40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Yum, Hamncheese, I love beets - every which way you mentioned! Adore borscht. I agree that mashed cauliflower is awesome and swiss chard is an absolute fav.

Another suggestion, Beeps, have you ever tried roasted cauliflower and broccoli? It is to die for. My kids will pick it off the pan. It is so easy to make: toss cauliflower and broccoli florets in olive oil, sprinkle of salt, spread onto a rimmed cookie sheet and bake in oven at 350-375 ish (sometimes I'll do 400) about 20 min or so, until the veggies brown on the edges. It deepens their natural flavour and brings out their sweetness. So. Freaking. Good.

Oh yeah, got the workout in today via Mother Nature. We had a huge dump of snow last night and I shovelled for over 2 hours this morning - the snow was mid-thigh in places.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I just got chard at the farmer's market yesterday and am planning to saute mine with a little EVOO, garlic, onions and red pepper flakes; it will be a side to my bun-less burger and probably some roasted potatoes (sweet and white).
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Please post the recipe for "mashed cauliflower"....I would like to try it.

Are they prepared just as mashed potatoes are? I would love to try to pass them off to my family.:bigsmile:

Annette, my husband makes pickled beets with hard boiled eggs. Not sure if this is very healthy. He usually goes more for taste than good for you meals.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Please post the recipe for "mashed cauliflower"....I would like to try it.

Are they prepared just as mashed potatoes are? I would love to try to pass them off to my family.:bigsmile:

Yes, I take a head of cauliflower, break it up and steam until tender. Put in a food processor (or blender) and add whatever liquid (milk, cream, broth) and seasonings as you would in making mashed potatoes. I usually go with milk,salt, pepper, garlic, and some parmesan.

Another option is pulse the cauliflower (and not puree it) so it's like couscous. I think it's referred to as cauliflower rice. This can be used to make cauliflower crust pizza (which you can search for on MFP, there's a good recipe here).
  • inuit
    inuit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    just checking in for last week, food been all over the place, but calories under control, still only swimming each day, but did take the dog out for a bike ride, only a couple of miles, but did not feel out of breath, which was a change, now got to get into the swing of training for the 15 mile triatholon ride.

Anyway, despite perhaps taking it a bit easier - lost 4lbs this week, really do not now how, i only worked out 4 nights instead of 5 and even had wine at the weekend (not had a drink for ages) and had a lot less sleep. Maybe it is what i needed, as a one off, but must not do the same again this week as want to keep the 2lb a week going.

Also if I lose 1lb this week i will be in onderland, then i will have to take my progress pics. GULP!!!!
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    And, besides talking about food, I did finish week 3 of Insanity.

Big thing for me is that I weighed in on Saturday at my lowest weight as an adult (so last 26 years). I've always been overweight (usually by about 20 lbs, but ballooned up over the last few years) and have been at losing weight for the last 11 months (joined MFP 10 months ago). At my highest weight, was probably over 220 lbs (my MFP starting weight was 214 lbs) and now down to 165 lbs.
  • titusclan
    titusclan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi All! My name is Brenda and I'm a homeschooling mom to 3 beautiful kids plus a son who is 21...and wife to the love of my life, Shawn. We live in beautiful northeastern PA. I'm working on 2 doctorates--natural medicine and naturopathy.

I'm currently working out using TurboFire and I LOVE IT!!! I've also been doing a green juice fast off and on for the past 3 weeks. I've lost 8 pounds and feel pretty good!

I'm hoping to get to know you all through this message board. Have a great day everyone! :-)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe tips - I'll have to try them, first....and then pass them onto my nanny (since she does all the cooking during the week). I hope I remember this after hawaii...'cause I won't be in the kitchen before that time!

Today is my last work-out before I go....I simply have TOO MANY MEETINGs tomorrow. And, I feel like crap because of the incredible orgy of junk food I ate during oscar night (an annual tradition). Funny how BADLY my mind wanted all this stuff (i.e. tradition!), but my body 100% rebelled. I was chewing TUMS through the night like nobody's business. It was TERRIBLE.

Anyway, have a good day, all - get your exercise in and eat your calories!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome Brenda. My husband is from Williamsport. I am thinking that may be a bit west of you. Did you get much snow this winter?

:flowerforyou: Beeps, thank goodness. Your body can't take the junk anymore.

hamncheese, doesn't it feel good to see that number on your scales !!!! Congrats !!!

inuit, I am finding that a little wine is just enough to mess up my calorie burn. I really can't even look at a bottle of Merlot.
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Hi All! My name is Brenda and I'm a homeschooling mom to 3 beautiful kids plus a son who is 21...and wife to the love of my life, Shawn. We live in beautiful northeastern PA. I'm working on 2 doctorates--natural medicine and naturopathy.

I'm currently working out using TurboFire and I LOVE IT!!! I've also been doing a green juice fast off and on for the past 3 weeks. I've lost 8 pounds and feel pretty good!

I'm hoping to get to know you all through this message board. Have a great day everyone! :-)

Would you mind sharing green juice fast recipe...I can not loose these 5 freaking pounds!!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    And, besides talking about food, I did finish week 3 of Insanity.

Big thing for me is that I weighed in on Saturday at my lowest weight as an adult (so last 26 years). I've always been overweight (usually by about 20 lbs, but ballooned up over the last few years) and have been at losing weight for the last 11 months (joined MFP 10 months ago). At my highest weight, was probably over 220 lbs (my MFP starting weight was 214 lbs) and now down to 165 lbs.

Congratulations on finishing up week 3 of Insanity and for hitting your lowest weight in years!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: 3 cheers for you! :happy:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hiya cool kidZ,

Have been around, just not enough time to post.
    Congrats on all the great accomplishments - weight loss, workouts, etc.
    My running is going well. Didn't get my long run in this weekend though as I had to head out of town.
    We got a major snowfall last night. Was supposed to be at work early, but got stuck in the driveway, so had to shovel my way out.
    After work, I did a 7 mile treadmill run - felt great! Came home and shoveled some more. Called to have the driveway plowed out but the plow truck broke down. So, am hoping tomorrow it will get done.

All the recipe ideas sound great. I love all that stuff and do roast my veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, beets, asparagus, carrots, onions, yams, etc. You name it, I probably roast it. lol.

Swiss chard is something I was raised on - LOVE IT!

Anyone hear from Chris? Not like him to be away from the boards so long. Guess it must be :heart: LOVE:heart::wink:

Beeps - have a great time in Hawaii!! :flowerforyou:
    titusclan - welcome! You sound like a busy, but very motivated young lady. Would love to know more about your green juice fast. Sounds...interesting. :flowerforyou:

Keep up the great work!!:flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: sdereski, you lucky girl. We have not had a real winter all year. Barely any snow. Go and enjoy it.:bigsmile:

Used a new bike in spinning class last night. Wow, are they ever nice. They are so smooth and each has a computer to tell us how we are doing.
  • lad9669
    Options
    I have managed to lose 4 pounds so far weather has been beatiful in ohio so doubling up on my walks. I am about treadmilled out I have been thinking aboutgetting the Ifit module for my treadmill. I have to work 6 straight days so that might cut into my work out ability<usually off monday and friday>
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I have managed to lose 4 pounds so far weather has been beatiful in ohio so doubling up on my walks. I am about treadmilled out I have been thinking aboutgetting the Ifit module for my treadmill. I have to work 6 straight days so that might cut into my work out ability<usually off monday and friday>

What part of Ohio are you? Congrats on the 4 pound loss.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...can I join the club??
  • lad9669
    Options
    I live near columbus in Pataskala
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I live near columbus in Pataskala

WHOO HOO.....in the 60s today !!!! Can't believe this for Ohio.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    There are so many new people.....Welcome everyone. Little snow here but it is still warm at least 7 degrees over the norm. Exercise has come to a complete halt. March will start a new
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: LadyPersia, it appears that most of the country is experiencing warmer than normal temps. But then, there is all that snow out west. Yesterday, in Ohio, it was so nice. In the 60s. This morning it is back to being chilly.

So far, I have not missed an exercise class. But, the week isn't over. I really want to make it to all the classes. I think that is the only way I will be able to lose anymore weight.