Does Anyone have their names constantly mispronounced?? Sia

Options
15678911»

Replies

• tadbiggs
    Options
    Al the time.... you would think Tad as in Tadpole would be easy to pronounce, but heck I am called Ted, Tod, Pat all the time:laugh:
  • AudreyRenee19
    AudreyRenee19 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My name is Audrey, but I get Audra and Abre all the time.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My name is Casey............. Like KC or Casey at bat (remember that one??)........ but because Im a girl, 90% of the time people call me Cassie, Stacey or Tracey...................... Fun Stuff.

I had an older gentleman ask me if I was a boy (to my face) because as he put it "Casey is a boys name".................................. :grumble:
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    My name is Casey, and people are constantly calling me Cassie.

Even worse, very few people seem to be able to spell my name. Invariably, when I go to Starbucks, the name on my cup will be spelled "Kacie" or "Kacey" or even "Kayci." I mean, really?

I had a student who's name was Casey but pronounced "Cassie". I always pronounced it wrong (I see Casey and prononce it like "KayCee", but would never spell it that way!!). If I hear a name that I know there are multiple ways to spell it, I always ask.

As far as anyone saying my name wrong, Jessica is pretty straight forward but I have people that insist on trying to call me by my last name, Tracy.
  • taraatwood
    Options
    same isssue!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    People always mess mine up. It's Liliana. Some people say "Lillian" and I'm like, "Did you miss the "a" at the end?" And I had a professor at university really butcher my name as "Lie-Lay-Aa-Nuh". I wouldn't think it's that difficult, but it turns out that having strangers at a bar say my name can actually be a really funny sobriety test. :laugh:

BTW it's pronounced "Lil-ee-ah-nah" :wink:
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    My names Dominique.. a unisex name, I know. Still, it has been pronounced as 'Domi-NICK'

No! It's not spelled like 'Dominic'. It's got a 'Nique' at the end.. like saying the word unique

Funniest mispronunciation though was when a friend of mines fresh from Japan gave it a go. 'Doe-me-knee-ka' [hard emphasis]
    I offered him a nickname he could call me, but he was persistent. Needless to say, I gave up and accepted it as it was.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Someone brought up a good point. I hate giving out my name at Starbucks or other food truck places where they call out your name or write it on your order. They NEVER get it right, even when spelled out to them. (Especially Starbucks--spelled out while they hold the pen in their hands...lol)

If I`m in a hurry or in an unforgiving mood, I`ve given out false names before.

Has anyone done this? If so, what was it?

I once was tempted to give the name "Wonderwoman". I just wanted to hear the barista yell it out in the middle of a crowded Starbucks.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    My last name is Begley. Beg. Lee. Begley.
    I've gotten Bee-glee, Bay-glee, Bee-gull, Bag-lee. I had a teacher call me Bagel outright. His last name was Liptack, so I just referred to him as Lipstick until he got it right.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Also, my fiances last name is Koziara. Most people, fairly enough, pronounce it as Ko-zee-air-uh or Ko-zee-are-uh. Its actually pronounced Koz-AIR-uh, or if you're pronouncing it in Polish, its Ko-jhar-uh, like kind of blending the z into a soft J. It was very confusing to figure out at first :laugh:
    I reay liked the name Katarzyna (Kuh-tar-jhin-uh) which is Polish for Katherine for a girls name. But it would get butchered :laugh: So I'm gonna go with Teagan Olivia (pronounced Tee-gan). Still unique but a little more simple than katarzyna :P
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm Jessamin and usually go by Jessie which is hard to bugger up, really. But when I go by Jessamin I get Jasmine or Jez-man quite a lot. I wouldn't think it would be that hard. Jess. Uh. Min.
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    I'm going to take a lot of pride in knowing that I got 97% of these names write.

I'm Brianny Mickiela (easy as last name). brie-ya-nie mi-kie-la. It's ridiculous but in my mother's defense, Bryony is a legit name and Brian is my father. For whatever reason, no one gets it right. My FATHER says it wrong. (He likes to omit the 'a'.) Brie-ahnie, Branny, and Brie-annie make the rounds. After 8th grade, I finally went with "Bri" as an easy alternative then people started calling me "Bry". Now I just go with Be and wait for people to jack that up.

My girl's middle name is Leah but pronounced lay-ah. She HAAAAATES when people say it's Lee.

My mom is Jaimee. I still can't spell it "normally".

I will admit.... There is some crazy spelling for normal names going on here. lol. I got the Polish ones easily but not the normal ones. haha
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    haha this is funny
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Someone brought up a good point. I hate giving out my name at Starbucks or other food truck places where they call out your name or write it on your order. They NEVER get it right, even when spelled out to them. (Especially Starbucks--spelled out while they hold the pen in their hands...lol)

If I`m in a hurry or in an unforgiving mood, I`ve given out false names before.

Has anyone done this? If so, what was it?

I once was tempted to give the name "Wonderwoman". I just wanted to hear the barista yell it out in the middle of a crowded Starbucks.
    Yep - I just give Joanne instead of Roanne, it's a name they'll know and I'll recognise when it gets called out.