Thigh Gap Desires

Options

Replies

• SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Can see that girls entire ribcage every time she breathes in that video, clearly doesn't look like a healthy weight to me.. But that's just my opinion.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going.

:laugh:
  • Ladyloraella
    Ladyloraella Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm not into it to be honest. I like slim, toned legs but gaps tend to look a bit bowed legged. If it's a small one then I guess it can look ok but it's not a priority of mine.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies here, but let me tell you why I personally would love to have the gap. It's about comfort!! I love wearing long skirts, and I cannot do so without leggings underneath because the thigh rub leaves my skin raw! It HURTS! And let me tell you after walking around Vegas this past July for hours, I had to buy an ointment to put on the burn marks that it left. SO, at least for me, it's not about looks... That being said, I am not specifically working out and eating better just to have a thigh gap. If it happens, then awesome! If not, there's always baby powder ;)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Since I've always been fit and trim, I've always had a thigh gap to greater or lesser degrees, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I absolutely love it, and the bigger it is, the more I feel like I can just throw on any clothes and feel confident in it.

As others have mentioned, you can't really control where your body puts on fat - but you can control how much fat is on your body. Also -- my thighs do have muscle, so don't assume everyone with a thigh gap is weak. For all of those people who are saying that they have "thunder thighs" from working out -- keep that muscle, muscle is our best friend, but do yoga to increase flexibility and get that long, lean muscle definition, rather than short bulky muscles.

Yeah you look "trim," but you don't look fit at all, you actually look anorexic (you claim you have muscles, if this is true, I'd be curious to know how much you can squat ;). By posting your picture and bragging, you are only helping to perpetuate this myth that all women can achieve a thigh gap. You're right that overall fat %age plays a big role, but genes more than anything is going to determine if it's really possible (the example of the fit woman and daily runner who got lipo just to achieve a "thigh gap" proves this!). The fact is, many women would probably kill for a body like yours, but it's just not possible, nor does it look too healthy or fun to get to that size- I assuming you deprive yourself regularly. Try and be more sensitive and stop putting crazy ideas in people's heads. Your just as bad as the media that bombards us with pictures of women who look like you (and again, they only look that way because it's in their genes!). Be happy that you got the genes that allow you to wear whatever skinny jeans you want, and realize that other people were not born with those same genes.

Cerrajean, I think you are right on target with a healthy attitude and taking the right approach. Because your taking a more realistic approach, you're much more likely to stick with your plan and continue to see results in the future.

The point of MFP is to support each other towards better health and weight loss. We shouldn't be focusing on such trivial things. Before you let your fingers spew out whatever thought pops in your mind, try and consider if the advice your giving is even helpful.

I'm glad the original poster has taken the time to read and think over everyone's posts, and hopefully will take it to heart as she continues her journey towards fitness.

Oh, and finally, the whole yoga "long lean muscles" is a complete myth. You need resistance to build muscle, and yoga just cannot offer the level of resistance necessary. Do your research.
    I'm reading through this now because all the different responses are interesting, but I have to say that you are just RUDE. Your comments are inappropriate and unnecessary and it's really not your place to tell someone that they "look anorexic" "I assuming you deprive yourself regularly" and ". Your just as bad as the media that bombards us with pictures of women who look like you." YOU are purposely trying to make someone feel bad about the way that they look, I don't think you have any room to talk here. Sorry, but I found your post to be incredibly offensive.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this thread to my dad today. He pointed out that, back in his day, the biggest cause of 'thigh gap' was rickets....

It might be sensible to question why this is seen as a desirable look for women.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i wanted a thigh gap for the longest time, but even at an extremely low/unhealthy weight only achieved through starvation, I didn't have a thigh gap. It's just because I have narrow hips. It doesn't make me look fat (IMO anyways) even though I used to think it did, and a thigh gap wouldn't be some life changing thing that would suddenly make all the guys go "Damn shes got a big gap between her legs! That makes her a HOTTIE!" The truth is, most of them have no idea what a thigh gap is and never have/will notice whether you have one or not, unless you point it out. No girl is going to say "her legs touch at the top, therefore shes fat!" because, more than likely, their legs touch too! Just don't let it become a huge deal b/c it just may not be in the cards for you. That damned thigh gap is what led me straight into an eating disorder. Love your body just the way it is girl!! Look at Carrie Underwood, she doesn't have a thigh gap and is FAR from fat! Just be healthy:heart:
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't they have a store for this? Its called the gap.

As for a gap between your thighs, why? Let me tell you as a guy, by the time my eyes roam down to between your legs I'm not really going to care one way or the other.

If its for other ladies. Generally speaking, girls don't seem to care more about personality than looks.

If its for yourself, life is going to have a lot more disappointment than just a leg gap.

Go buy some jeans at the GAP, it will have a label. mission accomplished.
    :laugh: Exactly!! Thank you for telling these ladies this from a GUYS perspective. Every guy I've talked to has the same opinion about a thigh gap
  • weetamoo
    weetamoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" with wide hips. I recently lost weight, and then had a family crisis and could barely eat for 3 weeks, and lost an extra 5 lbs. People said I was too skinny and thought I'd been sick.... and I still didn't have a thigh gap. I never actually heard of a thigh gap before today, but I also don't think they're what makes a woman attractive. My sister has one, and it looks odd to me. Being firm with a little muscle tone, even if someone is a little heavier looks attractive to me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from. For those of you who don't get why someone might want a thigh gap, let me introduce you to the wonderful world of thigh chafe. If you've never had to put vaseline or lotion between your things just so you can wear shorts than you can't possibly understand. I'm dying for a thigh gap too. I'm so sick of the pain and getting those little bumps from chafing. I can't wait til I'm toned enough to wear shorts & skirts without tights!!! Good luck!!

I do not have a thigh gap, but I have strong, lean legs and no chafing. When I was heavier, I had it. It does go away, even without achieving the gap, when you reach a healthy weight and are fit.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options

http://youtu.be/9e72knKHWwE

^So this woman is doing this with no muscle or strength?

Can see that girls entire ribcage every time she breathes in that video, clearly doesn't look like a healthy weight to me.. But that's just my opinion.

Did you honestly just watch this clip and think "Wow, she looks unhealthy and out of shape"??
    To me, she looks like the most fit, strong, flexible woman I've seen. The epitome of health.

I'm tired of people assuming people are healthy or not based solely on their body type or exact number of pounds they weigh. Someone who exercises and eats healthily is not automatically unhealthy just because they're five pounds below the arbitrary BMI number, just like they're not automatically unhealthy just because they're five pounds above it. You cannot look at someone and know anything about their health. I have fat friends who exercise and eat healthily, and I have thin friends who eat crap and/or smoke cigarettes and drink all the time (and visa versa)

/rant.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Since I've always been fit and trim, I've always had a thigh gap to greater or lesser degrees, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I absolutely love it, and the bigger it is, the more I feel like I can just throw on any clothes and feel confident in it.

As others have mentioned, you can't really control where your body puts on fat - but you can control how much fat is on your body. Also -- my thighs do have muscle, so don't assume everyone with a thigh gap is weak. For all of those people who are saying that they have "thunder thighs" from working out -- keep that muscle, muscle is our best friend, but do yoga to increase flexibility and get that long, lean muscle definition, rather than short bulky muscles.

Yeah you look "trim," but you don't look fit at all, you actually look anorexic (you claim you have muscles, if this is true, I'd be curious to know how much you can squat ;). By posting your picture and bragging, you are only helping to perpetuate this myth that all women can achieve a thigh gap. You're right that overall fat %age plays a big role, but genes more than anything is going to determine if it's really possible (the example of the fit woman and daily runner who got lipo just to achieve a "thigh gap" proves this!). The fact is, many women would probably kill for a body like yours, but it's just not possible, nor does it look too healthy or fun to get to that size- I assuming you deprive yourself regularly. Try and be more sensitive and stop putting crazy ideas in people's heads. Your just as bad as the media that bombards us with pictures of women who look like you (and again, they only look that way because it's in their genes!). Be happy that you got the genes that allow you to wear whatever skinny jeans you want, and realize that other people were not born with those same genes.

Cerrajean, I think you are right on target with a healthy attitude and taking the right approach. Because your taking a more realistic approach, you're much more likely to stick with your plan and continue to see results in the future.

The point of MFP is to support each other towards better health and weight loss. We shouldn't be focusing on such trivial things. Before you let your fingers spew out whatever thought pops in your mind, try and consider if the advice your giving is even helpful.

I'm glad the original poster has taken the time to read and think over everyone's posts, and hopefully will take it to heart as she continues her journey towards fitness.

Oh, and finally, the whole yoga "long lean muscles" is a complete myth. You need resistance to build muscle, and yoga just cannot offer the level of resistance necessary. Do your research.
    I'm reading through this now because all the different responses are interesting, but I have to say that you are just RUDE. Your comments are inappropriate and unnecessary and it's really not your place to tell someone that they "look anorexic" "I assuming you deprive yourself regularly" and ". Your just as bad as the media that bombards us with pictures of women who look like you." YOU are purposely trying to make someone feel bad about the way that they look, I don't think you have any room to talk here. Sorry, but I found your post to be incredibly offensive.

AMEN.
  • SnuggleXPuff
    SnuggleXPuff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh I have the same problem with my thighs. Even when I was really skinny they would either touch or almost touch. Like someone said before me, a lot of it has to do with genes. I'm short myself (5'5") and I have short legs and a narrow pelvis so I think no matter what they are going to be close to each other or touching.

If anything, maybe you can try walking/running to tone that area up?
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options

Did you honestly just watch this clip and think "Wow, she looks unhealthy and out of shape"??
    To me, she looks like the most fit, strong, flexible woman I've seen. The epitome of health.

I'm tired of people assuming people are healthy or not based solely on their body type or exact number of pounds they weigh. Someone who exercises and eats healthily is not automatically unhealthy just because they're five pounds below the arbitrary BMI number, just like they're not automatically unhealthy just because they're five pounds above it. You cannot look at someone and know anything about their health. I have fat friends who exercise and eat healthily, and I have thin friends who eat crap and/or smoke cigarettes and drink all the time (and visa versa)

/rant.

i hadnt watched the video til now cause i didnt know what he was talking about.. this women is not underweight! her ribs are exposed when she breathes in deep because she doesnt have a fat torso. im still over weight and my ribs show on top because i just have really large bones.. this lady clearly has big muscley thighs and a smaller top half. youre so right about the 5 pounds under 5 pounds over judgement.. some fat people are healthy and some really thin people are perfectly healthy too
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

/rant.

I watched that video and thought "Holy monkey, I WISH I were in that kind of shape!" That girl is a badass!!!
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    GUY HERE, And I myself am working on perceived physical flaws caused by excess bodyfat. And I may get flamed for this, because I realize that you guys aren't necessarily doing it to please the opposite sex. But, FWIW, I don't think I have ever discussed the physical attributes of a woman with other guys and the topic of "thigh gaps" has come up. Most guys i know like firm, toned legs of most any size . So, is this a girl thing?

I brought this up a couple of days ago with my boyfriend and he had NO clue what I was talking about. when i explained it and pulled up pictures his response was along the lines of "Well no wonder it doesn't ring a bell- I've been looking at womens' crotches since I was 6 (he's 33) and that doesn't appeal to me at all."

He went out to the market for breakfast yesterday and reported back that he'd spent that time looking at all the women around, checking for thigh gaps. What he saw was if it was there at all (only a couple seen at a very busy farmer's market) the woman they were present on had either very wide-set hips, or was a teenager. There were plenty of thin, healthy, active women there, lots in tights or jeggings since that's the trend here in California, but none had the thigh gap, and they looked fine. He said it actually freaked him out a little when he saw women with it because it doesn't seem natural.

So there's another male perspective- and I actually tend to agree with him and this gent above. The only difference is that I *have* heard a guy speak of 'the gap' as an awesome and desirable trait - but trust me, that guy was a slimy d-bag whose opinions weren't really valid anyway.
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned with what might fill the gap....

I just cackled. Cackling is so unattractive on a woman of a certain age...

But SO therapeutic! I laughed at this too. I was doing a Jillian Michaels dvd tonight and noticed that the girls backing her up - the fittest of the fit - had no thigh gaps. It's just not possible for some people.

Me, for example- I was reminded during that workout DVD of how knock-kneed I am. Literally can't stand with my feet together and legs straight, fully extended without the knees having to be wedged together like a hinge. I would look like some weird malformed circus freak if I had a thigh gap.
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    i remember a guy saying to me once that he hates seeing a large gap between girls thighs as it made them look bow legged lol!!
  • addietea
    Options
    Anyone can obtain a thigh gap, but there are a lot of variables that play a huge part in getting it.
    Just like many things body-related, getting an inner thigh gap is LARGELY influenced by genes. Some people have bodies that are built in a way that favors them having the gap. If your like me and you don't have hips, or your body fat/muscle is most prominent in your thighs and butt, then more work is required to obtain the gap. Remember that not everybody needs a gap, it's a personal preference and if it's something you desire then pursue it.

For tall people with smaller hips and athletic legs I recommened jogging, or walking, for at least an hour and a half, four times a week. Stretch before and after for atleast ten minutes, focus on the back and inside of your thighs. Check out blogilates, specifically the post on inner thigh gaps. If you have wider hips, the above will work too, probably quicker. If your shorter look into doing the above combined with something like hot yoga, that really works at lengthening your legs and stretching your hips.

If the main concern is just fatloss in that area, walk a lot. Walking burns more fat than running does, so walk in the neighborhood or at the gym for atleast 45 minutes. Jumproping is also a great way to burn fat, just make sure you jump for more than 30 minutes and you stretch well before and after. Incorporate the pop pilates workout on blogilates to really focus on toning your inner thighs.
    Anyone can achieve the inner thigh gap, it just takes dedication and work.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yeeeeaaahh let's just say it sucks to have your jeans wear thin between your legs because your big thighs are rubbing together...or when you're wearing shorts and your skin chaffs....it's NOT fun. :C I just want to be able to move without feeling that grossness...