Shred/Couch to 5k hybrid

Options
Starting January 1st (yes, I know that was yesterday) I am starting a C25k/Shred challenge. I plan to do Shred Monday/Wednesday/Friday and C25k Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday or Sunday.

I'm breaking it up like that, because I tend to over estimate myself. I will start by doing a 30 minute excercise video, then 1 day I find that I have a little extra time so I jump on the treadmill. Before long, I am doing a 30 video and an hour on the dreadmill. The problem comes when I have a day that I can't dedicate an hour and a half to exercise. Since I can't do it all, I won't do anything. That will de-rail me for months. I know that it is dumb. Conciously realizing this tendancy should help me defeat it, but it hasn't so far. So instead, because I want to complete the C25k program and the 30 Day Shred, I will break it up like this.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone want to join me?

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'll join you.

I am a couch potato and just completed my first shred half an hour ago. It was hellacious.

I'm starting c25k as well but probably not till the 4th or 5th when I get my traction aids for my shoes for my bday :) Then I plan to alternate shred and c25k every second day. So i won't be on the same schedule as you but we'll be starting together.

BTW I am very out of shape and sedentary and before Dec 17th lived on a diet of junk food and diet pepsi. I have switched to cleaner, healthier eating and have lost 9 lbs since then: 7 lbs in week one and 2 lbs in week 2. Now its time to incorporate exercise. I am doing this for personal health betterment not as a new years resolution and since I get out of breath climbing one flight of stairs I'm really interested to see my progress and if I manage to keep with it.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    D1, L1 of Shred completed today.

I started c25k yesterday as well.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    D1, L1 of Shred completed today.

I started c25k yesterday as well.

How did your first shred go?
  • CricketKate
    Options
    This is actually my 3rd time through the Shred, though I haven't done it consistantly for several months. It was almost as bad as my very first time last January, I laid on the floor dying for about 45 minutes while my husband laughed at me.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    This is actually my 3rd time through the Shred, though I haven't done it consistantly for several months. It was almost as bad as my very first time last January, I laid on the floor dying for about 45 minutes while my husband laughed at me.

LOL, I can't work out in front of my husband and daughter, they just heckle and laugh so I understand. It took everything in me to not vomit after I was done and my calves failed on the first circuit doing the jump rope. One minute I was jumping and *oh shi-- I think I can't do this much longer and then next minute I was on the floor LOL! I'm kind of scared about being able to move tomorrow as this is D1L1 for me first time ever.
  • jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I did shred day one level one yesterday and I'm on week 4 day one of c25k. Would love to follow along with you guys! Shred kicked my butt!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Week 1, Day 2 C25k
  • Katetastrophe
    Options
    Did my c25k today. 2.25 miles in 30:10 seconds.
  • Katetastrophe
    Options
    L1, D2 of the Shred

It must be pretty funny to see. I watch Jillian and the others gracefully sit on the mat when it's time for abs. I sort of just fall where I'm standing.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    D2 of L1 finished. Whew!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Week 1, Day 3 of C25k
  • triski73
    triski73 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't started yet, but this was my plan! I have done both The Shred and C25K and they are both awesome. I HATE the jumprope!!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i am on week two workout 2 of c25k. i have no shred. i am loving the c25k and it is building up my confidence so that hopefully when i complete it i will be ready to shred or turbo fire or something else. :drinker:
  • aquapussy
    aquapussy Posts: 112
    Options
    Never tried Shred but did c25k and ran 10k (still do 10ks). Where would I start with Shred? I am always game for something new.
  • Katetastrophe
    Options
    Never tried Shred but did c25k and ran 10k (still do 10ks). Where would I start with Shred? I am always game for something new.

I would start with level 1. If that is too comfortable to you then maybe you could move up to one of the more challenging levels. (Level 1 leaves me praying for a minor injury just so I won't have to face it again.:blushing: ) I have seen other groups that piggy-back the workouts doing 1 level through 2x's or doing more than one level per workout. It all depends on your fitness level. My level is really bad.
  • Katetastrophe
    Options
    Week 1, Day 3 of C25k. complete.
  • jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's taken me all week to recover from shred day one/level one :sad: today is week 4 day 3 of c25k and i need to stop mfp-'ing and go do it!
  • Katetastrophe
    Options
    I did level 1 Day 3 of the Shred today. It was tough!
  • Katetastrophe
    Options
    It's taken me all week to recover from shred day one/level one :sad: today is week 4 day 3 of c25k and i need to stop mfp-'ing and go do it!

Great job getting that far on the c25k. I have started a few times and never gotten that far. This time is IT! I WILL do this!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Wow, the only thing that got me shredding today was getting it over with and knowing that it is not on my calendar again until Monday.

L1, D3 Shred