How did you meet your significant other?

Options

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    My husband is my high school sweetheart - next month is our 19th anniversary....

I was a cheerleader - junior year at an away ball game - saw a friend of mine (one of the varsity boy players) sitting down before his game talking to this HOT guy.....later on I asked who he was and he told me it was his distant cousin....well while they were sitting there talking - he asked who I was and my friend told him I had a boyfriend and he said - Not for long!

It took me a while to decide to go out with him since I was 16 and he was 21 - I thought he was too old. But he kept coming to games to see me and the rest is history, a great long history!

When someone asked me recently this same question - I told the same brief story and my son heard us talking - the age difference triggered his attention - when I was done talking my 12 year old said Mom - isn't that illegal! :laugh: We all laughed and said it is now!
  • pford03
    pford03 Posts: 27
    Options
    I love hearing how others have met, but so far no other blind dates. Yes, I broke my one hard and fast rule for myself, NO BLIND DATES! My best friend called me and told me about this wonderful guy that was her husband's best friend and convinced me to go on a double date with them. April 28th will be 25 years! I guess some rules are supposed to be broken.
  • stephaneyh
    Options
    On a bad note...mother-in-law from hell!!

:grumble: Yeah, I've had one of those. A real interfering B - - - h. I vowed the next time I would only date men whose parents were either dead or lived out of state, and believe it or not, my current husband's parents died long before we met and my own parents lived 3 hours away, so, I've been able to concentrate on MY life for once without having to jump and run on every single holiday and weekend because someone's mother was having issues or a 'family' event.
  • mom24qties
    mom24qties Posts: 112
    Options
    When I met my husband, I was engaged to someone else! My husband was my brother's roomie in the army, and I went to see my brother for his birthday. :wink: Next thing I know, I went back home, broke off the engagement and got married four months later!!! This past year we celebrated our 20th anniversary, we have four beautiful children and are still "hot" for each other!:heart::bigsmile: :heart:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

For the ladies here in your early 20's....TAKE YOUR TIME...NO RUSH
    I personally think that there should be a minimum age requirement to get married....LOL
    OF COURSE everyone and every situation is different but you truly change so much over a very short period of time in your 20's

I met DH when I was 16 and went to see a movie.... but we got there too late and missed seeing the flick and had to wait for our ride
    He was hanging out with some of his friends and my friend and his friend started talking
    We didn't talk that night but the next night my friend set us up on a double date
    We dated on and off (mostly on) and got married when we were 28/29
    We just celebrated out 7 yr wedding anni

Kim
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I sent off $49.99 to Russia and 6 months later, she arrived.

I get the biggest kick at getting her to say "Moose and squirrel"

Does she call you Boris? :huh:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I love hearing how others have met, but so far no other blind dates. Yes, I broke my one hard and fast rule for myself, NO BLIND DATES! My best friend called me and told me about this wonderful guy that was her husband's best friend and convinced me to go on a double date with them. April 28th will be 25 years! I guess some rules are supposed to be broken.

Mine was a blind date, too. One of my old college roommates set me up with one of her classmates from law school. Asked if she could give him my #. I loved his voice! We went out. Met in Sept, engaged at Thanksgiving and married the next August. It's been 12.5 years, 3 kids, and many moves since. I often say that we're married b/c he was the only one that didn't break up with me! (Every guy I dated i wanted to marry, no idea what i was doing or what i wanted (i was in my early 20's) but i got very very lucky with him!)
    We had a very small wedding with no music/dancing, but if I could, I would choose "Still the One" as our song. :heart:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Oh NO...am I being mad fun of and I don't even get it.....blonde moment....

:)

Kim
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    What a great thread and so many great stories. I agree with the comments to the singles that sometimes the best way to find love is to stop looking for it.

I met my hubby through my parents ... eek!
    We lived in a small village and my parents knew him from the local legion. My mom kept telling me that I should be with a boy like him, which of course just made me want to avoid him like the plague. One of my very first memories of him was after I had gotten my first tattoo (under my right boob). I ran into him and a friend of his and I was so excited that I pulled up my top to show him. Nothing fell out or anything but boy was he surprised. After that I was soooo stressed out that he would tell my dad about the tattoo (they worked together at that time) that I went over to his house and begged him not to say anything.

Anyways, a little wile later I moved out of my parents house at 17 (not because of the tattoo) and I moved into the house across the street from him. He was good friends with one of the guys I lived with and so we started to hang out. I wasn't looking for anything though because I had just gotten out of a bad relationship. However, he was irrestible and I quickly changed my mind. Best decision I ever made was to kiss him goodbye one night after watching movies. He told me later he couldn't sleep all night after that.

9 years later, I thank God every day that I get to sleep next to him each night.:heart:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Oh and my mom was right :laugh:
  • tabchanges
    tabchanges Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness, that is adorable!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I dated his younger brother's best friend for 4 years. During that time I met him twice but barely remember b/c those were my partying years. About a week after I graduated college we ran into one another and BAM we were in love!!! Who would have thought!?!?!

I :heart: my sweetie!!!
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I am another one that met my man online. We started chatting on LavaLife. As we got to know each other, we discovered that we worked in the same mall, only 3 stores away from each other. We met for lunch one day, but that didn't go well at all... I think we were in two different places at that time. He always told me he was attracted to me, but if we couldn't date then he didn't want to loose me as a friend. We became friends and over a year later we (meaning me) decided to give it another chance. We have beem together for 3.5 years, unfortunately we are currently in different cities and have been for the last 2 years, but things are still good. :heart:
  • nytoaz
    nytoaz Posts: 143
    Options
    I met my hubby at Happy Hour. :happy: My friend had invited me to Happy Hour; it sounded like fun so I went along :drinker: (Little did I know, a guy in in my friend's office wanted to meet me, and had asked her to invite me to the next happy hour get together). That was 19 years ago, and we'll be married 17 years on 8/15. :heart: :heart:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    :heart: i love these stories too! thanks for starting the thread and everyone for sharing their stories:heart:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    When I met my husband, I was engaged to someone else! My husband was my brother's roomie in the army, and I went to see my brother for his birthday. :wink: Next thing I know, I went back home, broke off the engagement and got married four months later!!! This past year we celebrated our 20th anniversary, we have four beautiful children and are still "hot" for each other!:heart::bigsmile: :heart:

I'm scandalous because I was married when I met the Mr. I can definitely echo the PLEASE WAIT TO GET MARRIED thing. I was 23 and everyone else was getting married. We were married a whopping 4 months when I moved out and met my current Mr. Been together 5+ now and still hot for each other. He He.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    We lived across the street from each other growing up. We went to school together. I am 35 and we have been together since I was 19. Cindy