40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    CG Endurance Week! However, yesterday was a holiday so camp times and locations were limited. I didn't get home from work on Sunday until midnight, so the 5AM class, which was my only option, was NOT an option. Instead, I decided to tackle a Murph. I don't do Crossfit, but this seemed like a good choice for Memorial Day.

1-mile run
    100 pull ups
    200 push ups
    300 squats
    1-mile run with a weighted vest

I did break that up into the 20 "Cindy"s, which is 20 sets of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, and 15 squats, mostly because doing the same thing 100 times in a row doesn't really work for my short attention span, lol. Right around the 30-rep mark I start wondering if I'm really that fatigued already or just bored. Breaking it up just works for me.

Also, I don't have a weighted vest, so I just ran with my sandbell. I need to get more comfortable running with it anyway to get ready for CG Games in July. And yes, I used my handy dandy pull-up assist band for some of those pull ups, and I may have dropped to my knees for a few (or more) of those push ups, but I got the job done!

Here's a link to some information on the workout and why it's called the Murph. https://btwb.blog/2018/05/11/memorial-day-murph-who-what-why/

dk3sgcbzmmp4.jpg
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids,

Congrats @Quikdogs on the impressive as hell powerlifting progress! Such great results!

@Betty, I'm familiar with the Murph workout, but have never tried it. The pushups/pullups would wipe me out. Great job...what did you find to be the most difficult, was it one movemeht, or just overall fatigue as you got deeper into the sets?

I'm five days out from my first race of the season, the REV3 70.3 Quassy tri in Connecticut. At 10 weeks out from this year's goal race, Ironman Mont Tremblant, the Quassy course will be a great test of my fitness.

Stay Cool.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    looks like I forgot to post this morning...oops... :o

"Insanity Max: 30 Tabata Power"=DONE!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Sweat Intervals & Ab Attack: 10"=DONE!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,945 Member
    Options
    I think I will cool it in the challenges. I have one more left that I committed to - and, I would like to be four more lbs down, 0.5” up on shoulders, 1” down on waist and (of course...) 3+” down on hips, lol.

BUT, I can feel myself wearing out on the full-throttle approach. It is summer. I am going to try to be mindful of what I put in my mouth, and how much, but otherwise going to ENJOY.

It has been a stressful time - my husband took a job in Toronto for (permanent) work, in a commute situation, while I wait here for at least two years for teens to graduate high school.

Sooooo, I am PROUD of holding it all together, and feeling healthy in my (nearing) 50-yr-old body. My shape is good. It is not great, and maybe that wasn’t in the cards, for me. I have worked hard and I have the best shape since Feb/2016, for sure. I am not ”giving up” - just going to aim for “steady”.

And maybe attempt another cut in Autumn, 2018.
  • enickma1221
    enickma1221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I dont turn 40 till October. Can I hang, or should I come back?
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Tabata Power"=DONE!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Friday Fight: Round 1"=DONE!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Pulse"=Done!
    this was supposed to be tomorrow's routine. I know it wasn't gonna happen. I have Spartan in the AM in New York, then I have a concert (5 bands) in Jersey after. looking at about 6 hours of driving and an 18-20 hour day.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    @Beeps2011 sounds like a good approach. It's hard to balance between living life and enjoying and not going overboard. I struggle constantly with it.

First week in a while I haven t wicked out a ton. Cardio kickboxing once, focus pad class one and long walks with the kids. Tomorrow is kettlebell and kickboxing. Not sure if tonight is kb or another walk.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm marginally cool..I guess...ill be 45 in a week (gulp..thats a tough one)
    Ive been on this journey a few weeks..I have a goal of 20 pounds and its moving in the right direction just veyr slllowly
    Im trying low carb/keto but al really unsure what I can and cant eat..need to do more research
    I work out about an hour a day...light weights at home, yoga, and treadmill/walking
    From Northern NJ

kim
  • travelingguy0219
    travelingguy0219 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @kimber0607 sounds like you’re doing all the right things. Slowly is the way you want to go. Makes it more likely that the weight will stay off. Keep your diet realistic and your exercises engaging so that you stick with them. Keep up the good work!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sooooo beauitful, sdereski!! where are these gorgeous places?
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Today I met up with a buddy who does strongman competition. She is super strong! She had me try car deadlifts, I managed the 45s and 35s before I dropped out. She did 3 45s! Whoa. Then she had me try the thing where they pick up the concrete balls and put them over a bar (or on a shelf). I got up to the 90lb ball before I dropped out. Super happy because I’m little, I’m old (60), and I’m weak. Then I tried the yoke walk...I’m going to need to get used to that. I did like 4 steps and I was like nope! Anyway super fun day! Thanks to BodyTribe of Sacramento for putting up with me! Such a cool gym and cool people.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Rest day today. For real this time. Was out my door by 5am yesterday, didn’t get back home ‘til after 1am. Gonna practice shiv asana all day today.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    Rest day today. For real this time. Was out my door by 5am yesterday, didn’t get back home ‘til after 1am. Gonna practice shiv asana all day today.

Well, FAILED! :s
    The gf wanted to go for a “recovery run”. Ended with having her do pole sprints...for making me get off the couch. >:)
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Insanity Max: 30 Cardio Challenge & 360 Abs"=Done!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Alright, let's post about workouts:

Sunday - long walk
    Monday - step cardio
    Tuesday - weightlifting
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - yoga
    Friday - weightlifting
    Saturday - cardio