Swearing?

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Language is an amazing thing. Why restrict yourself?

Exactly this.

Remember language changes over time. Words that would have gotten you locked in the stockade a century back aren't even used anymore. And people then said the same things people say now, "It cheapens our culture to use such coarse language and what about the children?!?!"

And words you probably think are harmless, aren't. People would say "Don't swear. Say something like Holy Cow instead!"

Well "Holy Cow" is a phrase designed to mock the Hindu religion.

The idea that "poop" is a cute and funny word but "s#@t" will get you fined hundreds of thousands of dollars (if you broadcast the word) is simple and utter nonsense created by a society that isn't very intellectually advanced.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but "fish paste" and *kitten* simply do not convey the same impact. Besides if my girlfriend said, "Baby come to bed and fish paste me", I don't know what I would do.

Bedroom is a different topic altogether. There's a time and place for everything...
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    When I'm mad, I cuss like a sailor, as the saying goes. However, I have gotten much better in using stupid euphemisms rather than actual swears...so much so that I sound like a poorly dubbed movie on network TV.
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If we stop swearing altogether, the terrorists win.

^ HAH!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I don't have a problem with the actual words. Just when they're said in public places or are a constant.
    I replace swearing with other words. What the fudge. Bollocking hell. Shhhiuugar.

Really? I find that rather juvenile, to be honest.

I curse like a trooper. I am an Aussie, I think it's more culturally acceptable over there, frankly. Since I moved to the US I've noticed cursing is less common and less acceptable here, particularly the 'c' word! And definitely for women.

I curse as part of normal conversation, but not when there are children or delicate types around. I find overt references to religion and 'morality' far more offensive. If someone asks me to tone it down, I will do so. I find most people far less willing to change open references indicating homophobia, racism or other assorted prejudice than I am willing to reign in cursing. Everyone has their own comfort level.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Being honest, I use the "s" word too much. Mostly under my breath. I have a girlfriend who uses the "f" word all the time and it drives me nuts. I want to ask her why she feels she needs to say it so much.

Most of the time swearing doesn't bother me. My dad used to sware and I work with contractors all day. I do feel that there are definately places and times when swear words should not be used. Dinner with a guy (even my husband) woudl not be a time to sware. (Unless he pissed me off)
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I only curse in good company.

If I'm in good company, I curse like a longshoreman.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    It depends on who I'm talking to. If I know they don't like swear words, I don't use them. But if they use them, I use them also.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have you seen my profile? Haha but seriously, when I'm mad, all bets are off but in casual conversation I don't do it in excess.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    The whole notion of it being ok for men to swear, but unladylike for women makes me want to f*ckn scream.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    In a situation like that I'd also be turned off by the person. I don't swear much at all, I have to be really angry at something for curse words to come out.

I don't have a problem being around people who do swear, but as others have said there is a time and place for it.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

I don't have a problem with the actual words. Just when they're said in public places or are a constant.
    I replace swearing with other words. What the fudge. Bollocking hell. Shhhiuugar.

I curse like a trooper. I am an Aussie, I think it's more culturally acceptable over there, frankly. Since I moved to the US I've noticed cursing is less common and less acceptable here, particularly the 'c' word! And definitely for women.

I curse as part of normal conversation, but not when there are children or delicate types around. I find overt references to religion and 'morality' far more offensive. If someone asks me to tone it down, I will do so. I find most people far less willing to change open references indicating homophobia, racism or other assorted prejudice than I am willing to reign in cursing. Everyone has their own comfort level.

How is not swearing in public juvenile?
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

I think she is referring to using replacement words.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Creative swearing = :love:
    Swearing = bad
    Swearing in a different language is completely fine though.

Yes. Also, plain old swearing just gets boring.

*kitten*! = Meh...

*kitten* me raw till I bleed from my face! = Poetic.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the 3 Stooges episode:

Judge trying to swear in Curly Do you swear?

Curly No, but I know all the woids!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the 3 Stooges episode:

Judge trying to swear in Curly Do you swear?

Curly No, but I know all the woids!

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk :bigsmile:
  • Demwitted
    Demwitted Posts: 163
    Options
    Appropriateness of swearing is all about context.

Also, I have to say that I appreciate women that swear. I'm fairly certain I learned most swear words from my mom and grandma. It is incredibly sexist to say it's ok in men and not women.

My family is pretty foul-mouthed at times, especially my siblings-in-law. But we are always in the presence of my little 5 yr old nephew. We try to replace the swear words around him. It's kind of a game. My favorite is instead of "F* you!" you say "Q-U."
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/play/750/

Say it loudly, say it proudly.
  • RobynC79
    Options

I mean the use of childish 'replacement' words, when one can reasonably insert standard English prose alternatives. If you're offended by cursing, at least uphold the dignity of the English language by using it properly.

'What the fudge': What on earth..? What was that? What a shame... etc.

"Bollocking Hell": ... Bollocks is a mild curse word anyway, I would say about equivalent to the more traditional "bloody hell"..so I'm not sure you're improving anything by that substitution. If you're expressing annoyance, why not try 'Alas!' 'Unfortunate!' 'Goodness me!' or Damn! (If you feel like pushing your boundaries) or something similar.

"Shhhiuugar'... hm.. Shucks? Oops? Damn? or Sugar, I guess.
  • RobynC79
    Options

Yes. Also, plain old swearing just gets boring.

*kitten*! = Meh...

*kitten* me raw till I bleed from my face! = Poetic.

Indeed, poetic! I've always been a fan of 'B*gger me sideways!' Delightful AND creative!