40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Marla, good hearing from you!!!! How are you feeling? Ft Jackson is very dear to us in my family. My husband, myself and my daughter did our basic trng there. Good to have you back!!

Swiss, good to hear from you. Missed you!!!

Welcome to the new members!!! Judway, try not to get down and dwell on the past. Try to think about what worked in the past and focus on those things...consistency is the key!! You can do it!!! :flowerforyou:

jineat, sounds like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work!

Well gotta go!!! Take care!!! :flowerforyou:
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    2.5 mile slow run during lunch, weather was perfect. 93 Pushups today (24+24+21+24), the 21 were done very slowly, hence the 21 :D
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    :flowerforyou: Judway....a big welcome to you. My mother lost weight with TOPS. That was about 35 years ago. I think that anything will work if you put your mind and soul to it. I understand a diabetic diet. This runs in my family. I lost 55 pounds just following the healthy way that diabetics eat. You know....diets will not work because you can't stay on them forever. The only way to lose and keep the pounds off is to change your lifestyle. Eat whatever in moderation and stick to natural, instead of processed, food.

:flowerforyou: Welcome jineat....It sure sounds like you know what you are doing. And, I believe that you will succeed.

:flowerforyou: Good morning alf. Glad that you are here also. You are truly missed when you get too busy to visit.

Well, I am up another pound !!!! I had gained five over the holidays and had lost four of them. Now I am back up by two.:angry: Plus, I still want to lose about 15 more.
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    I am finally at healthy BMI!!! on the border line, but I will take it. I haven't been under 150 in a long time. It seems a day of fasting on Sunday after my indulgence of Sonic Chocolate Malt shake and dinner out on Saturday help move my weight below 150 for the first time since my last pregnancy 10 years ago. I usually stall out around 151-152 and then I give up. I am so pump up to move on down! :happy:
  • ld40
    ld40 Posts: 15 Member
    HI All,

Ran 4 miles at lunch on Monday. No running yesterday, but did my wife's 20 minute ab video with her, and a bunch of push ups, curls, and some overhead presses with dumbbells. Going to run another 4 today at lunch. I have my first 5K this Sat and just signed up for a 5 mile race in March. I'm hoping for good weather this Saturday, but I'm guessing it is going to be cold. Long range forecast says low of single digits with high of low 30s, and with the start time being 8AM I'm sure it will still be towards the cold end of that. Still trying to figure out scheduling for what half marathon I am going to sign up for in the fall.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Got up for a run this morning at 5:00am, man did that come early, I felt like I was sleeping through the entire run. Made it though 3.2 miles
  • Hi everyone, just turned 40 and looking to lose around 25 to 30 lbs but happy if I lose 20 cos ya know, I'm not in my 20s any longer.

No specific regime, just watching what I am eating and exercising more.

Congratulations to all on your weight loss so far!! My problem has always been maintaining my weight in the long term, so this time round, I'm hoping to do just that.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Left work a few minutes early so I could get in a workout BEFORE I got my hair done - proud of myself for not skipping the workout:! :wink:

Day 4 of my year without hubby....only 361 to go! :laugh: Seriously, I'm not going to count individual days gone or individual days til he gets back for many months - would make the year seem like solitary confinement! :noway:

Youngest daughter's officially started Army Basic training, so I don't expect to hear from her again for awhile. Rumor has it that the trainees get cell phones back for a short time on Sunday afternoons to call home; we shall see. I'm not holding my breath for this weekend.

Oldest daughter is 2.5 hours away; I expect to see her more often now that she's "worried" about me being totally alone with hubby and other daughter gone, and no dog to keep me company anymore. We had to put our 16 yr old beagle/daschund mix to sleep on New Year's Eve.:frown: She lived a long and comfy life, but we'd agreed long ago that when the time came that we wouldn't put her through endless tests/treatments to keep her alive. She was pretty active up until 2 days before; then something went wrong with her neck/spine and she couldn't lay down or raise her head up completely and yelped every time she tried. Couldn't sleep - just horrible to watch. Vet said that neck/spine problems are very common with older long body dogs and the the problems come up very quickly. So...........we had a long night of soul searching, but decided that it was best to stop the pain and let her go. We all bawled like babies - such a hard decision to make. No more pets for us until the hubby and I are both retired - not fair to a pet to be in a kennel or outside in Kansas' weather extremes for 10 hours a day while we're at work. We've agreed we'll probably get another dog when we both retire, but that's at least 10 years from now.

Lots of new names on the thread - it'll take me awhile go catch up on everyone.

Have a good evening all!
  • Hello everyone! I am glad someone started this thread as I am in my 40's (although if you ask me I will tell you im 37! LOL!) I have been batteling my weight for many years now. I grew up thin and never had to 'work out' so i reall:flowerforyou: y dont like it much now! As i got older the weight started creeping on and now I need to get 100lbs off. Im in very good health and 5'9" so I am more than capable to do this! This is my 2nd time here, I know this site works. I lost 25 lbs last year but got complacent during the summer and let the weight creep back. Ive had enough with not feeling comfortable in my body and have decided that this year is gonna be the year i get healthy for the rest of my life! I dont believe that healthy low calorie food has to be complicated, boring or full of 'odd' ingredients that you have to hunt for. Feel free to add me to your friends list! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    :flowerforyou: mkwood, so sorry about your dog. I can't say that I understand as I have never had to do this. I did have an animal die in my arms a year ago. It was our 21 year old cat. You are fortunate to be able to leave work early. I have this stupid job that I have to be at 8 hours a day. No leaving early.

reckless, it shoulds like you are on the right path. Eating healthy and getting more exercising. If you were to go on one of those strange diets you probably wouldn't keep any pounds off.

Id40, I have to smile at the thought of you exercising with your wife. I really think that is a great idea and it would probably enhance your marriage also.

ken, I love early morning workouts. I just don't have the time for them. Have to be up here at work by 6:30.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Hello MFP friends!!! Yep, still around...busy as usual. Check in time tomorrow!!! How is everyone doing?

Swiss, good to see you!!

Marla (MKwood), I am so sorry to hear about your dog. It brought tears to my eyes when I read your post. I am an animal lover and know how hard it is when we lose them. I wanted to share this with you.

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge...
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER...

Talk to you guys tomorrow!! :flowerforyou:
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    I officially join this club today as its my 40th bday! I'm looking forward to new challenges in my 40's. I've always just used the MFP app on my phone - today is the first day I've actually logged into site and read message boards. I love it! Its so positive and motivating! I'm generally fit but can never seem to lose that last 5-10 lbs. Hoping getting on here more often will help plus now that I'm entering my 40's I know I will have to work harder to meet my goals. Will post pics soon :)
  • happy 2012 everyone! I had to catch up. Tron...I hope 2012 will be better for you....you have completed an obsticle course! mk,alf, robin,ladyp....nice to see you. What happened to stiring and sing???
    quick update:
    our jack russell passed peacefully outside the back door in sept....he had been acting odd and just wanted to pass outside...he loved being out....he was 15. My mother has a helper and is doing ok-she is able to stay in her place and now I am not worrying so much. sometimes i hd worried myself sick.
    went to the dr this wk have to loose a few lbs as i gained while staying w/my mother and not able to exercise there. goes to say the choles wnt up, so she understands and will gv me 3 mths to get bk in line. nxt wk i have to go for a strss test and ultra sound of my arteries...i hope needles are not involved in this:huh:

what a mild new england winter we are having-crazy.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Oh oh... it seems I've found the Fitness Fanatic Forty Year Olds :S

Been a few months since I've been anything I would class as fit, but I am over 40 by 5 years. Problem I find now keeping fir is that my joints just dont want to put up with the punishment anymore. I'm actually beginning to think I'm getting the first signs of arthritus which sucks as I should be about 90 before I get that!!!

Anyways, always fancied a 6 pack and I dont think I'm yet too close to dead to be able to manage that, so any tips are welcome.
  • hewhoiscd
    New Personal Best (PB) for one mile: Ran two miles during lunch today, the first mile was a warm up at 10m14s then I went for it on the 2nd mile and did it in 7m24s, over 30 seconds faster than the last time I tried for a fast 1 mile time :) Only 48 (24+24) Pushups today, busy day.

*AngeleDei: I don't have a six pack either, if I squint real hard first thing in the morning, I sometimes can convince myself that I have a soft 4 pack though :laugh: From all I have read and heard, a 6 pack is mostly made in the kitchen. Do you take joint support supplements?

*pepper06: I think you are safe from needles :)

*caroldot & Tammysueless & reckless99 & Judway: You know you can do it!

*mkwood & ken: good job on the early morning workout!

*Id40: You'll have a blast in the 5K race. Just pace yourself that 1st mile, don't let the excitement get to ya. Like it did to me :D

*swilkie: Grats on the BMI!

*jineat: sounds like you are on track!
  • noelandy
    noelandy Posts: 6 Member
    I am new here. I tried this program last year for a short time. Didnt really give it my all my any stretch. I was 142 last time I checked in last year. I am at 162 now, and VERY discouraged.This was what I weighed in when I delivered my last child at age 47.....yes age 47. I just turned 50. Im am so ready to get back to where I feel good, and its NOT where Im sitting right now.
  • Had a general question I was hoping to get an answer to...hope someone can

I love apples and oranges...but have been trying hard to just eat them on the rare occasion as they were also screwing up my sugar count.....17 grams in 1 Granny Smith apple......could an Admin from the site clarify whether natural sugars from fruit qualify as part of your daily consumption?....Thanks
  • hewhoiscd
    Had a general question I was hoping to get an answer to...hope someone can

I love apples and oranges...but have been trying hard to just eat them on the rare occasion as they were also screwing up my sugar count.....17 grams in 1 Granny Smith apple......could an Admin from the site clarify whether natural sugars from fruit qualify as part of your daily consumption?....Thanks

I'm no admin, and opinions vary on this. But for me, I don't worry about sugars from fruit & vegetables, just the refined processed sugars in every thing else.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Had a general question I was hoping to get an answer to...hope someone can

I'm no admin, and opinions vary on this. But for me, I don't worry about sugars from fruit & vegetables, just the refined processed sugars in every thing else.

unless you are a diabetic and then it absolutely does count.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Hi All,

Was away for a few days and didn't have internet. Thought I would have, but my girlfriend's internet was not working, so was out of touch.
    While away, I did exercise. Went to bootcamp with my friend and then we ran on the day we didn't have bootcamp. We used to do all sorts of stuff together when she lived here. We got each other out the door all the time. We would walk each night in whatever weather. She moved away a year ago, and I sure do miss her.

Am really tired tonight. Got home around 7 p.m. last night. Unpacked and started my laundry. Was midnight by the time I was in bed, now after a days work, my run and shoveling snow, I whooped.

Hope to get caught up with everyone in the next few days.