Calorie Counter

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• nickpnhnickpnh Member Posts: 107 Member Member Posts: 107 Member
    Happy Tuesday everyone.
    Alf - nice vacation pix
    Larro _ I have to wait for snow to melt before I can plant but I am ready. Should start seeds in the house soon.
    Stephanie - My ambitions often exceed my energy. The puppy will guarantee I at least do some walking every day (can you tell I'm excited about the puppy!!!)
    3furballs - yikes! I hope you are healing. I definitely would have skipped kickboxing so great job!
    Emmalu - cutie!
  • alf1163alf1163 Member Posts: 3,314 Member Member Posts: 3,314 Member
    Still a full day in Miami then flying home tonight. I'm a little under the weather, my body is saying "slow down girl!!" View from my hotel room. 5nqd9vuf6hsx.jpg
    r5lqe7f6rnlw.jpg
  • KellySue67KellySue67 Member Posts: 1,006 Member Member Posts: 1,006 Member
    Happy Tuesday! I actually slept all night last night! No coughing! I am feeling much better today so I am ready for kickboxing tonight! That is a good thing because I have to work late on Thursday so I will miss class that night. Hubby is doing well- walked 150ft yesterday- he has really been trying to add a little more each day! So proud of him! Friends are already planning a HUGE party for when he finally makes it home!
    Had Jake today and we hopped around like frogs this morning! Too funny! I taught him that when he was at my house for the weekend and he doesn't forget anything!!

Have a good day all!
  • StephannieLStephannieL Member Posts: 198 Member Member Posts: 198 Member
    @nickpnh- LOL yeah, I don't know what makes me think that after running around a 500 bed hospital all day (for a 12 hr shift) that I would feel like hitting the gym afterwards. However, I did have my Fitbit on and I logged 5.1 miles doing all that running around! AND I believe 13 flights of stairs or something crazy like that. LOL
    Good luck with the puppy!!!! I LOVE labs!!!!
  • caramelgyrlkcaramelgyrlk Member Posts: 1,083 Member Member Posts: 1,083 Member
    Hey Kids,

Hope all of you are well.

Man oh man so much activity on her and I LIKE IT.....

3furballs--I am NOT shocked you pushed despite your injury. You appear so focused and determined with your work outs.

Beeps--I know whatever you put your mind to, it is as good as done. Have you thougth about seeing a nutritionist? Perhaps they can provide you a different perspective which will enable you to get those last pounds off. There was a lady at the gym who kept screaming about the last 10lbs and how she was unable to lose it. This very ripped guy told her to do the rower for 20 minutes a day for 2 weeks and she would lose it. She decided to try it and she lost it. My trainer was quite impressed with the suggestion and of course she is making our class row more and even in my 1 on 1's. The point, you may need to do something different than what you are. I AM CONFIDENT YOU CAN DO IT...

Nickpnh--You know I smiled when I saw your post about the new adoption. I would love to see a pic. Do you have a name picked out yet? Is it a boy or girl? I am so excited for you.

Larro--You have started a picture frenzy on here. Such a show off (lol)...You know I expect nothing less. How is mom doing?

CG--I was going to send you a note at some point as your hiatus was longer than normal. Love your excursions.

Emmalou--Beautiful picture of your princess.

AllenPriest-Sorry about the loss of your uncle, glad you are recovering and congrats on the weight loss. You have really had a tough time lately. Hugs to you.

Alf--You look great and glad you had a good time.

I decided to run on Sunday and 1/2 mile in this sharp pain in my knee stopped me in mid run. I walked the kink out and did a light jog and it eased up a bit. I iced it when I got home and rested. I went to Extreme Fit last night and realized how limited I was as I had to do many of the beginner exercises and I did not have the speed I am used to, yet my teammates were encouraging and helped me to appreciate I was still there doing something and not home having a pity party. I did a lot of upper body work and my arms are sore today.

I am so happy that everyone is being active. When you are down and out and feel you no longer want to fight to stay on this road, the opposite road (aches, pains, medications, etc) is also hard. Either choice is hard...Which one is up to you.

Have a great day kids.
  • CuriousgeorgiannaCuriousgeorgianna Member Posts: 187 Member Member Posts: 187 Member
    Happy Tuesday Cool Kids,

Alf, I've only been to Key West once, but loved it. We took the boat to the Dry Tortugas and snorkeled there. Total blast. Have fun!

Sherry, congrats on the new FT job. Glad it involves walking. Desk jobs make it very hard to stay active throughout the day.

Stephanie, your work schedule sounds insane, but it also sounds like you do such important work. Thanks for that.

Larro, love the ROI perspective! I agree with Natalie though. The smell of cigarette smoke just sticks to everything and makes me nauseous. Hope it clears out of your quilting room.j

E'smom, such an adorable girl. She must have loved dressing in her special Easter dress.

KS, beautiful sunrise. One of my favorite daily miracles. Really happy to hear you're feeling better and were able to get some important sleep.

Oh Furballs! Ouch! I got woozy reading about your poor thumb. Glad it's still there, and you still went to Kick-boxing. You're an animal!

Beeps, the challenge sounds great. There's something very motivating about a group dynamic. Like this group!

Nick, a baby lab! How fun. What color? We had a yellow lab when I was a kid. Loved her. She smiled.

Caramel, thanks for the reminder about choosing our path. I've become tired, and feel like I'm just sitting on the curb. Time to dust off and continue the journey.

Off to Hard CORE at lunch, and plan for a good long walk after work.

Have a happy day full of good decisions everyone!
    edited April 2015
    @Curiousgeorgianna- Awww thanks! You are so sweet to say that. I'm a respiratory therapist and I love my job. I work full time at a small rural hospital and work per diem in the 500 bed hospital. I know that at least two of my patients were appreciative of my work this weekend, only because they told me. LOL
    It's always very gratifying when they tell you.

But I will say, working 12 days in a row is painful! LOL

BTW- What is Hard CORE?
  • nickpnhnickpnh Member Posts: 107 Member Member Posts: 107 Member
    Thanks everyone. She is a black lab named Missy so I am thinking Miss Maple then Maple to keep it an easy transition for her. She is from a shelter in SC where her days were numbered. She will not be here until the 18th. They are spaying her before she comes North. But she looks so much like our last one it is amazing. Not that anyone can replace Star but Missy looks like the same easy going happy medium sized lab. Perfect for the family.
    We love to camp canoe kayak and be outside so she'll be extra inspiration for us.
  • Beeps2011Beeps2011 Member Posts: 10,337 Member Member Posts: 10,337 Member
    caramel- only one way to lose scale weight - calorie deficit. I don't need a nutritionist....I need to close my piehole and eat less.

And I am! First week of a cut is HARD....but after that, sailing is smooth as body realizes "ain't no more food comin'..."

I don't like my layer of winter fat....nobody else can see it (except ladies in the change room at the gym when I am showering....), andnobody (but me) will notice when it's gone.

Which it will be. In a couple months!

Got my strength-training done and have logged all my food for the day. I get a nice arugula salad with crisped chicken for supper. Yum!
  • Beeps2011Beeps2011 Member Posts: 10,337 Member Member Posts: 10,337 Member
    Oh....BOOM! For my lifting...
  • alf1163alf1163 Member Posts: 3,314 Member Member Posts: 3,314 Member
    Beeps, I need to join you on your challenges!!! Like you say, time to close my pie hole!!!!! LOL At the airport in Miami, going home!!
  • JackieUnlimitedJackieUnlimited Member Posts: 93 Member Member Posts: 93 Member
    Nick - a lab puppy. Nice! My Kali is a black lab Australian shepherd mix... She loves camping too, good thing I like it as well. We usually go for a couple of nights in the summer with the trainers. Last year there were 13 dogs and they wore each other out, not to mention the activities the trainers had planned for all of us. Scavenger hunt, couple of really long hikes with some running involved and off leash time for the dogs, swimming and paddle board to give the dogs a different challenge. Then there were the campfires and all the food. Summer is coming.
  • JackieUnlimitedJackieUnlimited Member Posts: 93 Member Member Posts: 93 Member
    Oh and 6 Legs to Fitness, always fun!
  • shotsonme2000shotsonme2000 Member Posts: 9 Member Posts: 9
    I started a strict 1500 call a day diet with only cardio ie elliptical training. I started today to remove all carbs from my diet. I NEED HELP!! I need recipes badly and encouragement to meet my goal. Was 225 lbs 5'10", 46 y/o. I am currently at 214, 3 weeks in. My goal is 190 lbs.
  • 3furballs3furballs Member Posts: 452 Member Member Posts: 452 Member
    Glad to hear everyone is doing good.

Nick, the puppy sounds wonderful. Great inspiration to keep moving.

Stephanie, working 12 days in a row sounds horrible!

Beeps, Good luck with the new diet and lift heavy things! BOOM!

Shotsome, good luck with the diet.

I've changed my tactics and I'm gradually increasing my calories. Weight loss will take longer buti just don't do well on super restrictive calories.

I cut my thumb on the Sunday and worked out on the Monday, so not same day. I was feeling rather queasy after I cut it. It's feeling a lot better and is looking like it will seal ok, just need to keep it protected and safe.

I did kettlebell tonight and jumped in for the last 30 minutes of Kickboxing, still just shadow boxing with the right hand and will be for a while. Walked to and from work too.

I've realized that working out has become like a fun version of brushing my teeth. I feel wrong and weird if I don't do it! But much more fun than brushing my teeth. I love pushing myself and seeing the strength increasing and my endurance getting better. May get back to combat conditioning on Thursday. A HIIT class that had some wild stuff. See how my thumb feels.
  • allenpriestallenpriest Member Posts: 1,102 Member Member Posts: 1,102 Member
    nickpnh wrote: »
    Yeah. I will have a new source of exercise on Sunday! We're adopting a 9 month old lab from a lab rescue! Some may remember our sweet lab passed away at Thanksgiving so I am looking forward to a new furry friend and the kids will be over the moon too!

Walking the dog has been a good way to get me moving more.
  • KellySue67KellySue67 Member Posts: 1,006 Member Member Posts: 1,006 Member
    Happy Hump Day! Kickboxing last night was a little difficult, but made it through. No workout today or tomorrow, but I will be back at it on Friday. I have a morning full of meetings so I have to run, but wanted to check in and say hello!

Have a great day!
    edited April 2015
    @3furballs- Yeah, it's a bit painful which is why I don't do it very often. LOL
    Morning everyone!
    Hit the treadmill last night after work before picking my kiddo up at daycare. Got about 2 miles in before I had to head.
    Last night my boyfriend ordered me a new Fitbit (early birthday present!). I currently have the Ultra but it doesn't connect with my phone (which would be nice while I'm at work) so he ordered me (and himself) the Fitbit One. I'm so excited!
    Even more excited that he wants to do this with me. :)
  • caramelgyrlkcaramelgyrlk Member Posts: 1,083 Member Member Posts: 1,083 Member
    Morning Kids,

Hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

I could not sleep and was wide awake at 2 a.m. and decided to take a 5 a.m. spin/tone class this morning. Can you say WIRED!!!!lol....I love to work out in the morning. I have TRX later and I look forward to that class as well.

Keep up the great job everyone.

• ruby70ruby70 Member Posts: 459 Member Member Posts: 459 Member
    Morning Kids,

Hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

I could not sleep and was wide awake at 2 a.m. and decided to take a 5 a.m. spin/tone class this morning. Can you say WIRED!!!!lol....I love to work out in the morning. I have TRX later and I look forward to that class as well.

Keep up the great job everyone.

Caramel - Way to get the morning started!!! I used to do some spinning classes but have not done one in a long time.

I made the call to the gym in town yesterday to talk to them about joining. They do not have staff there all the time so you have to set up an appointment to join. Sam started track this week in middle school and he will be tied up with that until close to 6 pm so this will work out perfect. I will have extra time for me after work!!!
    I am really excited to get back to a gym where there is all the weights I need. I am especially looking forward to the leg press. Not kidding! I miss it. :)