40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hmm noticed thus thread and as I qualify as a Cool Kid (by a few years) thought I would bump it!
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @hewhoiscd. No, I dont use any supplements. What would you recommend?

Problem with my hands (mostly) is that on (predominantly) damp days, they are a bit painful and weak. If I want to open a jar, I dont have much grip at all and struggle. I've got to ignore the pain and just grip harder. Pain isnt constant, just when I'm trying to do something requiring a bit of strength.

Legs tend to "seize up" now if I've been sat down too long or have sat on the floor. I now need to "warm them up" before they are back to normal (a few paces). Until they warm up, they are painful and stiff.

No idea if either of them sound like arthritis or what they are. I thought I was a bit young to get that (45) but cant think what else it could be. I get RSI in my wrist now and then (computer programmer), but nothing else up until this which turned up about 4 -6 months ago.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Welcome Steven. Looking forward to hearing from you.

AngeleDei, I am not sure if your stiffness is arthritis or not. I don't think that age has too much to do with it anymore. I have it in some joints in my hands. Didn't appear until I was in my 50s. Might be a good idea to stretch out your limbs before really using them.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I will be 40 in a couple months, close enough? :D BTW... how do you join, or is this just a post on here for fun?

My main fitness goal this year is to not stop eating healthy and to keep exercising all year long from now until as long as I live. I know that's a big goal, but I think the point is that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet! What we do should be permanent.

Smaller goals: Right now I'm trying to do at least 1/2 hour a day of cardio as well as the hundred pushups (hundredpushups.com) program. I'd also like to do some Jillian Michaels dvds.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    *noelandy: You know you can do it :)

*steven: welcome!

*AngeleDei: For joints, do some research on Collagen Type II and Glucosamine. For your legs and joints, try some Yoga.

*10Kaday: We'll just call you the "almost cool kid" till then ;) Just recently started focusing on my pushups, but no specific program. Just progressing each week. I'll look into that link though, see if I want to change it up or not.
    unless you are a diabetic and then it absolutely does count.

Very True. Fortunately, that's not something I have to keep in mind for myself.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi folks: In my early 40's and trying to get to race weight (running a marathon in the spring). I was never technically overweight, but I know what weight feels right to me -- and that's about 5-7 pounds less than I weigh now (which is 110 pounds). Also trying to eat more healthily so I can maintain energy for my early-morning workouts.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @hewhoiscd: Do you ever do boot camp? I'm a runner and I found the only way I will get my strength training in is if I do boot camp twice a week. Which I just started again.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Friday check-in!

Weight is same, but I didn't expect any different, considering it's been less than a week since hubby left for Korea.

I've made it to Curves twice this week and will be there today on my way home. Both other workouts burned around 375 calories, which I don't think is too bad for a 30 minute full body workout! Trying to make the workout on M-W-F on the way home a habit. Trying not to get discouraged when I look in the mirror - I didn't end up looking like this overnight and it'll take time for the disgusting flab to go away!!

Swiss and Alf.....thanks so much for the kind words about losing a pet. I still choke up when I think about her or talk about losing her, and I'm NOT a touchy-feely person at all!

Finally going to break down and get an iPhone. I've been putting off getting a smart phone, but want to be able to have face chats with my daughter once she's done with Basic Training and moves on to Advanced Individual Training (AIT) in March. Of course, having the MFP app will make tracking food a lot easier!

Have a great weekend all!!
    Marla
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh, I so fit this group.
    I joined MFP the end of July 2010 with a goal of losing 10 lbs and running a 5k.
    I did both by March of 2011.
    Then went into maintenance mode and toning mode. Got the 30 Day Shred DVD and started to work on some flab. On day 18 my house sold and I had to get my family moved 500 miles. So, 6 months goes by and I can barely jog 2 miles.
    I'm back on the wagon, tracking my food, running a little and started 30 Day Shred, again.
    I refuse to let my body fall apart and be a flabby blob.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am new here. I tried this program last year for a short time. Didnt really give it my all my any stretch. I was 142 last time I checked in last year. I am at 162 now, and VERY discouraged.This was what I weighed in when I delivered my last child at age 47.....yes age 47. I just turned 50. Im am so ready to get back to where I feel good, and its NOT where Im sitting right now.

Dont get discouraged. Set your nutrition and fitness goals and work on it. You can do it!!! Be consistent and you will see results. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all new members. Cant remember who asked but there is no group to sign up, this is it!!! Let's encourage and help one another!!!!

Friday check in, weight a little up by .4 :tongue: so not bad...know what is causing it. :tongue: met my exercise and eating goals, well, except for going to Bikram but after "pulling" a muscle last week I was not very eager to go back so soon. I hope I can keep up with the plan this weekend. Going out with hubby to a birthday party at a French Rest/bar/club that specializes in chocolate recipes. They make chocolate martinis to die for. :noway: :laugh: I havent had one since early last year so might "treat" myself to one if I cannot resist. :happy:

Have a great weekend!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • hfrymire
    Options
    that is so inspiring...i have always wanted to become a "runner" but thought i was too old and too out of shape...good for you!!! Thanks for posting
  • hfrymire
    Options
    46 here.... and down 92 lbs in the past 12 months. I have learned a lot more about balancing my diet and have been running. I went from only being able to run 30 seconds at a time to training for my first half marathon this coming June. I'd also like to "join" the group but not sure what that involves. At work now but I'll add more about myself later.

working on figuring this site out but that is so inspiring! I am 42 and have always wanted to become a "runner" but thought i was too out of shape to ever do it. Thanks for posting bc im not sure i can run for much over 30 seconds at a time lol.
  • hfrymire
    Options
    Im in...im 42 and would like to lose around 60 lbs...i have struggled with my weight over the last several years. Im having a hard time getting it kick started. Currently im just staying under 1200 calories and not doing much exercise since my treadmill is being repaired :(
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh I want to be a cool kid! I'll turn 41 next month and just became lifestyle changing serious about fitness in October. I ran my first 5k in December and hope to run a few more as well as train for a half marathon. Currently I'm working with a fitness group on strength training. We meet M/W/F at 6am and I love it. I'm still trying to decide if I want to continue after my 6 months with the group or move on to New Rules for Lifting on my own. I have 5-8 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight, but they are hanging on for dear life. I would love to get to know other cool kids with similar goals and aspirations.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Howdy
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi! please friend me if you'd like! I'd really like to keep up & get motivated by people in my age group since we all understand what we're going through :) Thanks!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Glad I found out where the cool kids are!! Hi...I'm Monica....40 yrs old....
    Book marking this thread for later!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hi. This looks like a good group. I've lost 100 pounds and kept it off but I had more to lose that just doesn't want to come off. I'd lake to take off another 40 pounds. I've been certified and working as a personal trainer for 2 years now. My grandkids just moved in with me. They are 3 and 4 and have kind of put a kink in my workout time. I love road biking..usually do a few hundred miles a month. Not so much with the kids. I'll have them for 6 months, so I'm doing different things for now. I usually lift 3 days a week and I joined a second gym that has childcare so I can continue to do that. I train my clients at an independent gym (because I don't work for a gym, I'm independent) and it doesn't have childcare. Have to schedule my training sessions around when someone can watch the kids. I'm working on getting more sleep. I have trouble staying asleep at night and I think that and the fact that I forget to drink my water is what is stalling my weightloss. I'm planning to run a mini triathlon in July and I really want the rest of my weight gone by then.
  • reammi
    reammi Posts: 70
    Options
    Just saw this thread and I definitely do qualify as a cool kid. I'm 47 and I've been athletic my entire life. A college basketball knee injury sidelined me for quite some time as did having 3 kids. A few years ago, I decided I needed to do something as I had gained weight and I missed working out. So, I came up with the idea to walk 30 miles a week for 52 weeks totalling 1560 miles. That was an every day commitment but I thought no problem - anyone can walk. This was a really good idea when I started in April. By January when I was walking in sub zero temperatures and blizzards it probably wasn't the best idea (I live in NJ). Anyway, I finished the year walking 1650 miles. So, I continued to walk but I didn't bother to alter my eating. In 2011 I figured I had the exercise part down so I might as well get healthy and fit. I was 221 pounds in January 2011 and by the end of 2011 I was down to 149 pounds which put me in a healthy range for my height. I also went from walking to running which is amazing to me given that I have had 7 knee operations and will eventually need knee replacement. A good pair of running sneakers took away all knee pain and now I run at least 20 miles a week. My time to run 5 miles has gone from 60 minutes to under 48 minutes. 2011 was an amazing year for me. So, for 2012 I'd like to lose another 9 pounds, run a few races (either 5k's or 5 milers) and sucessfully manage maintenance. I just started weight training at my gym for toning and I'd like to stick with that as well.