How can I add oatmeal to my diet when I hate it?

Options

Replies

• karrismum
    karrismum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I alo eat Quinoa instead of oatmeal they are higher protein and other good stuff.. and don't get slimmy...
  • karrismum
    Options
    'also' doh!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    My question to you is, why eat something you don't like?
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey I have an idea!!

Don't eat it!

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!!
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    if you don't like it don't eat it - simple.... find the balance within your own diet of things you like
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the texture of oats, although I do eat old-fashioned, which don't totally mush up like instant or even quick. This might be something you'd enjoy. The texture is creamy and dense to me rather than mushy/snotty. I eat this amount for a healthy snack, or double it for a bowl of breakfast cereal:

1/4 c. old fashioned oats
    1/3 c. water
    1 1/2 tsp. creamy peanut butter
    3/4 tsp. cocoa powder
    1 packet Splenda

Put oats and water in a cereal bowl and microwave for about a minute. Stir in the peanut butter until totally combined, then add the cocoa powder and Splenda and mix again. To me, this tastes like a chocolate no-bake cookie before it's set up!
  • karrismum
    Options
    cool! yumm
  • washington_apple
    washington_apple Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness thank you so much for all the ideas!!! Its not so much that I'm trying to force myself to like it but more need new ways to try it that gives it a different texture. I love oatmeal in cookies, bars etc but am struggling with having oatmeal as a breakfast. I will definitely be trying some of your recipes (especially the ones with peanut butter which is my favorite) and will let y'all know. My favorite cookies are oatmeal raisin and the chocolate no bake cookies are never ever safe around me either so again its not the taste but the texture I need to find a way around. Thanks again y'all are amazing!!
  • washington_apple
    Options
    Looking at how I posed my question I can certainly see I gave the wrong impression :/ Next time I won't try to post a quick question before my bosses see me on a message board instead of working :laugh:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Check out the Chocolate Covered Katie blog. She has some amazing oatmeal recipes.

This isn't from her site but its on my "to make" list:

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

2 bananas
    1 apple-peeled
    2 cups old fashioned oats
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon
    sweetener to taste

Blend banana and apple together in a blender. Pour into a bowl with oatmeal and remaining ingredients. Mix well.

Bake 375, about 1 Tablespoon per cookie for about 15 min.

Makes about 36 cookies, roughly 25 calories per cookie
  • washington_apple
    Options
    This sounds amazing and i always have bananas and apples on hand!

Check out the Chocolate Covered Katie blog. She has some amazing oatmeal recipes.

This isn't from her site but its on my "to make" list:

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

2 bananas
    1 apple-peeled
    2 cups old fashioned oats
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon
    sweetener to taste

Blend banana and apple together in a blender. Pour into a bowl with oatmeal and remaining ingredients. Mix well.

Bake 375, about 1 Tablespoon per cookie for about 15 min.

Makes about 36 cookies, roughly 25 calories per cookie
  • timminsd
    Options
    Have you tried the Better Oats -- Oat Fit for only 100 calories. I think it is very good and does not have the same texture as other oatmeal. I do not have to add anything to it. It comes in all different flavors.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to eat oatmeal? Is oatmeal magic?
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you hate it then why eat it? There are other healthy foods for you to choose from!
  • jennmiller37
    Options
    have you tried the Paleo version of oatmeal? It contains zero oats ... Here's the link, I hope you enjoy!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/no-oat-oatmeal-its-no-atmeal/#axzz1it224DpR
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    but maybe she doesn't really hate it if she's basing it on not liking instant? Why not try new things again? Our tasters "grow up", too. and...there are so many health benefits, so why not?
  • rayleansout
    Options
    put a couple tablespoons in yogurt, or mix it with your favorite flavor of protein powder
  • AndreaDaPrincess
    AndreaDaPrincess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love oats.....i eat them everyday and I can't imagine anyone not liking oatmeal. My suggestion is to learn to like it...hold your nose when you swallow.....mix your favorite flavor it with it....just do it. url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]13358597.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter!!!
  • AndreaDaPrincess
    AndreaDaPrincess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bake it!

Recipe:
    3 cups quick-cooking oats
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and butter. Stir into oat mixture until blended. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until set. Serve alone or with milk.

Yield: 9 servings.
    Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 318 calories, 14 g fat, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.