Swearing?

Options

Replies

• cariliz
    cariliz Posts: 82
    Options
    I personally curse like a sailor
    Even with my opinion on cursing though...I still am smart enough to know when I shouldn't use such words (ie. at work, near small children, etc)
    Ditto!
    Sorry, but "fish paste" and *kitten* simply do not convey the same impact. Besides if my girlfriend said, "Baby come to bed and fish paste me", I don't know what I would do.
    I a-gree! What a turn off! Lmfao……Oh did I say F***?!?
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options

I don't have a problem with the actual words. Just when they're said in public places or are a constant.
    I replace swearing with other words. What the fudge. Bollocking hell. Shhhiuugar.

Really? I find that rather juvenile, to be honest.

I curse like a trooper. I am an Aussie, I think it's more culturally acceptable over there, frankly. Since I moved to the US I've noticed cursing is less common and less acceptable here, particularly the 'c' word! And definitely for women.

I curse as part of normal conversation, but not when there are children or delicate types around. I find overt references to religion and 'morality' far more offensive. If someone asks me to tone it down, I will do so. I find most people far less willing to change open references indicating homophobia, racism or other assorted prejudice than I am willing to reign in cursing. Everyone has their own comfort level.

The 'dirty c-word' is one of my favorite words! But, for me, it's like the fancy china you keep in the cabinet. I save it for extra special occasions.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Absolutely with you on this!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    There is a time and a place, and a restaurant on a date is not the time or place, I NEVER swore in front of my parents or my Children when they were growing up, I would not swear in public places, at staff in shops and businesses etc. I am able to moderate my language appropriately and I can be angry without swearing if I need to be, I am educated enough to let people know I am angry without using words that are not socially acceptable despite the prolific use of them by people who don't seem to be able to construct a sentence without them.

On the other side of the coin, I do swear in some circumstances and in some company, I use the C U Next Tuesday word more than most people I know, and I am known for it amongst my closest friends, but not by the people who live next door, or my boss....

My Canadian Husband on the other hand grew up in a different culture with different cultural norms, he swears a lot more in general conversation than anyone I know and has even been asked to moderate his language as there were children present, he uses words that I consider to be socially unacceptable a lot, and although I also use them, I don't think that they are words that should be used in the way he does. We are going to be Grandparents this year and I am going to have to keep on at him to watch his language when the baby is around.

For instance he uses the words bulls*it, crap, *kitten*, fart and b*stard and I grew up in a home that would not have used those words as they were considered swearing or at least unacceptable, BUT I say C**t and he doesn't
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Absolutely with you on this!
    That said I always chuckle at the first lines of "Four Weddings and a Funeral"! LOL!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I actually don't for the most part, and trying to rid it for good. But when I'm mad I let em fly. And when I'm trying to psyche myself up big time for something it's even worse - think Mike Tyson. I guess it does have its place, but I don't intend for others' ears.

I admit, when I hear someone that can't go without swearing every few words my judgment of them goes way down, in their intelligence and class, be it right or not.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    whatever...

Live and Let Live, I say
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I don't swear, but it's mostly because I have a really hard time code-switching so if I allow myself to swear once, I'll find myself swearing everywhere -- in church, when talking to my kids, to my mom, whatever. I used to swear like a sailor, but I would find myself saying the wrong thing in really inappropriate situations, so I just had to stop altogether.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I swear like a sailor :blushing:

However, there is definitely a time and place for it. I would never swear in front of my family, bosses, people like that. I also try to keep it to a minimum when on a first date or even just hanging out with a new friend. As I get more comfortable with someone, I'll let loose a little more often. However, if I know a particular person is offended by swearing, I'll make sure to control it around that person (I have a good friend who can't stand swearing and I'm constantly saying "darn it" and "fudge" around her, haha.)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    what the eff?
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    So I personally don't swear at all... But if other people do then I don't usually care as long as they don't use a million foul words in a simple sentence when talking to me.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended by any words, but I rarely swear!! I think constant swearing makes people sound ignorant. There are so many beautiful, descriptive, appropriate words to be used, why swear!? I wasn't raised in a household with parents who swore, at least not in front of me, so those words have never been part of my vocabulary.

My fiance, however, swears more than any other person I've ever known!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    While I do allow streams of inappropriate swears to flow from time to time, like a fine woven tapestry, I only do so around others I know will not have an issue over it.
    But to do so on a first date? Never.
    It's a bad habit to swear too much - it leads to inappropriate timing in the wrong company and in the wrong setting. I've become quite good at monitoring it.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't swear a lot but when I've stomped my toe, cut myself when cooking (which I do a lot) or burn myself (again, I do it a lot) there is usually an onslaught of words such as "F**k, B*****s, W**k, S**t".

I also remember when I was a child I overheard someone saying "People who swear have a lack of imagination."

I have a great imagination but when you burn yourself on an oven there is no time for imagination, say the first ting that comes into your head or cry.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The whole notion of it being ok for men to swear, but unladylike for women makes me want to f*ckn scream.

This! Swearing is something people.. BOTH genders, should be sensitive to the audience around them, but otherwise is expressive and ****ing awesome!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ive made men blush with some of the things I say,and cry
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    i cuss like there is no tomorrow. I really don't care. I monitor it at work and infront of my kids but even my kids know those are big people words. LOL Really if a guy doesn't like the way I talk it isn't going to work anyways. My friends and sisters are a bunch of foul mouths too. In fact my sister and I will often call each other a (u^t bag or bag o' (u^ts for fun. Words only have the power you give them
  • princesspeach577
    princesspeach577 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The whole notion of it being ok for men to swear, but unladylike for women makes me want to f*ckn scream.

This! Swearing is something people.. BOTH genders, should be sensitive to the audience around them, but otherwise is expressive and ****ing awesome!

Totally agree!
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I slip quite often with it. The problem is that I now have a 35lb diaper trashing Echo machine in the house. The other day I slipped with "ah F**k!!". Then from the next room I hear "Uh Buck".
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've got no problem with cursing and I can do it all day long. That being said, I agree that there is a time and place for everything. I do my best not to curse in front of kids (although they have been known to sneak up behind me and hear me). I don't curse when talking to my mom unless I'm quoting someone and even them I say "pardon my language" or "to quote" even though I've heard her curse. Actually, James Lipton, who hosted Inside the Actors Studio, had 10 questions he would ask everyone he interviewed. One of those questions was "what is your favorite curse word." I will admit mine is the f-bomb. I do hate the c-word though with a passion. Actually, it's not the word so much as the horrid, deragatory meaning it has taken on.