Swearing?

Options
TheDoctor90
TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
What are your opinions on it? I don't swear a lot, and it's usually when I get super mad at something...Like if I step in a puddle and it's as deep as my knee. I'll be like WHAT THE EFFIN BLOODY HELLLLLL.
But in casual conversation I rarely swear.

Reason I ask, I was having dinner with a girl last night and in every other sentence she was all It's 'fkin ridiculous' or 'and yeah I was like fk her'. So swearing within a normal sentence...

It was a complete turn off...I couldn't wait to be out of there despite her being good looking and relatively clever (she's at my uni). I could possibly have let it slide if we were alone...but it was a restaurant.

So is this also a turn off for other guys? Or girls...

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    There is a time and a place for it. I've actively been trying to cut back on my swearing because I personally find it unattractive when women swear (sexist I know, but thats just how I feel). When men swear I don't mind as much as long as they don't overdo it.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes I find it unattractive, especially in women. When it comes to men, if it's a rare occurrence used to emphasize something, then ok, as long as it's not overheard by strangers.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yes I find it unattractive, especially in women. When it comes to men, if it's a rare occurrence used to emphasize something, then ok, as long as it's not overheard by strangers.
    Language is an amazing thing. Why restrict yourself?
  • TheDoctor90
    Options
    Sexist as it may seem, I cringe more when women swear than me.
    But I do find 'softer' swear words funny and they are my forte.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm a lady so I don't curse during everyday conversation... :blushing:

But piss me off and I'll give you a huge F you. Apparently when I'm drinking F bombs are dropped as well.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I tend to use them in humor more than anger.

For example: We have cats, one of them is really good at making the litter box stink. It's bad, he takes a dump and RUNS from the room. Therefore, he is often referred to as "Sh***yKitty."

JM
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I personally curse like a sailor, I don't understand why curse words are bad. Especially when some people who "don't curse" say things like "frick" or "son of a monkey's uncle" ...you know what they mean so why is that not as bad as saying the actual word?

Even with my opinion on cursing though...I still am smart enough to know when I shouldn't use such words (ie. at work, near small children, etc)
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I like to type swear words out. It's always fun to see how my phone will auto correct it.
    I do cuss, not as much as I used to, and not in front of the kids..... apparently kids repeat EVERYTHING you say at very inappropriate times. :grumble:
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I tend to use the spongebob way of cursing - oh, barnacles; fish paste.
    I work with people who curse a lot so I started using the f-word like it was nothing. I realized that I had a problem when one of my daughters heard me say and asked me what it meant.
  • TheDoctor90
    Options
    I personally curse like a sailor, I don't understand why curse words are bad. Especially when some people who "don't curse" say things like "frick" or "son of a monkey's uncle" ...you know what they mean so why is that not as bad as saying the actual word?

Even with my opinion on cursing though...I still am smart enough to know when I shouldn't use such words (ie. at work, near small children, etc)

I don't have a problem with the actual words. Just when they're said in public places or are a constant.
    I replace swearing with other words. What the fudge. Bollocking hell. Shhhiuugar.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    imho, swear words are like strong spices. They don't belong everywhere, and some people can't handle them, but in some cases, very useful and perfect for the occasion! Also generally not good for use around children haha
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ooops! i swear all the time and really badly! and everybody i know swears alot too, i even grew up in a swearing household (mainly creole swear words though) i try not to swear infront of new people i meet though because i know alot of people dont like it but swearing comes out quite naturally wheather im happy or sad, LOL
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Sorry, but "fish paste" and *kitten* simply do not convey the same impact. Besides if my girlfriend said, "Baby come to bed and fish paste me", I don't know what I would do.
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options

oh good LMAO! glad to not be the only one
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It depends on my mood if I swear, but when I was younger and dating one of my criteria was that they were ok with me cussing. My husband didn't mind at all, but now that we are married and have a 1 yr old, so i sure don't cuss as much as I used to.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have to be REALLY mad to swear, otherwise my strongest is probably something like, "oh poop"!
    The reason for me is simple. I was mostly raised by my grandmother who drummed it into me that "people swear because they lack imagination and vocabulary". No matter how old I get my grandmother's programing cannot be overwritten.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Swearing is location appropriate.

At the dinner table - Not appropriate.
    Church - Not appropriate.
    Board Room - Not appropriate.
    Guest in someone's home - Not appropriate.
    In the bedroom - Could be appropriate.
    In traffic - Absolutely appropriate.

If we stop swearing altogether, the terrorists win.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Creative swearing = :love:
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Creative swearing = :love:
    Swearing = bad
    Swearing in a different language is completely fine though.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    More then I should but am careful where.