Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 X3 Yoga"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids hope all is well. A new class that is powerlifting and weightlifting combined. Well it kicked my butt and I am feeling it. I can see that I am getting stronger. Still waiting for a muscle or two to pop through somewhere (lol). BettyM1017, I love your energy. Have a great day everyone.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Ran 3m. Feeling every single muscle in my hamstrings and core from the rowing class yesterday.

Picked up a copy of "Racing Weight" today. Anyone read it? Thoughts?
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Ugh! No Hardcore 22 or running today. Between filling orders on my Etsy store and an extra day at work this week, I had to forgo any workouts today. No worries. I'll be pounding the pavement tomorrow!
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Just put in a little time on the elliptical and did some back extensions. Lifting tomorrow! Yay!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Ran 3m. Feeling every single muscle in my hamstrings and core from the rowing class yesterday.

Picked up a copy of "Racing Weight" today. Anyone read it? Thoughts?

I've read it. I like Matt Fitzgerald's work and I followed his Half Iron distance triathlon training plan the last two years with good results. In Racing Weight, he makes a solid case for leanness as a predictor of faster performance. He treats the subject holistically, from managing your appetite, to mindful eating and fueling properly for racing weight. I also like his section on strength work for the various endurance sports, such as swimming, triathlon, rowing,etc. last year, I asked my trainer to read Fitzgerald's book and focus on his strength training movements to build a plan for me that focused on my core and posterior chain muscle groups. That worked well for me.

If you like Racing Weight, you might also read "Nutrition Periodization for Endurance Athletes" by Bob Seebohar. Like Fitzgerald , Seebohar explains the need for and how to manage the big variances in calorie requirements facing athletes who are trying to fuel properly for training loads and endurance events that often require several thousand calories in fuel to complete successfully. His focus is on the variable needs for fueling depending on where an athlete is in the base, build, or peak phases of a training cycle. (aka periodization).
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx -- Thanks for the review and the recommendation. I hadn't noticed the strength section; that'll be very useful.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Eccentric Upper"=Done!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Hardcore 22: Cardio 2 and Core 1 and a 6-mile run...DONE!

Temp: 84F
    Humidity: 52%
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids, Happy Friday.

Nice weather today, so we're swimming outside tonight. Two weeks out from the first 70.3 race of the season, so this is the last high volume weekend before starting to taper for race day. Long bike ride then a transition run tomorrow. Long open water swim at race pace, then a 2 hour easy run on Sunday.

Stay Cool...
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Hardcore 22: Resistance 2 and a 6-mile run, which included the warm up, cool down, and 6 x 400 m intervals...DONE!

Temp: 80F
    Humidity: 80%

That was hard! I think my only saving grace was that it was overcast the whole time. I definitely soaked and spent when I finished.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Hey Kids, Happy Friday.

Nice weather today, so we're swimming outside tonight. Two weeks out from the first 70.3 race of the season, so this is the last high volume weekend before starting to taper for race day. Long bike ride then a transition run tomorrow. Long open water swim at race pace, then a 2 hour easy run on Sunday.

Stay Cool...

Amazing!! I'm just starting to work on my swimming. My daughter wants me to do a triathlon someday. I have the more realistic desire of not drowning. Yes, I can swim; however, I'm terrible at regulating my breathing while swimming, and I'm gasping for air after every lap. Any suggestions?
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Ran 3m. Got whistled at. Had mixed feelings. :-/

Embrace it! Be proud!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday kids. I am still sore as can be from class and then crazy enough to take yoga. My body is a tad beat. I hope all of you have a fantastic weekend.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Finally got to the gym today as it was raining when I was ready to workout after attending a friend's retirement ceremony, so paddling was out of the question for the day. Felt like I was working out in mud as I was lifting...just been super tired lately. Did my basic circuit with no extras and got out of there. Really want a nap now. Guess something is better than nothing. Big church clean up day tomorrow which will be my workout for the day.

Happy Friday! Have a great weekend! Keep cool, kids!