40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Happy friday everyone. Been really busy here and the ice didn't help today. Hugs. I'll write on Sunday
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    142 Push Ups Today (22@8am then 24 each at 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm and 5pm). Scheduled rest day on cardio, guess I had extra energy :D
  • sreeves1429
    sreeves1429 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope everybody had a great week. Had a bit of a setback this week as I was under the weather, therefore didn't get to workout as frequently as I'd hoped. Starting to feel better so going to try and get some exercise n this weekend, but will definitely be getting back on track by Monday.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have done so well all this week. Now the weekend is here and I am cutting loose.
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 43. I have lost 15 pounds so far. I have another 50 pounds to go. Hoping to lose it by June. I wanna be lounging by my pool in a bikini.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 43. I have lost 15 pounds so far. I have another 50 pounds to go. Hoping to lose it by June. I wanna be lounging by my pool in a bikini.

Connect with some friends here. They will encourage and help you to achieve your goal.
  • just_a_southern_belle
    Options
    I'm a 44 y.o. wife, and mom needing to lose 100+ pounds. Is there a group to join for us or is this just a thread ?
  • Happyhooper41
    Happyhooper41 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I am 41 gave up smoking in January dont want to put on anymore weight...have been finding it hard to lose weight after putting on over 25lb in the first 6 months of working nights.still working nights over a year and a half later...Have been hula-hooping for a year now and love it..so hoping that by tracking what I eat i will finaly start losing weight......:smile:
  • SocraticS
    SocraticS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    COOOOOOOOOOOOOL! I'm turning 40 2/2! I'M EXCITED TO TURN 40! OVERALL I FEEL GREAT! I STILL FEEL SO YOUNG AND DUE TO BOTH NATURE AND NURTURE STILL LOOK YOUNG. Can hardly believe I will be 50 in 10 years: seems surreal.

I am 5'2" and say 119.6. I got up to 123 during the holidays but took 3.4 pounds off by eating healthy since 1/1/12. Overall, I have gained about 9 pounds over the last nine years (I'm sure my crazy attempts to lose weight just made it worse each year. I sit a lot in between semesters but not as much during the semester: I'm a philosophy professor and usually walk around when teaching).

My feet tend to give me problems once or twice a year and sometimes my lower back or knee can be affected by my feet. I give myself days or weeks to heal with massage and physical therapy. Sometimes I go for months with no to little problems. I've learned to live with the unexpected cycles. I'm currently just walking 3 miles an hour in my neighborhood 20 - 40 minutes 4 to 5 times a week. I start swimming lessons on 1/15!!! I hope to start jogging 9 - 12 miles per week again on my 40th b-day! I will start cycling to my home campus on the two day's week.

In addition to teaching full-time, I am auditing a graduate course on communication and identity, so that will keep me busy.

I have two grown kids (19 and 21) and a great hubby who finally has become more health minded and obsessed with athletic gear (he used to look down upon such things).

One thing that is on my mind: BACK FAT. I never had it but it started to creep up a few years ago and now I have an entire inch-layer of fat:( Am I doomed to have it forever? I look horrible in all athletic swimwear and sports bras. BIG bulges of fat edge out, almost falling, around the straps and edges of the swimsuit (I am otherwise sort-of toned and not blubbery anywhere else: except the belly of course.)
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    SocraticS: Happy (early) Birthday!

I love hearing everyone's stories. Keep 'em coming.

I did second boot camp session this morning. Lots of free weights, crunches/pushups, and tons of running up and down the stadium stairs in the Rose Bowl. Great workout. I hope I can keep this up!
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    last saturday morning's weigh in was awesome - dropped 6.5 lbs. i only got in half the exercise this week, had those special blahs but still every other day exercising is better than none at all. I did eat fairly clean but kind of forgot to drink water. the most aggravating thing i've faced though is the lack of calories. going to do some serious food shopping this week to get foods in the house that i like, and don't screw up my efforts.

i am very pleased that when I rewarded myself for my efforts, I did it with a non-food item - Coach Poppy perfume. LOVE IT!!! I think my next reward will be some nice heels.

good luck in your efforts to the rest of the 40+ people. make it awesome!!!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    @hewhoiscd. No, I dont use any supplements. What would you recommend?

Problem with my hands (mostly) is that on (predominantly) damp days, they are a bit painful and weak. If I want to open a jar, I dont have much grip at all and struggle. I've got to ignore the pain and just grip harder. Pain isnt constant, just when I'm trying to do something requiring a bit of strength.

Legs tend to "seize up" now if I've been sat down too long or have sat on the floor. I now need to "warm them up" before they are back to normal (a few paces). Until they warm up, they are painful and stiff.

No idea if either of them sound like arthritis or what they are. I thought I was a bit young to get that (45) but cant think what else it could be. I get RSI in my wrist now and then (computer programmer), but nothing else up until this which turned up about 4 -6 months ago.

I would recommend you try taking Grape Seed extract. it does come in pill form. It works wonders on those pains (it does sound like arthritis). Take it consistently and those pains will go away. My husband takes it daily - he used to suffer with such pain in his knees, and is now running!!
  • ld40
    ld40 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 5K this morning. I went out a bit too fast, and slogged a bit around the 2 mile mark. Luckily the last quarter mile was all downhill. My goal was to be around 30 minutes, and I ended up finishing in 28.22. Had a blast, and can't wait until my next race.
  • Believe_2012
    Options
    I'm a 44 year old single mother of a 14 year old. I will be 45 in July and I would love to lose 45 lbs before my 45th birthday. I started tracking my food intake on January 13th which was exactly 6 months until my birthday. I am going back to the gym and I am going to make a commitment to myself! I've just got to keep the motivation!!!!! Any suggestions and support will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @ld40: Congrats on the 5K time!

@Believe_2012: Re exercise -- having a goal like a race keeps one motivated to keep running/going to the gym.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    3 Mile Run today at a comfortable pace: 29m55s (10m18s+10m22s+9m15s), goal was to do the first 2 miles between 10m and 10m30s pace and pick it up a bit in the 3rd mile. I love it when a plan comes together :D
  • sdereski
    Options
    Ran my first 5K this morning. I went out a bit too fast, and slogged a bit around the 2 mile mark. Luckily the last quarter mile was all downhill. My goal was to be around 30 minutes, and I ended up finishing in 28.22. Had a blast, and can't wait until my next race.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you had a great time.:drinker:
  • sdereski
    Options
    Hi all,

I've had a quiet, lazy weekend. Home alone, so was able to sleep in and just do my thing. Did get the housework and laundry all done, then helped a friend move yesterday. It turned out to be such a nice afternoon, that I came home and ran 6.5 miles before the sun went down.

This morning started out much the same - nice n lazy, just doing my thing. My neighbour called and asked if I wanted to go snowshoeing. :happy: Whoot! So, out the door I went. We did the trails right out our back doors - there are miles of them. I was back home in time for my friend to come over. She does not have a washer & dryer, so I let her use mine, and we get to visit at the same time.

Made the best roasted butternut squash soup today. Mmmmm. Low fat and delicious!!! Perfect for after a day outside in the snow.

Just veggin now and getting caught up with all of you.
    Hope you all had a great weekend and have a lovely evening. :flowerforyou:
  • Mcdan65
    Options
    This is my first time using this app, I'm open to any suggestions. I'm a mom of four daughters ages 23, 20, 17, 15 and I have one granddaughter : )
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Sign me up! I'm 42 years old and started working out last August. I've lost 34 lbs but started on here 6lbs ago. I work out 5-6 days a week with a few days 2x. I have a personal trainer that kicks my butt many days,but I have challenges because of recent shoulder surgery and upcoming knee surgery.
    I'm looking forward to some extra support and discussions with other people walking the same path.
    Thanks