does anyone have recipes for low fat "manly" meals???

Options

Replies

• jeckyb
    jeckyb Posts: 60
    Options
    thank you, its ok its my fault i should have stated that at the beginning :)
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Please pay attention to WHAT you are quoting. We are discussing loss. You are discussing gains. Even in your direct quote. There is a big difference between gain and loss.

"Abstract: Objective: We studied the effects of weight loss induced by either a low-fat normal diet (ND) or restriction of high-fat diet (HFD) on hepatic steatosis, inflammation in the liver and adipose tissue (AT), and blood monocytes of obese mice. Methods: In mice with HFD-induced obesity, weight loss was achieved by switching from HFD to ND and maintaining on ND ad libitum or by restricting HFD intake to match body weight of mice with ND-induced weight loss. After diet interventions for 4 weeks, hepatic steatosis, hepatic and AT inflammation, and blood CD11c<sup>+</sup> monocytes were examined. Results: At 4 weeks after switching diets, body weight was reduced by 23% from baseline. To achieve the same reduced body weight required restricting calorie intake from HFD. Weight loss with either ND or HFD restriction decreased body fat mass and ameliorated liver steatosis; both effects were greater with ND-induced weight loss than HFD restriction-induced weight loss. Weight loss with ND but not HFD restriction normalized blood CD11c<sup>+</sup> monocytes and attenuated hepatic inflammation assessed by chemokine and CD11c expression. In contrast, weight loss with HFD restriction significantly reduced chemokine levels and CD11c<sup>+</sup> cells in AT compared to obese controls, and tended to reduce AT chemokines and CD11c<sup>+</sup> cells more than ND-induced weight loss. Conclusion: In mice with diet-induced obesity, weight loss with ND was superior in alleviating hepatic inflammation and steatosis, whereas weight loss with HFD calorie restriction provided greater amelioration of AT inflammation."

Wang Q, Perrard X, Wu H, et al. Differential effect of weight loss with low-fat diet or high-fat diet restriction on inflammation in the liver and adipose tissue of mice with diet-induced obesity. Atherosclerosis (00219150) [serial online]. November 2011;219(1):100-108. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 4, 2012.

The goal of this research synthesis was to separate and articulate questions that had clear meaning, were empirically addressable, and were germane to the broad question “Is fat fattening?” Four such questions addressing the effect of varying the proportion of dietary fat on body weight and body fat were formulated. A comprehensive review of electronic citation databases was conducted to identify studies that addressed each question. The results of the studies addressing each question were tabulated and summarized, and an answer for each question was formulated. The results indicated that whether “fat is fattening” depends on exactly what one means by the question. It is apparent that under conditions of energy deficit, high-fat diets lead to greater weight loss than low-fat diets, but under ad libitum feeding conditions, instructing persons to follow a low-fat diet promotes loss of body weight and body fat.

Shikany J, Vaughan L, Baskin M, Cope M, Hill J, Allison D. Is Dietary Fat “Fattening”? A Comprehensive Research Synthesis. Critical Reviews In Food Science & Nutrition [serial online]. September 2010;50(8):699-715. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 4, 2012.

Abstract: The present study tested the hypothesis that a saturated fatty acid (SFA)–rich diet is more obesogenic than diets with lower SFA content. In 8 female Sprague-Dawley rats fed a low-SFA canola or a moderate-SFA lard-rich diets at 67% of energy for 26 days, body weight gain, final body weight, obesity index, and food and energy intake were comparable. Twenty-nine rats were fed canola or high-SFA butter-rich diets (67% of energy) or chow for 50 days; then high-fat feeding was followed by ad libitum low-fat feeding (27% of energy) for 28 days and by a food-restricted low-fat diet for 32 days. High-fat feeding resulted in a greater body weight gain (P < .04), final body weight (P < .04), and energy intake (P < .008) in butter-fed rats than in canola- and chow-fed controls, after 26 or 50 days. Ad libitum canola and butter low-fat diets or chow feeding resulted in similar weight change, whereas food-restricted low-fat diets led to comparable weight loss and final weight. Canola-fed animals adjusted their intake based on diet energy density, whereas lard and butter-fed animals failed to do so. Abdominal fat (P = .012) and plasma leptin (P = .005) were higher in chow-fed controls than in canola-fed rats, but comparable with those of butter-fed rats. Prone and resistant phenotypes were detected with high-fat feeding. In conclusion, only feeding the high-SFA butter-rich diet led to obesity development and failure to adjust intake based on the energy density and preserving body fat even after weight loss. The high availability of SFA-rich foods in today''s obesogenic environment could contribute to develop and maintain obesity.

Hariri N, Gougeon R, Thibault L. A highly saturated fat-rich diet is more obesogenic than diets with lower saturated fat content. Nutrition Research [serial online]. September 2010;30(9):632-643. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 4, 2012.

I could find more for you if you want - just let me know!

First mice and rats' metabolic pathways =/= humans' Things like DNL occur at a much greater rate in them then humans (i believe it's 10x greater rate)

and the bolded section would go against your assertion that high fat intake while in a caloric deficit makes it harder to lose. When in actuality assuming protein is held constant, it makes no difference in weight loss if you are eating high cho/low fat or low cho/high fat

http://www.ajcn.org/content/20/10/1104.full.pdf

http://www.ajcn.org/content/21/11/1291.full.pdf

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/92/11/4480.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8968851

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8561057

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2319073

I'm sorry. Surely you read the complete statement - a low fat diet leads to loss of more body fat, even though weight loss may be equal. Loss of more body fat can mean a decrease in adipose based hormones, like leptin, which in the long term will result in more success in weight loss and maintenance of the new weight.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The way I started was to take meals that I knew they would like and adapt them (or find adapted recipes for them) - using ground turkey instead of ground beef, pork tenderloin regularly makes an appearance as well, as well as chicken breast. I'm cooking for a husband, and two boys (12 and 9) so there are rare occasions when I get the nose in the air from my pickiest eater (my 9-year-old). But he has learned that mom takes a long time cooking meals that are healthy and nutritious. He has to try them. If he really doesn't like it, he's free to make himself a turkey sandwich or PB&J. There have been flops, there will always be. The key is finding out which ones are a thumbs up so you can keep them in the rotation while you try out new dishes. There is a wealth of recipes on the internet to get your started. I'd say try a few things, encourage him to give his honest opinion and remind him that it takes a bit for those taste buds to change and he might actually get used to eating this way (and feel better doing so!).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I make whatever it is I want to eat in a balanced meal, but he'll eat more of the mac & cheese or pasta or bread or rice or potatoes than I will, and I'll eat more of veggies than he will. No need to make separate meals.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't like it, then I assume he can make his own dinner.

^This. I tell my husband, either eat what I cook, or call Pizza Hut.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Welcome to my house. My husband knows he is free to break out he PB&J ANYTIME he doesn't like what I'M cooking. He is a big boy, he will adjust.

Same goes with my hubby. There's the oven, here's a frozen pizza, you can feed yourself when I'm done making the dinner you didn't care to eat!

Saying that, I've found that if I just don't tell him what's in the meal, he doesn't *****. I make a mean Chicken Alfredo (or with Shrimps), and he loves it. LIttle does he know that I actually make it with "low fat" cream cheese, "low fat" parm, Skim milk and whole grain pasta, among other "less manly" items. Sub healthy stuff like ground turkey/chicken into Hamburger Helper and stick to ONE serving. His recent favourite meal? Chicken fried rice (with whole grain rice and a buttload of veggies).
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Heres one i like...

Steamed rice and chicken breast marinated in pineapples and then throw some more pineapples on top of the chicken breast n throw in the oven!

or if in a rush then just throw spices on chicken breast, slice of cheese at the last 5 min of baking, bistro rice, and serve!
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Sooooooo what do you do if you enjoy cooking for them and you strive to cook a great meal that they love? To me that great gratification if i cooked healthy and and he loved it. My fiance is a chef so cooking is something he knows and i am a pastry chef so savory is not my specialty but i try hard and i think there are ways to make our men happy and healthy!
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Fat Burning Chicken Taco Soup! So deliscious everyone will love it.

I love this my husband would love this while its cold!
  • deftanker
    deftanker Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Cobra meat.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Let him try to catch and cook that!!

Honestly, I have been using healthy slow cooker meals and they are pretty damn good. Chili mac tonight, tortilla soup, roast beef... etc etc
  • smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    I NEVER cook anything, but my wife uses skinnytaste.com, and we eat very tasty, healthy, meals from there. P.S- None of their meals have ever made me feel emasculated :)

Thanks for this link!
  • smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    hiya :)
    i'm looking for recipes that are low fat and low in carbs. my boyfriend isn't liking my new healthy meals,i really dont want to have to make 3 seperate dinners a day,one for me,one for him and one for my 1 year old. if anyone can help that would be great :)
    thank you

Good grief. I'm disappointed so many posts tell him to make his own then. I love cooking for my hubby (and he appreciates my efforts) and although he puts up with some of my healthier meals - I still like to cook things he likes even though they don't fit into my personal menu. I really just try to make a great protein for us and then the sides are different for both of us. He may have mashed potatoes and I'll have mashed cauliflower. He'll have corn and I'll have grilled zuccini. He recently bought us the george foreman and it has made grilling REALLY fun!

Enjoy cooking for BOTH of you!! :)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options

Sooooooo what do you do if you enjoy cooking for them and you strive to cook a great meal that they love? To me that great gratification if i cooked healthy and and he loved it. My fiance is a chef so cooking is something he knows and i am a pastry chef so savory is not my specialty but i try hard and i think there are ways to make our men happy and healthy!

Good for you. :flowerforyou: I, on the other hand, do not enjoy cooking, so you better enjoy it when I randomly decide to do it! :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Surely you read the complete statement - a low fat diet leads to loss of more body fat, even though weight loss may be equal. Loss of more body fat can mean a decrease in adipose based hormones, like leptin, which in the long term will result in more success in weight loss and maintenance of the new weight.

"under ad libitum feeding conditions, instructing persons to follow a low-fat diet promotes loss of body weight and body fat"

So under free eating conditions, instructing a person to follow a low fat diet promotes the loss of body weight and fat, however how is food intake being monitored and tracked under free eating conditions? If it is self reported data, because that is notoriously inaccurate. Also how do you adequately control for all confounders in a free eating situation?

And what determines a "low fat" diet?

And again holding protein and calories constant there will be minute if any differences in weight/fat loss between high/low fat or high/low cho diets, which was shown in the controlled metabolic ward studies i presented
  • Pancake86
    Options
    Turkey salad with kidney beans! The turkey is the manly bit hehe
  • kkleinbr
    Options
    I use the cook yourself thin. I just omit the things for my husbands dish he wont eat. The recipes are really good. My ten yr old loves them.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Don't go low carbs. We manly men need our energy and that comes from carbs. As for low fat, any lean meat will work. Veggies, sweet potatoes, etc.
  • redhedqd
    Options
    Yes yes, if he wont eat what you cook them make his cook his own damn dinner.
  • fionafudge
    Options
    'Manly' Curry

1 Tablespoon of olive oil.
    2 Red onions, thinly sliced.
    2 Large cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
    1 Teaspoon of freshly grated ginger.
    2 Green chillies, thinly sliced.
    1 Teaspoon ground corriander.
    1 Teaspoon ground cumin.
    1 Teaspoon black mustard seeds.
    1 Heaped teaspoon of turmeric.
    800g of sweet potato diced with skins left on.
    375ml vegetabble stock.
    150g spinach, coarsley chopped.
    Large handful of fresh corriander leaves, coarsley torn.
    1 Tablespoon toasted flaked almonds.

Method
    Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, garlic, ginger, and chilli.
    When the onion has softened, add all the spices and heat until they are becoming fragrant.
    Add the sweet potato and stock and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the sweet potato is soft. At this point add the spinach.
    Once the spinach has wilted, the curry is ready to serve. It is best served with brown rice to further increase its nutritional profile.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The comments that the hubby can make his own dinner are not helpful... Some women still enjuoy making a dinner for the entire family that all will enjoy! And why dirty the kitchen twice?!? Find ways to slowly get everyone on the same or similar menu, then the whole family benifits and can eat together and have quality time! Remeber eating dinner as a family and talking about your day?!? Good times that we strive to have still in our household!

I'm so glad you said this! This is what I was thinking exactly. My husband does not cook, but I love to cook. He grumbles over healthier stuff too, and I try not to make anything too "diety". It's a challenge, but I do not expect him to make his own meals - I try to compromise. I was feeling really bad for the person who posted this topic. Don't be rude people - some women are still "homemakers".