Coffee????

Options
I am making many changes with my eating habits and one of these includes my morning coffee. I like it with lots of Splenda and flavored creamer. I have not had any at all since Jan. 1st, but it's killing me! I am trying to stay low carb, low calories. Any suggestions on what are good alternatives to Splenda and flavored creamer? I can't drink it black. Blek! Thank you.

Replies

• mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    You can have my coffee....when I'm dead! Somethings you just don't have to give up....sex and coffee are two!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Curious as to why you chose the low carb/cal route, do you have a metabolic disorder limiting your carbs? If not you may find your diet a little easier to adhere to, if it wasn't too restrictive
  • SeeEmRun2012
    Options
    I am making many changes with my eating habits and one of these includes my morning coffee. I like it with lots of Splenda and flavored creamer. I have not had any at all since Jan. 1st, but it's killing me! I am trying to stay low carb, low calories. Any suggestions on what are good alternatives to Splenda and flavored creamer? I can't drink it black. Blek! Thank you.

Maybe try some vanilla soy milk. It gives great wholesome flavor and its good for you too...unless that's too many carbs and sugar, but at least it has some health benefits. :)
  • Hoothill
    Options
    I'm a coffee addict, too!! What I'm doing, and I sure hope it works, is to decrease the creamer and sugar slowly. My thinking is that I'll feel the change "less" and become accustomed to it more easily!!

Good luck... and please let me know if you find another workable method:wink: d!!!!
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I do the Low Fat International Delight French Vanilla Creamer. My morning coffee is sacred to me, and like hell I'm giving it up. :)

Amy
  • GinaKiss89
    Options
    Try getting rid of just the creamer first; many calories add up fast with those little additives. I still have my morning coffee with a packet of Splenda - yes, I worked down to just one too. Then I switched to Diet Caffeine Free pop or water, even the 0 calorie flavored water in the afternoon and night. I just can't drop the caffeine all together. If you were able to get away from it, hooray for you!! That's really tough. Best of Luck!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Stevia instead of sugar?

Some people can do it. I am not one. But it is sweet.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I have given up sugar and use only the one serving of the flavored sugar free creamer. I have gotten used to it that's really all i can say i have given up my daily diet coke as well and have it as a treat now. I don't like my coffee black but have gotten used to the less sweet taste.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just measure your creamer and limit yourself. 2 TBS of fat free hazlenut is only 50 cal. I put that in my first mug, then I just add black coffee to it as I drink it up. You don't have to give up anything you like. It is silly to punish yourself.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Curious as to why you chose the low carb/cal route, do you have a metabolic disorder limiting your carbs? If not you may find your diet a little easier to adhere to, if it wasn't too restrictive

This! ^^

What's wrong with Splenda? I say go with Splenda and low calorie flavored creamer.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Stevia instead of sugar?

Some people can do it. I am not one. But it is sweet.

I tried stevia, I couldn't stand the taste either.
  • hannahdiaz2
    Options
    Well the Splenda isn't too bad. It's 0 calories. But maybe try Stevia. Also 0 calories and its more natural supposedly. Also they make lighter versions of flavored creamer. Coffeemate makes sugar free versions of vanilla and hazelnut which are lower calorie. Just make sure you measure how much you're using and count it in your daily intake.
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try slowly decreasing the amount of creamer and sweetener that you put in your coffee. I LOVE my coffee and refused to give it up. I use plain powdered creamer and REAL sugar :love: I slowly picked cream or sugar to decrease and drank coffee for about a week that way. Soon I didn't miss it! I did it again to whatever I hadn't decreased and waited a week until I was used to it again.

You can add some flavor by trying flavored coffee with regular creamer too!

Good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Here's the progression of my coffee drinking over the years:

based on 12 ounce cups...

10 years ago: 3 packets of sugar and a huge pour of flavored creamer (this almost makes me gag thinking about it now)
    5 years ago: Just a huge pour of flavored creamer
    1 year ago: 2 packets of sugar and a huge pour of half & half
    Now: 1/2 tsp of sugar and 1 Tbsp. of half & half...but the trick here is that I new brew our coffee with cinnamon in it (put it in the filter before the grounds). Not only are there health benefits of the cinnamon, but it drastically cut down on the sugar and creamer I was putting in!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Coffee is extremely low in carbs. So is splenda. Try to stay away from the flavored creamer. Check the nutrition label. Find creamer that has 1 or 2g of carbs per tablespoon.

Unless you're drinking a 12-cup pot of coffee every two hours, you should be able to fit in a cup or two per day into a low carb diet, regardless of the reason you're on this diet, with a couple packets of Splenda and a tablespoon of creamer.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It is one thing to give up some stuff that you kind of like and another to cut stuff out that you love. I love my coffee with creamer and will make room for it in my diet any day that I really want it. I kind of like cake. I can live without cake. I eat it rarely now. I am not a happy person when I remove my coffee. I also love chocolate. I make sure that I have some small pieces of really good chocolate around for when I want a piece. That keeps me happy and better able to keep everything else in check. If coffee is one of the things that truly keeps you happy, I would advise keeping it.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Flavored soy milk :)

But really, 40 cals for creamer isn't going to hurt. When you start giving up too many things, that's when a "diet" becomes too hard to maintain. You need to make changes you can stick with.

ETA: My morning coffee is only 45 cals. 0 coffee, 35 creamer, 10 one packet of sugar (YES SUGAR! i'm going to dieting hell.)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Here's the progression of my coffee drinking over the years:

based on 12 ounce cups...

10 years ago: 3 packets of sugar and a huge pour of flavored creamer (this almost makes me gag thinking about it now)
    5 years ago: Just a huge pour of flavored creamer
    1 year ago: 2 packets of sugar and a huge pour of half & half
    Now: 1/2 tsp of sugar and 1 Tbsp. of half & half...but the trick here is that I new brew our coffee with cinnamon in it (put it in the filter before the grounds). Not only are there health benefits of the cinnamon, but it drastically cut down on the sugar and creamer I was putting in!

do you taste the cinnamon?? I usually have a cup or two a few days a week, and only drink regular or decaf. No flavored coffee. Even the smell of flavored coffee makes me gag. I have heard benefits of cin. but dont know if the flavor would be a problem....
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I use plain half and half, one tablespoon per mug which is 20 calories and .5 carb. I have weaned off any sweetener but lately I have been adding half a Tablespoon of a flavored syrup which calorie-wise is around 25 but carbs are higher since its all sugar, about 15.

I can drink it with just skim milk but I enjoy it better when I add a small amount of sugar to take that bitter edge off.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yep, not giving up my coffee here. Or my flavored creamer. I can cut down in other areas.