How can I add oatmeal to my diet when I hate it?

Options
washington_apple
washington_apple Posts: 22 Member
I have tried oatmeal in the past using the instant flavored kind and couldn't stand it no matter how thick/thin I tried it but because of the health benefits I wanted to try again and so tried with regular oats today adding in chopped almonds, skim milk, and honey. Yep, still hate it :(

What is the best way (other than those yummy cookies!!) to get oats into my diet without making them mushy?? If you've hated oatmeal in the past but can eat it now how did you do it??

Thanks!

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you like meatloaf use the oats instead of crackers/breadcrumbs. If you are eating it for the health reasons there are other things you can try such as quinoa and barley that are just as good for you but taste different.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the point of eating something you don't like? There's nothing in oats that can't be found in some other food.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest.. I've found alternatives to oatmeal as I can not get past the texture, taste, etc of it. *gags*

I know it has health benefits to it... so does broccoli but I'm not eating that either. You don't HAVE to eat things you don't like simply because they have health benefits. Find other things that you do like and are healthy.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    grind it in a coffee grinder then add it to yogurt or a protein shake
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Make some muffins. :smile:
  • AviaBatyah
    AviaBatyah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Make oatmeal pancakes. You can us flavor instant oatmeal and add milk or water tell it is pancake texture. Eat plain or jelly :)
  • muffin_shufflin
    muffin_shufflin Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Try blending it into a smoothie?
  • ptoleary
    Options
    Mix oatmeal with peanut butter.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Make oatmeal cookies. Life's too short (and there are too many healthy foods out there) to eat s#** you hate.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have tried oatmeal in the past using the instant flavored kind and couldn't stand it no matter how thick/thin I tried it but because of the health benefits I wanted to try again and so tried with regular oats today adding in chopped almonds, skim milk, and honey. Yep, still hate it :(

What is the best way (other than those yummy cookies!!) to get oats into my diet without making them mushy?? If you've hated oatmeal in the past but can eat it now how did you do it??

Thanks!

I make bean burgers. Basically equal parts beans and rolled oats. You can add spices, herbs, onions or other veggies to the mix. Use non-stick (fat free) cooking spray instead of oil to grill them in a pan. The oats hold the beans together and they keep well all. week.
  • sandy36104
    Options
    sound like my son the body builder.
    :laugh:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    what about cheerios , they are made with oats and have the same benefits as far as lowering your cholesterol. Why do you want to eat oatmeal? Is it for the health benefits or because they are filling ? you could also why cream of wheat it has a different texture. You could make turkey meatballs using oatmeal also
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I would just eat things you DO like. Have you tried barley, quinoa, lentils, wheat berries, farrow - even popcorn!
  • LizbethHeller
    LizbethHeller Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Before you decide that you hate oats, dump the instant oats! My view of oatmeal underwent a complete change when we started using Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (NOT the Quick Oats). You can make them in the microwave in 6 minutes at power level 5. My favorite way to eat them is with a tablespoon of honey and a splash of almond milk... or for a yummy change, a little splash of flavored coffee creamer.

Another version is Steel Cut oats, but they really are a pain to make.

And if after all that, you still don't like 'em... find a grain that you do like. :-)
  • washington_apple
    washington_apple Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is because of the health benefits and also because they are filling and it's an extra way to sneak in fiber. Plus I usually will just eat cereal or an egg sandwich for breakfast and so looking for another breakfast food when I get bored of those two. I've not tried the other grains and will look into those.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Hey I have an idea!!

Don't eat it!
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I just add a bunch of stuff to it. Like apples. My oatmeal was basically 80% apple, 20% oatmeal. Heh.

You could also try added skim milk to the oatmeal as well?
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Try Weetabix, I get it from Trader Joes but you can get it at other grocery stores. I'm obsessed. You can eat it hot or cold, hot it's mushy (which I love) but you might like it better cold. Or any other wheat cereal if you hate oatmeal.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Make oatmeal cookies. Life's too short (and there are too many healthy foods out there) to eat s#** you hate.

^^^ This is a girl after my own :heart:
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat Brown Sugar Healthy Grains type has more fibe than oatmeal and the texture is different....put some organic coconut oil and almond milk.....delicious