Most annoying comments people make about dieting

Options

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    "You're too young/skinny to be on a diet!"

I get this mostly from women who are very overweight themselves and 15+ years older then me.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law called her son/my husband on Thanksgiving curious to know what we were having. All of the side dishes were all from scratch, much healthier versions and the turkey was stuffed with mirepoix, fresh lemons, herb-bundles, and I made sure to have one truly luscious and naughty dessert, and I also made a much healthier option for dessert for me.... His mother asked "when is she ever going to make you real food?"

I heard my husband tell her pretty damn blunt "if real vegetables, real herbs and real ingredients arent real food, what the hell are YOU eating, Mom?"

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, my husband loves my homemade stuffing, he loves my cauliflower au-gratin, what the bloody hell does SHE care? This is a woman who has had two heart attacks, a stroke and refuses to change her eating habits per her doctor's instructions... She can kiss my a**!!!!
  • allegedglobalconspiracy
    Options
    "muscle weighs more than fat"

errr, no it doesn't!

LMAO!! That one kills me!
  • notgivingup2012
    Options
    When someone says.... "Losing Weight is so Hard"

Actually I think when I was 265, had trouble walking, couldn't find nice clothes that fit, refused to be in a picture..... That was the HARD PART... Getting thinnier is the easy part I think
  • KellyEdwards85
    KellyEdwards85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    mine is, when someone asks me "what have you been doing to lose weight?". I say, I've cut back a little on my eating and I exercize. They look at me like i'm crazy and say "I get so tired of hearing that". Well, ITS TRUE!!! Weight loss is all about math. Calories in - Calories out. Simple as that!!!
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I hate when people judge what I eat...or if they don't say something, they give me the 'look'. I've had freinds/family that say stuff like, "Is that on your diet?" and I told them, "Well, first of all, this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. And second of all, you are one to talk--you don't know what a portion is or what healthy is, and THIRD of all, this is MY lifestyle, not yours. So if I want a piece of candy, or a chip, I'm going to eat it!" I work my *kitten* off daily and watch what I eat consistently. Yes, I may eat a cookie, but that probably means I watched what I ate the rest of the day. And just because I had one, does not mean I had 5.

"Muscle weighs more than fat"...um no, a pound is a pound...it just looks different.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    This is a "lifestyle change" does not really annoy me just makes me think they are switching teams

Im on a journy also does not annoy me i just think its a bit of an over dramatic way to describe it
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I get real annoyed when MFP closes out my day and people comment to nit pick on me using mayo or BBQ sauce even though I am short like 825 calories for the day!!!!

This has happened to me only a few times, but it sure is annoying....especially when THEY are over their calories for the day! If I am under and had a great day, dammit, I deserve some ketchup. I keep my diary open to my friends to hold myself accountable. Thankfully most of them are very supportive and helpful with their suggestions. Some though try to tear you down because they themselves aren't doing so hot.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    While yes, a pound of muscle equals a pound of fat, they are different in density. A pound of fat fills more volume than a pound of muscle, therefore if you have one pound of fat on your midsection it would be larger than if you had one pound of muscle in it's place.

To return to the topic, thankfully no one comments on my weight loss except to congratulate me. I think it might be because I'm known to not tolerate BS about a subject that I am well versed in. I'll point out fallacies, and provide sources if need be.
  • stepoco
    stepoco Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I get real annoyed when MFP closes out my day and people comment to nit pick on me using mayo or BBQ sauce even though I am short like 825 calories for the day!!!!

Noooo! that is horrible that people on MFP would do that. It is not about completely cutting things out, it is about being smarter. We can have bad stuff sometimes (and mayo and BBQ sauce are not bad in and of themselves - just if it is a lot of it all the time)

This is years ago, but I knew I had gotten big when my grandmother went from "have some more of this (whatever food)" to "you don't need that."
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm guilty of saying "oh so are you not on your diet any more" but to be fair this was a day where my friend had put 3 Facebook status's mentioning McDonalds, KFC and alcohol in one day. I'm sorry but however you fiddle you're calories you aren't gonna have enough to eat what she was eating and still be under, I know, I used to try.
    OMG, I sound like a *****, just trying to be honest.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS SO GOOD.... CAN I HAVE SOME?
    HEALTHY FOOD DOESN'T TASTE GOOD
    LOOK AT THE NEWEST MEMBER OF THE ITTY BITTY TITTY COMMITTEE! I WENT FROM A 44FF TO A 36DDD. (THIS COMES FROM MY FRIENDS WHO ARE STILL OVERWEIGHT)
    THE ONLY THING I REALLY DON'T LIKE IS WHEN I'M OUT AND PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW ASK ME ABOUT MY ARMS AND THE EXCESS SKIN. LIKE A WAITRESS ON A FIRST DATE WITH A GUY, GAS STATION ATTENDANT, CASHIER AT THE GASA STATION. IT HAPPENS A LOT. I'M GLAD I'M GETTING IT CUT OFF SOON :)
  • curliefrii
    curliefrii Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Co-worker #2 - Do you ever eat?
    *Note - No b*tch, I don't.. so get like me.. WTF

hahahahahaha. Idiots. Not worth getting mad at just worth mocking.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When my coworkers tell me I am not eating enough.
    I am not stupid-- I eat when I'm hungry and I stop when I'm satisfied! It's like believe me, my problem isn't that I'm not eating enough! ;)
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options

I also hate "How did you lose the weight???" and they expect a 'miracle cure' answer. Watching what I eat and exercise... give it a go, it works.

Exactly! People are always expecting you to say something like Atkins, South Beach, [insert fad diet here]. It's like nobody wants to believe that exercise works. Or maybe they think that only people that exercise is for people who are already in shape?
  • EmChamberness
    Options
    lol basterd
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I just heard this in the kitchen at work, as a coworker was heating up oatmeal for breakfast:

Someone asked her if she's eating it because of her cholesterol. She responded 'no, my levels are good. Even when I was alot heavier, my levels were good, WHICH I DON'T UNDERSTAND'.

This annoys me. I am extremely overweight, and my 'metabolic' bloodwork (cholesterol and whatnot) is always excellent. Sometimes I wish people weren't so ignorant. You can be fat and be somewhat healthy. Not everyone is fat just because they eat too much, some people have underlying issues that help it along, such as PCOS, thyroid, etc.

Not really an 'annoying comment' per se, but just because I'm fat doesn't mean my bloodwork is always eff'd up either!

Sorry, had to vent for a second. :)
  • loserforlife
    Options

This has happened to me only a few times, but it sure is annoying....especially when THEY are over their calories for the day! If I am under and had a great day, dammit, I deserve some ketchup. I keep my diary open to my friends to hold myself accountable. Thankfully most of them are very supportive and helpful with their suggestions. Some though try to tear you down because they themselves aren't doing so hot.

RIGHT ON I put up a disclaimer on my info and unfriend that negitive person from my list. I am here to lose not be tore down over mayo and bbq sauce.
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    my Nana
    "you worked out this morning now your eating cookies?" (i had 2 and enough calories left) "your leaving to have dinner, but you just had two cookies" thank got my pop explained to her that the 2cookies were just an appetizer!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    "You aren't trying to lose weight, are you?"
    "Are you starving yourself?"
    "Don't lose any more, ok?" - always said by people much bigger than me
    "What's your secret?" - there isn't one. I just started taking responsibility for my body.