Tall women??

Options
Hi,

I'm 5ft 11 with quite a narrow frame. When I was 22 (2004) I weighed 140lbs which was too thin for me. I was a size 8/10 (uk) and had fit into one size 6 dress. Everyone around me told me I was too thin, but of course I thought I looked great. ANYWAY, fast forward after my daughter I had significant weight gain - 210 lbs is what I weighed and was a uk 16.

From June 7th - September 3rd I lost 32lbs. I'm now inbetween a 12-14. I put on half a stone over Christmas and have joined here and am committed to losing another stone at least. I now weigh 184lbs.

My question: How low weight would you consider ok for your height???? Of course to many stopping at 160lbs still sounds big, but when you're tall it isn't. I struggle with that sometimes though :)

Thanks,

Frankie

Replies

• kingkimi1213
    kingkimi1213 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Heyy =D Great job on your progress so far!

HAHA Im 5'10 so I know how you feel!!! To me, 160 would be just about perfect on myself. I remembered being 5'7 and weighing 116 and looked starved!

Good luck!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also a tall girl...just over 5'11" with a narrow frame. I struggle with the same things. Hearing other girls talk about their weight and mine sounds so high but it's really not because I'm so tall. When I was in High School and my early college years I was 125-130 ...definitely too skinny but not because of anything I was trying to do just because I had a high metabolism. Then over the years and now three kids later it's slowed and I can't eat like I used to without gaining. The heaviest I was (not counting while pregnant) was 186 before I had my first daughter 5 years ago. I lost weight with each of the three pregnancies because I adopted better eating habits and gave up beer/wine so by the time I had my third child in January 2010 I was down to the low 150's. I quickly went back to my old habits and found myself climbing the scale again. When I hit 160 I told myself enough, then 165, then 170, and finally at 176 I joined MFP and got serious. I'd like to get down to 155 again. That is definitely thin on my height and frame but it gives me some wiggle room. Once I get there I'll evaluate maybe going to 150 but that is the lowest I'll go. Sometimes when I see girls complaining they are 150 I feel bad but I have to remind myself that at my height I carry more weight.

Good luck to you! If you are looking for any friends for support feel free to add me!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am not sure the difference between UK and US sizes. At my heaviest I was getting into a size 14 US. When I started MFP I was comfortably in a size 12. Now I bounce between 10 and 12. I'm looking to get back to a size 8.
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    i'm 5'9 and would be comfortable at 150 or 160. i'm pretty curvy so any smaller than that would look weird.
    congrats on your progress!
  • rebecca_d35
    Options
    I know what you mean! Weight is a whole different thing when you are tall. I'm 5'10" and was very thin (but very healthy) at 145. Now I'm at 160, size 8, and look okay but would love to get back to 145. I don't have a narrow frame, though.
  • fabulousthirty
    Options
    Yay other tall women :) !!! Congrats on all your weight loss!! I think between 150 and 160 will be small enough for me too.....I just struggle when people (like me lovely sis-in-law) go on about their weight and she weighs 98lbs !!! Or when I tell people I've lost 32lbs and they look at me strange when I tell them I'm still 184 - that sounds SO huge to all my shorter friends! :)
  • LadyKatie2010
    Options
    I am 5'11.5
    I would kill to be about 180-200 range. I don't look good super skinny. it makes me look sick. I look better "curvy".

I would say do whatever you feel good in! Its your body after all...you're the one walking around in it. Get to where YOU are comfortable. :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to say... I'm 5'9" and would prefer to be 130 - 135, where I was in my profile pic last year. I'm currently pushing 165. That being said, It's amazing I can stand I have such horrific muscle mass. If I improved upon that, I'd be happy at a higher weight.
  • nsrob75
    Options
    Hi Frankie,

I'm tall too. I'm only now recommencing my weight loss journey. Being a tall, big framed lady- my numbers always sound staggering! Rather than comparing numbers with your petite framed friends or just looking at the number on the scale, try calculating your BMI (body mass index) Divide weight in kg by height in m squared. The ideal BMI is 20-25 and is most healthy. Above that you go into the realm of overweight and then obesity.

That is a much better way of assessing a healthy weight for you.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and currently sitting around 150.. I want to get down to 140.

I personally feel I look better thinner then I do heavier... but anything below that 140 and I think it would be too thin.
  • Andilea19
    Options
    5'11" here. I have a large and very muscular frame. I look my best at 175-180. I have quite a ways to go to get back there.
  • CherylR165
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and currently at 189.2. Everybody tells me I shouldn't lose anymore weight, but my goal is 165. I certainly could lose at least another 20 lbs. Being tall, 20 lbs on me is like 10 lbs on an average height person. I think you should play it by ear and see how you look and feel. Everybody's body is different. Once you get closer to what you think your goal weight is, you might feel differently. Good luck!
  • jodieunited
    jodieunited Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    im 5ft 11" and weigh 159lbs so size 12-14 (uk) , to me i know i look much better around the 140lb mark.
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Im about 5'9 .. I want a goal weight of 145-150 lbs :) feel free to add me!!! So we can all help support each other through our journeys :)
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Also.. I have been doing this for about 2 months. I am on a 1200 calorie diet... set my goal to lose 2lbs per week but I have only lost 6.. I just upped my calories to 1350 yesterday and was wondering if any of you have had this problem? Im hoping I lose more now! Thanks everyone!!:D
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 10in and aiming for 161. Happy with that as I am quite large in the chest region. Ideally I want to fit into a UK 14.

There is a very good tall ladies group on MFP (Totally Tall Women of MFP) which I recommend you all join :smile:
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi

It is hard to say how much your ideal weight is - as we are all so diffierent. Body frame, muscle mass etc - all different.

I am 5'9" - and currently weigh in at 165lbs - ( UK 11st 11lbs?) - To me that is still too heavy - but I have been doing a LOT of running and 30 day shred etc - and can tell that I have so much more muscle mass. I wear UK size 14 on the bottom and a 12 on top ( US 10 and 8?? not sure). I actually look a better shape in person than that sounds ..

My lowest ever adult weight was 130lbs. I looked terrible - and felt pretty bad. I achieved that by starvation - coffee and cigarettes! So, I won't be doing that again. I would prefer to be somewhere in the 140lb region -but until I stop all the running it ain't gonna happen. :)

I also get a bit fed up when all the petite girls say ooh - 7stone this 8stone that. Pshaw.....

At least being tall we can hide a few lbs here and there.
  • Nektariosmom
    Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How do you join Totally Tall Women of MFP?? Besides just replying... Thanks
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Select Community at the top of the page, then select groups from the sub heading below, search for your group, select the correct group and it will give you the option to join.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 5ft 11 with quite a narrow frame. When I was 22 (2004) I weighed 140lbs which was too thin for me. I was a size 8/10 (uk) and had fit into one size 6 dress. Everyone around me told me I was too thin, but of course I thought I looked great. ANYWAY, fast forward after my daughter I had significant weight gain - 210 lbs is what I weighed and was a uk 16.

From June 7th - September 3rd I lost 32lbs. I'm now inbetween a 12-14. I put on half a stone over Christmas and have joined here and am committed to losing another stone at least. I now weigh 184lbs.

My question: How low weight would you consider ok for your height???? Of course to many stopping at 160lbs still sounds big, but when you're tall it isn't. I struggle with that sometimes though :)

Thanks,

Frankie

Hiya! I relate to your post because I'm 5'10" and always used to be really skinny, then gained weight with having kids.

I think there are several ways to determine an ideally healthy weight.

One is BMI - which is basically a ratio or height to weight. It doesn't take muscle-to-fat ratio into account, or skeletal frame. It's a very rough guide, at best.

Another ratio that may be much more useful is the waist-to-hip ratio. This focuses more on how much fat you may be carrying around the abdomen, which correlates fairly closely to health issues. When I'm thin, I'm a stick... and when I gain, I gain in my belly. I'm an "apple." So, this ratio is useful to me. Here's a link about it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/hip_to_waist/hip_to_waist.shtml

Then, there's aesthetic appeal. Do you like the look of sculpted muscles and six-pack abs, or do you think looking like a catwalk model is the ideal? Then just go with what you see in the mirror or photos of yourself. There's no telling what you'll weigh when you look any given way until you achieve it.

Finally, you might go for general fitness: strength, endurance, and health: if you are running 10k's regularly and climbing mountains easily, you may be content with whatever your strong, healthy body looks like.

I aim for a sort of combination of waist-to-hip ratio and the general fitness. I'm never going to wear a bikini, again. I just want to be healthy. I was 130 or so in my 20's. I don't expect to be that way, again. But, I like to be able to wear size 12 and I want to run 5k's and climb munros with relative ease.

I'm not even really sure why I've got a weight loss ticker. I've set the goal to 135 lbs just to see if I can do it? I probably won't. If I do, I can't imagine I'll stay there. I think my weight naturally settles in around 145-150.