Who believes in Internet Dating?

Options

Replies

• 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I think people do what works for them. If it doesn't work out and they get disappointed, they feel like their partner is lying or cheating then perhaps they should try internet dating!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, good, bad and ugly things happen when people interact whether it is online or in person. Things can go horribly wrong or beautifuly right and I guess its simply up to each individual to make those choices depending on what suits them best at the time.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    my mom and step-dad met online... on match.com actually. They have been together 7 years married for 2.

I don't see how meeting someone online is any different than meeting someone at the grocery store, online profiles could be misleading but the person you meet IRL could be a total douche that is married with a family too.

Do I think online relationships are real? Sure do, a friend of mine met his wife online, in a chatroom. She was in Sweeden and he was in Canada and they have been married for 12 years now, the met, chatted for 6 months, he went over met her - was there 6 months, asked her to marry him, came home saved money to bring her over all the while still chatting online, his mom and dad actually flew her over here for a Christmas surprise and they were married on Christmas eve.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've used online dating on and off for about 7 years. I've tried eHarmony, Match.com, ChristianMingle, OkCupid...

I've had some of the WORST and funniest dates, but also met some nice people and had some fun dates. I've also encountered some truly dysfunctional creeps. Lately, the dysfunctional creeps have been winning. I'm giving it a rest while I work up the courage for another round of blind dates.

And yes, all internet dates are blind dates even if you've talked to the person for months ahead of time! No matter how much they tell you, how many pictures they post, or how honest they try to be it's just not the same as meeting someone face to face.

...Assuming they're willing to meet face to face. So many guys are shy or timid or really interested in some other girl while stringing you along with emails.
  • amandakrussell
    amandakrussell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually do believe in internet dating for a couple of reasons. The first is that you get to screen someone upfront so that you don't waste their time on a 1st and 2nd date. For example, I'm interested in men who eventually want children. Probably will be a 2nd or 3rd date question before I know the answer to that if I met them in person.

Second reason is that when you meet people through referrals, you will always have someone watching your relationship with a close eye. My roommate is dating a friend of mine, and whether I want to or not, I will be watching the relationship because it will influence her participation in my friend's activities if things go bad. If no one else knows the person, then no one else is going to be giving me advice I don't want or need.

Third, it gives me practice and gives me a bit of a callous edge when I'm rejected. I will have other opportunities, and they're just a click away.
  • yramesor333
    Options
    i wasnt looking for a online relationship ....was doing ICQ chat, to meet ppl around the world (i live in united states) ....met an awesome man from the UK !! talked online an phone for a year ,then he came here !! went back after his visa ran out ...then came baCK an we got married !!! been married 10 yrs now :)...if u asked me that ? 10 years ago i would of loled !!! but yes i do believe in it !!!! the way i see it you get to really get to know the person b4 you get to meet them....not like when u meet someone in a bar ,(dont no anything about there personality ect ) and the next morning try to do a coyoti ugly !!!! lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in it. I think it's all a lie! Like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Urban legend, for sure.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I met my other half online a few years back, never looked back! Everyone I know is trying internet dating and a few have found love. We are the only ones i know of that are getting married off the back of it
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in it. I think it's all a lie! Like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Urban legend, for sure.

:o are you saying santa doesn't exist?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Believing in internet dating is like believing in santa, or the loch ness monster.
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.

94607_penampakan-ufo-di-taman-nasional-dartmoor--inggris.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm married and never tried internet dating, but I do personally know 5 married couples that met on the internet. In 1 case they were from different countries. In another from different sides of the U.S.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I found my husband online after giving up completely on internet dating sites. lol. We met on a message board and just randomly started talking one day. Well, he lived halfway across the country so it was several months before we could meet in person, so we kinda kept it cool until we could meet in person. Well, we met in person and instantly knew we were each other's "one!". 2 1/2 years later of blissful marriage and a sweet 10 month old baby boy - definitely happy that the internet was the tool to help us find each other.

You just have to be careful just like you would any non-internet dating relationships.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    Hmm it can work as long as there is trust.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Urban legend, for sure.

:o are you saying santa doesn't exist?

I'm still unsure about that one. It was in The Sun, though. If it's in The Sun, that means it's true.
  • change_happens
    Options
    I didn't realize internet dating was actually dating online... Not being able to see the other person or be with them. Those that I know who have done internet dating, they chat online and then eventually meet and date... The normal dating.

Personally, I wouldn't find someone online because of all of the weirdos out there, and about the trust issue... If someone is going to lie and be dishonest, they won't necessarily always be behind the computer. It is hard to trust anyone these days.

An old frind of mine loved internet dating, everyone was always concerned about her. She would give uis all her date plans for the evening to protect herself. Anither old friend met her fiance online. After all of these years they are stil engaged... It's been ten years.

I guess it works for some.
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    Just to add.
    When I first met my now husband I did not fancy him at all. It was more of a physical eww than ahh and it was only after we became friends that I saw there was much more to him than first impressions.
    Now I fancy him like mad, I adore him and our 4 children. He is my teammate and best friend and it sometimes gives me shivers that I could have passed him by because I judged on first impressions. If we had met online we would have hit it off straight away because we are soul mates. If that person is out there they will find there way to you. I met my husband in a ski shop because it was the only one open at that time, I could have just as easily met him on a dating site because it was the only one I had heard of. Happenstance and cupids arrow are not lost online.
    Also don't knock internet relationships. I have some fantastic friends on here who I hold very dear to me. I may never ever meet them. It is the modern day pen pal system and I think if it is helping people find help,. love and support then who are we to knock it?
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Met my husband via AOL chat rooms and we've been together 13 years. I love him more every day. :heart: That was after a series of friendships I developed via the Internet (not through an Internet dating service - I tried Match.Com with no luck) but I met some of my favorite people in the whole world through the Internet.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I definitely couldn't carry on an entire relationship over the Internet. However it's a great way to meet new people. Where it goes after that is up to the people involved.

I mirror this opinion totally!

I think it's a little creepy and odd if someone wants to have their whole relationship "online" - but it seems like a great way to meet other people with the same interests etc.

I did not meet my partner online, we met during part-time jobs while we were studying, but as someone who doesn't spend a lot of time drunk in bars (which is where most of my friends have met their partners!!) I imagine that if I hadn't met my partner, I wouldn't have ruled out online dating as it's probably a likely place to find someone compatible.

We also have friends that have met through an online dating website and are now engaged - so I'm pretty sure it works!
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    I didn't realize internet dating was actually dating online... Not being able to see the other person or be with them. Those that I know who have done internet dating, they chat online and then eventually meet and date... The normal dating.

Personally, I wouldn't find someone online because of all of the weirdos out there, and about the trust issue... If someone is going to lie and be dishonest, they won't necessarily always be behind the computer. It is hard to trust anyone these days.

An old frind of mine loved internet dating, everyone was always concerned about her. She would give uis all her date plans for the evening to protect herself. Anither old friend met her fiance online. After all of these years they are stil engaged... It's been ten years.

I guess it works for some.

There are weirdos in real life too. I know, I dated most of them......
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    What?! Santa isn't real?!?!? :sad:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    A success story on my side. I met my partner online and after months of messaging and phone calls, we decided to meet. She was in North Carolina and I was in Kentucky. So we met up in Tennessee. We continued meeting at neutral locations until I felt safe enough to bring her to my house. She is the only person I have ever "dated" from the internet.

This month we will joyfully celebrate our 11th anniversary of actual living together and making a committment to each other. Hopefully one day we will be able to marry legally in the US.