually apply a 10% - 15% margin for "error".

And, for me, I do NOT eat back "exercise calories" because there is no sure-fire way to know what those "burned" calories are.

When I consistently do the above things - I lose scale weight, which is FAT (because I continue to lift heavy weights throughout a "cut").

So, that is what works for me.
  • slw19
    slw19 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I agree with beeps! it really all starts with your diet and exercise is the icing on the cake. I thought I could eat my exercise calories back for a long time and it left me with 20lbs to lose.....no more eating those back!
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I hit a wall yesterday while doing my treadmill run. I intended to do 25 mins but ended up having to walk at 10 mins. After four mins, I started doing 2min intervals for five sets.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    What kind of foods do you guys eat to keep the calories so low but not be starving all the time? I'm eating oatmeal, nuts, dried fruit, quinoa, homemade low cal/fat muffins or bars and then just whatever I make for the kids for dinner and I'm trying to keep to either greek yogurt or nuts for a snack in the evening.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I eat protein and veggies, almost exclusively, when I am "cutting". A little bit of fat (to help feel satiated).

For me, if I cease ingesting "white foods" and fruit, I can usually keep my calories low enough to lose the bodyfat.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...I often feel like I am "starving" when I am on a longer-cut.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

If I had SHUT my piehole to begin with, I wouldn't NEED to lose the bodyfat. So, I kind of look at it like a bank account....by eating too much I simply "mortgaged" my future self and when I have a fat-debt to pay back, it's gonna be uncomfortable for awhile....
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    What kind of foods do you guys eat to keep the calories so low but not be starving all the time? I'm eating oatmeal, nuts, dried fruit, quinoa, homemade low cal/fat muffins or bars and then just whatever I make for the kids for dinner and I'm trying to keep to either greek yogurt or nuts for a snack in the evening.
    I'm bulking so my food ramp is loaded and when I am cutting its pretty much the same foods (less bevies, more water) just in lesser quantities.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I struggle with eating my workout calories back too. I never used to do that until I started on MFP and that was so much hype about it. I think as we get older it is almost impossible to eat them back and lose weight. It comes off too slow for us women as we get older and our metabolism slows down. I try to stay around the 1300 -1400 range if possible but if I am truly hunger and need something more I listen to my body and will eat something with protein. I am not lifting heavy like Beeps is on a regular basis but I am doing hard core cardio. I need to vamp up the lifting but have not got that down as a regular habit yet.

When I really get results I am eating oatmeal, nuts, almond milk, chicken and lean meats, veggies (cannot get enough), natural peanut butter, apples, greek yogurt, eggs. I try to really watch the carbs even if they are whole wheat, they still cause me problems.
  • Exercisewoman
    Exercisewoman Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi I'd like to join. I'm 42 years old and been on here since Jan. I've lost 6lb already of my 28 lb goal. I've let myself slip these past 5 years. Had a few injuries which has haltered my fitness regime.Looking at being really fit again and changing lots of my eating and drinking habits. A fresh start to my healthy lifestyle.
  • MBL512
    Options

Hey MLB, I recently joined our local gym. I was very athletic in my 20s & 30s, and already familiar with proper form & technique with free weights & various gym machines, BUT I couldn't figure out where to start when I returned. I had one session with a Personal Trainer who, after some testing, set up a 4 day per week strength training schedule for me. So it's mixed up. I can do it on my own. I love it and don't get bored. I just needed someone to tell me what to do LOL :p . I'm pretty good at following orders.

I called to set up an appt with a personal trainer at my local gym. :) He won't really follow me, but will help to set up a program. Hoping I can get someone to go with me, as I am so unmotivated to go out in this freezing cold weather. I just want to drop my final 5-6 lbs and finally feel better about myself and my body. I really hate being so out of shape and deconditioned.