Does Anyone have their names constantly mispronounced?? Sia

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Not my first name, but my last name is Vallandingham.

It's phonetic. It's easy. Landing, with Val on one side and ham on the other.

It get's mipronounced so many different ways.

Invariably, when someone like a bank clerk hears my name, they will say either: "That's a long one." or "That's a mouthful."\

my reply is always, "That's what she said."
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I'm Jenna. (Jen-nuh). People always call me "jee-nuh," jenny, or jennifer (how the HECK did you get that?), or try to spell it Jeanna, Gena, Jena.

My last name is Coffee. When people ask how to spell it, I say, "Like the drink."

I get...Coffey, Coffe, Cofee, Coffeey...and I think, "Is that how you've spelled coffee your whole life?"

ETA: My name is phonetic, so I don't get the mess-ups. I could, however, understand mispronouncing names with foreign origins, or non-phonetic spellings.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Not my first name, but my last name is Vallandingham.

It's phonetic. It's easy. Landing, with Val on one side and ham on the other.

It get's mipronounced so many different ways.

Invariably, when someone like a bank clerk hears my name, they will say either: "That's a long one." or "That's a mouthful."\

my reply is always, "That's what she said."

I love you.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My friend Bob has had this problem his whole life.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My name is Summer Aims.

Yes...The season.
    Yes...Aims, as in "Aims the ball".

WHAT THE HECK IS THE ISSUE??? I don't even want to get into the ways people SPELL my first name...Oh yes, there is confusion.
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My friend Bob has had this problem his whole life.

that made me lol so much!
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    People always say Mary... but it's Mari... like M-AH r E

My name is also Mari (rhymes with sorry, or calamari). I get Mary, Marie, Marnie, Marty, Marcia, Margot, Marlie, Maura, Maury....

But I love my name!
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My name is Casey, and people are constantly calling me Cassie.

Even worse, very few people seem to be able to spell my name. Invariably, when I go to Starbucks, the name on my cup will be spelled "Kacie" or "Kacey" or even "Kayci." I mean, really?

Funny!!! My name is Kaci, pronounced like Casey. People call me "Khaki" or "Cassie" alot.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Double post..see below :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Mine is 100% of the time but it's my mom's fault!!! My name is spelled Elissa, but pronounced Eh-Lee-Sah as if there were only one "s". So I can't blame everyone for calling me "Eh-Lih-Sah". :(
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My name is Jacci...pronounced like Jackie.

People never get it right...I'm always Jacci rhymes with Stacey
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    Ha! What Alissa said, except mine is Alisa - like A-Lisa...sigh
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    Yep...people constantly call me Mary! But my name is Marianne. I corrected one guy and he said, "whatever". So the next time I talked with him I called him George...his real name is Joe. Hahahaha
  • try2basunbeam
    Options
    Last name Sinnen...
    I get Simmons --I say, I'm not a mattress factory...
    Sinner...that's true enough
    Finnen...not a swimmin' sinnen...

Every time I have to tell someone my name...it's "s" as in Sam , "i", "n" as in Nancy, "n" as in Nancy, "e" as in Edward and "n" as in Nancy...yes, 3 n's.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    ME! People always say Gazelle, I'm not an animal. Jeez.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    carolinehearn I love your telephone response because I do the same thing. My given name is Zephra and rarely does anyone pronounce it correctly – sadly even people who have known me for the past 63 years!!! So when the telecommunicators call I know it is not someone that knows me and the name they pronounce is not me.

I worked in an office for many years and was also an OTR truck driver and after pronouncing my name I have still been addressed as Ethyl, Rebecca and various other names which really irritate me but after all these years I guess I should let it go. When I have to hand my DL over for ID they just look at it like they got hit on the head with a big rock! It was really bad when my last name was Reinitz.

People just don't pay attention to others is what I think it boils down to.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Good lord, I know all about this one!!

Okay, first name is Veronica but have been called Victoria more times than I could ever count. They remember the "V" and then just assume it's Victoria. No. It's not.

Middle name is Lea (pronounced Lee), but everyone pronounces it like Leah. Nope.

My maiden last name was Shell. Simple! Sounds just like it looks! But I constantly got called "Shnell" or people would spell it with a "c" in it. Really, it's not that difficult!!
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lauri. Rhymes with Sorry, not Story.
    Not Laurie, Lorrie, Lori, Laura or Lauren
    Last name Bame. Rhymes with Name.
    Not Bamma, not Baume, not Bame', not Bam.

36 years. And my married name won't be any better. Theis. How do you suppose we pronounce that? It isn't what you think . :)
  • adlwilmot
    adlwilmot Posts: 117
    Options
    Mine is Alexandra. The female version on Alexander. Simples, no? Well apparently not. I flip my lid each time I get a letter or email from someone saying "Dear Alexander". Barclays bank were probably the best; I filled in an application form for a current account which also doubled as an application form for a credit card. I ticked the "Ms" box and sure enough, my current account was set up in the name of "Ms Alexandra xxxxx" However, the dumb idiot who inputted the info for the credit card obviously missed that box and couldn't read either, cos the credit card arrived in the name of "Mr Alexander xxx" I phoned them to point out the error and asked them to rectify it, to which they refused, saying that I was female and the card was in the name of a male. DUH!!!!! I threatened to go and max the card out as "Mr Alexander xxxx" didn't exist. Eventually they cancelled the card at my request. Idiots! It's "Alexandra". Got it?!?!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    my madien nmae is Fuhrmeister (fur my stir) people have coem up with some crazy stuff.

My married name is HammAck not HammOck